There are 254 users in the forums

49ers sign LB Korey Toomer

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Yea i dont follow why this move nixes a possible roquan selection.

I look at it as general depth move and recognition that coyle is not the intermediate term solution.

We have to leave behind the wilhoite syndrome. So this is about that. Spending a few bucks while we have them.
Originally posted by Willisfn4life:
Originally posted by NCommand:
Quality LB...80.3 Above Average LB. Originally drafted by the Seahawks in 2012 so he probably knows this scheme too.

Now...did I do this right?

I guess that closes the door on Roquan Smith.

I'm okay with going a different route other than Roquan but I don't see why a second tier free agent signing on a one year deal would close the door on a potential talent like Roquan.

Coyle is still recovering from shoulder surgery. Foster is gearing up for a probable suspension and his career will be on thin ice for the forseable future. Malcom Smith is more of a bridge player than a long term answer at linebacker and the team can move on from him after this season.

So outside of Smith, that leaves us Coyle who is more of a special teams ace than a reliable starter, Toomer who is a depth signing with experience in the scheme and spot starts, and Reuben (see above paragraph) atop the depth chart. I see no reason the 49ers don't still consider Roquan if he's there when they pick. Apparently the team agrees because they are still using one of their 30 draft pre visits on Roquan and I'm sure adding depth at linebacker wasn't a decision the team just made in the last 24 hours.

That was my attempt at a WZ overreaction, hence the line, "Now...did I do this right?"

Quality LB...80.3 Above Average LB. Originally drafted by the Seahawks in 2012 so he probably knows this scheme too.

Now...did I do this right?

I guess that closes the door on Roquan Smith.

I'm okay with going a different route other than Roquan but I don't see why a second tier free agent signing on a one year deal would close the door on a potential talent like Roquan.

Coyle is still recovering from shoulder surgery. Foster is gearing up for a probable suspension and his career will be on thin ice for the forseable future. Malcom Smith is more of a bridge player than a long term answer at linebacker and the team can move on from him after this season.

So outside of Smith, that leaves us Coyle who is more of a special teams ace than a reliable starter, Toomer who is a depth signing with experience in the scheme and spot starts, and Reuben (see above paragraph) atop the depth chart. I see no reason the 49ers don't still consider Roquan if he's there when they pick. Apparently the team agrees because they are still using one of their 30 draft pre visits on Roquan and I'm sure adding depth at linebacker wasn't a decision the team just made in the last 24 hours.

That was my attempt at a WZ overreaction, hence the line, "Now...did I do this right?"

Lol. Come on man, it was early on the east coast. I need some emojis or something.
Hes a 76 on Madden.. just saying
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
no all pro but they say he is steady against the run and is a respectable player.. given the state of our linebackers this was a wise much needed signing as pickings are slim in regards to linebackers. smith is coming off a injury. no offense to those who love coyle and the potential of elijah. those guys are not full time dependable players. foster is foster and eli. well never mind . i like the two guys we signed from the chargers and i am warming to signing a great linebacker, smith with the first pick. now we may have signed these two guys anyway but it sucks that fosters stupidity has put us in this position
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by brodiebluebanaszak:

I look at it as general depth move and recognition that coyle is not the intermediate term solution.

We have to leave behind the wilhoite syndrome. So this is about that. Spending a few bucks while we have them.

this signing has nothing to do with smith.. in fact it has more to do with the fact that the over rated brock and elijah are not the answers in my opinion
Originally posted by cciowa:
no all pro but they say he is steady against the run and is a respectable player.. given the state of our linebackers this was a wise much needed signing as pickings are slim in regards to linebackers. smith is coming off a injury. no offense to those who love coyle and the potential of elijah. those guys are not full time dependable players. foster is foster and eli. well never mind . i like the two guys we signed from the chargers and i am warming to signing a great linebacker, smith with the first pick. now we may have signed these two guys anyway but it sucks that fosters stupidity has put us in this position

You nailed it. Korey Toomer has nothing to do with Roquan Smith. They play different positions.

If we draft Roquan it would be to play MLB while Reuben is suspended for AT LEAST a minimum of 6 games and then he would slide over to WILL.

I still think Roquan is the way to go this year if we stay at 9.

If we can get Roquan Smith, Lorenzo Carter and Ogbonnio Okoronkwo along with a young CB our D would be in great shape.
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by SteveYoung:
You nailed it. Korey Toomer has nothing to do with Roquan Smith. They play different positions.

If we draft Roquan it would be to play MLB while Reuben is suspended for AT LEAST a minimum of 6 games and then he would slide over to WILL.

I still think Roquan is the way to go this year if we stay at 9.

If we can get Roquan Smith, Lorenzo Carter and Ogbonnio Okoronkwo along with a young CB our D would be in great shape.
i used to think guard at number one. then you helped me to see that is more of a second or third round pick. then i thought pass rusher but i think we can get a good one of those with the second or third pick.... so i am firmly in your corner of getting smith if we stay at 9 and if he is there
Originally posted by cciowa:
Originally posted by brodiebluebanaszak:

this signing has nothing to do with smith.. in fact it has more to do with the fact that the over rated brock and elijah are not the answers in my opinion

Coyle may be overrated as a starting LB bit he's a great special teams guy and you simply need those types on the depth chart. Eli is the tough one to guage. The SAM isn't going to typically put up sexy numbers and is usually the first guy off the field in nickel. I would go so far as to say the SAM is less important than the slot CB in today's NFL. That being said, I don't see the team investing a lot of resources to the SAM position. I'd still be cool if we drafted Raquon since him and Foster would make for a nasty pair of nickel LBers.
[ Edited by walker807 on Apr 5, 2018 at 7:16 AM ]
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by walker807:
Coyle may be overrated as a starting LB bit he's a great special teams guy and you simply need those types on the depth chart. Eli is the tough one to guage. The SAM isn't going to typically put up sexy numbers and is usually the first guy off the field in nickel. I would go so far as to say the SAM is less important than the slot CB in today's NFL. That being said, I don't see the team investing a lot of resources to the SAM position. I'd still be cool if we drafted Raquon since him and Foster would make for a nasty pair of nickel LBers.

oh i agree, coyle is a fine special teams person and could fill in if need be but we need better with a starter. i like the two men we picked up from the chargers and as you and steve said. smith would be wonderful if we could snag him. if foster flames out, well it is a tough lesson lynch learned but we would have smith and that would be great. if foster comes around and we have both he and smith. well..

Lol. Come on man, it was early on the east coast. I need some emojis or something.

Haha, I gotcha covered next time!
Originally posted by KyleShanahan:

Thanks for sharing coach.
Originally posted by KyleShanahan:

Kyle Shanahan playing madden:

Final stage of FA before the draft -
Sees 76 overall player on madden with good speed, agility, and no bidding teams...

"Sign him"

Very cool, I will be rooting for him to make the 53.

Bringing him on is just like we did last year with Watson. Both know the system and tackle well.
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by TheXFactor:
Very cool, I will be rooting for him to make the 53.

Bringing him on is just like we did last year with Watson. Both know the system and tackle well.

tackling. speaking of things we failed miserably at. in my opinion last year
Share 49ersWebzone