LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 213 users in the forums

My 2018 49ers Offseason Outlook, with free agent, and draft fits.

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by WestCoastForever:
Thanks for your great work. Based on the estimated salary cap of 69M, realistically, would we be talking about picking up, say , four to maybe six players at the most in free agency?

Depends to be honest, we could sign anywhere from 5-10 guys, depends on who they are, money involved, and how Marathe structures the deals.

I'm sure we'll spend a good $35M in free agency, plus we can save quite a bit by cutting beadles, tomlinson, and aldrick robinson. plus is Ward is healthy, that's $8.526M extra, plus we'll have plenty of rollover for 2019, right now based on a $190M cap, we're $86.837M under, with 41 players signed, includes Garoppolo, Kilgore, and Marsh's deals.
Love this page. Thank you AB!
Originally posted by AB81Rules:
Thanks for your great work. Based on the estimated salary cap of 69M, realistically, would we be talking about picking up, say , four to maybe six players at the most in free agency?

Depends to be honest, we could sign anywhere from 5-10 guys, depends on who they are, money involved, and how Marathe structures the deals.

I'm sure we'll spend a good $35M in free agency, plus we can save quite a bit by cutting beadles, tomlinson, and aldrick robinson. plus is Ward is healthy, that's $8.526M extra, plus we'll have plenty of rollover for 2019, right now based on a $190M cap, we're $86.837M under, with 41 players signed, includes Garoppolo, Kilgore, and Marsh's deals.

And Jimmy G Spot only counting $20M with only Trenton Brown and Jaquiski Tartt left to resign.
Originally posted by NCommand:

And Jimmy G Spot only counting $20M with only Trenton Brown and Jaquiski Tartt left to resign.

Don't forget that Buckner becomes eligible for an extension after 2018
Originally posted by Rydes:
What about trading for martavius Bryant. Hes 6-5 and can be a deep threat as well fairly young too

The problem with Martavis is the possible headaches he could create. He got suspended a whole year for drug use. Good player but the Foster stuff might not be a good addition to the team from a franchise vision perspective.
AB...just wondering which players you, and others, see as elite at the top of this draft. My thought is that the 9ers will identify a number of guys they would jump on at #9 and if they are gone, trade back.

My list would include:
OG Nelson--not necessary to take an interior OL this high but...is he that good? Might be.
LB R Smith--a knack for attacking with speed and tenacity.
DL Chubb--edge is the most difficult position to fill after FQB.

Second level guys who would be fine at #9--(but could you drop back and get the same value?):
DB Fitzpatrick--is he a lockdown CB or an elite safety? Or...?
DB Ward--lockdown or just good?
Edge Davenport--coming up the boards fast.
S James--would be fine at #9 but...after three safeties in the past few years...fans would be sad.
CB Jackson--lockdown?

Guys I don't see the niners taking:
RB Barkley
QBs--any
DTs--any...but would a guy like Vea be a game changer?

My favorite idea, fill needs with FAs, drop back and take Shanahan's favorite WR:
Sutton
Washington
Ateman
Gallup
Ridley
[ Edited by dtg_9er on Feb 26, 2018 at 8:30 AM ]
Originally posted by NCommand:

Don't forget that Buckner becomes eligible for an extension after 2018

Ahhh, that might another smart move.
AB what do we save by cutting Malcolm Smith?
Originally posted by lamontb:

Cap penalty
Originally posted by lamontb:

Literally nothing, $550K with a post June 1 cut, and cap penalty pre June 1.

AB...any thoughts on making fewer cuts so the niners use the appropriate level of cap dollars? I believe they need to reach a specific percentage and making cuts to clear cut space may make that more difficult should they fail to sign enough free agents.
  • SoCold
  • Hall of Dumb
With free agency about to start, I thought it would be a good idea to look at the current state of the 49ers, as well as look at the core of this team moving forward, potential cap casualties, and potential free agent & draft fits.

First off, the 49ers right now sit at $69,323,916 under the 2018 NFL Salary Cap, which I have projected at $178 million, plus their carryover amount of $56,048,430, but this is of course a projection, as the league hasn't set the 2018 salary cap at the moment.

Now let's start with looking at players who look to be the core players under contract as of now, with those either being long term players, or veterans you keep around for experience, and leadership.

Note: By core group, I mean guys who fit on any or all of the three units, offense, defense, and special teams.

