LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 319 users in the forums

Coaches Film Analysis: 2017 Season

Shop Find 49ers gear online
thank f**king god for this thread
Here was, IMO the biggest missed opportunity in the game. It's so crucial because it was in OT, down in the red zone.

Here, we're going to run a trail+china concept. We'll have the two short in routes plus the fade. The idea with the fade is to get a rub on the slot defender and free up T. Taylor. So, we're trying to get it to him in man-coverage. Which the Cards show with their press coverage, P. Peterson is on Garcon and Mathieu is on Taylor.

The cards anticipate this and their players all react to Taylor. This is when Hoyer has to recognize this and realize how the defense is reacting.

Here's the key frame. Hoyer is staring down Taylor, so he's looking that direction, and 3 defenders are on Taylor - that means someone else is open over there, Hoyer!!!

Celek is wide open, he lets this go towards the sideline and it's a walk in TD....

This makes my heart hurt.... Celek even anticipates being led to the sideline as he turns and is looking over his outside shoulder. However, Hoyer moves on to find another receiver....

He ends up finding Hyde for 7 yards. But....it coulda been game over...

Originally posted by jonnydel:
Here was, IMO the biggest missed opportunity in the game. It's so crucial because it was in OT, down in the red zone.

He ends up finding Hyde for 7 yards. But....it coulda been game over...

Truly heartbreaking. And maddening at the same time. He had an amazing pocket with tons of time. We need to look at this on film and run this concept again with Hoyer hitting the guy at the Pylon next time.
  • thl408
Definitely some sort of mix up on that play. No way should 3 defenders react to a short In route. Huge missed opportunity to end the game in dramatic fashion. We could all be happy 49er fans for this week, but Hoyer had to go and make sure we can't have nice things - like a W. And even when he found Hyde, he threw it behind Hyde and force Hyde to turn back for the catch. If he hits Hyde on stride, Hyde's got a chance.
If he saw three players jump Taylor's route, why didn't he think someone will be open to that side if he knew the tight end was running to that side?
  • Antix
  • Veteran
Ugh...
  • thl408
I posted this in the other post game thread, but it should go in here too. This is later in that OT drive, the 3rd down play.

This play I had to see on all22 to see why Hoyer threw it away with a chance to win it in OT.

3rd & 5
Snag vs Cover 1. The progression on the combination could be Corner-Snag-Flat, but because on this play the Flat route is coming from the slot (and not the backfield), the progression on this play is Corner-Flat-Snag. Making the Flat third in the progression would lead to him running out of bounds by the time it's the third read.

ARI will pattern match. Garcon starts his crosser. Red CB makes the 'Under' call and puts Yellow on alert to pick up Garcon, then Red sags to find work.

Read 1: the Corner. Red has outside leverage, will match and defeat the Corner route.

Read 2:The Flat route has no separation.

Hoyer throws it away without giving Garcon a try - with open space to work a Pivot route. It would have taken an anticipation throw.

And he didn't take the sack. Needed to run clock.

Garcon pushing off to get separation on the LB.

They put a TE to 1v1 a DE. That DE ended up pressuring.

I thought Bow played his best game. It looked like they moved him to the "WILL" in passing situations because of Ray Ray's mistakes.

Was saying this in another thread after the usual "Bowman sucks" routine.

Give the guy time to recover. Give the team time to build. One will enjoy 49er football a lot more.
  • thl408
Originally posted by northoakland510:
If he saw three players jump Taylor's route, why didn't he think someone will be open to that side if he knew the tight end was running to that side?

I thought maybe his view was blocked, but from the end zone camera the pocket looked great. He just flat out missed Celek.
Originally posted by thl408:
I posted this in the other post game thread, but it should go in here too. This is later in that OT drive, the 3rd down play.

This play I had to see on all22 to see why Hoyer threw it away with a chance to win it in OT.

3rd & 5
Snag vs Cover 1. The progression on the combination could be Corner-Snag-Flat, but because on this play the Flat route is coming from the slot (and not the backfield), the progression on this play is Corner-Flat-Snag. Making the Flat third in the progression would lead to him running out of bounds by the time it's the third read.

ARI will pattern match. Garcon starts his crosser. Red CB makes the 'Under' call and puts Yellow on alert to pick up Garcon, then Red sags to find work.

Read 1: the Corner. Red has outside leverage, will match and defeat the Corner route.

Read 2:The Flat route has no separation.

Hoyer throws it away without giving Garcon a try - with open space to work a Pivot route. It would have taken an anticipation throw.

And he didn't take the sack. Needed to run clock.

