LISTEN: Reacting to the 49ers Drafting Ricky Pearsall →

There are 292 users in the forums

Your favorite Niners that weren't very good

Shop Find 49ers gear online
I apologize if there was a thread created for this before, but with some lovable players starting to flame out on the current roster, it has been on my mind. List some of your favorite Niners that you had strong affinity for, but they were never really elite players. No Bryant Young, Patrick Willis, etc. - they were elite, even if they aren't to the level of Rice and Co. No complete joke answers unless you can explain a true emotional connection...I'm looking at you, PJ Fleck, Nate Davis.

Some off the top of my head:
- JJ Stokes: I had the jersey, and he made just enough plays to stick around for a while. I was a kid, and in my youthful enthusiasm truly thought he would break all of Rice's records.
- Terry Kirby: maybe it was just the name, but I cheered him wildly during his one season cameo.
- Derek Smith: Tackling machine until he wasn't, and he stuck it out in some bad years before making way for Willis.
- Andy Lee: a master of an underappreciated craft.
- Bruce Miller: until those things that happened...
- Kendall Hunter: should have been Sproles 2.0, but couldn't stay healthy.
- Alex Smith: perhaps a cheat answer, but we all know that the full body of work was. Still, if I have a son, I want him to carry himself and behave just like Alex.
- Tarell Brown: made some straight up plays, but never made the final step.
Jason Webster was my favorite niner as a kid 😂
  • thl408
Cool thread.
Marquez Pope, Arnaz Battle, Lee Woodall. All were solid, unspectacular players but for some reason I had a special rooting interest for them.
  • Chief
  • Veteran
Arnez Battle
Manny Lawson
Kevin Barlow
Shaun Hill

Lol
[ Edited by Chief on Oct 26, 2018 at 5:42 PM ]
  • jcs
  • Veteran
Originally posted by thl408:
Cool thread.
Marquez Pope, Arnaz Battle, Lee Woodall. All were solid, unspectacular players but for some reason I had a special rooting interest for them.

Woodall was a 2x probowler...not sure I'd put him in the "weren't very good" category.
  • thl408
Originally posted by jcs:
Originally posted by thl408:
Cool thread.

Woodall was a 2x probowler...not sure I'd put him in the "weren't very good" category.

Didn't know that. I want to replace Woodall with Kap then.
Terry Kirby
Derek Deese
Originally posted by lamontb:
Terry Kirby
Derek Deese

Deese was...fine? I think? It has been a while...
I will echo the Marquez Pope comments. Always loved the Ahmed Plummer/Jason Webster duo too...

Also, Ced Wilson was Marquise Goodwin before Marquise Goodwin was Marquise Goodwin.
[ Edited by kelson49er on Oct 26, 2018 at 10:16 AM ]
Eric Johnson, RW McQuarters, Elvis Gerbac, Kendall Hunter, from the current squad, Adrian Colbert seems like a good dude, but maybe not as good as we all had hoped.

• jcs
  • Veteran
Originally posted by kelson49er:
Originally posted by lamontb:
Terry Kirby
Derek Deese

Deese was...fine? I think? It has been a while...

I think Deese was good. He wasn't dominate but he was the last of the McKittrick Olinemen that could move and was an enforcer on the line.
Oh, also William Floyd, especially after his play in the drive against GB that resulted in The Catch II
Originally posted by IGSXIII:
Oh, also William Floyd, especially after his play in the drive against GB that resulted in The Catch II

Aren't you thinking of Marc Edwards? Floyd was gone after '94, right?
nate clements ... although we paid too much for him... I really wanted him to work out
Arnez Battle. Is the 83 in my tag.
Share 49ersWebzone