QB Jimmy Garoppolo(2022)
RB Matt Breida(2019)
FB Kyle Juszcyzk(2020)
WR Pierre Garçon(2021)
WR Marquise Goodwin(2018)
WR Trent Taylor(2020)
TE George Kittle(2020)
TE Garrett Celek(2019)
LT Joe Staley(2019)
RT Trent Brown(2018)
DE Solomon Thomas(2020)
DE Arik Armstead(2018)
DE Elvis Dumervil(2018)
DT DeForest Buckner(2019)
DT Ronald Blair III(2019)
NT Earl Mitchell(2020)
NT D.J. Jones(2020)
OLB Malcolm Smith(2021)
OLB Dekoda Watson(2019)
OLB Pita Taumoepenu(2020)
ILB Reuben Foster(2020)
CB Ahkello Witherspoon(2020)
CB K'Waun Williams(2020)
FS Adrian Colbert(2020)
SS Jaquiski Tartt(2018)
PK Robbie Gould(2018)
P Bradley Pinion(2018)
LS Kyle Nelson(2018)

Next up are players signed, who could end up being part of the teams core for the foreseeable future, but we need to see improvement or more from them.

RB Joe Williams(2020)
WR Kendrick Bourne(2019)
WR Victor Bolden Jr.(2019)
C Daniel Kilgore(2020)
OG Joshua Garnett(2019)
OT Darrell Williams Jr.(2019)
OL Erik Magnuson(2019)
DE Cassius Marsh(2019)
OLB Mark Nzoecha(2018)
MLB Elijah Lee(2018)
FS Jimmie Ward(2018)

Next up are players under contract, who could end up being cut this offseason.

WR Aldrick Robinson: The 49ers would save $2.05 million if they were to cut him, with only a $150,000 dead money hit.

OG Laken Tomlinson: The 49ers would save his entire $1,600,944 salary if they cut him this offseason.

OG Zane Beadles: The 49ers would save $4.5 million if they were to cut him, while only carrying a $583,334 dead money hit.

OLB Eli Harold: The 49ers would save $1.905 million if they were to cut him, with only a $174,343 dead money hit.

SS Don Jones: The 49ers would save $975,000 if they were to cut him, with just a $125,000 dead money hit.

Now I know people must be asking, where is Jimmie Ward on here, well, until we know for sure he is healthy, I'm not listing him, as his $8.526 million salary is set to become fully guaranteed on March 14, at 4 PM ET/1PM PT.

Now let's take a look at the 49ers needs, and then the fits in both free agency, and the draft, in my eyes of course.

Note: I'm going in order of position, not in order of need.

Running Back: While I love Carlos Hyde, and still believe he fits Kyle Shanahan's offense, I also realize that the team does need a runner who can break off a big run. I also firmly believe in a 2-back system, which is why I'm still for re-signing Hyde, to have two different types of backs, as we know Shanahan doesn't use a 1 back system, evidence being his time as offensive coordinator in Atlanta, when he has Devonta Freeman, and Tevin Coleman.

Wide Receiver: While the 49ers clearly have a need for a true #1 receiver, they more so are in need of a tall receiver, as most of the receivers they have on the roster don't fit that mold.

Tight End: While I am a fan of both Kittle, and Celek, I think the 49ers need a more solid pass catching, and play maker at tight end.

Interior Offensive Lineman: The 49ers re-signed Daniel Kilgore to a 3-year, $11.775 million deal, but the deal doesn't guarantee him a starting spot, or a role in the future, as the deal is designed as a 1-2 year deal, with all of his fully guaranteed money coming in 2018, and just his 2019 base salary being guaranteed for injury, and then fully on April 1, 2019. Plus the 49ers had abysmal play at both guard spots.

Edge Rushers: The 49ers need to find someone who fits the mold of the LEO in their 4-3 defense, as well as a SAM linebacker who can consistently get to the quarterback, as we've seen for almost the last decade, the 49ers can't get consistent pressure on the opposing quarterbacks.

Linebacker: With a likely suspension coming for Reuben Foster, the 49ers should be looking at possible players that can fill in, whether in the draft or free agency. Also someone who can play both the MIKE and WILL linebacker spots. I do believe the 49ers will re-sign Brock Coyle, and while he wasn't great, he did a solid job in 2017 when needed.

Cornerback: The 49ers need a true #1 shut down cornerback. They are set with Ahkello Witherspoon, and K'Wuan Williams manning the outside, and slot roles, but we need someone opposite Witherspoon. I also am a firm believer that you can never have too many good corners.

Ok, so now that we've defined the 49ers biggest needs, let's take a look at the potential fits available in both free agency, and the 2018 draft.

We'll start off with free agency, as it begins on March 14th, with the legal tampering period beginning on March 12th.

Note: For free agency, I will not be listing the 49ers own pending free agents, as I do believe they will try and re-sign guys like Hyde, Brock Coyle, Garry Gillam, Brandon Fusco, and Tank Carradine, so basically the fits are free agents from other teams.

Running Backs:

Isaiah Crowell (Browns UFA) – Crowell is a guy Shanahan knows well, as he was there in Cleveland when the Browns picked him up in 2014. I see Crowell commanding in the $4 million a year range.

