There are 210 users in the forums

The Iron-Pyrite-Lining Thread (Negative people come on in!)

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by English:
Originally posted by NYniner85:

I'll add the only time Kyle has been to the playoffs is when he had a 1st rd qb.

He is 37. How many times do you expect him to have been to the playoffs? This kind of "logic" isn't logic. Collapse the timescale enough and you will be surprised what you can, apparently, prove.

Been a OC for 10 yrs
  • evil
  • Veteran
Originally posted by NinerSickness:
Originally posted by BOI49er:
The Only quarterback Kyle wanted from this draft was Beathard.

Beathard.

Trubisky.

I think it was smart to pass on Trubisky
"In short, I think the Niners are an amateur organization with no real leadership, no plan and no brains running blindly into the season with their fingers crossed, hoping good things happen."

This. Guess and check method.

Jed has no clue wtf he is doing. How could he?
[ Edited by Young2Rice on Jul 7, 2017 at 3:42 PM ]
Kaepernick ruined everything. That is my dark side.
Originally posted by Lurker:
Kaepernick ruined everything. That is my dark side.

Kaep is a hero. That's my bright side.
I want us to sport these helmets:

Originally posted by 9ersLiferInChicago:

Get that "bright side" the f**k out of this thread!

Originally posted by NYniner85:
Kyle Shanahan does. "If no quarterback really jumps out at you, and you can get a pass rusher, or a linebacker, or an offensive lineman that can help you win for the next ten years, you don't gamble."

The Only quarterback Kyle wanted from this draft was Beathard.

I'm absolutely fine with drafting a quarterback very high if that's who jumps out at Kyle. What Kyle likes just isn't necessarily what gets draft pundits excited, so drafting high is not the goal.

My examples included Kirk Cousins. He's certainly not one of the best "in the history of the NFL", at least yet, but imo he could win a Super Bowl, with us, and he's one of a very small number Kyle has been able to influence his team to draft. Nobody had taken him by the fourth round.

I'll reiterate. That's a plus if you draft high and can get your first choice of the quarterback crop. It's not always valuable to get the pundits first or high choices. The two things may line up, but in Kyles case, they usually won't.

I'll agree there was no QB that jumped out in this past draft hence not drafting one...even the pundits stated this. I was in the Solomon bandwagon.

What I'm referring to is the next draft which IMO has a chance to be something special at the QB position.

We'll have a great idea on Kirk's future after July 17th.

Also its not just the pundits who are talking up these guys it's fans like us who watch them play lol. If all three guys improve a little you're looking at some very good qbs that imo could all run Kyle's offense. Throw in a cheap contract for 5 yrs and your looking amazing for a rebuild.

Like I said Kyle's only been to the playoffs with a first rd QB at the helm...I don't think kyle thinks he can just grab any QB and magically turn them into a top FQB...he's simply looking at who can run his offense, who's accurate, and a leader/tough. All three top prospects next yr imo aren't really products of a system and carry some of the traits kyle looks for.

We will see

I don't know everything about Kyle Shanahans qb preferences, but here is what I know.

In 2011, the highest rated quarterback was RGIII, who went 2 overall to his team. Jay Gruden's kid brother Jon was on the tv saying he'd give up Anything for him, and the Skins did just that. Kyle didn't believe in RG, so he got the team to buy his insurance policy of Cousins in the fourth at 102. He was subsequently fired for wanting to play his fourth rounder over number 2 overall. Now Cousins is the only quarterback in the history of the league to be franchised two years in a row. That first rounder is now out of the league.

In 2014, his team wanted Johnny Manziel. Kyle objected, but the Browns took him anyway in the first round at 22 overall. Kyle's first choice was Derek Carr, who was taken in the second round at 36th overall. That dude is now the highest paid player in the history of the league at $125m/5 years. Jimmy Garoppolo was his second choice, who also went in the second round but at the 62nd pick overall. Kyle quit under pressure to play that standout quarterback Johnny Manziel, who is also now out of the league.

Where in this history does it show Kyle Shanahan needs a very top pick to get a quarterback? Where does it show the top rated consensus quarterbacks that go high are better than his picks? Where does it show his criteria for the best prospect is anything like that of the pundits or the league consensus?

I'm all for Kyle having his choice, but the idea of tanking a season instead of getting this thing rolling, on the slim chance it will keep us from getting a (good God) "Franchise Quarterback", to me, is just Stupid, and y'all know by now, I'm of the opinion Kyle Shanahan ain't that.
[ Edited by BOI49er on Jul 7, 2017 at 6:43 PM ]
Where in this history does it show Kyle Shanahan needs a very top pick to get a quarterback? Where does it show the top rated consensus quarterbacks that go high are better than his picks?

Yeah, Kyle doesn't care as long as the QB fits his mold and criteria...2nd round, 3rd, 4tb, etc. Hell, he'll make a crappy #2 spread QB look good. Don't be surprised if Hoyer has a nice season.

I think 85 is just talking about probability and that there might be quite a few nice QB's in the first round that fit his ideals so he'd like us to be in prime position to get Kyle's man...which may be in the first round next year.

Originally posted by NinerSickness:

Get that "bright side" the f**k out of this thread!

Make me
I want us to sport these helmets:

Want!
I like Trubisky but he's not very smart. I don't think he would've been able to run Shanahan's offense and I don't think he'll be good till 2020 or so. It will take him some time to adjust.

As far as the 49ers go I couldn't be happier. Baalke is gone, Alex Smith is gone, Kaepernick is gone and thank god. I've wanted a real fresh start since 2015. I've wanted a new QB since 2014. Shanahan will do his best to bring a viable FQB to SF.

Shanahan is a great offensive mind. Lynch has done good thus far. It will all boil down to their ability to get a FQB. Our DC and defensive drafting will also be key but what we do at QB will be the single most important decision.

Yes Cousins could be our guy but maybe not. We have draft capital and the 2018 draft has better and or more experienced QB's that will have less of a question mark over their heads. If we don't get Cousins we'll be drafting a QB early 2018. You can count on that.

We won 2 games last year. This season is all about installing the new offense/defense. Getting the defense going this year is very important. Getting the o-line and WR's comfortable in the new offense is also important.

It's a new day, a new era. I don't expect things to turn around quickly like 2011. The 2016 roster was garbage. Baalke messed everything up and a couple guys retired etc. We were just about the worst team in football.

There's absolutely no reason to be negative. It will be reasonable in 2018/2019 if we remain one of the worst teams in the NFL. Until then, enjoy the ride.
Originally posted by LeProfessionnel:
I like Trubisky but he's not very smart. I don't think he would've been able to run Shanahan's offense and I don't think he'll be good till 2020 or so

I don't think the 49ers will be good 'til 2020 or so. If that.

Trade Bowman, Staley & Hyde and cut Brooks, because they ain't winning a SB w/ the Red & Gold.
[ Edited by NinerSickness on Jul 7, 2017 at 11:42 PM ]
Share 49ersWebzone