There are 537 users in the forums

WR Dante "Do something...anything" Pettis

Shop 49ers game tickets
Originally posted by Ensatsu:
normally, I'd agree. You should put him on kickoff returns and punts because of his collegiate career. But eh. He's too soft. Gunners on special teams are gonna eat him up for lunch and injure him again.

Maybe once he bulks up his frame and can take some hits, I'd be comfortable putting him back there.

Ha...the irony is I don't care as long as we make it a team priority and find ONE. We forget Kyle himself, justified moving up for this pick, IN PART, because he was a top returner citing his NCAA records.
Originally posted by NCommand:
Originally posted by 49ers808:
Zero sense to MOVE UP and draft the guy with the most punt return tds in college football history and not make him punt return. #1 reciever or not, didn't stop Antonio Brown or DeSean Jackson from returning punts and they are/was a thousand times more proven in the league at those times than Pettis currently is. That's just naming a few, It's a long list of players. Keeping him out for fear of him getting hurt is a copout if you ask me. I don't need to mention the ways guys can get hurt, punt returning is just one of another long list

Welcome to the WZ.

Originally posted by Hoovtrain:
Sorry, but a ton of teams do not
And again you have tunnel vision due to how SEA used Lockett

I see we're back to semantics to avoid the topic again.

This is what I'm talking about with you moving goal posts. You were wrong. End of story.

I should not have used a "ton." My implication was not meant to defer to the time period between September 11th 2018 10:AM PST - February 4th, 2019 9:PM PST.

Now...back to the point.

Pettis - Bad. He's too important. Scary.
Deebo - Currently fielding punts and wants too. *ignore*
Point - Made

Sorry, you were the one who brought up tons of other teams using primary weapons as PR, I was just countering your point
Lol point was not made. You are back to saying he doesn't want to field punts because he's scared. And now we've come full circle

You have an uncanny ability to zero in on one aspect of a larger point (Cohn, a semantic, etc.) while never addressing the point. I retracted the "ton" comment to fit your definition better and "scared" was referring to WZ fans...not him.

I have the ability to to zero in on one aspect?? Oh my lol. YOU are the one bringing these things up and we are just responding accordingly. For instance it's well known you don't care for Pettis. So then you bring in Cohn (another guy who clearly does not like Pettis) analysis to back your assertions. Do you not expect people to challenge this?
You've said he was scared (actually you called him a vagina a few pages back I believe) to return punts or go over the middle/contested and have questioned his dedication/heart/work ethic. I and others have countered that saying your claims appears to be baseless.
So then we move on to "well tons of other teams use their primary offensive weapons as PRs" (and yes now you have amended this) This was thoroughly debunked
And now we are back to Pettis not wanting to return punts.
The guy is coming off a rookie year in which he had to learn all 3 positions in a highly complicated offense and did pretty damn good in limited time, all of which was praised byKS, including how he came into TC as a rookie along with his work ethic-Fact
The guy set division 1 records as a PR and started the year off as the teams PR until he hurt his knee, so he most definitely is not scared to return punts -fact
Pettis still has things he needs to work on as a WR and no one is disputing that-fact

My friend all I am addressing are your points
Originally posted by Ensatsu:
normally, I'd agree. You should put him on kickoff returns and punts because of his collegiate career. But eh. He's too soft. Gunners on special teams are gonna eat him up for lunch and injure him again.

Maybe once he bulks up his frame and can take some hits, I'd be comfortable putting him back there.

Ah yes I forgot about how much bigger Antonio Brown, DeSean Jackson, Tyreek Hill and Tyler Lockett is than Pettis.
I have the ability to to zero in on one aspect?? Oh my lol. YOU are the one bringing these things up and we are just responding accordingly. For instance it's well known you don't care for Pettis. So then you bring in Cohn (another guy who clearly does not like Pettis) analysis to back your assertions. Do you not expect people to challenge this?
You've said he was scared (actually you called him a vagina a few pages back I believe) to return punts or go over the middle/contested and have questioned his dedication/heart/work ethic. I and others have countered that saying your claims appears to be baseless.
So then we move on to "well tons of other teams use their primary offensive weapons as PRs" (and yes now you have amended this) This was thoroughly debunked
The guy is coming off a rookie year in which he had to learn all 3 positions in a highly complicated offense and did pretty damn good in limited time, all of which was praised byKS, including how he came into TC as a rookie along with his work ethic-Fact
The guy set division 1 records as a PR and started the year off as the teams PR until he hurt his knee, so he most definitely is not scared to return punts -fact
Pettis still has things he needs to work on as a WR and no one is disputing that-fact