According to OverTheCap, Crowell's previous average per year, or known as APY, was $2.746 million.

Dion Lewis (Patriots UFA) – Lewis has speed, and explosiveness, and is a definite fit for what Kyle is looking for, and would be a good addition to the team's backfield. I see Lewis commanding in the $4 million a year range.

According to OverTheCap, Lewis's previous APY was $1.5 million.

Jerick Mckinnon (Vikings UFA) – As someone who subscribes to the NFL Sunday Ticket, I get to see a lot of Vikings games, as my dad is a huge Vikings fan, and I have to say, McKinnon fits the offense, he has an explosive burst, and always seems to be able to break one, plus he is a good pass catching back. I see McKinnon commanding in the $4 million, to $4.5 million a year range.

According to OverTheCap, McKinnon's previous APY was $691,250.

Frank Gore (Colts UFA) - I think I speak for just about every 49er fan when I say, Gore is a 49er for life, and I'd love to bring him back, that would be if the 49ers chose not to re-sign Hyde, as I see Hyde, and Gore being the same type of back, a bigger back, with power, who isn't going to break one, or have explosive speed, but gets the job done. I see Gore commanding in the $4 million a year range.

According to OverTheCap, Gore's previous APY was $3 million

Alfred Morris (Cowboys UFA) – I've seen a good amount of people on various 49er fan sites mocking Morris as a free agent pickup, he's definitely a guy I think could come in, and be a solid change of pace back. I see Morris commanding in the $3 million a year range.

According to OverTheCap, Morris's previous APY was $1.75 million.

Jeremy Hill (Bengals UFA) – Hill is another one of those backs that has speed, and explosivness that Kyle Shanahan is looking for. I can see Hill commanding $4 million a year.

According to OverTheCap, Hill's previous APY was $938,401.

Some other players the 49ers might look at include, Steelers UFA Stevan Ridley, Buccaneers UFA Charles Sims, Rams UFA Lance Dunbar, and Giants UFA Shane Vereen.

Wide Receivers:

Sammy Watkins (Rams UFA) – It appears as if the Rams won't be tagging Watkins, as the franchise tag number for a wide receiver is expected to be in the $16.2 million range, which should make Watkins one of, if not, the best receiver available when March 14th rolls around. Now obviously, this would be Watkins's 5th-year had the Bills exercised his option, but they didn't, which is a great thing for both the 49ers, who are in need a big, tall, play making wide receiver, and Watkins, who will now be able to get a big payday. I see him commanding in the $10 million, to $11 million a year range, but I can see him doing what Alshon Jeffrey did, and take a 1-year deal, and cash in during the 2018 season, or next offseason.

According to OverTheCap, Watkins's previous APY was $4,983,901.

Taylor Gabriel (Falcons UFA) – Now Gabriel doesn't necessarily fit that tall receiver mold, but he is a guy that Kyle Shanahan knows very well, as was a restricted free agent in the 2017 offseason, but now he is a scheduled unrestricted free agent, meaning the 49ers wouldn't have to give up a draft pick in order to sign him, as the Falcons tendered him at the 2nd-round level last offseason. Now Gabriel is a dynamic, fast, receiver, who fits in the slot, where Trent Taylor played in 2017. I see Gabriel commanding in the $6 million a year range.

According to OverTheCap, Gabriel's previous APY was $2.746 million.

Dontrelle Inman (Bears UFA) – Inman was acquired by the Bears at the trade deadline, from the Chargers, and showed solid chemistry with Mitchell Trubisky from the start, and I believe he would be a great addition to the 49ers receiving core, as he has the height, and the potential to be a play maker, especially with Jimmy Garoppolo at quarterback. I see Inman commanding in the $6 million a year range.

According to OverTheCap, Inman's previous APY was $2.746 million.

Albert Wilson (Chiefs UFA) – Now Wilson is another one of those smaller, slot type of receivers, listed at 5'9, and he saw his production grow from his rookie season in 2014, to 2017, and would be a great addition to the 49ers receiving core, as he is a young, up and coming player. I see Wilson commanding in the $4 million, to $5 million a year range.

According to OverTheCap, Wilson's previous APY was $1.797 million.

Allen Robinson (Jaguars UFA) – As of now, the Jaguars have not franchised Robinson, but it's possible they could, as they've declined options for a few players, and can easily make the needed cap room to tag Robinson. But if they don't, then Robinson should become the 49ers top target at wide receiver, despite the ACL tear this past season. Robinson obviously fits the mold, he's a taller receiver, has the speed to beat his defender, and the production, so he is by far, the best fit for the 49ers of all the free agent receivers, that is, if he isn't tagged. I see Robinson commanding in the $12 million, to $13 million a year range.

