There are 240 users in the forums

Sam, Mike & Will

Shop Find 49ers gear online
With the move to the 4-3 I feel like there needs to be a thread discussing the backers, specifically and their roles.

I'm ecstatic that we landed Foster. And @ 31?! Wow. Now, with #MON5T3R and #5AVA6E we have two players who are versatile and IMO can play either the WILL or MIKE position.

The question is where does Smith play? I don't think he's a fit at SAM. He's not big, physical, strong enough to play the position and didn't he struggle in that role with Oakland? We paid him starter money so we're committed. That signing was the biggest questionable one from Lynch.

I feel that Brooks and Harold are the best fit for SAM but from articles I've read they're gonna play with their foot in the dirt. Atleast Brooks will. I believe Bow CAN play SAM but with his injury history I wouldn't feel comfortable with him going up against 300 pounders, constantly. I feel like the strongside backer should be a thumper that blitzes and who's athletic enough to cover TE's from time to time.

We have the MIKE and WILL covered with a healthy 53 and 56 but where does Smith fit? Do we bring Foster on slowly? Can Lynch play SAM? Was signing Smith a waste?

If it was up to me my starting lineup(with depth) would look like this:

LDE- Thomas, Armstead, Tank
NT- Dial, D.J Jones
DT- Buckner, Armstead, Mitchell, Blair
LEO- Lynch, Brooks, Taumoepenu

SAM- Brooks, Harold, Lynch
MIKE- Bowman, Foster, Smith, Armstrong
WILL- Foster, Bowman, Smith, Armstrong

CB- Robinson, Witherspoon, Johnson, Reaser
Nickel- Redmond, Williams
FS- Ward, Jerome
SS- Reid, Tartt
[ Edited by GoldBlooded on May 11, 2017 at 6:41 AM ]
[ Edited by GoldBlooded on May 10, 2017 at 8:46 PM ]
In my Team Needs thread, under the following section, there are 4 great links for you.

What is a 4-3_Under Defense?
Explained 1
Explained 2
Explained 3 - Post #1263
Explained 4

Keep in mind that the SAM in this 4-3 will NOT be like the old beefcake thumper linebackers of the past, like Bill Romanowski (IIRC, that's the reference Saleh noted). Instead, they are now edge rushers (in nickel) according to Saleh, up to 70% of the time. So you might have a beefier SAM on 1st downs, like Armstead at LEO, but then bring in your bendier, speedier, quicker, smaller and more natural pass rushers on passing downs to rush from the SAM and LEO spots.
Defensive Personnel: --- 25
LDE: *Solomon Thomas; *Tank Carradine & Quinton Dial
NT/1T: D.J. Jones; *Earl Mitchell
RDT: *DeForest Bucker; *Ronald Blair
RDE: *Arik Armstead
ER: Aaron Lynch; Eli Harold, Dekoda Watson & Pita Taumoepenu
SAM: Malcolm Smith
MIKE: Navarro Bowman
WILL: Reuben Foster; Ray-Ray Armstrong
RCB: Ahkello Witherspoon; Dontae Johnson
S/CB: Will Redmond; K'Waun Williams
LCB: Rashard Robinson
FS: Jimmie Ward; Lorenzo Jerome
SS: Jaquiski Tartt; Eric Reid

* Interior Rushers / ER = Edge Rushers
Smith played in Seattle for 4 years and knows the system to a tee. Why do you think he wont play? I think Saleh said he was a Sam.
Saleh actually didn't say Smith was anything, but when asked about who would play SAM, He didn't mention Malcom.

Also, during minicamp, Malcom Was lined up at Will .

To me, Malcolm screams Will. But so does Rueben. Honestly, I don't care how much they paid Malcolm, a healthy Rueben should start. Malcolm can sit the whole year and be depth, if needed. I don't see Malcolm as the Sam - I think Brooks is the best SAM on the roster right now and maybe Eli can do it too.

As for the OP's lineup, I like it. I would rather see D.J. as the NT though. I like Dial as a back up, but not so much as a starter.

Forgot to add, Malcolm's contract is not structured as a true five-year long-term contract. I wouldn't sweat his contract too much.
[ Edited by Lobo49er on May 10, 2017 at 5:31 PM ]
Originally posted by Lobo49er:
Saleh actually didn't say Smith was anything, but when asked about who would play SAM, He didn't mention Malcom.

Also, during minicamp, Malcom Was lined up at Will .

To me, Malcolm screams Will. But so does Rueben. Honestly, I don't care how much they paid Malcolm, a healthy Rueben should start. Malcolm can sit the whole year and be depth, if needed. I don't see Malcolm as the Sam - I think Brooks is the best SAM on the roster right now and maybe Eli can do it too.

As for the OP's lineup, I like it. I would rather see D.J. as the NT though. I like Dial as a back up, but not so much as a starter.

Forgot to add, Malcolm's contract is not structured as a true five-year long-term contract. I wouldn't sweat his contract to much.

Lobo summed it up nicely.

Even if we've got a logjam at the will spot, I'd much rather have too many than too few.
Originally posted by Heroism:
Lobo summed it up nicely.

Even if we've got a logjam at the will spot, I'd much rather have too many than too few.

Yeah, lol - LB depth is a good thing, see "last year".
Malcolms contract isn't as team friendly as you think. They gave him a 7 million dollar signing bonus and guaranteed 4.5 million in base salary over the first 2 years. He will be a negative cap hit if we get rid of him before he plays 2 seasons. Before the 3rd season we'd only save 1.25 million if we cut him, or like 2+ million if we use the June 1 cut, and spread the cap hit over 2 years.

We have all this cap space, and Lynch is still giving signing bonuses to guys who won't be here for the duration of their contract. That's the one thing I don't like, because when we cut or trade them years later, we take cap hits, and have DEAD MONEY on the books. If we only wanted Malcolm for 3 years, then guarantee the 11.5 million in base salary over his first 3 seasons, with NO SIGNING BONUS, thus if we want to trade him, then we don't take a cap hit, or have dead money on the books. Sad to say, but the Raiders are very smart in the way they've been doing contracts, and they continue to keep their guys, and continue to have money to add in FA, because they Front load contracts, and don't give out signing bonuses to FA's.
Originally posted by NCommand:
Defensive Personnel: --- 25
LDE: *Solomon Thomas; *Tank Carradine & Quinton Dial
NT/1T: D.J. Jones; *Earl Mitchell
RDT: *DeForest Bucker; *Ronald Blair
RDE: *Arik Armstead
ER: Aaron Lynch; Eli Harold, Dekoda Watson & Pita Taumoepenu
SAM: Malcolm Smith
MIKE: Navarro Bowman
WILL: Reuben Foster; Ray-Ray Armstrong
RCB: Ahkello Witherspoon; Dontae Johnson
S/CB: Will Redmond; K'Waun Williams
LCB: Rashard Robinson
FS: Jimmie Ward; Lorenzo Jerome
SS: Jaquiski Tartt; Eric Reid

* Interior Rushers / ER = Edge Rushers

Because you left Ahmad off of your roster:

Originally posted by Lobo49er:
Because you left Ahmad off of your roster:

LMAO...you're the best!
Lol
SAMurai MIKE WILL drop his pants at halftime!
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:

Oh, nicely done.
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:

Share 49ersWebzone