49ers vs. Broncos Tickets Available! →

There are 570 users in the forums

Preseason Game 3 2017: Thoughts after rewatching the game....

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Foster looks like a monster. I think this is the D for Reid, too. Interested to see if Ward can hold up.

All the slants and throwing to backs reminded me of the good old days.
I'd been watching CJ get better and better, so when Hoyer led off, i was blown away by how exacting his play was. His passes right on target, and man does he ever get it gone quick. Guy has a phenomenally quick release, altho maybe we just haven't seen a fast release in so long i forgot what it looked like in red and gold. But man that ball gets out of there quick. oh. And he was accurate, also. The 45 yarder...was perfect. Does help when you got a guy who can blow by their fastest CB like he was standing still, however. That was slick.
Who is in charge of the cb's?
Originally posted by pasodoc9er:
I'd been watching CJ get better and better, so when Hoyer led off, i was blown away by how exacting his play was. His passes right on target, and man does he ever get it gone quick. Guy has a phenomenally quick release, altho maybe we just haven't seen a fast release in so long i forgot what it looked like in red and gold. But man that ball gets out of there quick. oh. And he was accurate, also. The 45 yarder...was perfect. Does help when you got a guy who can blow by their fastest CB like he was standing still, however. That was slick.
Originally posted by Marvin49:
1) QBs: Hoyer looked great early but the patting the ball thing is starting to bug me. Still though some really good passes, moving defenders with his eyes...a promising showing. Beathard not so much. The INT wasn't his fault but his 87 yard TD wasn't his making either. Hoyer is safe as the starter for awhile.

2) Foster: Yup. Real Deal. He's got "it" alright. :) All over the field, arrives with force, and he's still just learning. Just wait till he's an experienced vet. Love it.

3) Joe Williams: Call me skeptical on this one. I loved how he looked in game 1 when he looked like he was shot out of a cannon, but I've yet to see him do much more than just run straight into the line. Maybe there was nothing there on his runs last night, but I'm not so sure on him right now. I'm not sure if he is taking himself out of games or what but he seems to be in and out of the game very quickly.

4) Mostert: He looked pretty good last night, but kinda think he's one of those camp guys who gets yards against scrubs but won't make it under the real lights. I think he bought himself more opportunities, but he did play well last night.

5) Garcon: Looked great. He's gonna be leaned on heavily this year so I hope he's in good shape. He gonna get ALOT of targets.

6) Goodwin: IF (big if) he can stay healthy this could be a huge breakout year for him. The combination of his explosive speed and Kyle Shanahans scheming is going to have him break wide open on many occasions this year. Additionally, the THREAT of him and play action are going to open up ALOT of mid range passes all year. LBs and safeties will creep up to stop the run and Goodwin will take the top off the D leaving huge open spaces in the middle. This is all good stuff.

7) Bowman: Still concerned about his lateral speed, but even Bowman as more of a 2 down LB thumping people up the middle is pretty good. It took Crab a few years to get all the way back from the Achilles so maybe Bow has a chance to get all the way back as well. We'll see.

8) Armstead: Starting to really look like a player. He has been a whipping boy on this site for some time from people who just never liked the pick, but he's playing well right now. Only problem is that it difficult to see just exactly how he fits. He's not a classic Elephant (I refuse to call it a Leo). He has shown well when he's had a chance. The entire front 7 for that matter has really looked good.

9) DBs: CB is a concern. Robinson talks a big game but he's getting burned on the regular. With all his bluster its easy to forget that he's just a 2nd year player with only a few starts under his belt and he has a lot of room to grow, but I think CB is going to be a challenging position this year. Witherspoon hasn't shown much of anything yet and nobody is playing lights out. I LOVE the way the safeties look right now, Reid in particular. That role really seems to suit him. We'll see if Ward can be the Earl Thomas of this defense.

10) Two. more. weeks: Can't wait. Regular Season football is nearly upon us.

I agree with the ball patting it bugs me as well...but if he plays like he did yesterday he can do whatever he wants lol
Originally posted by NYniner85:
Originally posted by Marvin49:
1) QBs: Hoyer looked great early but the patting the ball thing is starting to bug me. Still though some really good passes, moving defenders with his eyes...a promising showing. Beathard not so much. The INT wasn't his fault but his 87 yard TD wasn't his making either. Hoyer is safe as the starter for awhile.

2) Foster: Yup. Real Deal. He's got "it" alright. :) All over the field, arrives with force, and he's still just learning. Just wait till he's an experienced vet. Love it.

3) Joe Williams: Call me skeptical on this one. I loved how he looked in game 1 when he looked like he was shot out of a cannon, but I've yet to see him do much more than just run straight into the line. Maybe there was nothing there on his runs last night, but I'm not so sure on him right now. I'm not sure if he is taking himself out of games or what but he seems to be in and out of the game very quickly.

4) Mostert: He looked pretty good last night, but kinda think he's one of those camp guys who gets yards against scrubs but won't make it under the real lights. I think he bought himself more opportunities, but he did play well last night.