According to OverTheCap, Robinson's previous APY was $877,718.

Donte Moncrief (Colts UFA) – Moncrief has the size the 49ers are looking for, and would be a great addition to the 49ers receiving core, if they are unable to land one of the top receivers that should be available. Plus he shouldn't be as expensive as Robinson or Watkins will be. And it appears D.J. Jones, who went to Ole Miss, as did Moncrief, is campaigning for the 49ers to sign him. I see Moncrief commanding in the $7 million a year range.

According to OverTheCap, Moncrief's previous APY was $702,130.

John Brown (Cardinals UFA) – I believe Brown would be a great addition to the 49ers, while he isn't the tall receiver we're looking for, like with Gabriel, and Wilson, Brown could add some more dynamic to the 49ers offense, like Marquise Goodwin did, with his speed, and with Garoppolo at the helm. I see Brown commanding in the $5 million a year range.

According to OverTheCap, Brown's previous APY was $699,725.

Jaron Brown (Cardinals UFA) – Unlike the previous Brown, Jaron actually fits the mold of a big receiver, listed at around 6'2, Brown would be a good choice if the 49ers fail to land one of the big name free agents, plus Brown's numbers have went up over his 4-year career with the Cardinals. I see Brown commanding in the $6 million a year range.

According to OverTheCap, Brown's previous APY was $1.5 million.

Some other players the 49ers could consider include, Titans UFA Eric Decker, Bills UFA Jordan Matthews, Cowboys UFA Brice Butler, Jaguars UFA Marqise Lee, and Steelers UFA Justin Hunter.

As some can see, I didn't list Jarvis Landry of the Dolphins, as, he has already been tagged, and the likelihood is the Dolphins will try and deal him, so the 49ers would have to not only pay Landry a nice amount, but they'd have to give up draft picks to get him, plus he would also need to agree to the trade, as well as the contract extension.

Tight Ends:

Trey Burton (Eagles UFA) – Burton really became famous for what is being called the Philly Special from Super Bowl 52, and he looks like he is coming into his own as a play making, pass catching tight end, and would be an ideal fit with the 49ers. I see Burton commanding between $3.5 million, to $5 million a year.

According to OverTheCap, Burton's previous APY was $2.746 million.

Tyler Eifert (Bengals UFA) – Eifert is a big tight end, and I mean big, listed at 6'6, he would be a nightmare in coverage for opposing team's defenders. Plus he was highly regarded coming out of Notre Dame, and as an Irish fan, this is a guy I would love to see on the 49ers. He does have injury concerns, which could come into the 49ers favor when it comes to contract terms. I see Eifert commanding between $3.5 million, to $5 million a year.

According to OverTheCap, Eifert's previous APY was $2,607,600.

Virgil Green (Broncos UFA) – Green is another big tight end, listed at 6'5, but he seems to fit more as a blocking tight end, as he's never had more than 22 catches, and 237 receiving yards in any given season, plus only 4 receiving touchdowns in his career. I see Green commanding in the $3 million, to $4 million a year range.

According to OverTheCap, Green's previous APY was $2.8 million.

Niles Paul (Washington UFA) – Paul is a guy Kyle Shanahan is familiar with, and like with Green, Paul isn't the biggest receiving option, as he only has 2 career receiving touchdowns, has only had 68 catches in his 6-year career, and has two seasons of over 100 receiving yards. I see Paul commanding in the $3 million, to $4 million a year range.

According to OverTheCap, Paul's previous APY was $2 million.

Luke Willson (Seahawks UFA) – Willson is another big tight end, listed at 6'5, and interestingly enough, was a teammate of former 49ers 2013 2nd-round pick, Vance McDonald, who the 49ers traded last offseason. Now Willson is a definite receiving threat, and has been one of Russell Wilson's favorite targets. I see Willson commanding in the $3.5 million, to $5 million a year.

According to OverTheCap, Willson's previous APY was $1.8 million.

Some other players the 49ers could consider include, Cardinals UFA Troy Niklas, Dolphins UFA Anthony Fasano, and Packers UFA Richard Rodgers.

Centers:

Ryan Jensen (Ravens UFA) – Jensen is one of the top centers available, and yes the 49ers did extend Daniel Kilgore, but as I noted earlier, the 49ers can get out after the first year of the deal. As for Jensen, they could always bring him in, and move Kilgore over to one of the guard spots. Jensen will probably command $9 million a year, which is around what Alex Mack, and Justin Britt both got.

According to OverTheCap, Jensen's previous APY was $1.797 million.

Weston Richburg (Giants UFA) – Richburg is another guy who could command in that $9 million a year range, as he likely is one of the top 2 centers available, along side Ryan Jensen. And as with Jensen, the 49ers could move Kilgore to one of the guard spots, and have Richburg start at center.

