There are 268 users in the forums

Week 1 2018 - Thoughts after rewatching the game...

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by PopeyeJonesing:
Originally posted by Marvin49:
The TV broadcast said INT #2 was on him and he does have some culpability on the pass, but I saw something odd on that play and saw it again re-watching it. It almost looks like Pettis takes an extra false step outside before cutting inside. This MAY have thrown off the timing of the play and explain why Garoppolo threw the ball too far inside and out of Pettis' reach. Can't absolve him of that INT entirely, but something didn't look right on the route. On the third INT, I have no clue what he was looking at. WR wasn't anywhere near open.

Glad you mentioned this. We heard glowing reports all pre-season from our wideouts and DBs about how Pettis has some weird wiggle and doesn't run routes like anyone else, and despite all the praise, I kept on thinking, "ummm, yeah, that might not be a good thing, dude."

I'm not at all trying to absolve Garoppolo of blame, but at the same time: An atypically unorthodox route running rookie in the first game of the season who is probably only in because the guy ahead of him got injured? Well, yeah, I think we'd predict the timing and ball placement between him and his QB to maybe be a little off on some throws, and that very well could have been what we saw there.

That's exactly what I'm sayin'.

The INT is still on Jimmy as it shouldn't have been that high either, but something was off on that route. You can especially see it on the replay from behind Minnesota's endzone. Look at his final attempt to shake the defender. Its like one extra move he didn't need and slowed him out of his break to the ball.
Originally posted by NYniner85:
Anyone got a link to game? Love to rewatch it

Sorry, can't help ya. I have it as a 17GB *.M2TS file on my Hard Drive.
Originally posted by NYniner85:
Anyone got a link to game? Love to rewatch it

https://nflreplays.net/2018/09/09/san-francisco-49ers-vs-minnesota-vikings/
Originally posted by riverrunzthruit:
I agree with a lot of the points made, my summary:

1) A 9er team not yet ready for prime time, but on the way toward it

2) D took a big step up from last year, played well enough for us to win

3) A lot of unforced errors by the O, yet we were still in it to the last posession

4) Jimmy G has to be good with not being able to walk on water and quit forcing the ball to make things happen, just chill Jimmy and let the game come to you

5) Gold star for #47 Elijah Lee who stepped in at the end up the game and nutted up to answer the call

6) Pass pro flat out sucked at times, seemed like Jimmy G was holding on to the ball just a few clicks to long waiting for something to happen

7) Gold Star for #48 Freddie, looked at ease wearing the green dot, made a lot of tackles and played well

8) Kittle is not our long term answer at TE, just not a good enough athlete in the receiving game IMO

that is wrong on so many levels that I can't even think of anything to say. Kittle will probably end up being one of the top receivers on the team this year
If Kittle catches the deep ball down the sideline there wouldn't have been the pick 6. That's a 14 point swing on just that one mistake. Amazing.
Originally posted by 951NINER:
If Kittle catches the deep ball down the sideline there wouldn't have been the pick 6. That's a 14 point swing on just that one mistake. Amazing.

I would love to see this play again. Does anyone have the gif?
Originally posted by Marvin49:
Its Monday morning and overreactions abound as always. That second viewing though always helps for clarity...

1) Garoppolo: His worst start as a 49er. No doubt. No sugar coating it. However, it surely wasn't all on him. Interception #1 as has been widely reported was the WR running the wrong route. Specifically, I think the WR didn't see the blitz and switch to hot route, but not sure. Clearly though, Garoppolo expecting him to cut in and Bourne admitted such after the game. The TV broadcast said INT #2 was on him and he does have some culpability on the pass, but I saw something odd on that play and saw it again re-watching it. It almost looks like Pettis takes an extra false step outside before cutting inside. This MAY have thrown off the timing of the play and explain why Garoppolo threw the ball too far inside and out of Pettis' reach. Can't absolve him of that INT entirely, but something didn't look right on the route. On the third INT, I have no clue what he was looking at. WR wasn't anywhere near open.

The drops were maddening. Pettis can't was SOOO close and you can credit defender, but he still should have had it. Garcon drop would have been a nice play but if you get both hands on the ball you should catch it. The Kittle drop....I dunno. Its like he slowed down when he was looking over his shoulder. Again, would have been a nice catch, but the ball was there.

To be honest, IMO the two worst throws in the game were the third INT and the miss to Kittle in the endzone. Gotta get those.

The TD pass to Pettis though was a thing of beauty. Even the best QBs have bad days. It was going to happen eventually. Top rated D, in their house, one of the loudest stadiums in NFL, with injuries on the line and to Goodwin early....this wasn't unexpected. He still made so really nice plays. The fact that he threw 3 INTs and they fimbled on the one and STILL were 8 points down to a 13-3 team last year who improved at QB says something. I'm not concerned at all about Jimmy.

