There are 166 users in the forums

49ers Cuts Thread

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by PopeyeJonesing:
Originally posted by KeepRabbitsOut:
I am waiting for the zone to blow up when Bourne and Bolden are cut.

Yep. Said this in the Bolden thread but in his post-game comment on Bolden Shanahan sure made it sound like he wouldn't be making the 53.

Wouldn't be opposed to Bourne, but half his yards, his only TD, and most of the love for him here comes from a single play in which the soon to be cut CB covering him fell down. Definitely not gonna lose any sleep if he doesn't make it.

even though he's taken 2 back to the house, I feel like he's just benefited from great blocking. he honestly doesn't look that explosive to me.
Originally posted by defenderDX:

Yep. Said this in the Bolden thread but in his post-game comment on Bolden Shanahan sure made it sound like he wouldn't be making the 53.

Wouldn't be opposed to Bourne, but half his yards, his only TD, and most of the love for him here comes from a single play in which the soon to be cut CB covering him fell down. Definitely not gonna lose any sleep if he doesn't make it.

even though he's taken 2 back to the house, I feel like he's just benefited from great blocking. he honestly doesn't look that explosive to me.

Yeah, as a returner he seems to be able to cut and go well and has great straight line speed, but beyond that I don't see too much.

On PR he strikes me as the type of guy who might take one to the house one time, but Trent Taylor would have a higher yards per return overall. Taylor's already making the team because of his contribution at WR, and even without that, I'd still take the higher yards per return guy over the potential one TD across a season anyway.
  • Goatie
  • Veteran
Originally posted by defenderDX:

Yeah, as a returner he seems to be able to cut and go well and has great straight line speed, but beyond that I don't see too much.

On PR he strikes me as the type of guy who might take one to the house one time, but Trent Taylor would have a higher yards per return overall. Taylor's already making the team because of his contribution at WR, and even without that, I'd still take the higher yards per return guy over the potential one TD across a season anyway.

One thing for certain this roster is going to be better than the last two years by far
Originally posted by mayo49:
All cuts news goes here.

Please update your OP as they come in.
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by English:
Lot of talk as to whether they just go with 2 or keep Barkley and have 3.

You would be crazy to think Shanny doesn't push to keep CJ and develop him..

Barkley is still young though (26) and knows the Shanahan system.

My opinion is they stick to 3 QBs with Barkley at number 2.

Hard to second guess Shanahan as we have no track record as a HC but I am guessing he goes and Beathard is the #2.

I agree. Barkley will be available if cut. That 3rd qb position will go to a talented position player.
Originally posted by English:
Lot of talk as to whether they just go with 2 or keep Barkley and have 3.

You would be crazy to think Shanny doesn't push to keep CJ and develop him..

Barkley is still young though (26) and knows the Shanahan system.

My opinion is they stick to 3 QBs with Barkley at number 2.

Hard to second guess Shanahan as we have no track record as a HC but I am guessing he goes and Beathard is the #2.

Not like I'm a Barkley fan but Hoyer making it through the whole season is maybe a 50/50 proposition at best, and Beathard has looked pretty bad against backups for two weeks in a row now. I think they've gotta keep three.

I mean he's not Rogers or anything but his stats aren't horrible. I'd rather have him as the #2 to Hoyer....Kyle puts a ton of stock into practice and Barkley was throwing INTs on the reg.

No team is gonna scoop up Barkley anyway, so if Hoyer get's hurt give him a call to come in and be the backup of CJ.

Matt isn't worth a roster spot
Originally posted by NYniner85:

I mean he's not Rogers or anything but his stats aren't horrible. I'd rather have him as the #2 to Hoyer....Kyle puts a ton of stock into practice and Barkley was throwing INTs on the reg.

No team is gonna scoop up Barkley anyway, so if Hoyer get's hurt give him a call to come in and be the backup of CJ.

Matt isn't worth a roster spot

His stats are just bad instead of horrible over these last two weeks because Mostert took a screen pass 90 yards to the house.

His accuracy has been downright atrocious, and even when he can get the ball inside the receiver's radius his ball placement has been a mess.
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
Originally posted by NCommand:
All cuts news goes here.

No problem, will do.
His stats are just bad instead of horrible over these last two weeks because Mostert took a screen pass 90 yards to the house.

His accuracy has been downright atrocious, and even when he can get the ball inside the receiver's radius his ball placement has been a mess.

That's being overly harsh. He's a rookie trying to work on picking up a pretty complicated offense. He's done very well and some of those throws will get there.

And if you're taking away plays you can also give him some back for guys dropping passes or giving them away for a pick.
Originally posted by genus49:

That's being overly harsh. He's a rookie trying to work on picking up a pretty complicated offense. He's done very well and some of those throws will get there.

And if you're taking away plays you can also give him some back for guys dropping passes or giving them away for a pick.

I'm not saying he'll never be worthy of being the #2, I'm just saying that after these last two weeks I think it's a big mistake to trust him as the #2 behind a fragile QB like Hoyer.

That he's a rookie who is trying to pick up a complicated offense is just more reason to not trust him as the #2.

TBF though it's not his decision making that bothers me (i.e. rookie in complicated offense), it's his accuracy and ball placement.

And I'm more than happy to assign his pick to Goodwin if you want, as long as your willing to accept that almost half of his total passing yards and his only passing TD across a full game of play these last two weeks are from a screen pass that as a QB he gets literally zero credit for.

And not to push too hard on it because I do think Goodwin is to blame for the INT, but if Beathard's ball placement on that throw (which wasn't a hard one) wasn't so bad Goodwin wouldn't have given up that ball to begin with.

Originally posted by NCommand:
All cuts news goes here.

No problem, will do.

Thanks bro...will help a ton!
Originally posted by Goatie:
One thing for certain this roster is going to be better than the last two years by far

Amen to that!
Request: can all cuts be posted in a growing list in the first or second post of this thread. Thank you.
There is a tracker here:
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2017/09/01/pfts-2017-nfc-53-man-roster-cuts-tracker/
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by genus49:

That 62 yard TD run is important in my book because when the pocket breaks down, a statue kind of QB is going to eat it and lose yardage. A more mobile QB is going to make that 3 yard distance, if it's short distance to the first down. BeatHard has lots more mobility than I thought and that is a big difference between keeping a 3rd QB and going with a Rookie QB. That mobility will make up for a lot of passing deficiencies because of his rookie inexperience.
Share 49ersWebzone