LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 228 users in the forums

My 2018 49ers Offseason Outlook, with free agent, and draft fits.

Shop Find 49ers gear online
I will argue all day long about if we should have signed Kilgore but won't argue one bit that it means we won't sign a FA center. It's just not happening.

Also what about Justin Hunter as a tall WR? Didn't see him on your list would be really cheap.
I don't know what to say, AB, but of all your great work, this may be your finest. Many thanks Hombre. The amount of work you put in here is just awesome. You are our man.

Couple comments, re: savings on cuts, esp Ward by Mar 14th.
Here's a question. At $8mil, that comes to half a mil per game. Ok, fine. But how many times, how many games did we look for Ward and he was out, injured? Answer: A lot. So much so , in fact , that i don't see how we can continue with a guy with his injury track record. I mean it is "You think Ward will play tomorrow?" And frequently the answer is no. Now i don't know how many games he misses on average, but i know he seems to be out as much as in. For 8 million bucks, i want my DB on the field. And one yr, injuries, hey it happens. Repetitive yrs? Nope that is more than we can afford. Besides how the heck do you set a D when you don't know if your starter is in...or out.? So for me, cost in $$ aside, no for the injury record. He is way more expensive in time lost than we can afford. In other words, it ISN"t $$$. It is time lost to injury. Honestly i would take a guy not as good but ok, if he was there every game, all game. With ward it almost guarantees he won't be there...exactly when we need him. Save the money, and move on. I was going to say use all of that plus another $4 mil to sign Ansah, but if tagged fuggedaboudit.

BEadles? No brainer. Save the cash, $4.5 mil with not bad dead money. We gotta do better than Beatles. We just have to. And at $4mil he is ...well, sufficiently overpriced. If he signed for his dead money, maybe....nope not even that.

A thought on A. Robinson WR with repaired ACL (i think) You mentioned his speed, but post op, you really think he still has that? At $10 mil per....that worries me. Also those guys make money on their quick cuts. Post ACL? Ummm....i would look elsewhere.

Another topic was WR, which i have not really included in any thing i have posted. As one fan said, "what , you want another WR so Jimmy, who has yet to throw a pass to Garçon, averaged over 300 yds/game....and you want to get another WR and have him average 350 yrds /game? Well, AB, he does have a point. Now, a Jimmy GRaham type , same body style you mentioned, 6'5" can climb an invisible ladder to get that pass in the EZ....sure, that WR i want...dearly....but slot, and remaining WRs....we got plenty and we got huge holes at OG /C/OG ,CB, LBs((3), and of course, EDGE. I would favor stiicking with those positions unless the WR in conversation is that Goal line WR that can outjump everyone else and is at least 6'4" and strong as an ox.

Jensen and Richburg...AB your thots on them compared to Wisnewski, Mack, (neither available) or in draft Nelson...please

RB...you made some great summaries, but do you subscribe to the adage that KYle and his dad never take a RB until rd 4 or 5? Or is that just silliness?

Really liked your breakdowns (with price range) on FA OGs. Also if Nelson were there at 9-10(he won't be unless the moon turns blue)....you like him as well as most of the rest of us , and would you take him at 9-10? I would for sure, assuming we didn't pick up Jensen or Richburg. But you?

Excellent reviews of LEOs and the one interesting case of a LEO/ LB... still one way or the other, we would need to fill the slot he Didn't fill, so interesting but don't see it gives us any advantage playing 2 diifferent Slots.

Lastly Corners. Mel kiper had us taking our first CB at #74 in draft. He may have inside info, but for that to be right , it means he knows or suspects we are FAing CBs (plural) in FA. No way we don't take a CB in draft until #74 ....unless we are loading up with a pair in FA....you buy into that?

Thank you in advance AB, and i hope you can answer a few of the above. We all sincerely appreciate all the incredible work you do. Thanks, my man.
Originally posted by FL9er:

x 2 +
What do you feel about Josh Sitton and Hubbard for the OLine??
Originally posted by Waterbear:
I will argue all day long about if we should have signed Kilgore but won't argue one bit that it means we won't sign a FA center. It's just not happening.

