There are 274 users in the forums

Tyvis Powell

Shop Find 49ers gear online
A little surprised this guy does not have a thread. He had a real solid camp and pre season and I think he almost certainly makes the team as our too backup safety. Talented 6'3 212pd safety who started on Ohio State's national championship team and came out early as a Junior but went undrafted even though he was a 2yr starter at Ohio St and ran a 4.49 at 6'3" 212pds 🤷🏻‍♂️
Powell, Mabin, McFadden, DJ Reed, T Moore some good young DB'S developing. I really like DJ Reed in particular. I think all those guys make the team
I remember when he declared for the draft, I was so surprised he went undrafted, had him as a day 2 to early day 3 pick back then. Really like our DBs, Reed was one of my favorite picks this draft. McFadden is 1st rd talent, and the stupid 40 time, which is dumb IMO, and the fact he had zero INTs made him fall, but didn't think our of the draft.

Anyway, I have Powell making it, and McFadden will IMO, I think he gets claimed off waivers.
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by AB81Rules:
I remember when he declared for the draft, I was so surprised he went undrafted, had him as a day 2 to early day 3 pick back then. Really like our DBs, Reed was one of my favorite picks this draft. McFadden is 1st rd talent, and the stupid 40 time, which is dumb IMO, and the fact he had zero INTs made him fall, but didn't think our of the draft.

Anyway, I have Powell making it, and McFadden will IMO, I think he gets claimed off waivers.

McFadden will not last long on the waiver wire I guarantee that. Once known as 1st round talent is the main reason he SHOULD be kept around to develop and what better place than learning from Sherman. Powell I'd like to see moved to SS to back up Tartt full time.

Sherman
Witherspoon
Williams
Reed
Moore
McFadden

That would be my choices. And dammit they gotta just cut their losses with Ward already, his spot is being wasted.

Colbert
Tartt
Powell
Harris

Not sure about Harris, but I'm guessing the 6th rounder makes the team. Having DJ Reed ahead of him on the depth chart though might make him expendable.
Originally posted by Kolohe:

McFadden will not last long on the waiver wire I guarantee that. Once known as 1st round talent is the main reason he SHOULD be kept around to develop and what better place than learning from Sherman. Powell I'd like to see moved to SS to back up Tartt full time.

Sherman
Witherspoon
Williams
Reed
Moore
McFadden

That would be my choices. And dammit they gotta just cut their losses with Ward already, his spot is being wasted.

Colbert
Tartt
Powell
Harris

Not sure about Harris, but I'm guessing the 6th rounder makes the team. Having DJ Reed ahead of him on the depth chart though might make him expendable.

Yeah, I'm not excited about a skinny 6'3" cover 3 outside CB being the backup SS to Tartt but it does add to his resume and versatility and another way Saleh can justify keeping his guy.

Good post
Originally posted by NCommand:
Yeah, I'm not excited about a skinny 6'3" cover 3 outside CB being the backup SS to Tartt but it does add to his resume and versatility and another way Saleh can justify keeping his guy.

I don't think he actually is the backup safety to Tartt.

If Tartt goes down my guess is that that Colbert moves to SS, and Ward (in an imaginary world in which he's healthy) moves to FS followed by Reed.

From the way KS talked about Marcell Harris, it sounds like he was doing a lot of stuff in practice that we weren't able to see. I think it's entirely possible he either starts on temp IR and then Powell gets cut when he comes back, or he's ready and Powell isn't getting the roster spot we think he is.
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame

Sherman
Witherspoon
Williams
Reed
Moore
McFadden

Colbert
Tartt
Powell
Harris

6'2" 211 pounds is skinny? Dude got some range and is a pretty sure tackler. I must've read it wrong but I thought he was the third string back up to Tartt it was actually Exum. I still think he could play Safety though.
  • 9moon
  • Veteran

Sherman
Witherspoon
Williams
Reed
Moore
McFadden

Colbert
Tartt
Powell
Harris

6'2" 211 pounds is skinny? Dude got some range and is a pretty sure tackler. I must've read it wrong but I thought he was the third string back up to Tartt it was actually Exum. I still think he could play Safety though.

I was surprise as well that this kid did not get any kinda news leaving OSU, but I hope he makes it at least as a Special Team player... maybe, just maybe, he isn't ready to play the FS position even w/all the numbers around him..

Sherman
Witherspoon
Williams
Reed
Moore
McFadden

Colbert
Tartt
Powell
Harris

I would not be surprised if they were to bring back Terrell Williams sometime later in the season.

Originally posted by PopeyeJonesing:

I don't think he actually is the backup safety to Tartt.

If Tartt goes down my guess is that that Colbert moves to SS, and Ward (in an imaginary world in which he's healthy) moves to FS followed by Reed.

From the way KS talked about Marcell Harris, it sounds like he was doing a lot of stuff in practice that we weren't able to see. I think it's entirely possible he either starts on temp IR and then Powell gets cut when he comes back, or he's ready and Powell isn't getting the roster spot we think he is.

I'm glad you brought up Harris. Kyle admitted they did like what limited amount they saw of him but just don't have enough yet to make a concrete decision. Maybe Exum has a chance too. Maybe they have their eye on someone expected to get cut.

You bring up a good point about Tartt and Colbert being somewhat interchangeable, albeit their specific skill sets for their respective positions, fit perfectly.

Since Tarrt plays so much in the box, I wonder if we'd use a LB instead?
[ Edited by NCommand on Aug 29, 2018 at 11:20 AM ]
Tyvis Powell is hardly a skinny CB lol. 6'3" 211 is giant for a corner. Not many corners go over 210 pounds.

Dexter McCoil is another big fooker on this team. He's almost as big as Brandon Browner, arguably the biggest CB in the history of the NFL.
[ Edited by Heroism on Aug 29, 2018 at 11:26 AM ]
Originally posted by Heroism:
Tyvis Powell is hardly a skinny CB lol. 6'3" 211 is giant for a corner. Not many corners go over 200 pounds.

He's pretty linear. Tartt is probably 220-230 and a thick build, perfect for a box SS. He's certainly not small esp. for a CB but if they wanted him to be a SS, he'd be training differently this whole time. You certainly wouldn't want Tartt playing outside CB.
Originally posted by Heroism:
Tyvis Powell is hardly a skinny CB lol. 6'3" 211 is giant for a corner. Not many corners go over 210 pounds.

Dexter McCoil is another big fooker on this team. He's almost as big as Brandon Browner, arguably the biggest CB in the history of the NFL.

Yeah, no doubt what Saleh prefers in his CB's outside. Cookie-cutter.
Keanu Neal is the Falcons' SS. He's 6-0, 211 lbs.

It's an eight-man box, so SS doesn't really have to be huge. Same reason why the LBs in this scheme don't have to be big.

Needs to be strong, athletic and long to match up with tight ends because that's who the SS is often matched with in coverage.
[ Edited by Heroism on Aug 29, 2018 at 11:35 AM ]
Share 49ersWebzone