There are 208 users in the forums

UDFA Tarvarus McFadden, CB FSU

Shop Find 49ers gear online
  • FaTaL
  • Veteran
Originally posted by NYniner85:
He reminds me of Brandon Browner in this scheme. Browner lacked long speed but had length and good technique at the LOS.

Browner was extremely physical to compensate for his lack of speed
Did he get signed?
Originally posted by jcs:
Ball thrown in front of him yes but if he's forced to track a ball over his shoulder he looks completely lost.

Probably to focused on trying to not get burned...

Disagree
Maybe you see that in the highlight video but one of the best qualities of this kid are his ball skills

Don't confuse his positioning for poor opposing qb play.
He is very good at adjusting himself when the ball is in the air and is very good at making it look easy
  • Awake
Thank you for creating a thread specifically for him.

I think this guy can push Witherspoon for playing time. I know he lacks the speed Akhello has but his instincts are better. With Sherman's tutelage, it'll do him wonders. What do yall think?
  • jcs
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Quest4six:
Originally posted by jcs:
Ball thrown in front of him yes but if he's forced to track a ball over his shoulder he looks completely lost.

Probably to focused on trying to not get burned...

Disagree
Maybe you see that in the highlight video but one of the best qualities of this kid are his ball skills

Don't confuse his positioning for poor opposing qb play.
He is very good at adjusting himself when the ball is in the air and is very good at making it look easy
I'm not the only one calling his ball skills into question, just about every other predraft report available says the same, perhaps because it's true.
I really hope Sherman takes this kid under his wing. Stash him on the PS for a year and I think this kid can compete and have a career here with the 49ers. Can't teach his size and ball skills.
If Colbert and Witherspoon repeat last year's performance and Sherman comes back 100%, then could McFadden possibly challenge Tartt? Heard McF can pretty much line up anywhere. He's that athletic.
Originally posted by Joecool:
If Colbert and Witherspoon repeat last year's performance and Sherman comes back 100%, then could McFadden possibly challenge Tartt? Heard McF can pretty much line up anywhere. He's that athletic.

McFadden is strictly a corner, why would he challenge Tartt at SS? I think Moore is the guy you are thinking of in terms of a corner and safety combo...
Originally posted by StubbyNBY:
Originally posted by Joecool:

McFadden is strictly a corner, why would he challenge Tartt at SS? I think Moore is the guy you are thinking of in terms of a corner and safety combo...

Yes, Moore. Got them wires crossed.
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000930183/article/2018-undrafted-freeagent-deals-for-all-32-nfl-teams

Even though McFadden isn't among the 7 "announced" signings, he's on NFL.com's list for us.. which only has 3 players on it.
[ Edited by OnTheClock on May 1, 2018 at 8:24 AM ]

I really hope Sherman takes this kid under his wing. Stash him on the PS for a year and I think this kid can compete and have a career here with the 49ers. Can't teach his size and ball skills.

Honestly don't think you can stash him on the PS.
Originally posted by OnTheClock:
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000930183/article/2018-undrafted-freeagent-deals-for-all-32-nfl-teams

Even though Moore isn't among the 7 "announced" signings, he's on NFL.com's list for us.. which only has 3 players on it.

Thanks OTC it is confusing to me.
Originally posted by NYniner85:

Honestly don't think you can stash him on the PS.

He would be picked off our PS almost immediately. He has to be on our roster to keep him.
He'll certainly make the team and back up Witherspoon. He'll probably get some run in dime packages too.
https://247sports.com/college/florida-state/Bolt/Elite-performers-and-second-half-rebounds-for-FSUs-defense-113080128

10. CB Tarvarus McFadden (Snaps - 874): 76.7
Stat to Know: It was a relatively disappointing junior campaign for McFadden after he showed signs of being a lockdown corner for the second half of the 2016 season. While his work against the run received poor marks (Run Defense Grade of 45.7, 397th among all CBs), he was above average in coverage. McFadden allowed 37 catches for 417 yards and four touchdowns on 73 targets while defending nine passes, good for a passer rating allowed of 116.75.

So roughly a 50% catch rate against him in 2017. Down from a league-leading 43% in 2016. He has a fair amount to work on still, including tackling (remember that was Witherspoons issue too?) but we have a great secondary coach. Hopefully they can fix his issues.
Share 49ersWebzone