LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 252 users in the forums

Tyvis Powell

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by NCommand:
Since Tarrt plays so much in the box, I wonder if we'd use a LB instead?

Really good point.

And now that you mention it, that box safety role is probably more similar to what Fred Warner was doing in college than WLB is.

It's totally conceivable that if Tartt went down they'd go with Foster and Smith at LBs, and Warner as box safety.

I kinda like it.
Originally posted by Heroism:
Keanu Neal is the Falcons' SS. He's 6-0, 211 lbs.

It's an eight-man box, so SS doesn't really have to be huge. Same reason why the LBs in this scheme doesn't have to be big.

Needs to be strong, athletic and long to match up with tight ends because that's who the SS is often matched with in coverage.

I guess I'm just used to Reid and Tartt build for our mold.
Originally posted by Kolohe:
McFadden will not last long on the waiver wire I guarantee that. Once known as 1st round talent is the main reason he SHOULD be kept around to develop and what better place than learning from Sherman. Powell I'd like to see moved to SS to back up Tartt full time.

Sherman
Witherspoon
Williams
Reed
Moore
McFadden

That would be my choices. And dammit they gotta just cut their losses with Ward already, his spot is being wasted.

Colbert
Tartt
Powell
Harris

Not sure about Harris, but I'm guessing the 6th rounder makes the team. Having DJ Reed ahead of him on the depth chart though might make him expendable.

Boy you love you some McFadden huh? I mean he went undrafted for a reason....he's not close to a scheme fit for half of the NFL and lacks the speed you usually want in a outside CB.

IMO he really hasn't shown much this far. Dropped an easy INT on top of it.

That said I hope he does make the team just based on unknown and upside (basically how all fans are lol) I'm not too sure he gets thrown on some teams active roster.
Originally posted by PopeyeJonesing:
Since Tarrt plays so much in the box, I wonder if we'd use a LB instead?

Really good point.

And now that you mention it, that box safety role is probably more similar to what Fred Warner was doing in college than WLB is.

It's totally conceivable that if Tartt went down they'd go with Foster and Smith at LBs, and Warner as box safety.

I kinda like it.

...not sure how realistic but just trying to think outside the "box" here.
Originally posted by NYniner85:
Boy you love you some McFadden huh? I mean he went undrafted for a reason....he's not close to a scheme fit for half of the NFL and lacks the speed you usually want in a outside CB.

That said I hope he does make the team just based on unknown and upside (basically how all fans are lol) I'm not too sure he gets thrown on some teams active roster.

I like him too...for the future. Could the FO feel the same? They certainly did initially. They outbid a lot of teams.

In year 2, as an example, do you go with the older Mitchell or a guy like Ward whom you expect gone after 2018 for their 2018 value or do you think a guy like McFadden can end up giving you more 2019+? There's going to be some tough calls within that balancing act.

The team is expected to sign Florida State cornerback Tarvarus McFadden to a deal that includes $90,000 in guaranteed money. The guarantee includes a $20,000 signing bonus and $70,000 in base salary.

That bonus is among the biggest handed out thus far, according to NFL Network reporter Tom Pelissero. Teams are limited in how much signing bonus money they can hand out to UD, but they can guarantee as much base salary as they want. Usually a big guarantee means a player has a good chance of at least making the practice squad. It's not earth shattering money for cap purposes, but it gives us an idea of priorities.
[ Edited by NCommand on Aug 29, 2018 at 12:53 PM ]
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by NYniner85:

I'm pretty sure he went undrafted due to running a 4.6 and 4.7 40's. Yes he didn't record a single INT in 2017 but I read somewhere he allowed the lowest completion percentage in the ACC.

I just think he would be a good project for Saleh to develop. Much rather keep him than Mabin or Ward.

It's an eight-man box, so SS doesn't really have to be huge. Same reason why the LBs in this scheme doesn't have to be big.

Needs to be strong, athletic and long to match up with tight ends because that's who the SS is often matched with in coverage.

It kinda smells to me that Ward is now the backup SS as well? He plays good close to the line of scrimmage and is an aggresive and legit hard tackler IMO. Only thing I'd be worried about is health but as a backup eff it let him go all out and if he goes down again so be it. Book could be sealed.

Powell then becomes the #3 SS & #5 outside CB behind Ward and Moore.

Jimmie Ward just earns more of his check. I'm good with that. It's looking pretty sweet in my mind having him. Dude is a backup at effing 4 different DB spots.
[ Edited by SmokeCrabtrees on Aug 30, 2018 at 12:28 AM ]
And he is promoted to the active roster tomorrow... Wonder if we see him?
who is this roody poo?
  • Cjez
  • Hall of Fame
Final score prediction update:

547 - 10, Chiefs

Originally posted by SmokeCrabtrees:

It kinda smells to me that Ward is now the backup SS as well? He plays good close to the line of scrimmage and is an aggresive and legit hard tackler IMO. Only thing I'd be worried about is health but as a backup eff it let him go all out and if he goes down again so be it. Book could be sealed.

Powell then becomes the #3 SS & #5 outside CB behind Ward and Moore.

Jimmie Ward just earns more of his check. I'm good with that. It's looking pretty sweet in my mind having him. Dude is a backup at effing 4 different DB spots.
What good is it that he can play 4 DB spots when he's terrible at all of them? Moore and McFadden are much better suited to play outside and I'm sure any of our backup SS are better as wel.
Originally posted by ChazBoner:
Final score prediction update:

547 - 10, Chiefs

C'mon. I bet they don't score a point over 540.
Waived
[ Edited by ChaunceyGardner on Oct 6, 2018 at 3:02 PM ]
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
Lock this puppy up.
Originally posted by mayo49:
Lock this puppy up.

See you next week, Tyvis.
Share 49ersWebzone