Garcon pushing off to get separation on the LB.

They put a TE to 1v1 a DE. That DE ended up pressuring.

Hoyer is scared to make the throws.

I thought maybe his view was blocked, but from the end zone camera the pocket looked great. He just flat out missed Celek.

Man it doesn't get any cleaner than that. I thought he is supposed to know this playbook? He should be able to anticipate the routes better.
  • Antix
  • Veteran
No reason not to attempt the pass to Garcon. Hoyer is the most scaredy cat QB I can think of.
  • thl408
Well, nobody likes a loss, especially when it's a close one that you get emotionally invested in. Overall, it was a rough game on both sides. We had an opportunity to steal on in the desert from a team that was down some O-lineman and we just had too many self inflicted wounds.

It was one of those games where you can't really put blame on one or two players or one or two plays. When you get down into the 11 yard line then have an unnecessary penalty on a TD pass followed by a sack and you have 2nd and 30 from the 31 you're not doing yourself any favors.

I will say when you have widespread fails you have to lay the blame at the feet of the coach. However, that doesn't mean Shanahan is unqualified or isn't building good things or isn't the right guy. Just means he's learning and we have a young/talent depleted team. The drops raised their ugly head once again.

Upon further review, I don't think Hoyer had as bad of a game as I thought he did after watching it live. Though, he missed some HUGE opportunities in the game, one in OT that would've sealed the game. But, you can't cry over spilled milk.

Offense:
OL - I thought the O-line played well for the most part. They were facing a tenacious like again and were up and down in the run game but held up well considering the amount of pressure ARI likes to bring in the passing game.

WR - We missed Goodwin after he went out and A. Robinson was up and down. He made some nice plays but we really need a dependable #1 or #2 receiver. P. Peterson blanketed Garcon most of the game and with Goodwin down it was up to Robinson to make some plays and he made some and didn't make others.

RB - You could see a difference in talent when Hyde was on the field. He's one of those upper echelon talents who I would put up with Ezekiel Elliot or Gurley as far as running talent. There were some plays where he got 4 yards when there didn't look like any to be had.

Defense:
Overall I thought they played well. Though, when you're playing a team down 3 lineman you should look decent. Though, ARI has some weapons in the passing game.

I thought Bow played his best game. It looked like they moved him to the "WILL" in passing situations because of Ray Ray's mistakes. I thought Ward played a poor game. He didn't hold up in man-coverage when tasked for that and gave up the game winning TD. The TD I'll give him that he missed all of TC, but that's what I was worried about when he missed all that time. He's playing a new position in a new defense and that play showed it.

Anyway, on to some breakdowns. I'll throw a couple up but then won't have any until this evening as I'm headed out of town to Gulf Shores Alabama once again(my wife and I won a 3 night stay at da beach!!! yay for us....)
Looks like you'll be scoring more than the 49ers. What you think of how ARI got their RBs involved in the short passing game? ARI had zero running game as the run defense continues to shine. With missing starters on their OL and no David Johnson, no surprise they couldn't run. But their RBs combined got 12 catches for 117 yards. Most of the RB catches seemed determined, as in they weren't checkdowns, they were actually the go-to target on the play.

A weakness of this Cover3 is the short throws to the RBs, but the 49ers called Cover2 and Tampa2 as well in this game and the LBs were still victimized with short throws to the RB and were not being able to rally in time to keep it a minimal gain. On the last ARI drive, they got a couple nice catches from Ellington, each totaling 11 yards. The 49er LBs were so worried about the intermediate routes that they sagged hard and the short pass to the RB coming out of the backfield was easy pickings for Palmer.
Can't cry over spilled milk you say? Watch me!

Looks like you'll be scoring more than the 49ers. What you think of how ARI got their RBs involved in the short passing game? ARI had zero running game as the run defense continues to shine. With missing starters on their OL and no David Johnson, no surprise they couldn't run. But their RBs combined got 12 catches for 117 yards. Most of the RB catches seemed determined, as in they weren't checkdowns, they were actually the go-to target on the play.

A weakness of this Cover3 is the short throws to the RBs, but the 49ers called Cover2 and Tampa2 as well in this game and the LBs were still victimized with short throws to the RB and were not being able to rally in time to keep it a minimal gain. On the last ARI drive, they got a couple nice catches from Ellington, each totaling 11 yards. The 49er LBs were so worried about the intermediate routes that they sagged hard and the short pass to the RB coming out of the backfield was easy pickings for Palmer.

We are now getting beat like cover 3 teams get beat. Reminds me of what NE did to Seattle in that SB.
Share 49ersWebzone