According to OverTheCap, Richburg's previous APY was $1,213,337.

Other free agents the 49ers could consider are, Jets UFA Wesley Johnson, and Saints UFA Senio Kelemete.

Offensive Guards:

Andrew Norwell (Panthers UFA) – The Panthers are rumored to be closer to franchising their kicker Graham Gano, and not Norwell, but they do want Norwell back, and he is definitely looking at a hefty payday, likely at, or more than what Kevin Zeitler got, which was $12 million a year.

According to OverTheCap, Norwell's previous APY was $2.746 million.

Justin Pugh (Giants UFA) - While Pugh isn't the biggest fish out there in the free agent market at guard, I still see him commanding a nice payday, not nearly as much as what Norwell will get, but I wouldn't be shocked if he gets in the $10 million a year range.

According to OverTheCap, Pugh's previous APY was $3,433,380.

Joe Berger (Vikings UFA) – Now Berger isn't one of the biggest names available, but like I mentioned with Jerick McKinnon, I've seen a lot of the Vikings games the last 10 years, and Berger is a guy you can plug in, and he gives you the toughness, and nastiness that you are looking for from an offensive lineman. And as a plus, he has played both at Guard and Center.

According to OverTheCap, Berger's previous APY was $2.465 million.

Josh Kline (Titans UFA) – Kline is another one of those guards that isn't the biggest name on the market, but should command a good payday, and like with Justin Pugh, I can see Kline getting $10 million a year.

According to OverTheCap, Kline's previous APY was $1.65 million.

Other players the 49ers may consider are, Giants UFA John Greco, Chargers UFA Matt Slauson, and Ravens UFA James Hurst.

Oh, don't forget that both Marcus Martin, and Jordan Devey are free agents, and well, they could be good….. ok, I'm kidding, I just needed to add a little laughter to this
article, please don't kill me for that, I just found it hilarious that both are unrestricted free agents, and now back to our regularly scheduled program.

Edge Rushers:

Ezekiel Ansash (Lions UFA) – If the Lions don't franchise Ansah, he should be the 49ers top target at edge rusher to play the LEO spot. Ansah is one of the most dynamic, and explosive defensive ends in the NFL, and he should command top dollar, likely in the $10 million, to $12 million a year range. Now there is a possibility he takes a shorter term deal if the market ends up being lukewarm, kind of like what Alshon Jeffrey did, and then cashes in during the 2018 season, or in the 2019 offseason.

According to OverTheCap, Ansah's previous APY was $6,625,700.

Adrian Clayborn (Falcons UFA) – Clayborn is another player who fits the LEO edge rushing position, and I believe would be a great alternative for the 49ers, if Ansah is not available, or isn't signed. I see Clayborn commanding somewhere in the $8 million, to $10 million a year range.

According to OverTheCap, Clayborn's previous APY was $4.25 million.

Alek Okafor (Saints UFA) – Okafor, also fits in at the LEO spot, but also as a potential SAM linebacker. And he could be a guy the 49ers target, as he was a Cardinal from 2013-2016. With the fact that he can fit as a LEO or SAM linebacker, his market may vary a bit, I doubt he gets what Ansah, or a Demarcus Lawrence end up getting, but I wouldn't be surprised to see him command in the $8 million a year range.

According to OverTheCap, Okafor's previous APY was $2 million.

Connor Barwin (Rams UFA) – Barwin is a veteran, who has shown he can be a legitimate pass rushing threat over the years, whether it was with the Rams, Saints, or Texans, as he has 55.5 sacks in his career. Now Barwin isn't getting any younger, so I don't expect his market to be anywhere near what the above 4 players will be, but I can definitely see Barwin getting $6 million a year. Plus I feel he fits both the LEO, and SAM linebacker spots.

According to OverTheCap, Barwin's previous APY was $3.5 million.

Jeremiah Attaochu (Chargers UFA) – Attaochu is a guy I feel fits as a SAM linebacker, and while he doesn't have the numbers, yet, with only 10 career sacks, he may just be a fit in the 49ers defensive scheme. He's an up and coming edge rusher, and someone the 49ers should look into. I feel Attaochu will command somewhere in the $5 million, to $6 million a year range.

According to OverTheCap, Attaochu's previous APY was $1,050,775.

Other players the 49ers could target include, Steelers UFA Arthur Moats, Washington UFA Trent Murphy, Bears UFA Sam Acho, Falcons UFA Courtney Upshaw, and Browns UFA Lavar Edwards.

As you can see, I purposely left off Demarcus Lawrence as a target, as the Cowboys will most certainly franchise him, thus he will be off the market, unless the 49ers want to give up both their 2018, and 2019 1st-round picks to secure him, plus him commanding more than what any other available edge rusher will command.

