LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 291 users in the forums

Will this be the first winless team in 49er history?

Shop Find 49ers gear online

Will this be the first winless team in 49er history?

• Rascal
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Goatie:
Comparing this year with last year is not realistic. Chip had no say in personnel and I would imaging little power with Baalkie lurking behind him at every step as the flawed control freak he was.
Why is it not realistic? If Chip Kelly with so much more constraints under Baalke could still achieve 2 wins then shouldn't it be much easier for Shanny?
Originally posted by HERN:
Originally posted by jcs:
It would be one thing if he inherited this roster and forced to play it like Chip but over 65% of the 53 man roster are his guys...

You're right.

Also keep in mind that we have no QB.

Don't forget to mention that out of the 53, 17 of those players are rookies. Yes, they are Shanahan players but let's be realistic...

And the injuries.
  • Goatie
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Rascal:
Originally posted by Goatie:
Comparing this year with last year is not realistic. Chip had no say in personnel and I would imaging little power with Baalkie lurking behind him at every step as the flawed control freak he was.
Why is it not realistic? If Chip Kelly with so much more constraints under Baalke could still achieve 2 wins then shouldn't it be much easier for Shanny?

Well Chip's two wins were against the same team and the Rams last year are not the Rams this year.

Second, all but 16 players from last year were new to the roster. The roster Chip got was almost the same as the year before with the same QBs, same RBs, etc. You aren't going to get a team that is 2/3s new like this year to be able to win straight away particularly as the injuries pile up through the season.

With that said only two games this year have been blow outs. 5 have been loses by less than 3 points.

The five close games show that Shanahan is not so far off the mark and it is coming down to fine tuning and building depth for when the injuries start rolling in (which is normal).

I don't know if you have noticed or not but under KS the team looks more organised and is making more intelligent plays.

Under Tomsula there was little passing game and he over relied on RBs barging through the centre all the time again and again and again until they broke. There was no imagination under him or Chryst. Tomsula was living on a dwindling momentum from Harbaugh.

Chip's plays never lived up to the hype and other teams were all over them after the first quarter plus they were inconsistent.

Both under Tomsula and Chip neither Kap nor Gabbert could get a consistent passing game happening. Neither had accuracy over 15 yards and Kap could only throw at cruise missile pace every time which made it hard for receivers to catch. Gabbert could lob the occasional long through but was mainly good at throwing them into the grass and making dumb decisions.

This year we can mix it up with running and passing. CJ can land accurate passes most of the time but is being let down a lot by receivers. The fundamentals in the plays are there but they players have to sharpen it up to capitalise on the more intelligent plays. That will only come with time. When the bugs are ironed our the Shanahan/Lynch era will work fine and is showing more potential now then Tomsula and Chip ever did.
[ Edited by Goatie on Nov 6, 2017 at 6:08 AM ]
hope so
No, I imagine we'll find a way to win at least one. Though luck has been anything but on our side for every game this year.
Originally posted by OnTheClock:
No, I imagine we'll find a way to win at least one. Though luck has been anything but on our side for every game this year.

if we're lucky then we'll hopefully lose.
Have you guys looked at the IR list? We have a pretty decent team....on IR! This has the feeling of 0-16, but who knows, maybe we sign someone off the street who doesn't suck, or this O=line gets their crap together....odds are long, but anything is possible!

Go Niners!
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by GolittaCamper:
Have you guys looked at the IR list? We have a pretty decent team....on IR! This has the feeling of 0-16, but who knows, maybe we sign someone off the street who doesn't suck, or this O=line gets their crap together....odds are long, but anything is possible!

Go Niners!
we do not have a decent team no matter injuries.. its like i have always said with this team... and this after fans breathlessly predict victory over a cardinal team that is allegedly trending down. our team will always find ways to lose cuz they have a losing mentality. our team will always lose to below average teams by ten and elite teams by 20 to 30 points. this team is what they were before the injury excuse
As the old saying goes, don't quit your job before you find a new one.

I know this was a rebuild year, but we fired way too many Vets before having legit replacements. We have less talent than an expansion team. With all the cap space there was no reason to get rid of proven players like Brooks, Bowman, V.McDonald, Bethea and several others. It blows my mind that a week or two after getting rid of Bowman we had Reid playing WLB....

