There are 233 users in the forums

Week 1 2018 - Thoughts after rewatching the game...

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by evil:
Originally posted by Niners816:
Originally posted by susweel:
Originally posted by English:
You left out the part where Jimmy G single handedly cost us the game by throwing perfect passes to the other team.

Total BS and sheer trolling for effect.

Look at his stat 45 qb rating, 3 picks, less than 50 % completion rate. The defense played well enough to win. Our $137 million cost us the game.

I know....it's was terrible of him making Kittles Drop that explosive and making Bourne run the wrong route. You think he did this on purpose? I hope Grant Cohn gets to the bottom of this.

Also Jimmy's fault that Garcon let the ball bounce off his hands and Jimmy made Morris fumble on the goal line.

Yep it's all right there on film....that son of a b***h rips it right out of Alfred's hand.....

Also, love now that he's had a bad game that stat lines count.....they didn't seem to matter when he was playing well.
[ Edited by Niners816 on Sep 10, 2018 at 11:09 AM ]
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
Originally posted by cciowa:
Originally posted by evil:
Also Jimmy's fault that Garcon let the ball bounce off his hands and Jimmy made Morris fumble on the goal line.

is it trolling to say i think kyle caused the fumble with play calling.. shirley when the first run did not work. kyle could have come up with SOMETHING

Yeah the rz play calling was terrible trying to run #46 over and over even tho he fumbled the previous play. I thought kyle was better than that.
Originally posted by cortana49:
Nice post. You're point #10 (bottom line) is what has my chin up today. They stuck around way too long with multiple mistakes against a Super bowl contender. We've got a good team in the making.

Good post!
Originally posted by Rubberneck36:
Don't forget the run game sucks. If teams dont respect the run, they will put pressure on Jimmy all year.

IMO, That's on the OLine.
Originally posted by Niners816:
I know....it's was terrible of him making Kittles Drop that explosive and making Bourne run the wrong route. You think he did this on purpose? I hope Grant Cohn gets to the bottom of this.

Come to think of it....if you watch the film real close it was Jimmy that stripped the ball from Alfred. That son of a b***h.....

Seriously. I would even say the second int was mainly on jimmy but the pass was only a little behind Pettis and the Vikings had a bit of luck. Notice the ball hit Rhodes arm and was looking like it was going to hit the ground but luckily it hit Rhodes face mask and deflected right back into his hands.

I have to say if the pass was more in front of Pettis he catches that slant. He did beat Rhodes imo.
Little whipped Harrison all day. Yup. All pro #1 safety in the league. Maybe better than earl Thomas.

So I think
Pettis will be borderline pro bowl
Kittle will be borderline pro bowl
Warner will be a probowler. He reminds me of Luke K on Carolina. We will have the best lb core soon enough.
Originally posted by Rocket4989:
Let's not forget Vikings were 7-1 at home

AND they are one of the top 4 teams in thhe NFL.

Not in any order] Saints, Vikings, Pats, Eagles are at, IMO, the top of the heap.

Greta learning lesson in so many areas.

This will make us a better team.

Based on how we played - we can definitely beat Lions.
Originally posted by Bluesbro:
I agree with everything you said except the Pettis drop in the end zone. The ball hit the defenders arm first and the defender had his arm lodged in between Pettis' arms. Could he have caught it? Sure, he almost did. But that play was more about the great coverage than Pettis pulling a Vance McD. If he had caught that ball it would have been more impressive than the TD he did catch.

I agree with you. My point was more that the ball was well placed and it was not on Garoppolo. It was actually a damn fine throw, a great play by defender, and a ball that COULD have been caught, but would have been a great catch.
Originally posted by riverrunzthruit:
I agree with a lot of the points made, my summary:

1) A 9er team not yet ready for prime time, but on the way toward it

2) D took a big step up from last year, played well enough for us to win

3) A lot of unforced errors by the O, yet we were still in it to the last posession

4) Jimmy G has to be good with not being able to walk on water and quit forcing the ball to make things happen, just chill Jimmy and let the game come to you

5) Gold star for #47 Elijah Lee who stepped in at the end up the game and nutted up to answer the call

6) Pass pro flat out sucked at times, seemed like Jimmy G was holding on to the ball just a few clicks to long waiting for something to happen

7) Gold Star for #48 Freddie, looked at ease wearing the green dot, made a lot of tackles and played well

8) Kittle is not our long term answer at TE, just not a good enough athlete in the receiving game IMO

Disagree on that last one.

I think we are spoiled by Vernon Davis and Delanie Walker. I think Kittle is fine but we could use another TE.
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Ensatsu:
he cannot come up with anything since our receivers are too small and can't box out defenders in tight spaces.

how about a fake dive up the middle and oops there is juice or kittle open.. or shees fake dive. jimmy does a little boot leg,,. i am no coach and yes its second guessing. i just could not believe. after the first run which failed and we are not a power run team. that kyle went right back to it when everyone knew it was coming
You left out the part where Jimmy G single handedly cost us the game by throwing perfect passes to the other team.

Sus, don't ever change.

• cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Marvin49:
Disagree on that last one.

I think we are spoiled by Vernon Davis and Delanie Walker. I think Kittle is fine but we could use another TE.

of course this is the truth
Anyone got a link to game? Love to rewatch it
Even if we stay this injured, this bad at missed tackles, miscues and drops we seem imo to still be a top team in the nfc. The Vikings played a pretty clean game without a huge amount of miscues and injuries unlike the Niners and capitalized and the Niners were so close playing a top 3 team away....we are still a playoff team.

Oh but we get foster and Goodwin back and probably our guards....I'm very optimistic. Even Vikings fans were saying to me they were happy they didn't have to face Foster and they loved Coyle and Nzeocha playing. After the Kittle drop (75-80 yard td probably) and the Solomon Thomas offsides they said we will see you in the playoffs and hope it's at minn not sf. I agree if Thomas doesn't do that s**t jimmy has more than a minute and a half to make a comeback and I believe he doesn't force that int.

The Vikings are more talented than the Niners however I could see us easily beating them by more than a td if we play them with just foster back
Originally posted by Marvin49:
The TV broadcast said INT #2 was on him and he does have some culpability on the pass, but I saw something odd on that play and saw it again re-watching it. It almost looks like Pettis takes an extra false step outside before cutting inside. This MAY have thrown off the timing of the play and explain why Garoppolo threw the ball too far inside and out of Pettis' reach. Can't absolve him of that INT entirely, but something didn't look right on the route. On the third INT, I have no clue what he was looking at. WR wasn't anywhere near open.

Glad you mentioned this. We heard glowing reports all pre-season from our wideouts and DBs about how Pettis has some weird wiggle and doesn't run routes like anyone else, and despite all the praise, I kept on thinking, "ummm, yeah, that might not be a good thing, dude."

I'm not at all trying to absolve Garoppolo of blame, but at the same time: An atypically unorthodox route running rookie in the first game of the season who is probably only in because the guy ahead of him got injured? Well, yeah, I think we'd predict the timing and ball placement between him and his QB to maybe be a little off on some throws, and that very well could have been what we saw there.
Oh guys by the way Seattle sucks!!!! JT.....Wilson held the ball too long and their defense is so much worse. Love it!!!
Share 49ersWebzone