Linebackers:

Nigel Bradham (Eagles UFA) – Bradham has the size to play either the MIKE or WILL linebacker spot, and has been highly productive over his 6-year career. He's also proven to be a solid cover linebacker, which is something the 49ers would want at the MLB or WLB spot. I can see Bradham commanding $4 million a year.

According to OverTheCap, Bradham's previous APY was $3.5 million.

Tahir Whitehead (Lions UFA) – Whitehead, like Bradham, has the size to play either MLB, or WLB foor the 49ers, and he has also been highly productive during his 6-year career. He has also shown to be a solid cover linebacker. I can see Whitehead commanding $4.5 million, to $5 million a year.

According to OverTheCap, Whitehead's previous APY was $4 million.

Paul Worrilow (Lions UFA) – Worrilow isn't the tallest linebacker, but he's been very productive in his 5-year career, and seems to be an up and coming linebacker. I can see Worrilow commanding $3.5 million, to $4 million a year.

According to OverTheCap, Worrilow's previous APY was $3 million.

Kevin Minter (Bengals UFA) – Minter, has the overall size to play in the 49ers 4-3 system, and over his 5-year career, he's been very productive, but he only played in 9 games this past season, after previously playing in 61 games his previous 4 seasons. I can see Minter commanding $4.5 million a year.

According to OverTheCap, Minter's previous APY was $4.25 million.

Demario Davis (Jets UFA) – Davis also has the ideal size that the 49ers should be looking for at the MLB and WLB spots, and he's been highly productive, as he's seen his numbers grow just about every year, he's played in every games over his 6-year career, and shown to be a good cover linebacker. I can see Davis commanding $5 million a year.

According to OverTheCap, Davis's previous APY was $1 million.

Other players I can see the 49ers considering include, Dolphins FA Rey Maualuga, Eagles UFA Dannell Ellerbe, Eagles UFA Najee Goode, Giants UFA Keenan Robinson, Giants UFA Jonathan Casillas, and Washington UFA Zach Brown.

Cornerbacks:

Trumaine Johnson (Rams UFA) – With the pending trade for Marcus Peters, the Rams will now not be franchising Johnson, so he should be available, and he is should the
guy the 49ers are targeting as a shut down cornerback, to go opposite Ahkello Witherspoon. But it won't be cheap, I expect Johnson to command around $13 million, to $15 million a year, which is in the range of what A.J. Bouye, Stephon Gilmore, Desmond Trufant, Richard Sherman, Patrick Peterson, Xavier Rhodes, and Josh Norman got.

According to OverTheCap, Johnson's previous APY was $16,742,400, which was his franchise tag number a year ago.

Malcolm Butler (Patriots UFA) – Now we've already seen several 49ers campaigning for them to sign Butler, including Pierre Garçon. Now yes, he has not had the best time since his Super Bowl clinching interception, that helped the Patriots beat the Seahawks in Super Bowl 49, but there is no denying that Butler has the talent to be a shut down #1 cornerback. I see Butler commanding less than what Johnson will want, somewhere in the $10 million a year range.

According to OverTheCap, Butler's previous APY was $3.91 million.

Kyle Fuller (Bears UFA) – Fuller has come on in recent seasons to be a solid cornerback for the Bears, and reports say that the Bears don't plan on re-signing Fuller, so he should be available once free agency opens up. He has the talent, and makings of being the guy the 49ers need opposite Witherspoon. I see Fuller commanding somewhere in the $10 million, to $12 million a year range.

According to OverTheCap, Fuller's previous APY was $2,421,750.

Aaron Colvin (Jaguars UFA) – Reports suggest that the Jaguars won't be re-signing Colvin this offseason, so if the 49ers strike out on the bigger name free agents, Colvin makes a lot of sense. He really has come on in recent seasons, and like others mentioned, he has the makings of being a shut down cornerback. I see Colvin commanding somewhere in the $8 million, to $10 million a year range.

According to OverTheCap, Colvin's previous APY was $668,288.

Rashaan Melvin (Colts UFA) – Here's another player that isn't talked up as one of the top cornerbacks on the market this offseason, but Melvin has come on to be a solid cornerback, and would be a great fit opposite Witherspoon. I see Melvin commanding somewhere in the $8 million, to $10 million a year range.

According to OverTheCap, Melvin's previous APY was $725,000

E.J. Gaines (Bills UFA) – Like with Colvin, and Melvin, Gaines is a guy who isn't regarded as one of the top cornerbacks available, but as with those 2 I mentioned, he has the makings of being a really solid cornerback opposite Witherspoon, and is someone the 49ers need to look at if they don't get one of the top cornerbacks available. I see Gaines also commanding $8 million, to $10 million a year.

