LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 247 users in the forums

49ers Cuts Thread

Shop Find 49ers gear online
  • Cjez
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by brodiebluebanaszak:
Request: can all cuts be posted in a growing list in the first or second post of this thread. Thank you.

Mayo assumed that responsibility by creating the thread.
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
Request: can all cuts be posted in a growing list in the first or second post of this thread. Thank you.

Yeah, I don't see why not.
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by mayo49:

Yeah, I don't see why not.

Danke Mayo!
Originally posted by PopeyeJonesing:
Not like I'm a Barkley fan but Hoyer making it through the whole season is maybe a 50/50 proposition at best, and Beathard has looked pretty bad against backups for two weeks in a row now. I think they've gotta keep three.

Looking at it another way, he could be looking bad because of the backup OL. He is getting routinely hammered. The first string line has been pass protecting well in preseason.
Originally posted by English:
Originally posted by KeepRabbitsOut:
Lot of talk as to whether they just go with 2 or keep Barkley and have 3.

You would be crazy to think Shanny doesn't push to keep CJ and develop him..

Barkley is still young though (26) and knows the Shanahan system.

My opinion is they stick to 3 QBs with Barkley at number 2.

Hard to second guess Shanahan as we have no track record as a HC but I am guessing he goes and Beathard is the #2.

Not like I'm a Barkley fan but Hoyer making it through the whole season is maybe a 50/50 proposition at best, and Beathard has looked pretty bad against backups for two weeks in a row now. I think they've gotta keep three.

If Shanny is working off the BW manual, they go with three QB's.
  • dj43
Originally posted by defenderDX:
Originally posted by KeepRabbitsOut:
I am waiting for the zone to blow up when Bourne and Bolden are cut.

Yep. Said this in the Bolden thread but in his post-game comment on Bolden Shanahan sure made it sound like he wouldn't be making the 53.

Wouldn't be opposed to Bourne, but half his yards, his only TD, and most of the love for him here comes from a single play in which the soon to be cut CB covering him fell down. Definitely not gonna lose any sleep if he doesn't make it.

even though he's taken 2 back to the house, I feel like he's just benefited from great blocking. he honestly doesn't look that explosive to me.

As we all know, what we see from games is a small part of what coaches see in the overall scheme of things.

It is very clear that Lynch and Shanahan put a high emphasis on players that fit into the system rather than just pure talent.

Gonna be a fun 36 hours...
Originally posted by Bluesbro:

Looking at it another way, he could be looking bad because of the backup OL. He is getting routinely hammered. The first string line has been pass protecting well in preseason.

He's been getting hammered because he's taking too long processing because he's a rookie, which is to be expected.

He's too inaccurate to trust even when he has a clean pocket and isn't under pressure.

I'm not gonna win any fans on this comparison, but so far he looks like Kap with even worse ball placement and without the mobility.
Originally posted by WestCoastForever:

Barkley to ps would be perfect. But he cant go there. Beathard cant either at this point. What to do.
Barkley to ps would be perfect. But he cant go there. Beathard cant either at this point. What to do.

Keep 3 QBs?

1. Hoyer 2. Barkley 3. Beathard

Done and done.
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:

Keep 3 QBs?

Done and done.
i get this. but man i would love to go with two and fill that spot with someone who can help us in other areas. again,. i totally understand your reasoning. hoyer and his injuries

• Cjez
  • Hall of Fame
if hoyer weren't so fragile, I think they'd definitely go with 2. but, u know.
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Bluesbro:

I'm thinking that hit he took in the first half kind of knocked the confidence out of him. The center is the one that calls the pass protections and either BeatHard or the Center missed that blitz. Anyway, I think the Charger's dialed up the blitz and BeatHard did finally beat it, but with his legs. I think there was 23 first half points on BeatHard's watch. A lot of it was defense and getting turovers, but at least BeatHard moved the ball enough to get points off those turnovers. I see a lot of QB's and they get a defensive turnover, go on offense, and get pushed back and out of field goal range.
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:

Keep 3 QBs?

Done and done.

Let's put CJ Beathard at #2, Hoyer goes down, Beathard struggles, fans boo him, confidence is shot. Now what? I don't get why so many want to just hurry up and throw Beathard in the fire. Yes he looked pretty solid, but let's not forget, theses were vanilla defenses with second and third stringers. IMO his play this past preseason is nothing but a confidence booster, it's not like he was doing doughnuts around Richard Sherman or Luke Kuechly. Let Beathard sit back and learn for a while that's the luxury of having two vets on the roster.
Originally posted by Kolohe:
Let's put CJ Beathard at #2, Hoyer goes down, Beathard struggles, fans boo him, confidence is shot. Now what? I don't get why so many want to just hurry up and throw Beathard in the fire. Yes he looked pretty solid, but let's not forget, theses were vanilla defenses with second and third stringers. IMO his play this past preseason is nothing but a confidence booster, it's not like he was doing doughnuts around Richard Sherman or Luke Kuechly. Let Beathard sit back and learn for a while that's the luxury of having two vets on the roster.

Beathard needs a lot of work. He is nowhere near game ready. His footwork needs work, his pocket presence and awareness need work, he needs to sit and learn and improve on his weaknesses because he has a ways to go right now.
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by WestCoastForever:

On another point but related to the QB situation. Nick Mullens played, and I thought he did as well as can be expected of a developmental undrafted QB. Some of the scouting reports said he didn't have an arm, but I saw him throw some nice 10 yard outs and some decent passes. I think he has a good NFL arm, but not like Kaepernic's arm, obviously, but I think his arm won't limit him in the NFL the way Tim Rattay's arm did. He did get intercepted but other than that interception I thought he played well enough to be on the practice squad. I think there's going to be a debate on whether to keep a 3rd QB, and if we're going to keep a 3rd QB, why not Mullens instead of Barkley. If #1 and #2 go down, the season is shot, might as well develop the undrafted rookie and not let the regular season reps go to waste.
Share 49ersWebzone