5) Garcon: Looked great. He's gonna be leaned on heavily this year so I hope he's in good shape. He gonna get ALOT of targets.

6) Goodwin: IF (big if) he can stay healthy this could be a huge breakout year for him. The combination of his explosive speed and Kyle Shanahans scheming is going to have him break wide open on many occasions this year. Additionally, the THREAT of him and play action are going to open up ALOT of mid range passes all year. LBs and safeties will creep up to stop the run and Goodwin will take the top off the D leaving huge open spaces in the middle. This is all good stuff.

7) Bowman: Still concerned about his lateral speed, but even Bowman as more of a 2 down LB thumping people up the middle is pretty good. It took Crab a few years to get all the way back from the Achilles so maybe Bow has a chance to get all the way back as well. We'll see.

8) Armstead: Starting to really look like a player. He has been a whipping boy on this site for some time from people who just never liked the pick, but he's playing well right now. Only problem is that it difficult to see just exactly how he fits. He's not a classic Elephant (I refuse to call it a Leo). He has shown well when he's had a chance. The entire front 7 for that matter has really looked good.

9) DBs: CB is a concern. Robinson talks a big game but he's getting burned on the regular. With all his bluster its easy to forget that he's just a 2nd year player with only a few starts under his belt and he has a lot of room to grow, but I think CB is going to be a challenging position this year. Witherspoon hasn't shown much of anything yet and nobody is playing lights out. I LOVE the way the safeties look right now, Reid in particular. That role really seems to suit him. We'll see if Ward can be the Earl Thomas of this defense.

10) Two. more. weeks: Can't wait. Regular Season football is nearly upon us.

I agree with the ball patting it bugs me as well...but if he plays like he did yesterday he can do whatever he wants lol

I feel Shanny woulda put a stop to it if it gave defenses an advantage?
Fans wanted an injury free game? Pretty damn close. Staley with some tendonitis and Williams with a bicept bruise. Whew.

We may be starting week 1 almost fully healthy!
Is there any other website i can watch the replay of the game besides nflfullhd.com? I see every other game but the niner game from this past weekend.

Originally posted by Wu-5Rings:
Is there any other website i can watch the replay of the game besides nflfullhd.com? I see every other game but the niner game from this past weekend.


+Uno.
Foster is fun to watch and he looks to be the real deal. But offense is what has me excited. In the first quarter I must have said 5 times "so that's what it looks like for a 49er receiver to catch a ball with space" It is the first competent passing game I have seen in years
Originally posted by NYniner85:
Originally posted by Marvin49:
1) QBs: Hoyer looked great early but the patting the ball thing is starting to bug me. Still though some really good passes, moving defenders with his eyes...a promising showing. Beathard not so much. The INT wasn't his fault but his 87 yard TD wasn't his making either. Hoyer is safe as the starter for awhile.

2) Foster: Yup. Real Deal. He's got "it" alright. :) All over the field, arrives with force, and he's still just learning. Just wait till he's an experienced vet. Love it.

3) Joe Williams: Call me skeptical on this one. I loved how he looked in game 1 when he looked like he was shot out of a cannon, but I've yet to see him do much more than just run straight into the line. Maybe there was nothing there on his runs last night, but I'm not so sure on him right now. I'm not sure if he is taking himself out of games or what but he seems to be in and out of the game very quickly.

4) Mostert: He looked pretty good last night, but kinda think he's one of those camp guys who gets yards against scrubs but won't make it under the real lights. I think he bought himself more opportunities, but he did play well last night.

5) Garcon: Looked great. He's gonna be leaned on heavily this year so I hope he's in good shape. He gonna get ALOT of targets.

6) Goodwin: IF (big if) he can stay healthy this could be a huge breakout year for him. The combination of his explosive speed and Kyle Shanahans scheming is going to have him break wide open on many occasions this year. Additionally, the THREAT of him and play action are going to open up ALOT of mid range passes all year. LBs and safeties will creep up to stop the run and Goodwin will take the top off the D leaving huge open spaces in the middle. This is all good stuff.

7) Bowman: Still concerned about his lateral speed, but even Bowman as more of a 2 down LB thumping people up the middle is pretty good. It took Crab a few years to get all the way back from the Achilles so maybe Bow has a chance to get all the way back as well. We'll see.

8) Armstead: Starting to really look like a player. He has been a whipping boy on this site for some time from people who just never liked the pick, but he's playing well right now. Only problem is that it difficult to see just exactly how he fits. He's not a classic Elephant (I refuse to call it a Leo). He has shown well when he's had a chance. The entire front 7 for that matter has really looked good.

9) DBs: CB is a concern. Robinson talks a big game but he's getting burned on the regular. With all his bluster its easy to forget that he's just a 2nd year player with only a few starts under his belt and he has a lot of room to grow, but I think CB is going to be a challenging position this year. Witherspoon hasn't shown much of anything yet and nobody is playing lights out. I LOVE the way the safeties look right now, Reid in particular. That role really seems to suit him. We'll see if Ward can be the Earl Thomas of this defense.

