LISTEN: Reacting to the 49ers Drafting Ricky Pearsall →

There are 276 users in the forums

Is it time for a defensive rebuild?

Shop Find 49ers gear online

Is it time for a defensive rebuild?

Naw they just got to focus on edge rusher next year. Either Bosa or Fowler and a pick.

Solomon moves inside, either we cut AS or just use him in rotation.
I'm voting no. We need a more seasoned DC. We also need:

1. DEs (need a real leo who can get to the QB first, then get a BE who can get pressure in this order)
2. Safeties (both, need a top end FS first, then a decent SS in that order)
3. 1 CB, 2 if uncle sherm leaves.

My priority is

LEO
FS
SS
BE
CB - other side of sherm and slot

Warner, Foster, Smith, sherm, Buck, Day, Jones are all keepers. That's a solid base. I think we really whiffed by not getting a pass rusher to help buck out.
[ Edited by PacTiger on Oct 2, 2018 at 10:33 AM ]
Originally posted by BigBug415:
Originally posted by NCommand:
Originally posted by evil:
Originally posted by BigBug415:
How about start stock pilling talented players?
2017- Jamal Adams
2018- Derwin James

Could have been two huge pieces to the defense, instead of Solly and McGlinch. 💯

McGlinchey is a huge piece of the offense.

Agreed...no issues with MM at all. If fans haven't noticed, the OL and pass protection is kind of a big deal.

I wasn't aware MM was the next Anthony Munoz. 🙄
Ridiculous post. So the expectation for a tackle taken st 9th overall is that he has to immediately be Anthony Munoz to validate it?

Facts is: Tackle > SS. He's been very good for a rookie so far this year especially when you take into consideration he's played Justin Houston, and Danielle hunter. I didn't like the pick either, but he's proving me wrong. Get rid of the bias, it's blinding you from the fact he's doing well. He's had some bad moments but that's to be expected from a tackle(remember how Staley got manhandled a couple times his rookie year).
Originally posted by Bluesbro:
Isn't a rebuild what is happening?

lol yep, impatient fans forget once they spill their load to Jimmy G
[ Edited by TheXFactor on Oct 2, 2018 at 2:42 PM ]
  • okdkid
  • Veteran
Rebuild what? You have mostly solid, not spectacular, players on the DL. You have two LBs you love. And you have two young Safeties you like.

This defense needs a pass rusher. A 12+ sacks a year talent. Once it has that everything will look much better. Chill out.
Earl Thomas, anyone? I think think him and Sherm getting to go against their old team would be awesome
Watching this team I will focus on one aspect, screen coverage. At times the team has no clue on third and long that a screen is coming. The players are not in position and this falls on the coaching. This is basic, on third and long communicate and put players in the right places. Saleh is over his head. Fangio is a great defensive coach if he is given the players they are always in position to make plays. During his time with the 49ers there were very few YAC. Did he sign a long term deal with the Bears?
Originally posted by TheXFactor:
Originally posted by Bluesbro:
Isn't a rebuild what is happening?

lol yep, impatient fans forget once they spill their load to Jimmy H

Right, so after the second year of a complete rebuild the op wants to blow it up?
Of course not. This squad is too young for a total rebuild. What it needs is better talent at all three levels.

D Line - Earl Mitchell has to go and let DJ Jones, Sheldon Day and S. Thomas handle the inside rotation. Armstead needs to be sent packing as well. Need to add a great 4-3 DE to primarily rush the passer

LB's - Brock Coyle and Malcolm Smith can be jettisoned and they need to add another ILB plus a rush OLB like Josh Allen from Kentucky.

Secondary - Add insurance at CB for Sherman, plus a combo safety to backup Tartt who is injury prone.
Originally posted by m_brockalexander:
Of course not. This squad is too young for a total rebuild. What it needs is better talent at all three levels.

D Line - Earl Mitchell has to go and let DJ Jones, Sheldon Day and S. Thomas handle the inside rotation. Armstead needs to be sent packing as well. Need to add a great 4-3 DE to primarily rush the passer

LB's - Brock Coyle and Malcolm Smith can be jettisoned and they need to add another ILB plus a rush OLB like Josh Allen from Kentucky.

Secondary - Add insurance at CB for Sherman, plus a combo safety to backup Tartt who is injury prone.

I actually thought Malcolm hasn't looked too bad so far.

Rebuild? When did we build a defense in the post Harbs/Fangio era?
We get baby Bosa this next draft and a lot of our problems will be solved.

Salah is dead in the water so I'm not concerned about the play calling and scheme moving forward.
  • Furlow
  • Veteran
Rebuild of the coaching staff, yes.
Originally posted by SunDevilNiner79:
Rebuild? When did we build a defense in the post Harbs/Fangio era?

Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Talk about being overly dramatic. Who thought that this team had the foundation for a dominant defense in 2010? Anyone? Bueller?

What really tied that defense together was acquiring a dominant edge rusher and adding better defensive playcalling. They didn't need to start from scratch, just add at the right positions.

I think with Buckner, Foster, Warner, Day, Thomas, Colbert, Tartt...etc, there is a nice collection of young talent but you need the outside pass rush element if you want to run what is largely a vanilla defensive scheme and have people be successful. More depth at CB and S overall would be welcome.

No offense Ph and we usually see pretty eye to eye, but back then the defense tackled well and had been stout against the run for a few years. I agree when we added the missing PR that the D really took off and made a name, but the situations are not really that comparable. This team is AWFUL at tackling. This team has players regressing, players that by all accounts really put in a LOT of work in the off to get better, yet are not. I think Saleh is the problem. I don't like the arm style tackling he teaches, and I don't like that he teaches DBs to not look back for the ball, but rather to play the defenders hands. I tried giving him a chance, but think Saleh was a 4th or 5th choice for a reason.
[ Edited by WINiner on Oct 2, 2018 at 4:23 PM ]
Share 49ersWebzone