According to OverTheCap, Gaines's previous APY was $581,918.

Davon House (Packers UFA) – House is an up and coming player, who would be a great compliment to Witherspoon. He's someone who is also not highly regarded as one of the top cornerbacks on the open market, and I can see House commanding in the $8 million a year range.

According to OverTheCap, House's previous APY was $2.8 million.

Other players the 49ers may consider include, Buccaneers UFA Brent Grimes, Bears UFA Prince Amukamara, Texans UFA Johnathan Joseph, and Jets UFA Morris Claiborne.

Now let's take a look at the players available in this year draft class, that would make sense for the 49er, in my opinion of course.

Quarterbacks(Developmental QB):

Riley Ferguson, Memphis
Brandon Silvers, Troy
Kurt Benkert, Virginia
Luis Perez, Texas A&M-Commerce
Jeremiah Briscoe, Sam Houston State
Kyle Lauletta, Richmond
Matt Linehan, Idaho

Running Backs:

Saquon Barkley, Penn State
Derrius Guice, LSU
Ronald Jones II, USC
Akrum Wadley, Iowa
Sony Michel, Georgia
Rashaad Penny, San Diego State
Nick Chubb, Georgia
Josh Adams, Notre Dame
Ito Smith, Southern Miss
Chase Edmonds, Fordham
Kalen Ballage, Arizona State
Mark Walton Jr., Miami(Fla.)
John Kelly, Tennessee
Kerryon Johnson, Auburn

Wide Receivers:

Calvin Ridley, Alabama
Equanimeous St. Brown, Notre Dame
Courtland Sutton, SMU
Christian Kirk, Texas A&M
Anthony Miller, Memphis
D.J. Moore, Maryland
Keke Coutee, Texas Tech
James Washington, Oklahoma State
Deon Cain, Clemson
Dante Pettis, Washington
Auden Tate, Florida State
Jaleel Scott, New Mexico State
Allen Lazard, Iowa State
Jordan Lasley, UCLA
Marcell Ateman, Oklahoma State
Deontay Burnett, USC
Jake Wieneke, South Dakota State
Antonio Callaway, Florida
Tre'Quan Smith, UCF
Michael Gallup, Colorado State
Cedrick Wilson, Boise State
J'Mon Moore, Missouri
DaeSean Hamilton, Penn State

Tight Ends:

Mark Andrews, Oklahoma
Dallas Goedert, South Dakota State
Mike Gesicki, Penn State
Troy Fumagalli, Wisconsin
Adam Breneman, UMASS
Cam Serigne, Wake Forest
Ryan Izzo, Florida State
Jordan Akins, UCF
David Wells, San Diego State
Dalton Schultz, Stanford
Jake Roh, Boise State
Hayden Hurst, South Carolina

Centers:

Billy Price, Ohio State
James Daniels, Iowa
William Clapp, LSU
Frank Ragnow, Arkansas

Offensive Guards:

Quenton Nelson, Notre Dame
Isaiah Wynn, Georgia
Taylor Hearn, Clemson
Will Hernandez, UTEP
Wyatt Teller, Virginia Tech
Sam Jones, Arizona State
Cody O'Connell, Washington State
Brian Allen, Michigan State
Braden Smith, Auburn

Offensive Tackles:

Connor Williams, Texas
Mike McGlinchey, Notre Dame
Chukwuma Okorafor, Western Michigan
Orlando Brown, Oklahoma
Kolton Miller, UCLA
Brian O'Neill, Pittsburgh
Martinas Rankin, Mississippi State
Geron Christian, Louisville
Tyrell Crosby, Oregon
Brandon Parker, N.C. A&T
Jamarco Jones, Ohio State
Timon Parris, Stony Brook
Alex Cappa, Humboldt State

Defensive Ends(LEO Spot):

Arden Key, LSU
Harold Landry, Boston College
Bradley Chubb, N.C. State
Marcus Davenport, UTSA
Hercules Mata'afa, Washington State
Sam Hubbard, Ohio State
Duke Ejiofor, Wake Forest
Tyquan Lewis, Ohio State
JoJo Wicker, Arizona State
Dorance Armstrong Jr., Kansas
Marcell Frazier, Missouri
JaVon Rolland-Jones, Arkansas State
Marcus Martin, Slippery Rock
Jalyn Holmes, Ohio State
Ebenezer Ogundeko, Tennessee State
Joe Ostman, Central Michigan
Justin Lawler, SMU
Chad Thomas, Miami(Fla.)

