There are 404 users in the forums

Draft summary

Shop Find 49ers gear online
  • GEEK
  • Veteran
Originally posted by 9ers4eva:
You forgot maybe the best fit for LEO in free agency in Danielle Hunter. Vikes likely cant afford all 3 of him Barr and Diggs.

With the premium on pass rush, I doubt Hunter sees the market.
[ Edited by Rathof44 on May 1, 2018 at 7:32 AM ]
Originally posted by genus49:
Originally posted by Rathof44:
I remember being psyched about this draft in 2013.........it ended up being terrible. Garbage. The only quality player can't find a job. Nobody knows. we think we know, we really don't.

1(18). Eric Reid, Safety, LSU
2(40). Cornellius "Tank" Carradine, Defensive End, Florida State
2(55). Vance McDonald, Tight End, Rice
3(88). Corey Lemonier, Outside Linebacker, Auburn
4(128). Quinton Patton, Wide Receiver, Louisiana Tech
4(131). Marcus Lattimore, Running Back, South Carolina
5(157). Quinton Dial, Defensive Lineman, Alabama
6(180). Nick Moody, Linebacker, Florida State
7(237). B.J. Daniels, Quarterback, South Florida
7(246). Carter Bykowski, Offensive Tackle, Iowa State
7(252). Marcus Cooper, Defensive Back, Rutgers

Exactly.

I thought this draft was amazing. Especially after the first year where Reid was a pro bowler and Lemon looked like he can actually pass rush and we still had Tank and Lattimore to look forward to coming off redshirt seasons.

Let's see how this unfolds and judge then. I understand the frustration and the disappointment but draft is a crap shoot we'll know how it went 5+ years from now.

We weren't the only one's fooled by that draft:

SAN FRANCISCO 49ERS-
This got kind of silly for a while. The 49ers traded up for S Eric Reid, who should replace Dashon Goldson. Then, they stole DE Tank Carradine at 40, TE Vance McDonald at 55 and WR Quinton Patton at 128. In between those picks, San Francisco also added quick DE/OLB Corey Lemonier and RB Marcus Lattimore, the latter of whom could be a star if his rehab from a catastrophic knee injury works out. Grade: A
https://www.si.com/nfl/audibles/2013/04/28/2013-nfl-draft-grades-jaguars-49ers-rams-top-the-class
Originally posted by brodiebluebanaszak:
Originally posted by Chief:
I loved this draft, EXCEPT, the ACL pick... That one is annoying.

Theres more than one.

Who, besides Street? If you are talking about the safety from Fla his injury was more than a year ago I believe.
From what I can tell from ShanaLynch, their draft strategy was to target a few players (McGlinchey Pettis), and one BPA (Barnes), and after that they wanted to build depth at WR, and DB; we were signing guys off the street to play these positions so perhaps now we have some young depth to bolster the roster... they also rolled the dice on a few Balke Specials... only time will tell if this draft was successful or not... right now it's just a head scratcher for me, but I'm hoping for the best
Originally posted by Ronnie49Lott:
Originally posted by genus49:
Originally posted by Rathof44:
I remember being psyched about this draft in 2013.........it ended up being terrible. Garbage. The only quality player can't find a job. Nobody knows. we think we know, we really don't.

1(18). Eric Reid, Safety, LSU
2(40). Cornellius "Tank" Carradine, Defensive End, Florida State
2(55). Vance McDonald, Tight End, Rice
3(88). Corey Lemonier, Outside Linebacker, Auburn
4(128). Quinton Patton, Wide Receiver, Louisiana Tech
4(131). Marcus Lattimore, Running Back, South Carolina
5(157). Quinton Dial, Defensive Lineman, Alabama
6(180). Nick Moody, Linebacker, Florida State
7(237). B.J. Daniels, Quarterback, South Florida
7(246). Carter Bykowski, Offensive Tackle, Iowa State
7(252). Marcus Cooper, Defensive Back, Rutgers

Exactly.

I thought this draft was amazing. Especially after the first year where Reid was a pro bowler and Lemon looked like he can actually pass rush and we still had Tank and Lattimore to look forward to coming off redshirt seasons.

Let's see how this unfolds and judge then. I understand the frustration and the disappointment but draft is a crap shoot we'll know how it went 5+ years from now.

We weren't the only one's fooled by that draft:

SAN FRANCISCO 49ERS-
This got kind of silly for a while. The 49ers traded up for S Eric Reid, who should replace Dashon Goldson. Then, they stole DE Tank Carradine at 40, TE Vance McDonald at 55 and WR Quinton Patton at 128. In between those picks, San Francisco also added quick DE/OLB Corey Lemonier and RB Marcus Lattimore, the latter of whom could be a star if his rehab from a catastrophic knee injury works out. Grade: A
https://www.si.com/nfl/audibles/2013/04/28/2013-nfl-draft-grades-jaguars-49ers-rams-top-the-class

Always funny looking back on some of these...which shows why initial grades/reactions don't mean much.

