LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 219 users in the forums

Riding the IF Train to the playoffs

Shop Find 49ers gear online
IF two of the guards currently on our roster can separate themselves from the pack, protect our QB, and run the zone running scheme.....

IF Joe Staley can sustain his level of play and McGlinchey can immediately step in and provide adequate pass protection and greatly improved run blocking.....

IF Joe Williams turns the corner and becomes the home run hitter behind this refurbished line.....

IF our wide receivers can stay healthy and Garçon develops a rapport with Jimmy G.....

IF Arik Armstead can turn 8+ of his QB hurries into sacks.....

IF Solomon Thomas can contribute in a more disruptive manner.....

IF Reuben Foster stays healthy and miraculously avoids suspension.....

IF Malcolm Smith returns from injury and flashes his sideline to sideline speed.....

IF Richard Sherman returns from injury and flashes his coverage speed.....

IF Tartt can prove he wasn't a one-hit wonder.....

IF any of our DB draft picks or free agent signings pan out.....

.....THEN I believe we will advance to, at minimum, the NFC Divisional Round of the playoffs.

Does anyone else feel like we "could" have a great team but there is a LOT of uncertainty and question marks before that happens?
[ Edited by ArmchairQB on May 5, 2018 at 1:57 PM ]
  • evil
  • Veteran
I am not worried about playoffs. This is year two of a total rebuild, so I just want to continue to build off of year one and be a better football team than we were a year ago each and every Sunday.

And I do prefer this apparent slow methodical approach to building this franchise back up as it gives us a greater chance to become the next dynasty.
Originally posted by evil:
I am not worried about playoffs. This is year two of a total rebuild, so I just want to continue to build off of year one and be a better football team than we were a year ago each and every Sunday.

And I do prefer this apparent slow methodical approach to building this franchise back up as it gives us a greater chance to become the next dynasty.

I like this approach as well. I just wish we had a FEW less question marks.

How do you think we'll do?
Earl Mitchell has sideline to sideline speed? Is he taking an uber?

I agree. I'm super excited to see what we can do this year and with Jimmy I think we have a chance in any game but the schedule is brutal this head and our team still has a lot of question marks and youth at key positions so who knows what happens. It wouldn't shock me to see us finish close or below .500 with some close losses but it wouldn't be the worst thing.

Next years pass rusher class looks much stronger. Another solid FA class, pass rusher draft and we're playoff ready for sure.

Amen!
If our defense allows fewer points than our offense scores in just better than 2/3rds our our contests then I think we have a chance.
Which leads me to say the ifs are mostly on defense this season. Most of them alluded to in the OP.
I don't usually like the chances of a top ten offense leading a bottom 10 defense into the postseason.
  • evil
  • Veteran
Originally posted by ArmchairQB:

I like this approach as well. I just wish we had a FEW less question marks.

How do you think we'll do?

Tough to say given our schedule, but I think the floor is 7-8 wins.
IF all of that happens we'll hoist the Lombardi, Jimmy G and Kyle would have a field day.

IF you have to sell out to stop our run game, how could you possibly stop Jimmy carving you up?

This. You can look to the draft for evidence, ShanaLynch aren't thinking "this year." Every draft pick was made towards 2019 and beyond. Only one player is expected to start and that's only because we traded Trenton Brown.

ShanaLynch are here for 6 years and this draft validates their patience in this rebuild.

McGlinchey - RT for Brown but in a complicated WCO and zone blocking scheme, going to take him a year to develop. Potentially replaced Staley in 2019/2020.
Pettis - Swing WR who will learn all 3 WCO WR positions and might be in position to replace Taylor, Goodwin or Garcon in 2019/2020.
Moore - Uber talented FS converting to OCB. Will train under Sherman for a year and compete to start in 2019/2020.
Warner - MIKE/WILL who will learn from Toomer and M.Smith and potential replace in 2018 but more realistically, 2019/2020.
Harris - Achilles to compete with C.James for depth behind Tartt in 2018.
Street/J.Taylor - ACL to replace Armstead in 2019/2020.
Reed - Versatile FS/SCB to replace Ward's versatility in 2019/2020.
James - Potential to replace or add depth to Trent Taylor in 2019/2020.

Note that each one of these rookies has the ideal veteran to learn from. That absolutely is by design.

This regime is banking on 26 players coming back from I.R. and further development from the 2017 rookie class.
[ Edited by NCommand on May 5, 2018 at 9:28 AM ]

[ Edited by NCommand on May 5, 2018 at 7:27 AM ]
Originally posted by genus49:
Earl Mitchell has sideline to sideline speed? Is he taking an uber?

This made me smile! Thanks!

Tough to say given our schedule, but I think the floor is 7-8 wins.

Sounds reasonable!

I believe you could ask similar question of every team in the NFL. Brady goes down? NE is out of it. Will GB receivers stay healthy? Will Aldon Smith...never mind...anyhoo, that's why they play the games!
I don't think it's unreasonable to think that with better QB play, those 5 games that we lost by 3 or fewer points, could have been wins. I think we only upgraded since then. 11-5 would get us in. Not saying we're definitely going to get in, but it's not a reach at all.
[ Edited by btthepunk on May 5, 2018 at 3:39 PM ]
Originally posted by btthepunk:
I don't think it's unreasonable that with better QB play, those 5 games that we lost by 3 or fewer points, could have been wins. I think we only upgraded since then. 11-5 would get us in. Not saying we're definitely going to get in, but it's not a reach at all.

Agreed. It's certainly not a stretch at all. There is talent here. Enough for a Superbowl run? No.

DC's will watch film and try to take away the middle intermediate zones this year, I would imagine.
My hope is that guys are developed for long term sustainable success, with free agency the door will continue to swing both ways. But teams like the Steelers and Patriots always seem to be there. I want us to get infected with the success virus, and I want it to last for decades.
Share 49ersWebzone