LISTEN: 49ers Play It Smart on Day Two of the Draft →

There are 278 users in the forums

Sam, Mike & Will

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by Heroism:
Lol what? Are you just making stuff up to troll? The Mike is a hook/curl defender.

This isn't tampa 2.

Its a big part of Carrolls defense and I expect it to be a big part of ours. Smh
Originally posted by WolfTotem:
Originally posted by Niners99:
Originally posted by GMniner805:
I feel like the 49ers need some more depth at LB if Bowman, Foster and Armstrong go down what would the starting line up look like??

Brooks at sam
Smith at mike
Watson at will

No bueno.

lol so if 3 of our best players at a position go down, we'll be weak there? You dont say!

What if Hoyer, Barkley and Beathard go down? We'll literally have no QB...

Never heard of Nick Mullens?

My point is Bowman Foster and Armstrong are all coming off injuries, the 49ers should have some insurance for a worst case scenario like they faced in 2016.
[ Edited by GMniner805 on May 11, 2017 at 11:51 AM ]
Originally posted by NCommand:
We need a Frank Clark-type nickel edge rusher...someone who can rush effectively from both ends spots and up to 70% of the time. 2 would be nice.

Brooks?
Originally posted by GoldBlooded:
Originally posted by NCommand:
We need a Frank Clark-type nickel edge rusher...someone who can rush effectively from both ends spots and up to 70% of the time. 2 would be nice.

Brooks?

Maybe...seems like he's more of a bull rusher. Look to some of new ER's brought in from the draft...explosive, smaller, bendy, closing speed, instincts, timing, etc.
When it's all said and done we don't have and we don't need a 3 down SAM... To be honest you can make a case it's better to have more of a run defender and have someone in fresh on third downs to rush. Also, why are people pegging the TE responsibility to the SAM. If the TE goes up further than 7+ yards the responsibility would go the SS assuming it's a 2 WR set you would think right?
Originally posted by SmokeCrabtrees:
When it's all said and done we don't have and we don't need a 3 down SAM... To be honest you can make a case it's better to have more of a run defender and have someone in fresh on third downs to rush. Also, why are people pegging the TE responsibility to the SAM. If the TE goes up further than 7+ yards the responsibility would go the SS assuming it's a 2 WR set you would think right?

I don't think we have the personnel to have a 3 down Sam. I think thats pretty evident. Im fine with a rotation as well.

That fully depends on the defensive coverage and route by the TE. Cover 1, cover 2, cover 3 or cover 4 etc. Thats the only way to dictate what the coverage would actually be. But typically the Sam lines up a couple yards wide of the TE so that would typically be one of his first reads.
[ Edited by JBrack on May 11, 2017 at 2:04 PM ]
Originally posted by JBrack:

I don't think we have the personnel to have a 3 down Sam. I think thats pretty evident. Im fine with a rotation as well.

That fully depends on the defensive coverage and route by the TE. Cover 1, cover 2, cover 3 or cover 4 etc. Thats the only way to dictate what the coverage would actually be. But typically the Sam lines up a couple yards wide of the TE so that would typically be one of his first reads.

Right and I was making a case it mignbe MORE beneficial to have two different guys for the job instead of one. I'm talking base so guess I'm talking cover 3 more specifically. But I do understand where he lines up, if next thing you know he Jets up I think the SAM should have the right to play his area and stuff in front of him so more likely Rush or have the RB/FB responsibility.
[ Edited by SmokeCrabtrees on May 11, 2017 at 11:59 PM ]
  • thl408
Hold up. For the majority of the discussion this offeseason, we've been comparing the 49ers roster and position roles to what SEA does. Why are we talking about Mike's covering deep 1/3s and Cover2 in base personnel? I thought it was accepted that the 49ers would run a similar scheme to the seagulls based on the hiring of Saleh and what Kyle has said in interviews.
Right and I was making a case it mignbe MORE beneficial to have two different guys for the job instead of one. I'm talking base so guess I'm talking cover 2 more specifically. But I do understand where he lines up, if next thing you know he Jets up I think the SAM should have the right to play his area and stuff in front of him so more likely Rush or have the RB/FB responsibility.

Actually base would be cover 3

Well thats what they do, you are right. They play with their eyes looking at the QB's and they keep everything in front of them. So if they throw it to the RB the Sam then crashes down and attacks the underneath route.
Originally posted by thl408:
Hold up. For the majority of the discussion this offeseason, we've been comparing the 49ers roster and position roles to what SEA does. Why are we talking about Mike's covering deep 1/3s and Cover2 in base personnel? I thought it was accepted that the 49ers would run a similar scheme to the seagulls based on the hiring of Saleh and what Kyle has said in interviews.

Yeah, I think there's some confusion here. After the draft some of the guys on NFLN kept taking about how Lynch was trying to recreate his defense in Tampa Bay (Thomas = Sapp, Foster = Brooks).etc.. That was misleading as the 49ers are not playing a Tampa 2. They are playing a single high defense like what Carroll does in SEA and Quinn in ATL.

I agree, I don't think the SAM will be a 3-down player but it depends how the personnel shakes out. It wasn't a 3-down position in SEA or JAX, that I know.

I guess you don't know about the history of the tampa 2 and Pete Carroll? Under Monte Kiffen is where Pete learned the one gap scheme. Still to this day he implements most of the same philosophies.

Seattle still runs the same 2 deep safety look to this day on 3rd downs. They also play a lot of man defense on 3rd downs as well.

You act as if we play a cover 3 and thats it. Thats just not the case...
  • thl408

I guess you don't know about the history of the tampa 2 and Pete Carroll? Under Monte Kiffen is where Pete learned the one gap scheme. Still to this day he implements most of the same philosophies.

Seattle still runs the same 2 deep safety look to this day on 3rd downs. They also play a lot of man defense on 3rd downs as well.

You act as if we play a cover 3 and thats it. Thats just not the case...
Look up above where Smoke stated that, "I'm talking base so guess I'm talking cover 2 more specifically."

Let's stay on that point because that was what I was responding to. I'm aware Carroll is from Kiffen's coaching tree. They share the same principles of "4-3 with 3 deep shell". The way they go about it is different. Kiffen was Tampa2, Carroll is Cover3. I know Cover3 isn't all they'll play. I've watched lots of SEA film over the past seasons since they are in the division.
Confirmed that Jbrack is a troll.
Things I feel I can do in the Zone: Go toe to toe with genus and NY when debating about draft crushes (then proceed to have my dreams crushed and my soul ripped apart), Divide numbers and make pretty pictures, and occasionally make a funny post (however, most fail).

Things I don't feel I can do in the zone: Argue with thl about positional alignments in offensive and defensive football schemes.

Share 49ersWebzone