There are 289 users in the forums

Who's better CJ or Mullens?

Shop Find 49ers gear online

Who's better CJ or Mullens?

Too small of a sample size but from what I saw last night Mullens may be better in this offense. Faster internal clock, able to look off safeties, ball gets out quick, hitting second and third reads. Granted it was a bad team and all that, but it looks like the better tool set. If I were looking for a backup for Big Ben or Andrew Luck...I would be in the CJ market...but Mullens more accurately emulates our starter and appears to be more ready to execute the offense we run.
Originally posted by Joecool:
Originally posted by brodiebluebanaszak:
no. no one said that, about montana.

Mullens good debut against the biggest dumpster fire in the league.

Playing better teams will provide a better comparison vs cj.

He will throw pics.

There were some risky throws in there with one INT drop. But maybe he will get even better with more starts.

The biggest difference between Mullen's and CJ is that CJ is way to meh. His floor and ceiling are on the same plane level. He is more of an Alex Smith type but worse because he doesn't check down.

I wouldn't even say that. Beathard doesn't move his feet at all. No pocket shuffle, hence all the batted balls too. I don't know that I've seen anyone get hit as much as Beathard does from standing like a statue.
Originally posted by Debryune:
Originally posted by LenCat:
Originally posted by smithgdwg:
If CJ never got hurt, would Kyle of made the switch this year to Mullen?

I think Kyle was planning this for a while and the "injury" just made for a convenient reason. Too bad it didn't happen sooner. We would have beat GB and AZ

The best part is he got to start against the Raiders, then we move up a few levels to the Giants, then a BYE, then the schedule turns murderous. So at least he will have had two games and some practice before things get real.

Great points. Although I don't know if I'd call the giants a "few levels " up. Maybe a 1/2 level.
  • Hopper
  • Veteran
Originally posted by OnTheClock:
Originally posted by Joecool:
Originally posted by brodiebluebanaszak:
no. no one said that, about montana.

Mullens good debut against the biggest dumpster fire in the league.

Playing better teams will provide a better comparison vs cj.

He will throw pics.

There were some risky throws in there with one INT drop. But maybe he will get even better with more starts.

The biggest difference between Mullen's and CJ is that CJ is way to meh. His floor and ceiling are on the same plane level. He is more of an Alex Smith type but worse because he doesn't check down.

I wouldn't even say that. Beathard doesn't move his feet at all. No pocket shuffle, hence all the batted balls too. I don't know that I've seen anyone get hit as much as Beathard does from standing like a statue.
Sometimes he has to throw flat footed just to get the ball out quicker.
[ Edited by Hopper on Nov 2, 2018 at 12:16 PM ]
  • 9moon
  • Veteran
The Mule had only played one game.. lets give him 3 games (vs different teams of course) before grading the guy..

I think Kyle was planning this for a while and the "injury" just made for a convenient reason. Too bad it didn't happen sooner. We would have beat GB and AZ

The best part is he got to start against the Raiders, then we move up a few levels to the Giants, then a BYE, then the schedule turns murderous. So at least he will have had two games and some practice before things get real.

Almost similar how Bill eased Montana to his first start when replacing Steve Deburg who had to take the lumps. Maybe Mullen's was the true secret weapon.
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame

Almost similar how Bill eased Montana to his first start when replacing Steve Deburg who had to take the lumps. Maybe Mullen's was the true secret weapon.

We'll see about this "secret weapon" stuff when he plays the Seahawks.

That's the real test.
16 to 8 to 4!!!
Originally posted by Kolohe:

That's the real test.

The graveyard for 49er QBs.
  • fan49
  • Veteran
Originally posted by PhillyNiner:
Too small of a sample size but from what I saw last night Mullens may be better in this offense. Faster internal clock, able to look off safeties, ball gets out quick, hitting second and third reads. Granted it was a bad team and all that, but it looks like the better tool set. If I were looking for a backup for Big Ben or Andrew Luck...I would be in the CJ market...but Mullens more accurately emulates our starter and appears to be more ready to execute the offense we run.

His pocket awareness alone makes him better

• fan49
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Kolohe:

That's the real test.

The graveyard for 49er QBs.
Yeah uh no. Let's keep him a secret and pay someone else what 137 mil. No he is either a beast shanahan could not see his talent. Or it was a fluke
[ Edited by fan49 on Nov 2, 2018 at 1:10 PM ]
There can only be one reason why Shanny doesn't name Mullens as the starter for the next game: Because he died.

Chances are, that isn't going to happen. Then again, the way this season has gone so far. Don't let Nick near any black cats or ladders.
Originally posted by billbird2111:
There can only be one reason why Shanny doesn't name Mullens as the starter for the next game: Because he died.

Chances are, that isn't going to happen. Then again, the way this season has gone so far. Don't let Nick near any black cats or ladders.

The other is ego..Remember Beathard was a third round pick who tbe 49ers traded up to get...
CJ sucks.
Originally posted by fan49:
Originally posted by PhillyNiner:

His pocket awareness alone makes him better
Agree with this. It looked like they game planned for CJ and blitzed up the middle. Nick tore em apart with hot reads.
Share 49ersWebzone