Also what about Justin Hunter as a tall WR? Didn't see him on your list would be really cheap.

Hunter would be a guy we'd get for a deal similar to what Aldrick Robinson got, 2yr deal, low GTD money.
Originally posted by pasodoc9er:
I don't know what to say, AB, but of all your great work, this may be your finest. Many thanks Hombre. The amount of work you put in here is just awesome. You are our man.

Couple comments, re: savings on cuts, esp Ward by Mar 14th.
Here's a question. At $8mil, that comes to half a mil per game. Ok, fine. But how many times, how many games did we look for Ward and he was out, injured? Answer: A lot. So much so , in fact , that i don't see how we can continue with a guy with his injury track record. I mean it is "You think Ward will play tomorrow?" And frequently the answer is no. Now i don't know how many games he misses on average, but i know he seems to be out as much as in. For 8 million bucks, i want my DB on the field. And one yr, injuries, hey it happens. Repetitive yrs? Nope that is more than we can afford. Besides how the heck do you set a D when you don't know if your starter is in...or out.? So for me, cost in $$ aside, no for the injury record. He is way more expensive in time lost than we can afford. In other words, it ISN"t $$$. It is time lost to injury. Honestly i would take a guy not as good but ok, if he was there every game, all game. With ward it almost guarantees he won't be there...exactly when we need him. Save the money, and move on. I was going to say use all of that plus another $4 mil to sign Ansah, but if tagged fuggedaboudit.

BEadles? No brainer. Save the cash, $4.5 mil with not bad dead money. We gotta do better than Beatles. We just have to. And at $4mil he is ...well, sufficiently overpriced. If he signed for his dead money, maybe....nope not even that.

A thought on A. Robinson WR with repaired ACL (i think) You mentioned his speed, but post op, you really think he still has that? At $10 mil per....that worries me. Also those guys make money on their quick cuts. Post ACL? Ummm....i would look elsewhere.

Another topic was WR, which i have not really included in any thing i have posted. As one fan said, "what , you want another WR so Jimmy, who has yet to throw a pass to Garçon, averaged over 300 yds/game....and you want to get another WR and have him average 350 yrds /game? Well, AB, he does have a point. Now, a Jimmy GRaham type , same body style you mentioned, 6'5" can climb an invisible ladder to get that pass in the EZ....sure, that WR i want...dearly....but slot, and remaining WRs....we got plenty and we got huge holes at OG /C/OG ,CB, LBs((3), and of course, EDGE. I would favor stiicking with those positions unless the WR in conversation is that Goal line WR that can outjump everyone else and is at least 6'4" and strong as an ox.

Jensen and Richburg...AB your thots on them compared to Wisnewski, Mack, (neither available) or in draft Nelson...please

RB...you made some great summaries, but do you subscribe to the adage that KYle and his dad never take a RB until rd 4 or 5? Or is that just silliness?

Really liked your breakdowns (with price range) on FA OGs. Also if Nelson were there at 9-10(he won't be unless the moon turns blue)....you like him as well as most of the rest of us , and would you take him at 9-10? I would for sure, assuming we didn't pick up Jensen or Richburg. But you?

Excellent reviews of LEOs and the one interesting case of a LEO/ LB... still one way or the other, we would need to fill the slot he Didn't fill, so interesting but don't see it gives us any advantage playing 2 diifferent Slots.

Lastly Corners. Mel kiper had us taking our first CB at #74 in draft. He may have inside info, but for that to be right , it means he knows or suspects we are FAing CBs (plural) in FA. No way we don't take a CB in draft until #74 ....unless we are loading up with a pair in FA....you buy into that?

Thank you in advance AB, and i hope you can answer a few of the above. We all sincerely appreciate all the incredible work you do. Thanks, my man.

1. Thanks as always for the kind words.

2. I wish we could save Ward's money, if he isn't in the plans, hopefully he is healthy enough to release him, and save the $8.526M, also bummed about Ansah.

3. Yeah Beadles makes sense to be cut, too much sense. $5M is too much for a bench player.

4. I think Allen Robinson should be good to go, I'm not concerned about his speed post ACL injury. He should also be almost recovered enough, as he tore it in september.