All good. My bad about using the word "ton" (see, we're still talking about it...LOL). I figured most would understand the insinuation here but I'll be more sensitive about that going forward.

As to the rest, I do like Pettis but want his full worth as a WR/PR and for him to continue to work hard at the concerns stated (many of which we would have for any rookie).

He is scared and he told us so. I believe him. It is scary. He does seem to need to be challenged and pushed. Welcome to a new generation of players. Kyle adjusted quickly. I doubt it'll happen again.

Now...what was the original point? Damn you're good! j/k
All good. My bad about using the word "ton" (see, we're still talking about it...LOL). I figured most would understand the insinuation here but I'll be more sensitive about that going forward.

As to the rest, I do like Pettis but want his full worth as a WR/PR and for him to continue to work hard at the concerns stated (many of which we would have for any rookie).

He is scared and he told us so. I believe him. It is scary. He does seem to need to be challenged and pushed. Welcome to a new generation of players. Kyle adjusted quickly. I doubt it'll happen again.

Fair enough.
Can you please link to where he said he was scared? And not the article after he was drafted where he said he sees himself as a WR not a PR.
  • pd24
  • Veteran

How long have you been into sports? Even the great ones need to be challenged and pushed. Kyle didn't adjust to anything. As a coach, you always challenge and push your players. lol
Originally posted by DonnieDarko:
I'd rather not have him return punts or kicks anymore. He's a home run threat at WR, why risk a stupid injury on special teams?

The only thing dumber is drafting the best returner in the college game and not using him.

The only thing dumber would be getting your starting receiver hurt on special teams when you have several good returners who aren't as important to the offense as YOUR STARTING RECEIVER.

Fair enough.
Can you please link to where he said he was scared? And not the article after he was drafted where he said he sees himself as a WR not a PR.

It was his Twitter (dude is on my TL daily; most player I've ever seen on Twitter). I posted it somewhere in this thread. But I ain't gonna go hunt that bad boy down. It was sometime during the regular season last year IIRC.
Originally posted by Memphis9er:
The only thing dumber would be getting your starting receiver hurt on special teams when you have several good returners who aren't as important to the offense as YOUR STARTING RECEIVER.

Weird concept huh? Using a starter as a returner because he has dynamic ability to change a game. If only there was evidence of success with such an experiment.

Originally posted by pd24:
How long have you been into sports? Even the great ones need to be challenged and pushed. Kyle didn't adjust to anything. As a coach, you always challenge and push your players. lol

Originally posted by Memphis9er:
Originally posted by DonnieDarko:
I'd rather not have him return punts or kicks anymore. He's a home run threat at WR, why risk a stupid injury on special teams?

The only thing dumber is drafting the best returner in the college game and not using him.

Fair enough.

It was his Twitter (dude is on my TL daily; most player I've ever seen on Twitter). I posted it somewhere in this thread. But I ain't gonna go hunt that bad boy down. It was sometime during the regular season last year IIRC.

I don't know NC I think we need to get a team together to fact check all your claims

I don't know NC I think we need to get a team together to fact check all your claims

Haha. A crack investigation team. You shouldn't need to. I post daily in here for you. You just choose what you want to believe or ignore what you want. And that's cool. You could follow him yourself and see the truth with your own eyes. I usually just post the entertaining stuff mostly.

And shouldn't you be over in the Jimmie Ward thread defending that FO move? Hehe
[ Edited by NCommand on May 23, 2019 at 6:51 PM ]
  • pd24
  • Veteran
Lol. Claim something is true, gets asked for a link, says I don't have it.
Share 49ersWebzone