From the top of that article

"Speedy wide receiver Tavon Austin was the jewel in an extremely deep St. Louis Rams draft class. "
  • thl408
My goodness just reading that SI article, they had so many things reversed. Picks the author said were bad, were actually good. And vice versa.
Luke Joekel is a stud. Travis Frederick is a huge reach. Chiefs got it right with Eric Fichser, went wrong with Travis Kelce. I can bs like this all day, give me a job at a major publication.
[ Edited by thl408 on May 1, 2018 at 1:19 PM ]
Pre-Draft Player Connections - End Results:

ER - 10 / 1-5 (8) - Never addressed
LB - 12 / 1-7 (5) - Fred Warner (3rd)
CB - 17 / 1-7 (4) - Tarvarious Moore (3rd), D.J. Reed (5th), Tarvarus McFadden (#1 UDFA) & Emmanuel Moseley (UDFA)
WR - 17 / 1-7 (4) - Dante Pettis (2nd) & Richie James (7th)
T - 7 / 2, 4, 5 or 7 (3) - Mike McGlinchey (1st) & Jamar McGloster (UDFA)
DE - 13 / 2-7 (2) - Kentavius Street (4th) & Jullian Taylor (7th)
S - 6 / 1-4 or 7 (2) - Marcell Harris (6th), Corey Griffin (UDFA) & Terrell Williams (UDFA)
RB - 4 / 1, 2, 4 or 7 (2) - Jeffrey Wilson (UDFA)
C - 7 / 1, 5, 6 or 7 (2) - Alan Knott (UDFA) & Coleman Shelton (UDFA)
G - 4 / 1, 2, 5 or 7 (2) - Najee Toran (UDFA)
QB - 3 / 2 or 4 or 7 (1) - Jack Heneghan (UDFA)
TE - 4 / 5 or 7 (0) - Ross Dwelley (UDFA)

Looks like everything matched up except...
[ Edited by NCommand on May 1, 2018 at 2:50 PM ]
Originally posted by GEEK:
Originally posted by 9ers4eva:
You forgot maybe the best fit for LEO in free agency in Danielle Hunter. Vikes likely cant afford all 3 of him Barr and Diggs.

With the premium on pass rush, I doubt Hunter sees the market.

Not a lot of teams can pay for two top end edge rushers, a QB making $30 million per yr, two top end LBers, two 1,000 yards WRs, top end CB, and a top 5 safety lol. Can't pay everyone and they knew that when they forked over $90 million guaranteed to Kirk.

If I'm SF I'd try to call and see about a trade.

4. San Francisco 49ers

One of the most important aspects of coaching is finding players that fit your scheme and getting rid of ones who don't. For Kyle Shanahan's outside zone rushing attack, Trenton Brown just wasn't a great fit and he was coming up on a contract year. The 49ers made the tough decision to move on from him and draft Mike McGlinchey, by far the best tackle in the class and a player who carried a first round grade for me.

McGlinchey will start right away on the right side, perhaps eventually taking over for Joe Staley when the left tackle retires. The move solidifies the 49ers offensive line, which now just needs to hope for strong play from their guards to take a big next step.

The offense also got stronger with the selection of Dante Pettis, a terrific route runner and technician who can work from the slot and the outside. Fred Warner was one of the better value picks in the draft, as the 49ers nabbed my 30th-ranked player off the board at no. 70. Warner is an ascending player who I believe will start quickly in San Francisco and make an immediate impact with his range and coverage.

Tarvarius Moore is a developmental piece with athletic upside that was over-drafted, but won't be asked to contribute right away. D.J. Reed was a terrific get in the fourth round, a physical corner with the length to develop in press and the instincts to close quickly in off coverage. Kentavius Street and Marcell Harris project as situational defenders who can absolutely contribute when both are healthy, and Julian Taylor and Richie James have traits you want to work with for seventh rounders.

• mayo49
  • Veteran
It all looks good except the Street pick.
Fun!

Originally posted by mayo49:
It all looks good except the Street pick.

This is my feeling as well. Hope I'm wrong.

A couple gems in UDFA might make up for it tho.
  • Buchy
  • Veteran
The Ringer NFL podcast has a good take, they thought we had the best draft on the basis that we are building a modern, flexible defence using athletes that can do a number of different things in order to react to the Offense.

I think it's best for us to wait and see, we are obviously picking guys we think fit our scheme or excellent athletes that we can coach up.
Originally posted by GoldBrick:
This is my feeling as well. Hope I'm wrong.

A couple gems in UDFA might make up for it tho.

At least he was a 4th instead of a 2nd like Tank or 3rd like Will Redmond or Brandon Thomas...
Share 49ersWebzone