Outside Linebackers(SAM LB spot):

Tremaine Edmunds, Virginia Tech
Josh Sweat, Florida State
Ogbonnia Okoronkwo, Oklahoma
Leighton Vander Esch, Boise State
Marquis Haynes, Ole Miss
Jeff Holland, Auburn
Uchenna Nwosu, USC
Jacob Pugh, Florida State
Lorenzo Carter, Georgia
James Hearns, Louisville

Inside Linebackers(MIKE & WILL spots):

Roquan Smith, Georgia
Rashaan Evans, Alabama
Malik Jefferson, Texas
Josey Jewell, Iowa
Shaun Dion Hamilton, Alabama
Micah Kiser, Virginia
Andre Smith, North Carolina
Jason Cabinda, Penn State
Kenny Young, UCLA
Chris Worley, Ohio State
Nick DeLuca, North Dakota State
Carter Henderson, Duquesne
Shaquem Griffin, UCF

Cornerbacks:

Minkah Fitzpatrick, Alabama
Denzel Ward, Ohio State
Tarvarus McFadden, Florida State
Joshua Jackson, Iowa
Isaiah Oliver, Colorado
Carlton Davis, Auburn
Donte Jackson, LSU
Jaire Alexander, Louisville
Quenton Meeks, Stanford
Mike Hughes, UCF
Kevin Toliver II, LSU
Duke Dawson, Florida
Michael Joseph, Dubuque
Taron Johnson, Weber State
Danny Johnson, Southern
Deion Harris, North Dakota
Rashard Fant, Indiana
Heath Harding, Miami(Ohio)
M.J. Stewart, North Carolina
Greg Stroman, Virginia Tech
Holton Hill, Texas
Joshua Kalu, Nebraska
Darius Phillips, Western Michigan
Siran Neal, Jacksonville State
Braylyn Cook, Morehead State
Deatrick Nichols, South Florida
Brandon Facyson, Virginia Tech
Tyneil Cooper, Dixie State

k
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
Wow Beadles is goner if the team can save that much. Then again, Beadles can play every position on the O-line so they just might keep him around.
Originally posted by Kolohe:
Wow Beadles is goner if the team can save that much. Then again, Beadles can play every position on the O-line so they just might keep him around.

Just because he can play any position doesn't mean he is any good at any of those spots on the offensive line. Need to cut the bum, hope a FA or a rookie beats him out if we do decide to keep his mediocre ass around.
Originally posted by dtg_9er:

AB...any thoughts on making fewer cuts so the niners use the appropriate level of cap dollars? I believe they need to reach a specific percentage and making cuts to clear cut space may make that more difficult should they fail to sign enough free agents.

The 89% is in cash, not cap value, so take for instance, Garoppolo, he got a $28M Roster Bonus, and $7M signing bonus upfront, that all counts as cash spent for the 2018 season.

Also the 89% is over a 4yr period, 2017-2020, and it's 89% of all the salary cap limits combined(unadjusted, so carryover doesn't count).
Originally posted by dtg_9er:
AB...just wondering which players you, and others, see as elite at the top of this draft. My thought is that the 9ers will identify a number of guys they would jump on at #9 and if they are gone, trade back.

My list would include:
OG Nelson--not necessary to take an interior OL this high but...is he that good? Might be.
LB R Smith--a knack for attacking with speed and tenacity.
DL Chubb--edge is the most difficult position to fill after FQB.

Second level guys who would be fine at #9--(but could you drop back and get the same value?):
DB Fitzpatrick--is he a lockdown CB or an elite safety? Or...?
DB Ward--lockdown or just good?
Edge Davenport--coming up the boards fast.
S James--would be fine at #9 but...after three safeties in the past few years...fans would be sad.
CB Jackson--lockdown?

Guys I don't see the niners taking:
RB Barkley
QBs--any
DTs--any...but would a guy like Vea be a game changer?

My favorite idea, fill needs with FAs, drop back and take Shanahan's favorite WR:
Sutton
Washington
Ateman
Gallup
Ridley

I have about 12 guys I think are pro bowl or all pro players.

QB Rosen (UCLA)
QB Allen (Wyoming)
RB Barkley (PSU)
OG Nelson (Notre Dame)
DE Chubb (NC State)
DE Key (LSU)
DE Landry (BC)
OLB Edmunds (VT)
ILB Smith (UGA)
CB Fitzpatrick (Alabama)
CB Ward (OSU)
S James (FSU)

after that, I think these 54 players have the potential to be day 1 starters, long term starters, pro bowl or all pro players, basically my 2nd tier guys, and I know 54 is a lot, but i feel this years class is deep in many positions.

QB Jackson (Louisville)
QB Rudolph (OK State)
QB Falk(Washington State)
RB Guice (LSU)
RB Jones II (USC)
RB Wadley (Iowa)
RB Michel (UGA)
RB Johnson (Auburn)
WR Ridley (Alabama)
WR St. Brown (Notre Dame)
WR Sutton (SMU)
WR Kirk (Texas A&M)