10) Two. more. weeks: Can't wait. Regular Season football is nearly upon us.

I agree with the ball patting it bugs me as well...but if he plays like he did yesterday he can do whatever he wants lol

I don't know why it bugs u guys so much, almost every QB in the league and in the past pats the ball before they throw it. Brees, Brady, Luck, Rodgers, Carr, Manning all do it. Not comparing Hoyer to them but getting mad at Hoyer for patting the ball is just ridiculous.
Originally posted by NCommand:
Fans wanted an injury free game? Pretty damn close. Staley with some tendonitis and Williams with a bicept bruise. Whew.

We may be starting week 1 almost fully healthy!

Dont worry, Ward will slip on a f'n banana peel the niht before the game starts or something
Originally posted by Izyniner:
Originally posted by Marvin49:
Originally posted by HearstFan:
Ummm - I was just excited to see the 49ers run a pro-style offense for the first time in 2 years
Wait Harbaugh was just barely NFL style offense, so 6....
Wait before that was Singletary, so 7......let's just call it 8 YEARS

OMG how refreshing was that too watch? And the Bonus was it was working!!!

Lastly, QB reverse bootleg throw to FB in the flat turn it up for 10 yards -- How Rathman was that play?? Must kill Rathman we never did that while he was coaching here. LOL

And I even saw a screen pass!!

OK - I will stop :)

Yeah...I mentioned that a few weeks ago. So nice to see a real NFL style offense for the first time in nearly a decade.

HALLALLUUUUUYYAAAAAHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!

Welcome home WCO!
Originally posted by SmokeCrabtrees:
Originally posted by NYniner85:
Originally posted by Marvin49:
1) QBs: Hoyer looked great early but the patting the ball thing is starting to bug me. Still though some really good passes, moving defenders with his eyes...a promising showing. Beathard not so much. The INT wasn't his fault but his 87 yard TD wasn't his making either. Hoyer is safe as the starter for awhile.

2) Foster: Yup. Real Deal. He's got "it" alright. :) All over the field, arrives with force, and he's still just learning. Just wait till he's an experienced vet. Love it.

3) Joe Williams: Call me skeptical on this one. I loved how he looked in game 1 when he looked like he was shot out of a cannon, but I've yet to see him do much more than just run straight into the line. Maybe there was nothing there on his runs last night, but I'm not so sure on him right now. I'm not sure if he is taking himself out of games or what but he seems to be in and out of the game very quickly.

4) Mostert: He looked pretty good last night, but kinda think he's one of those camp guys who gets yards against scrubs but won't make it under the real lights. I think he bought himself more opportunities, but he did play well last night.

5) Garcon: Looked great. He's gonna be leaned on heavily this year so I hope he's in good shape. He gonna get ALOT of targets.

6) Goodwin: IF (big if) he can stay healthy this could be a huge breakout year for him. The combination of his explosive speed and Kyle Shanahans scheming is going to have him break wide open on many occasions this year. Additionally, the THREAT of him and play action are going to open up ALOT of mid range passes all year. LBs and safeties will creep up to stop the run and Goodwin will take the top off the D leaving huge open spaces in the middle. This is all good stuff.

7) Bowman: Still concerned about his lateral speed, but even Bowman as more of a 2 down LB thumping people up the middle is pretty good. It took Crab a few years to get all the way back from the Achilles so maybe Bow has a chance to get all the way back as well. We'll see.

8) Armstead: Starting to really look like a player. He has been a whipping boy on this site for some time from people who just never liked the pick, but he's playing well right now. Only problem is that it difficult to see just exactly how he fits. He's not a classic Elephant (I refuse to call it a Leo). He has shown well when he's had a chance. The entire front 7 for that matter has really looked good.

9) DBs: CB is a concern. Robinson talks a big game but he's getting burned on the regular. With all his bluster its easy to forget that he's just a 2nd year player with only a few starts under his belt and he has a lot of room to grow, but I think CB is going to be a challenging position this year. Witherspoon hasn't shown much of anything yet and nobody is playing lights out. I LOVE the way the safeties look right now, Reid in particular. That role really seems to suit him. We'll see if Ward can be the Earl Thomas of this defense.

10) Two. more. weeks: Can't wait. Regular Season football is nearly upon us.

I agree with the ball patting it bugs me as well...but if he plays like he did yesterday he can do whatever he wants lol

I feel Shanny woulda put a stop to it if it gave defenses an advantage?

Hoyer can use it as disinformation to the enemy now on running plays.
The corners scare me. But if we stay healthy and the young guys play anywhere near their potential and have a little luck we might be able to win 10 or 11 games. More likely 6 to 8 as our depth really isn't great in some places. The team and Hoyer are both looking better than I expected.
Open Menu Search Share 49ersWebzone