LISTEN: 49ers Drafted For Now And The Future →

There are 115 users in the forums

Coaches Film Analysis: 2017 Season

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by thl408:
I got a bit out of order, this play is from the 2Q.
vs Cover 1 blitz. TEN comes with a stunt into the A gap with two LBs.

The short middle of the field is usually available to attack when a team comes with a blitz while playing Cover1. TEN helps combat this by having the two slot defenders take inside leverage - to protect the middle of the field. No way to be sure, but maybe TTaylor has an option route here. He sees the defender taking away the middle and he runs and Out. B

JG looking to Taylor the whole way as #55 loops through versus empty backfield.

+17. TTaylor is the king of slants so TEN takes it away. No problem. JG loves to throw the short Out.

In addition to these plays, there were two other instances in the game where the 49ers went empty. One was the throw into the endzone where Goodwin had to break up a possible INT (JG threw it off his backfoot). The other was on the final drive when Taylor caught a short pass. No doubt Dick LeBeau had a plan when the 49ers went empty, and JG does like to go empty for the quick passing game.

jonnydel. In this gif, notice how when Celek motions wide, TEN is in man but they don't have any defender follow Celek. Instead, they shift down one. While this helps disguise coverage, it also puts a mismatch in the slot with a LB on a WR (Bourne). Any thoughts on why this is a done?

Sometimes I've seen LeBeau do a zone-man where it's like a pattern-match. The first guy into your zone is who you got. I've seen it always behind heavy pressure. That way a team can't get any pick/rub plays against you on those.
Originally posted by defenderDX:
Originally posted by jonnydel:

Just GIF's fest....

TEN brings the house and get another unblocked rusher but Jimmy still gets the ball out to Juice on 3rd and 7 for a first down, lol....

oh my god dude, like, that's just ridiculous lol

anyone else having horrible flashbacks to the end of 2012 thinking...if only.....
anyone else having horrible flashbacks to the end of 2012 thinking...if only.....

Don't do it...
Here's another play that looks routine but is nothing but.

So, remember that first play I showed? When TEN ran a cover 3 "mable" against a trips set? We have a trips set here and TEN gives the same look. Press on the single side with cushion on the trips set and single safety. We motion Celek across and no-one follows him so it looks like zone coverage. We have a Pole/Ohio going on on the outside. Taylor's route is meant to pull the deep 1/3 corner out and open up the curl, just like we saw it do in the first qtr.

Right at the snap TEN shows their blitz. They're rushing 5 and playing man-coverage behind it. JG is looking at the LB's and sees them in man-coverage. From here he's going to know the trips side is busy and he's got a 1v1 on a slant - always a win.

Bourne does a good job of creating separation and JG rips it quickly.

In stride for RAC

It doesn't matter that Fusco is beat almost immediately. Another example of great ball location for 8 yards of RAC and a QB making his O-line look a lot better.
So, Jimmy said it's a lot easier when they blitz him, we've seen a lot of that. What about when they don't and drop max coverage?

Here TEN shows a lot of movement pre-snap and we're going to have a WCO staple here. Double slants to the bottom with slant/flat to the top. TEN is going to only rush 3 and drop 8 into coverage. It's a coverage you don't see a whole lot. They'll run man-coverage underneath with 2 lurkers. The ideas is they want to give a ton of help inside and bait a throw into double coverage. Jimmy likes to go over the middle against cover 1 man- as we saw with the Celek throw and the Goodwin DIG, so they're gonna take that away.

What I love is that Jimmy knows who his keys are. He reads the inside defender on Kittle. He sees him vacant the area and his back turn, he knows Goodwin's gonna win on his slant with no safety help down low.

You see how the inside slant is taking away the lurk defender as well. He knows there's no way for Orakpo to get there. With the LB's back turned he's just got to put the ball where only his receiver can get it with tight coverage.

In stride again....

Can't beat him with the blitz or 8 man coverage....whatya to do?
  • thl408
Sometimes I've seen LeBeau do a zone-man where it's like a pattern-match. The first guy into your zone is who you got. I've seen it always behind heavy pressure. That way a team can't get any pick/rub plays against you on those.
Nice that you brought that up. Similar to this play here. LeBeau will pattern match out of a Fire Zone blitz. First, some major window dressing. 49ers line up like this, but will motion Celek over to the left.
2Q 1st & 10

Now that Staley is covered by Celek, Goodwin can go in motion.

