LISTEN: 49ers Play It Smart On Day Two Of The Draft →

There are 148 users in the forums

49ers sign LB Korey Toomer

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Seems like SAM is our glaring hole in the LB core. Toomer or Coyle can't play it? Can't Coyle play WILL?
Doubt Coyle goes any where, we just guaranteed him 3 million, and if we cut him that goes straight onto our dead money list. Coyle to me is a good back up, and I would be looking to improve at the SAM, since neither Pita or Dekoda are anything special.
Originally posted by Bobdawg78:
Seems like SAM is our glaring hole in the LB core. Toomer or Coyle can't play it? Can't Coyle play WILL?

You don't want Coyle playing the free LB at WILL. SAM is a big question mark but like with Harold last year, at first, you just need to have Pita or Watson man the early downs and take 300-500 snaps a year and then sub out in nickel/dime for a better edge rusher like the Harold/Dumervil combo last year.
Originally posted by Bobdawg78:
Doubt Coyle goes any where, we just guaranteed him 3 million, and if we cut him that goes straight onto our dead money list. Coyle to me is a good back up, and I would be looking to improve at the SAM, since neither Pita or Dekoda are anything special.

Agreed. It'll be between Lee, Watson & Pita. I'm sure Saleh would love a well rounded SAM who can play every snap...big enough to play on the strong side, cover TE's and is the second best ER on the team. If this unicorn existed, he'd never come off the field.
Originally posted by NCommand:
Eli was moved to LEO which basically means he's a goner.

We kept 6 last year, 2 at each LB position. For now, my guess is:

MIKE: Malcolm Smith; Korey Toomer, Brock Coyle
WILL: Reuben Foster; Elijah Lee
SAM: Pita Taumoepenu; Dekoda Watson

...fight between Lee, Coyle and Watson and the two best special teams players of those three.

He wasn't moved to LEO. Lynch said he will take snaps there.

Smith also isn't a MIKE. He is our WILL.

If we go into the year with Harold, Pita, Lee or Toomer at SAM we are in big trouble.

I fully expect us to target a LB who can start at SAM.

SAM- Rookie / Korey Toomer / Dekoda Watson
MIKE- Reuben Foster / Brock Coyle
WILL- Malcolm Smith / Elijah Lee

I doubt Pita does anything for us and I think we move on From Eli Harold.
[ Edited by SteveYoung on Apr 8, 2018 at 9:27 PM ]
Originally posted by SteveYoung:
He wasn't moved to LEO. Lynch said he will take snaps there.

Of which they could have just left him at SAM to do. But he's a horrendous pass rusher so yeah, he's probably gone. I mean, he's going to beat out Landry, Attaocho and Marsh? Comedy...he plays base SAM or he's gone. He's probably gone.

Smith also isn't a MIKE. He is our WILL.

You know who else isn't a MIKE? Brock Coyle. Saleh needs someone he can count on to wear that green dot and that will be Malcolm to start the year most likely...or Toomer. It's not idea but it's a massive upgrade over Brock Coyle at MIKE.

If we go into the year with Harold, Pita, Lee or Toomer at SAM we are in big trouble.

Were we in trouble at SAM with the platoon of Harold/Dumervil? Nope. This year it might be Pita/Marsh.

I fully expect us to target a LB who can start at SAM.

SAM- Rookie / Korey Toomer / Dekoda Watson
MIKE- Reuben Foster / Brock Coyle
WILL- Malcolm Smith / Elijah Lee

Me too...but if we don't, we should be fine for 6 games without Foster esp. playing behind our DL and a full off season to train and all already familiar with our defensive scheme.

I doubt Pita does anything for us and I think we move on From Eli Harold.

I'm certainly not counting on Pita...we could certainly use more talent at LB but it's not as dire as some think.
Of which they could have just left him at SAM to do. But he's a horrendous pass rusher so yeah, he's probably gone. I mean, he's going to beat out Landry, Attaocho and Marsh? Comedy...he plays base SAM or he's gone. He's probably gone.

You know who else isn't a MIKE? Brock Coyle. Saleh needs someone he can count on to wear that green dot and that will be Malcolm to start the year most likely...or Toomer. It's not idea but it's a massive upgrade over Brock Coyle at MIKE.

Were we in trouble at SAM with the platoon of Harold/Dumervil? Nope. This year it might be Pita/Marsh.

Me too...but if we don't, we should be fine for 6 games without Foster esp. playing behind our DL and a full off season to train and all already familiar with our defensive scheme.

I'm certainly not counting on Pita...we could certainly use more talent at LB but it's not as dire as some think.

I like Brock Coyle. He is one of the better backup backers in the league. Keyword backup. Our run D was a huge improvement and he was part of it. I dont want him starting but I am confident in him if he has to. I think he competes with a later round rookie to start while Reuben is suspended.

Agreed with Eli Harold being gone. We brought in a better SAM (Toomer) and a better LEO (Attaochu)

As for Malcolm, he can wear the green dot as a WILL like Brock Coyle did last year. The coaches said they want to keep Reuben at MIKE.
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by FlayvaMeister:
Quality LB...80.3 Above Average LB. Originally drafted by the Seahawks in 2012 so he probably knows this scheme too.

Now...did I do this right?

I guess that closes the door on Roquan Smith.

