LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 356 users in the forums

Preseason Week 1 2018 - Thoughts after rewatching the game...

Shop Find 49ers gear online
  • evil
  • Veteran
Originally posted by LasVegasWally:
Originally posted by evil:
Originally posted by Jack49ers84:
Everything I've seen from Landry makes me think he has elite talent. His body control when coming around the edge is unreal. I'd be surprised if he isn't a consistent top 10 edge rusher. As for the injury concerns, I think they're overblown and he seems to be completely healthy now. Foster had/has more injury concerns than Landry and that didn't stop us from drafting him.

We knew going into the draft that we had a big need for an edge rusher and less of a need at WR.

You can say the health concerns were overblown but you are not a doctor nor did you see the medical reports. They were enough to have every team pass at least once, some twice. And healthy now does not mean that his body will hold up.

I hope he does hold up and has a great career. I was a fan of his, but teams have to protect themselves. We took a risk last year, you cannot do that every year at the top of the draft.

We have Pettis, a guy I did not love coming out. But he is on my team and I hope he reaches his full potential. Not going to live on past what if scenarios.

Smart post!

Thank you.
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Paul_Hofer:
Originally posted by LottDMontanaO:
Originally posted by evil:
That edge rusher has yet to prove to be a 10+ sack guy. And Pettis is not taking snaps away, he is competing for a role. Iron sharpens iron and competition tends to bring out the best in everyone.

We did not have a logjam at WR going into the draft either nor could anyone have assured that James would have had the camp he has had to date.

We also cannot ignore the medical concerns with Landry that caused his draft slide. It may never be a problem but every team seemingly passed once and some twice due to that.

This - completely agree.

There's been nothing definite about Landry's supposed health concerns The most damning report was from NFL network that maybe some teams flagged him for health concerns. Titans had no such qualms.

We had at least three proven WRs going into the draft. We had no proven pass rushers. We even let go the team's leading rusher from last year. That suggests the team feels the other "pass rushers" can do the job without any on-the-field proof.

Iron can sharpen iron at pass rusher also.

I think Shanahan's priority is to have backup WRs, because he likes them to be quick, which usually means small, which usually means more injuries, which requires more backups.

Yep, I haven't read any issues about his health in any recent news. Apparently he's doing well in training camp and progressing. So is Pita. As for Marsh and Attaochu I'd love to have had more depth here possibly with a guy like Obo. Oh well. Hope Attaochu can show something in the Texan PS game.

A second-round pick in the NFL Draft, Landry has made solid progress during training camp.
He's also getting a lot of extra work. With veteran outside linebacker Brian Orakpo currently not taking part in practices, Landry has been working with the first team, which means he's seen a lot of Lewan.
https://www.titansonline.com/news/titans-rookie-harold-landry-lt-taylor-lewan-is-giving-me-tips-after-every-rep
I haven't made time to rewatch it yet, but from my recollection the Cowboys run blitzed a lot. The run blitz is a sound defense against outside zone runs.

If any of you have seen or noticed this, what are your thoughts. I know we should be able to exploite a defense that run blitzes often.
Originally posted by GolittaCamper:
I haven't made time to rewatch it yet, but from my recollection the Cowboys run blitzed a lot. The run blitz is a sound defense against outside zone runs.

If any of you have seen or noticed this, what are your thoughts. I know we should be able to exploite a defense that run blitzes often.

It was practice. I doubt Shanahan was cared to exploit what dallas was doing.
Originally posted by Stanley:

So, you saw it too. I'm not worried about in practice, I'm just wondering what countermeasures other Zoners think we see this season

So, you saw it too. I'm not worried about in practice, I'm just wondering what countermeasures other Zoners think we see this season

I only saw one instance where they run blitzed. It was a scrape exchange that they showed late and caused Person to miss his block as his angle on the defender changed last second and he had no help anymore. It was the 2nd play of the offense.

There were other miscues in the run game. The first play it looked like McKinnon had a lane outside and turned it back too soon. It's hard to tell without the endzone angle but it seems as if the TE's had sealed the edge and McKinnon could've taken it outside for a good lane.

There was another play where it looked like Kittle thought it was a zone split and should've been a stretch run. He came back across the formation on a zone split action and Celek turned his guy loose to the outside as he was about to head for the second level when he realized there was no one outside him - after the play he was frantically looking around to see who he wasn't on the same page with. On the broadcast they mentioned Staley but it looked like Kittle.

Those were the only 3 run plays from the starting O.
  • thl408
Originally posted by jonnydel:
I only saw one instance where they run blitzed. It was a scrape exchange that they showed late and caused Person to miss his block as his angle on the defender changed last second and he had no help anymore. It was the 2nd play of the offense.

There were other miscues in the run game. The first play it looked like McKinnon had a lane outside and turned it back too soon. It's hard to tell without the endzone angle but it seems as if the TE's had sealed the edge and McKinnon could've taken it outside for a good lane.

There was another play where it looked like Kittle thought it was a zone split and should've been a stretch run. He came back across the formation on a zone split action and Celek turned his guy loose to the outside as he was about to head for the second level when he realized there was no one outside him - after the play he was frantically looking around to see who he wasn't on the same page with. On the broadcast they mentioned Staley but it looked like Kittle.

Yeah I noticed that scrape too when re-watching the first team offense. It really threw off the right side of the OL. Hard to see things from this view.
Check out the weakside DE and WILL presnap.

Thanks for the "run" down. It seemed like they run blitzed more than that, but I trust your observations. I had the Cowboy broadcast team, it was pretty awful. So, thanks again, it sounds like some miscues by the TE rather than a scheme failure.
Originally posted by thl408:

Yeah I noticed that scrape too when re-watching the first team offense. It really threw off the right side of the OL. Hard to see things from this view.
Check out the weakside DE and WILL presnap.

In this clip, it looks like Staley is tied up, and can't reach the second level, and the TE (Kittle) is late, and ends up chasing. The linebackers all flowed well, with little disturbance. I hate to question the play design, but the fullback sealing the backside, seems like a wasted blocker, if your fast enough to out run back side defenders. I think Jet, with 5 yard head start out runs the DE on the back side. If Juices motion was a fake, it fooled no one. Anyway, next week is almost here, and so is the next game!

Can wait for the regular season, and all the great work by the Zoners in the All 22 thread! Thanks again, for helping this one time pee wee coach, catch on to some next level stuff!
Share 49ersWebzone