As soon as Goodwin gets near behind Murphy (18), the CB has to react. When the CB sees Goodwin coming to his side of the field, the CB has to be careful that no WR is aligned wider than him - that CB must align over #1, whether it's Goodwin or Murphy. So the CB backs off from press alignment. The field safety also comes down to become the curl/flat defender due to Goodwin's motion.

In LeBeau's Fire zone, the curl/flat defender is often the Seam player and will carry any verticals from #2 up the seam - shown here on Murphy. LeBeau's Seam player plays outside-in (outside leverage). But the main point of this cut up is the anticipation that JG throws with when targeting Goodwin. JG is midway through his windup and Goodwin has not even entered his break.

JG has already released the ball and Goodwin has just entered his break.

+18
Coach Ted contributing to this thread:

Just GIF's fest....

TEN brings the house and get another unblocked rusher but Jimmy still gets the ball out to Juice on 3rd and 7 for a first down, lol....

reported
  • thl408
Originally posted by Heroism:

I don't think the Bourne 50+ yarder was off the same play. Here's a nice article on some staple plays that NE likes to run out of an empty set. Included is the Hoss play above.
https://zachsdunn.com/2017/04/01/new-englands-empty-passing-game/
  • Giedi
  • Veteran

Just GIF's fest....

reported

I love the way Jimmy turns as he throws so that if he's hit, he's pretty much protected by his back pads and his hands can cushion his fall and negate a concussion. In this case he just runs out of the hit, but it's just one way where he saves his body. Little details like that impress the heck out of me.

P.S. I think Hyde missed a block there.
[ Edited by Giedi on Dec 20, 2017 at 3:11 PM ]

I'm a little irritated becaues I literally just finished cutting this play up.....lol
Originally posted by thl408:

I don't think the Bourne 50+ yarder was off the same play. Here's a nice article on some staple plays that NE likes to run out of an empty set. Included is the Hoss play above.
https://zachsdunn.com/2017/04/01/new-englands-empty-passing-game/

it wasn't the Bourne play was a PIN concept off PA
Originally posted by Giedi:

Just GIF's fest....

reported

I love the way Jimmy turns as he throws so that if he's hit, he's pretty much protected by his back pads and his hands can cushion his fall and negate a concussion. In this case he just runs out of the hit, but it's just one way where he saves his body. Little details like that impress the heck out of me.
i have to remind myself this guy only has 5 starts cause it looks like he's been playing 8 years.
  • thl408
Here's a great play that shows JG's growing chemistry with Goodwin.

This is the 2nd drive of the game and we're going to run a "pin" concept(post+in). We come out in 21 personnel and TEN responds with cover 1 man. They're going to bring both their OLB's in pass rush for a 5 man rush.

From his back foot to this screenshot even Goody could only move 3 yards....Also, the ball is already out and Goodwin is just now starting his break. That means he started his throwing motion before Goody started his break. That's throwing with anticipation. Something we didn't fully see in his first couple starts. That's exciting growth as well. Shows that with more time with all his receivers it's gonna be special.

+16

^ That was a fantastic throw. I had three plays I wanted to show regarding the JG to Goodwin connection (post #46). The one you cut up was probably his best throw of the three. Here is the third play I wanted to show.
2Q 3rd & 11.
vs Cover1 blitz. DBs playing with a cushion to the trips side.

JG mid windup and Goodwin is in the middle of his break. CBs playing with inside leverage means their backs are turned to the QB. This makes the throw a bit more comfortable knowing that the CB isn't aware the throw is coming.

+14.

Just GIF's fest....

This is why Jimmy G can do things that most QB's can. Only an elite few can do this. This is a sack for any other QB. 100% a sack for Alex, Colin, or CJ. His release and arm strength covers 2 things for this play to happen:

1. Gets the ball out before the unblocked sack
2. Throws it so quickly that the DB is not able to make a good break on the ball (notice how we are getting RAC on simple curl routes)

Let's talk about #2 since it has not really been mentioned. We all know his release has avoided sacks but what it does even more is allow him to throw into extremely dangerous situations. Here's why. DB's just can't react to him. If they do want to get a jump on the ball, they will need to go after it too soon which will allow Jimmy to pump and trap the DB. Instead of our QB playing see and throw, the DB's must see the throw first before they can react due to a possible pump fake. If they see the throw first...well...the release and the zip is so quick and strong that the ball gets there too fast and no play can be made.

This is why we are getting RAC on simple standstill routes as well as other routes.
Share 49ersWebzone