Maybe/Hopefully ?!
Now we can go after that ER, we so desperately need …

Getting ready for a possible trade up for Chubbs?
I like Brock Coyle. He is one of the better backup backers in the league. Keyword backup. Our run D was a huge improvement and he was part of it. I dont want him starting but I am confident in him if he has to. I think he competes with a later round rookie to start while Reuben is suspended.

Agreed with Eli Harold being gone. We brought in a better SAM (Toomer) and a better LEO (Attaochu)

As for Malcolm, he can wear the green dot as a WILL like Brock Coyle did last year. The coaches said they want to keep Reuben at MIKE.

Brock certainly got better and better and he wore the green dot. Saleh trusted him. M.Smith is a far better player than Brock and is a trusted agent too; far more experienced in this defense. So we'll have to see how things go with Rueben out and how they shift around.

Given the contract they gave Malcolm and as much as Saleh covets him, he's starting either at MIKE or WILL.

Overall you're probably right in that this could go several directions based on who we draft and add to the talent pool. There's a lot of good LB's deep in this draft esp. coverage LB's. We've got some DB's like Tartt and Ward who could drop down if Saleh isn't liking the traditional LB's too... we're already in Nickel 67% of the time.

That's interesting you have Toomer at SAM. Why not? Toomer/Attaocho combo at SAM.

It'll be fun to see what Saleh does in year two with the personnel!

PS: We'll also have to see where he plays Rueben when he comes back from the suspension...MIKE or WILL? Maybe he gets his act together, gets down the MIKE and Malcolm continues to wear the dot at WILL. Possible.
[ Edited by NCommand on Apr 8, 2018 at 10:12 PM ]
I doubt we see much of Toomer at SAM. He's listed at 234 pounds. He'll get bullied by tight ends.

The LB group without Reuben concerns me. I think it's bad. The good thing is the team is doing their due diligence in the draft.
[ Edited by Heroism on Apr 8, 2018 at 10:19 PM ]

• Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by LVJay:
This guy, Coyle, Foster, the other dude....and wtf are these dudes, Elijah Lee, Mark Nzeocha and Boseko Locombo?!!

Foster is uncertain and so far, we got 90% depth with one starter available

We good.

M.Smith, Toomer, Coyle, Foster, Lee and Watson have not only experience starting but experience with this defense, in particular. That's not to say we couldn't upgrade but we should be fine even if Foster is out 6 games.

Plus they'll have all off season to get ready as starters.

MIKE: Malcolm Smith; Korey Toomer, Brock Coyle & Mark Nzeocha
WILL: Reuben Foster; Elijah Lee & Boseko Lokombo
SAM: Pita Taumoepenu; Dekoda Watson, Jimmie Gilbert & Donavin Newsome
Originally posted by Heroism:
I doubt we see much of Toomer at SAM. He's listed at 234 pounds. He'll get bullied by tight ends.

The LB group without Reuben concerns me. I think it's bad. The good thing is the team is doing their due diligence in the draft.

They certainly are!
[ Edited by NCommand on Apr 8, 2018 at 10:25 PM ]

Yes. You are correct. I just checked the Chargers depth chart from last year and they had Toomer as a backup MLB behind Denzel Perryman in their 3-4. That position would be a MIKE or WILL for us.

So as of now:

SAM- Eli Harold / Dekoda Watson
MIKE- Reuben Foster* / Korey Toomer
WILL- Malcolm Smith / Brock Coyle / Elijah Lee

So I guess Toomer and Coyle will compete to start at MLB, maybe along with a rookie while Reuben is suspended.

It looks to me that SAM is the biggest need on our roster with an upgrade needed at LEO but at least we have Marsh and Attaochu to take snaps at LEO if need be.
  • cciowa
  • Veteran

They certainly are!
i agree that our linebacking crew without foster is bad.. smith maybe a player but the rest are back ups and special teams. i am glad they signed two guys from the chargers and i think they are better than anyone not named foster on our roster. thanks to foster we have a need that there is not way we should have.. i have no confidence in eli. i hope and trust they will get a linebacker on day three to go along with smith who i hope they draft on day one,.
Yes. You are correct. I just checked the Chargers depth chart from last year and they had Toomer as a backup MLB behind Denzel Perryman in their 3-4. That position would be a MIKE or WILL for us.

So as of now:

SAM- Eli Harold / Dekoda Watson
MIKE- Reuben Foster* / Korey Toomer
WILL- Malcolm Smith / Brock Coyle / Elijah Lee

So I guess Toomer and Coyle will compete to start at MLB, maybe along with a rookie while Reuben is suspended.

It looks to me that SAM is the biggest need on our roster with an upgrade needed at LEO but at least we have Marsh and Attaochu to take snaps at LEO if need be.

Agreed and this from Barrows.

Setting Foster aside, Malcolm Smith is fully recovered from last year's pectoral tear. He could play "MIKE" linebacker, but the team would prefer to use his speed at the "WILL" spot. Brock Coyle proved to be a strong backup last season and could step in if Foster were unable to play.

No way you want Brock out in space ar WILL (huge mismatch for us). If he ever has to start, and hopefully he never does, he's best at MIKE cleaning up behind our DL.

Ideally, we get a stout SAM in the draft...a bigger SAM who can handle the strong side, can drop in coverage and even provide some ER. For now, if we add nobody else, M.Smith, Toomer and Lee will compete at MIKE and WILL.
[ Edited by NCommand on Apr 9, 2018 at 8:38 AM ]
Share 49ersWebzone