5. Graham would be a good pickup, but I think he will want too much money to be honest.

6. In a perfect world I'd sign Jensen or Richburg for C, move KIlgore to RG, and draft Quenton Nelson at LG. Nelson is one of my favorite prospects

7. I actually believe Kyle and the Shanahan's won't take a back high, and would rather plug someone in there. plus they always seem to have good o-lines and backs, knowing how to build that as well.

8. If Nelson is there at 9/10, and we haven't gotten a interior o-lineman, but also signed a edge rusher, yes draft Nelson.

9. Yeah, I'm thinking we need 1 LEO and 1 SAM LB, not someone who plays both, I just think some of them could play either, or both if needed, but rather would have 1 for each.

10. I doubt Kiper has any inside knowledge on what we will do, or what any other team, he knows as much as I do, and I have no ties to the 49ers or any NFL team, CB wise, I think we sign someone, hopefully Johnson, Fuller or Butler. If not, we need to draft one early.

11. Again thanks Doc, appreciate the love.
Originally posted by LasVegasWally:
What do you feel about Josh Sitton and Hubbard for the OLine??

Sitton wouldn't be bad, i know the bears turned down his option.

Hubbard is from the Steelers right? I'm not too familiar with him like I am Sitton, I'd need to research him.
Originally posted by Fresno49er:
Great read, but im kinda surprised you didnt include ILB as a position of insurance after the Foster fiasco.

I forgot about the MIKE and WILL spot(s) with Foster likely being suspended, need to edit those in, I did list draft fits though, obviously Roquan Smith is the top guy. But will add that in later.
Updated, added in potential MLB/WLB FA targets.
Thanks for your great work. Based on the estimated salary cap of 69M, realistically, would we be talking about picking up, say , four to maybe six players at the most in free agency?

Originally posted by WestCoastForever:
Thanks for your great work. Based on the estimated salary cap of 69M, realistically, would we be talking about picking up, say , four to maybe six players at the most in free agency?

I think 30-35 million will be spent on free agents while 10 or so on the draft class and almost 30 to roll over..
Originally posted by jersey49er:

I think 30-35 million will be spent on free agents while 10 or so on the draft class and almost 30 to roll over..

That seems about right to me. Given AB's salary estimates, that would allow for, maybe one or two higher-priced 14 M players and one or two in the 4 M range.
[ Edited by WestCoastForever on Feb 25, 2018 at 8:01 PM ]
Originally posted by AB81Rules:
Thanks guys, took me all day Saturday to do this, up until I posted it.

I didn't consider cut candidates, as you never know who may be cut, but Jabaal Sheard is interesting. Sucks that Ansah is likely to be tagged, now we should focus on WR(Robinson if not tagged), and CB(Johnson, Fuller, Butler, Colvin, Melvin, etc...) And also take a look at the OG spot, while probably having to upgrade the LEO in the draft, I love Attoachu, I think he'd be a great fit as the SAM LB.

Can't wait, 2 weeks from this Wednesday, 2 weeks from Monday starts the legal tampering period, where we can talk to agents, and sorta strike deals, like we knew Hoyer and Garcon were signing before FA began.

Great info AB! Thanks! We probably all have players we would like to see the niners go after and some we would avoid like the plague...but you have covered so many! I'd really like to see them solidify OG, CB and WR in free agency so the draft can be more open to best player available.

Of guys on your list it seems the 9ers could get lucky--
CB: Butler or Johnson
WR: Robinson or Matthews (Landry was my favorite as I liked him coming out of college as well--heck!)
Edge: ANYONE! Would like them to go after a couple guys like the NYG did in their SB years.
Originally posted by jersey49er:

That seems about right to me. Given AB's salary estimates, that would allow for, maybe one or two higher-priced 14 M players and one or two in the 4 M range.

Exactly how I expect it to go..get 3 starters in free agency ( CB, SAM and G definitely) and the draft will be BPA at most picks ( LEO, RB, ILB, WR)
  • Rydes
  • Veteran
What about trading for martavius Bryant. Hes 6-5 and can be a deep threat as well fairly young too
Share 49ersWebzone