I understand the "future" argument, but you still have a paying fan base that deserves better. How would the York's feel if all fans decided to withhold current season ticket payments because its better for their future bank accounts?
it's all about playing time for the younger players now , might as well bring the practice squad players up and let em all play

At least we are not as dysfunctional as the Browns.
Originally posted by TheRealGM:
Originally posted by TheRealGM:
Originally posted by 5Jan2003:
If we do go 0-16 Shanny sould resign.
I'm just not getting any kind of a head coach vibe from this guy, injuries or no injuries, and that act would be the first hint of passion I've seen from him.
He really is far less than what I'd hoped.

You do realize that we pretty much gutted our entire roster and hit the reset button right? Even the moves we made in the offseason were pretty much to get capable bodies who can potentially be functionable. I'm in no way holding this season against Shanahan whatsoever. You wanna blame somebody blame Baalke for turning this team into a s**t show.

"We" meaning Lynch and Shanahan gutted the roster, not anybody else. In other words, they didn't like Baalke's players? No problem, they had full freedom to replace them with the players they wanted. Then, you add on Shanny being the offensive genius that he is, there is ZERO reason why we should go winless!! That would be worse than Tomsula and Chip Kelly. It would be totally unacceptable!

I had initially penciled down for 4 wins, i.e. just 2 wins more than Chip Kelly last year, but boy did I over-estimate Shanny or did I over-estimate Shanny? It ain't going to happen. It would be a miracle if we could just match last's year's 2 wins, oh and that is if we play Garoppolo perhaps? With Beathard? No chance!
Yeah because in one offseason we can replace all the garbage douce baalke littered our team with and now we are suppose to be top 10 on offense with our players now? most of the players shanahan brought on were just bodies to fill the roster with. Theres no way in hell we can fix all the garbage baalke did to our team in one off season. Baalke had over 60 picks and scrub a$$ free agents on this team that contributed absolutely nothing. Plus he had like two drafts that are completely wiped out the roster. NObody can win with that. NOBODY.

Chip Kelly did.

To add, he had zero say in personnel and had to take whatever Baalke gave him and he still managed 2 wins.

Oh ok didn't know two wins were considered progress to you lmaooo. There's no difference between 1-2 and 0 wins. Plus chip only had one win until the last game of the season so that doesn't say anything. To compare this to chip is laughable especially considering we had to gut the roster. The difference between 0 And 2 wins is the 1st pick or the 7th pick. Just look at last years deaft
Originally posted by defenderDX:
Originally posted by OnTheClock:

if we're lucky then we'll hopefully lose.

Giants, Bears, Texans. Circling those games on the calendar right now. Unlike some fans, I don't want to go 0-16. I want at least one win, even if it costs us the #1 pick. More trade partners at #2 anyway probably.
Originally posted by NeeJ49er:
it's all about playing time for the younger players now , might as well bring the practice squad players up and let em all play

I disagree with this logic. 99 percent of practice squad players will never become NFL caliber starters. You bring up or promote players as they "earn it." That goes for 2nd and 3rd string too. Just because you have a body at that position doesn't mean you have a future NFL caliber starter. And you should never fire a legit starter just so some guy on the roster can get more playing time because you HOPE he'll be good in the future. That's what practice is for. You only promote bench warmers only when they prove to be so good in practice and spot playing time that you can't justify keeping them off the field. I've never seen so many late round picks getting immediate playing time and our record reflects that.
  • jcs
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Oakland-Niner:
Originally posted by NeeJ49er:

I disagree with this logic. 99 percent of practice squad players will never become NFL caliber starters. You bring up or promote players as they "earn it." That goes for 2nd and 3rd string too. Just because you have a body at that position doesn't mean you have a future NFL caliber starter. And you should never fire a legit starter just so some guy on the roster can get more playing time because you HOPE he'll be good in the future. That's what practice is for. You only promote bench warmers only when they prove to be so good in practice and spot playing time that you can't justify keeping them off the field. I've never seen so many late round picks getting immediate playing time and our record reflects that.
Inexperience as a HC played a role in this...
Share 49ersWebzone