LISTEN: 49ers Play It Smart On Day Two Of The Draft →

There are 124 users in the forums

49ers sign LB Korey Toomer

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by NCommand:
Originally posted by SteveYoung:
Yes. You are correct. I just checked the Chargers depth chart from last year and they had Toomer as a backup MLB behind Denzel Perryman in their 3-4. That position would be a MIKE or WILL for us.

So as of now:

SAM- Eli Harold / Dekoda Watson
MIKE- Reuben Foster* / Korey Toomer
WILL- Malcolm Smith / Brock Coyle / Elijah Lee

So I guess Toomer and Coyle will compete to start at MLB, maybe along with a rookie while Reuben is suspended.

It looks to me that SAM is the biggest need on our roster with an upgrade needed at LEO but at least we have Marsh and Attaochu to take snaps at LEO if need be.

Agreed and this from Barrows.

Setting Foster aside, Malcolm Smith is fully recovered from last year's pectoral tear. He could play "MIKE" linebacker, but the team would prefer to use his speed at the "WILL" spot. Brock Coyle proved to be a strong backup last season and could step in if Foster were unable to play.

No way you want Brock out in space ar WILL (huge mismatch for us). If he ever has to start, and hopefully he never does, he's best at MIKE cleaning up behind our DL.

Ideally, we get a stout SAM in the draft...a bigger SAM who can handle the strong side, can drop in coverage and even provide some ER. For now, if we add nobody else, M.Smith, Toomer and Lee will compete at MIKE and WILL.

Yeah put Toomer at backup WILL and Coyle at MLB where he had success in a depleted team calling out the plays as well.

Also don't forget about Tartt playing nickel LB if need be since we retained Jimmie Ward who should have no issue playing SS in PASSING downs.
[ Edited by SmokeCrabtrees on Apr 9, 2018 at 3:49 PM ]
  • LVJay
  • Veteran
Originally posted by SmokeCrabtrees:
Yeah put Toomer at backup WILL and Coyle at MLB where he had success in a depleted team calling out the plays as well.

Also don't forget about Tartt playing nickel LB if need be since we retained Jimmie Ward who should have no issue playing SS in PASSING downs.

I hope Toomer becomes more than just an average back up.

Ward is dope af.......I just hope he doesn't injure himself from putting on his cleats, walking down the stairs, chewing on some gum or something
Dude looks big. Ready to compete at MIKE.

Those look like Bowman/P-Willy type guns

For real.

Wow, he looks jacked! Him knowing this system inside and out also gives him a big advantage. He is going to be a solid player for us. He started 8 games on a real good Chargers D and played pretty dam well. Good pick-up
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by StubbyNBY:

Wow, he looks jacked! Him knowing this system inside and out also gives him a big advantage. He is going to be a solid player for us. He started 8 games on a real good Chargers D and played pretty dam well. Good pick-up

I agree, once Reuben gets over his legal and Roger Goodell issues, Toomer, Fred, and Reuben should be considered an upgrade of our LB group.
Originally posted by Giedi:

I agree, once Reuben gets over his legal and Roger Goodell issues, Toomer, Fred, and Reuben should be considered an upgrade of our LB group.

And like what MM said the other day, prior to Malcolm Smith getting injured, he, by far was the best LB out there and Saleh has a man crush on him.

Don't be shocked, that if Foster is out, Toomer and Smith start initially.

I have no idea who starts at SAM...or what happens when Foster comes back but at least we have a full off season to find the best combo.
[ Edited by NCommand on May 1, 2018 at 9:39 AM ]
Originally posted by Giedi:

And like what MM said the other day, prior to Malcolm Smith getting injured, he, by far was the best LB out there and Saleh has a man crush on him.

Don't be shocked, that if Foster is out, Toomer and Smith start initially.

I have no idea who starts at SAM...or what happens when Foster comes back but at least we have a full off season to find the best combo.

There were stats out I saw on Twitter that he's a great run defender. Knows the defense, sounds like a great base/depth signing to me.
  • LVJay
  • Veteran
Dude looks sick and good to go!!

I think the season starts with:

Will - Smith
Mike - Toomer
Sam - Harold

Warner backs up Smith, Brock backs up Toomer, and Watson or Pita backs up Harold. Once Rueben comes back from suspension he will ease into a role by splitting time with Toomer. Harold is the Sam for now because he really does a nice job as a run stopper there, but hopefully Pita pushes him and offers more pass rush. Pita needed to get stronger and learn the system better. All he ever did in Utah was line up and chase the QB. He needs to learn to set the edge, stack and shed, and read blocks. We'll see if he can learn it. Otherwise, next year's draft will focus on Sam, LEO, OG, and maybe FS.
Originally posted by Karma:
I think the season starts with:

Will - Smith
Mike - Toomer
Sam - Harold

Warner backs up Smith, Brock backs up Toomer, and Watson or Pita backs up Harold. Once Rueben comes back from suspension he will ease into a role by splitting time with Toomer. Harold is the Sam for now because he really does a nice job as a run stopper there, but hopefully Pita pushes him and offers more pass rush. Pita needed to get stronger and learn the system better. All he ever did in Utah was line up and chase the QB. He needs to learn to set the edge, stack and shed, and read blocks. We'll see if he can learn it. Otherwise, next year's draft will focus on Sam, LEO, OG, and maybe FS.

I can see that too as the base LBs.

Nickle LBs Warner and Smith/Tartt(if Reuben is suspended). If its Tartt next to Warner/Smith then Ward goes to SS,assuming it's a pure pass down.
[ Edited by SmokeCrabtrees on May 2, 2018 at 9:38 PM ]
  • LVJay
  • Veteran

Dude, I'm not sure but his #Guns might be a little bigger than theirs
[ Edited by LVJay on May 2, 2018 at 11:35 PM ]
Originally posted by LVJay:

Dude, I'm not sure but his #Guns might be a little bigger than theirs

This is the closest resemblance I could find. Didn't see any pictures of Toomer flexing biceps like Pwilly did a lot. Well call it a push haha. Does look like Toomer has triceps perhaps haha.
[ Edited by SmokeCrabtrees on May 2, 2018 at 11:54 PM ]
  • Andra
  • Veteran

"More wiser"
Share 49ersWebzone