2) DeForest Buckner: Vikings have questionable line, but MAN. DeFo is a monster. This is his year.

3) Brock Coyle: I hate to speak ill of the injured, but MAN...that dude sucks. LOL. I usually don't say stuff like that, but he was missing tackles all over, was slow getting to the spot and slow to react. I'd much rather have Elijah Lee out there than Coyle. Need both Reuben and Malcolm Smith back bad.

4) Fred Warner: Dude had himself a day. All over the field. Played well in run and pass coverage....but I do still worry that he too often arm tackles and may lead later to missed tackles. Not critical of him yesterday and that was a pretty damn good debut, but I think he needs to lay down that should more than he does now.

5) Pettis: Had some moments but also had some rookie moments. Dropped punt, dropped deep pass, extra step on that slant...room for improvement. That TD catch though was fantastic and indicative of what he can be. He just has some work to do.

6) Sherman: Alot of online peeps making comments about the play on which he was beat by Diggs, but should be noted that was the ONLY reception he allowed and generally looked like Richard Sherman. Not bad for his first game back. Also put his head in there and recovered the fumble caused by Warner.

7) Missed Tackles: There were alot of missed tackles yesterday. The ones that concerned me most were by Adrian Colbert. Its early and perhaps they'll clean that up, but he's got to wrap up.

8) Solomon Thomas: Continues to be maddening. He flashes big particularly in run D but then he'll make a boneheaded play at the end of the game. Dude is bright as hell so no idea what he was thinking. Should also be noted though that he wasn't the only guy who jumped a bit and I'm not convinced he actually moved into neatral zone, but that's no excuse. He should have even twitched at all in that circumstance. He knows it though. I can't imagine him making that mistake ever again.

9) Guard: Ouch. My guess is they resign Jonathan Cooper, but they have gone from two guys with question marks to NOBODY there. They have to fix that.

10) Bottom Line: Bottom line here is that we all need to put this loss into context. The Vikings might be in the SB this year. The Niners made several unforced errors and shot themselves in the foot and STILL had a chance at the end. The Vikings game IN Minn might have been the toughest game on the entire schedule and they didn't get embarrassed.

I for one am not too upset with this one as there were positives if you realize that all the hype in the off-season was a bit premature. The team we saw yesterday likely won't be the same team we see in several weeks here. Should be fun to watch. :D

Nice post.

Yes Jimmy struggled but let's not underestimate that Vikings D. They are hands down the most dominant group in he league and we still moved the ball on them. Jimmy was pressured on probably half his drop backs.

We lost our starting guard. Our backup guard and our rookie RT was forced to play a position he had never played.

We lost our #1 receiver.

Our running game is in trouble. I have no faith in Breida or Morris. I think we need to get on the phone and give Pittsburg a call.

Warner and Foster is going to be the best LB duo in the league. Book it.

Love Sherman's leadership.

Slam Solomon all you want but we have a top 10 run D and he is a big part of it.

We desperately need an edge rusher. An elite edge rusher will take this D to the next level.
Originally posted by 951NINER:

That's were the game swung for me. At that point the Viking defense gets to play even more aggressive with a two score lead.
Did Ward even play?

I don't remember his name being mentioned even once...

I guess that's a good thing.

It looks like Coyle is the latest whipping boy around here.
Originally posted by English:
Originally posted by susweel:
You left out the part where Jimmy G single handedly cost us the game by throwing perfect passes to the other team.

Total BS and sheer trolling for effect.

Not even uniquely contrived trolling, just the same old slow clunky trolling. You are the Jim Raye of trolls, Sus; you should feel bad.

Originally posted by OldMort49:
Did Ward even play?

I don't remember his name being mentioned even once...

I guess that's a good thing.

It looks like Coyle is the latest whipping boy around here.

He did and gave up a first down to Thiellen on a slant route. But then again Thielen was balling.
Originally posted by riverrunzthruit:
8) Kittle is not our long term answer at TE, just not a good enough athlete in the receiving game IMO

George Kittle arguably had better measurables than O.J. Howard, who was a mid first round pick from the same draft. Kittle can be described as an athletic TE. So I completely disagree with you.
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
Originally posted by RabidNiner:
You left out the part where Jimmy G single handedly cost us the game by throwing perfect passes to the other team.

Not even uniquely contrived trolling, just the same old slow clunky trolling. You are the Jim Raye of trolls, Sus; you should feel bad.

I feel bad cuz jimmy threw the game away and wasted a good effort by the defense. That's why i feel bad. But hopefully he'll learn from his mistakes and take care of the ball better.
Originally posted by RabidNiner:

I feel bad cuz jimmy threw the game away and wasted a good effort by the defense. That's why i feel bad. But hopefully he'll learn from his mistakes and take care of the ball better.

Inshallah
what does it say about us working out 2 LB's? just depth because of injuries? or because we couldnt f**king tackle yesterday?
Share 49ersWebzone