LISTEN: 49ers Offseason Musings With Legendary Columnist Mike Silver →

There are 145 users in the forums

Coaches Film Analysis: 2017 Season

Shop Find 49ers gear online
  • thl408
Originally posted by Heroism:
thl, question: is that first play an inside zone? That looks like an iso to me.

Does look like Iso doesn't it? Good catch. I'll defer to you on trench play. What should I be looking for to differentiate? I guess inside zone all the OL take a step to the play side?
Damn, it seems like DJ is playing man on every play leaving FS and Rashard to cover deep.

Way too many receivers open deep all day.
Understandable to call IZ since C/G combo works up to the backside LB.

Trent Brown is hooking down and Staley hooking his guy in the other direction with Juice playing Moses through the parted sea to the isolated LB told me iso.

and don't defer to me.
[ Edited by Heroism on Sep 13, 2017 at 2:32 PM ]
Originally posted by NYniner85:

Here's an example of the front 7 saving our secondaries ass.

This is the play where Buckner almost went Reid on Bowman's knee.
So did anyone else shed a tear with the fact that formation variations have come back

This was just a sample from the first quarter....I'm not sure we ran 7 different formations all of last year.
I'll shed a tear when this formation comes back.

Seems like spilt will only be used shotgun nowadays. I love me some horizontal stacks formations though. Give split, near and far (or I guess in Walsh terms Red, Brown and Blue)

Can the ghost of pat summerall and john madden call our game this sunday?

Speaking of which who is calling it?
  • thl408
Originally posted by Niners816:
So did anyone else shed a tear with the fact that formation variations have come back
This was just a sample from the first quarter....I'm not sure we ran 7 different formations all of last year.
Some of these look illegal
Originally posted by thl408:
Some of these look illegal

I might have snapped some of the pics during motion

From happy to to
  • thl408
This is from the 49ers' first drive. So Kyle likes to use motion to give his QB some prensnap intel on the coverage. Is it as easy as just motioning a guy across the formation, and just like that, the QB knows man or zone? Seems too easy. Defenses have tricks too.

Trent Taylor will motion and a defender will follow him across the formation. That signals man coverage.

Levels to the right + Switch Verticals (orange + green) to the left vs Man coverage?

CAR backs up to reveal Cover 2 Zone, not man coverage.

Levels concept will bust Cover 2 Zone all day. Red route and yellow route work to vertically stretch the hook/curl defender (red).

Originally posted by Luckycharms:
First off thank you THL and JD as always, the best thread on the internet. Anyhow, I was reading one of the beat writers twitter (forget which one) and he said it looked like Goodwin was open deep quite a few times but Hoyer didn't look his way/didn't have time to throw. Did you see the same thing? I would love to see that deep connection a few times a game or atleast some more attempts.
Lucky, check this play here as Goodwin (#11) sees the seam down the middle of the field and hits it. I can't blame Hoyer for seeing Cover2, and immediately looking to Levels. Had Hoyer stayed looking to his left, maybe he sees Goodwin's route develop. Sometimes a QB just has to make the safer, quicker play.
Originally posted by SmokeCrabtrees:

Oh please don't let it be Spielman again.
Great NFL player
Annoying announcer (IMO)
Originally posted by Sourball:
Originally posted by SmokeCrabtrees:

Oh please don't let it be Spielman again.
Great NFL player
Annoying announcer (IMO)

It's Sam Rosen and David Diehl... The FOX Sports D-Team.
We're basically getting these guys or Spielman every week, I would imagine.
Originally posted by Hysterikal:
Originally posted by thl408:

Can't take my eyes off our top draft pick getting destroyed in the middle 1 on 1
Funny. I see him dominating an all pro center. Cam went right, he stopped it. cam went left, he stopped it. Then cam went back to the right.

Jonny or thl can talk more about the stunt if they like, but i see the LE( i cant see who it is), buckner, and thomas going contain with buckner trying to carry the LG so AA can get a clean path.

The LG does not fall for it and picks up the stunt. If it is a carson palmer or some other statue then you dont have focus on containment. But cam is not a statue.
Share 49ersWebzone