49ers sign LB Korey Toomer

Shop Find 49ers gear online
  • Cjez
  • Hall of Fame
There should be 1 more thread
  • Stud
I'll take it. Depth signing.
Originally posted by 49ers808:
Great signing to play instead of Coyle until Reuben is back. With this, we literally signed a player for each position of need in free agency. The draft can't get here soon enough man, I have no idea what we doing.

Yep. We did the same thing last year with the 40 signings we made lol

Same this year. We don't really have one GLARING need. Yes we can upgrade a few positions but as of today we can field a very competitive team.

I love how Lynch is building this team.
Originally posted by NYniner85:
22nd overall ranked LBer this yr

Very solid vs the run.

Eli Harold was ranked #56

We upgraded but I still look for us to target a SAM backer in the draft.
  • 9moon
  • Veteran
wasted time
pff loves this fool.
He might make the team. But it looks like we are just doing exactly what Lynchahan did last year. Keep finding and signing whoever and whatever they can on the almost empty NFL shelves at positions of need, and to keep the draft a complete guessing game.
Originally posted by mojave45:
  • it looks like we are just doing exactly what Lynchahan did last year …
  • signing positions of need …
  • to keep the draft a complete guessing game ...

Although much of our fanbase "couldn't see the forest for the trees", it was a strategy which faired the franchise well (considering all things).
The future looks bright for the 49ers … and I'm very excited for the upcoming draft, to see what surprises our FO has in store ;D
Originally posted by FlayvaMeister:

Although much of our fanbase "couldn't see the forest for the trees", it was a strategy which faired the franchise well (considering all things).
The future looks bright for the 49ers … and I'm very excited for the upcoming draft, to see what surprises our FO has in store ;D

I think this year's draft is going to be a fun ride.
  • LVJay
  • Veteran
Not a
Not a
Just

Originally posted by AXEGRINDER:
Not a Toomer

Excellent knowledge, sir!
Originally posted by 9moon:
wasted time

Are you talking about writing this post?
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
Originally posted by FlayvaMeister:

I think this year's draft is going to be a fun ride.

Every draft is a fun ride - just hope we stay away from the ACL brigade.
Originally posted by NCommand:
Quality LB...80.3 Above Average LB. Originally drafted by the Seahawks in 2012 so he probably knows this scheme too.

Now...did I do this right?

I guess that closes the door on Roquan Smith.

I'm okay with going a different route other than Roquan but I don't see why a second tier free agent signing on a one year deal would close the door on a potential talent like Roquan.

Coyle is still recovering from shoulder surgery. Foster is gearing up for a probable suspension and his career will be on thin ice for the forseable future. Malcom Smith is more of a bridge player than a long term answer at linebacker and the team can move on from him after this season.

So outside of Smith, that leaves us Coyle who is more of a special teams ace than a reliable starter, Toomer who is a depth signing with experience in the scheme and spot starts, and Reuben (see above paragraph) atop the depth chart. I see no reason the 49ers don't still consider Roquan if he's there when they pick. Apparently the team agrees because they are still using one of their 30 draft pre visits on Roquan and I'm sure adding depth at linebacker wasn't a decision the team just made in the last 24 hours.
[ Edited by Willisfn4life on Apr 5, 2018 at 4:51 AM ]
Originally posted by gold49digger:
Originally posted by NCommand:
Quality LB...80.3 Above Average LB. Originally drafted by the Seahawks in 2012 so he probably knows this scheme too.

Now...did I do this right?

I guess that closes the door on Roquan Smith.

not at all. but we are in a good position to draft bpa. we signed a young leo in attaochu who could be a steal, signed a solid guard (if healthy) in cooper and now a very solid lb in toomer. they won't prevent us from drafting nelson, smith, or landry/davenport, but they are good enough to play. very solid FA by us.

I'm with Gold digger, we can just go through this entire draft picking the best players available, only QB & FB are off the menu, anyone else if they're a good fit for us on and off the field they'll be 49ers. Great work by the FO.
Share 49ersWebzone