Is it time for a defensive rebuild?

Shop Find 49ers gear online ⇨

Is it time for a defensive rebuild?

No way. Not with
Buckner
Foster
Warner
Sherman

And that's not even counting our other solid players. Good defenders at every level. What we need is a pass rusher and another good cb. I wish we could've gotten a guy like Melvin I think from Indianapolis that corner that was really good that the Raiders have now. They got him for pretty cheap as well considering
Originally posted by elguapo:
No way. Not with
Buckner
Foster
Warner
Sherman

And that's not even counting our other solid players. Good defenders at every level. What we need is a pass rusher and another good cb. I wish we could've gotten a guy like Melvin I think from Indianapolis that corner that was really good that the Raiders have now. They got him for pretty cheap as well considering

A Pass rush cures a lot of ills on defense. Our DB's aren't bad, they just can't cover that long. Mack would have been a difference maker. If we don't go all out for several pass rushers in the next draft Ill be shocked....and a little pissed.
Originally posted by NCommand:
Originally posted by evil:
Originally posted by BigBug415:
How about start stock pilling talented players?
2017- Jamal Adams
2018- Derwin James

Could have been two huge pieces to the defense, instead of Solly and McGlinch. 💯

McGlinchey is a huge piece of the offense.

Agreed...no issues with MM at all. If fans haven't noticed, the OL and pass protection is kind of a big deal.

Yeah, MM, was a solid pick up, the offensive line is the most important unit on that side of the ball.As un sexy as it is the trenches are still the most important part of the game. Saleh isn't bad at X's and O's, but doesn't seem to be the fiery leader we need. If Solomon had panned out, and could pressure the QB, we may not be having this conversation. misses are costly.
No way. Not with
Buckner
Foster
Warner
Sherman

We have some good young players as you listed. Also some solid contributors who are not quite as good but help. We need a pass rusher as you say. If we had a pass rusher added with those this is a pretty good defense IMO. Defense is the least of the worries on this team. It just needs a pass rusher. You can always use more good CB's. But mostly we need a dynamic pass rusher.
The horse is out of the barn now, so this is just an observation. When we passed on Khalil, and they had good reasons, both $$ and player capital (aka draft picks), one thing they must not have factored in was just how much a Khalil Mack can elevate the play of the players around him. We sure have seen that in the CHI defense now. Had we taken him, my guess is the tackling would be better overall, the coverage the same, and the entire D would have been elevated by that one outstanding ER.

I hope if we ever get another opportunity, JL and kyle keep that in mind. One guy on the D who is a machine like Khalil at ER, is all it took for CHI to look all world on D. I sure hope that message is considered next time we get put in a position like that.

Besides, the next two #1s we get in draft cannot come close to competing head to head with Khalil. And add in 2 #2s and it STILL was a terrific deal for us....or CHI in this case.
[ Edited by pasodoc9er on Oct 3, 2018 at 12:42 PM ]
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Talk about being overly dramatic. Who thought that this team had the foundation for a dominant defense in 2010? Anyone? Bueller?

What really tied that defense together was acquiring a dominant edge rusher and adding better defensive playcalling. They didn't need to start from scratch, just add at the right positions.

I think with Buckner, Foster, Warner, Day, Thomas, Colbert, Tartt...etc, there is a nice collection of young talent but you need the outside pass rush element if you want to run what is largely a vanilla defensive scheme and have people be successful. More depth at CB and S overall would be welcome.

Excellent post!
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
We're just in year two of the rebuild - have some patience, man.
[ Edited by mayo49 on Oct 4, 2018 at 9:24 AM ]
Originally posted by pasodoc9er:
The horse is out of the barn now, so this is just an observation. When we passed on Khalil, and they had good reasons, both $$ and player capital (aka draft picks), one thing they must not have factored in was just how much a Khalil Mack can elevate the play of the players around him. We sure have seen that in the CHI defense now. Had we taken him, my guess is the tackling would be better overall, the coverage the same, and the entire D would have been elevated by that one outstanding ER.

I hope if we ever get another opportunity, JL and kyle keep that in mind. One guy on the D who is a machine like Khalil at ER, is all it took for CHI to look all world on D. I sure hope that message is considered next time we get put in a position like that.

Besides, the next two #1s we get in draft cannot come close to competing head to head with Khalil. And add in 2 #2s and it STILL was a terrific deal for us....or CHI in this case.

demarcus lawrence might be available in FA next year. They should start opening the checkbooks and get aggressive.

At least if they steal him away from Dallas, it might be payback for the Haley thing.
We've been rebuilding our defense since the 2015 offseason...
Originally posted by Ensatsu:
blow it up. Start over.

we basically have Buckner, Foster, and Warner. The entire secondary needs a rehaul. Sherman is on his last legs.
Maybe if they are smart, they get an edge rusher. But you never know with this regime.

The good thing is that if we start the rebuild now, it will go along nice with a new defensive coordinator running a different philosophy.

I am 99.99999% sure we get an edge rusher this offseason. There is just no way we don't. If we don't some people will be fired.

Originally posted by ChazBoner:
Aren't we like in year 6 of a rebuild?

We played in a Super Bowl less than six years ago rofl
We just need a non idiot Aldon Smith next offseason and things will fall into place.
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
Originally posted by genus49:
We just need a non idiot Aldon Smith next offseason and things will fall into place.

That's right - get one in FA or the draft, I don't care.
Originally posted by mayo49:
Originally posted by genus49:

That's right - get one in FA or the draft, I don't care.

We need more than one. we need a veteran and two draft picks. And we should have a guy being developed at all times. Yea it was bad we didn't go get a ER in FA but they didn't even take a flyer on a guy in the draft.
No way. Not with
Buckner
Foster
Warner
Sherman

Not sure we can 100 count on Sherm. I think he'll miss games every year. You take him out 5/6 games and we have nothing at CB. We definitely need another solid CB. Yes an ER will help but they don't get sacks and pressures every play. You need good CB's that can hold up at times. Just ask the Chiefs. They have two good pass rushers but there cb's still get torched b/c they simply aren't good.
Share 49erswebzone