Rep the Red & Gold: Shop 49ers Gear →

There are 656 users in the forums

49ers Head Coach Kyle Shanahan Thread

Shop Find 49ers gear online

49ers Head Coach Kyle Shanahan Thread

Originally posted by Hoovtrain:
Originally posted by Hysterikal:
Originally posted by Jcool:

I normally don't believe anything Mike Silver says but since this confirms my bias I will believe this report.

Ha

Well this is pretty obvious though. If KS has 2-3 seasons where we miss the playoffs, then he's obviously going to be done. Which won't happen unless it's under some crazy circumstances.

I've seen enough from and him and Lynch where I can confidently say we will continue to be competitive. How they turned this team around wasn't by luck.

However, I agree with York here as well if the reports are true. We've wasted some money on guys and caved in. You don't want to low ball guys and have that reputation around the league (players/agents talk to each other) But we've definitely got taken advantage of a bit.
Originally posted by GoreGoreGore:
Originally posted by Hoovtrain:
Originally posted by Hysterikal:
Originally posted by Jcool:

I normally don't believe anything Mike Silver says but since this confirms my bias I will believe this report.

Ha

Well this is pretty obvious though. If KS has 2-3 seasons where we miss the playoffs, then he's obviously going to be done. Which won't happen unless it's under some crazy circumstances.

I've seen enough from and him and Lynch where I can confidently say we will continue to be competitive. How they turned this team around wasn't by luck.

However, I agree with York here as well if the reports are true. We've wasted some money on guys and caved in. You don't want to low ball guys and have that reputation around the league (players/agents talk to each other) But we've definitely got taken advantage of a bit.

I'm totally fine with this approach. I get that he should have input, but they pay their FO guys big bucks to scout players, pick players , negotiate contracts etc. Not a fan of when KS gets too involved in these aspects. There needs to be a common ground
Originally posted by Hoovtrain:
Originally posted by GoreGoreGore:
Originally posted by Hoovtrain:
Originally posted by Hysterikal:
Originally posted by Jcool:

I normally don't believe anything Mike Silver says but since this confirms my bias I will believe this report.

Ha

Well this is pretty obvious though. If KS has 2-3 seasons where we miss the playoffs, then he's obviously going to be done. Which won't happen unless it's under some crazy circumstances.

I've seen enough from and him and Lynch where I can confidently say we will continue to be competitive. How they turned this team around wasn't by luck.

However, I agree with York here as well if the reports are true. We've wasted some money on guys and caved in. You don't want to low ball guys and have that reputation around the league (players/agents talk to each other) But we've definitely got taken advantage of a bit.

I'm totally fine with this approach. I get that he should have input, but they pay their FO guys big bucks to scout players, pick players , negotiate contracts etc. Not a fan of when KS gets too involved in these aspects. There needs to be a common ground
I haven't read any of the article, but Kyle has said many times he leaves that/money to the money guys
Originally posted by Hoovtrain:
I'm totally fine with this approach. I get that he should have input, but they pay their FO guys big bucks to scout players, pick players , negotiate contracts etc. Not a fan of when KS gets too involved in these aspects. There needs to be a common ground

It'd be nice to have a real GM instead of an unaccountable quasi-GM in Marathe. This is a structural flaw in the organization and has been for many years in my opinion. Not only did it seem to prevent us from hiring GM targets in 17, but it also allowed Kyle and Lynch to have absurd leverage when they negotiated their initial contracts.
Originally posted by SmokeyJoe:
Originally posted by Hoovtrain:
I'm totally fine with this approach. I get that he should have input, but they pay their FO guys big bucks to scout players, pick players , negotiate contracts etc. Not a fan of when KS gets too involved in these aspects. There needs to be a common ground

It'd be nice to have a real GM instead of an unaccountable quasi-GM in Marathe. This is a structural flaw in the organization and has been for many years in my opinion. Not only did it seem to prevent us from hiring GM targets in 17, but it also allowed Kyle and Lynch to have absurd leverage when they negotiated their initial contracts.

Yeah I don't want a cap guy getting involved in football moves. I get annoyed seeing Eagles and Lions get their deals done so early in the process while we're back doing our negotiations through the media and stretching it out.

Don't recall which player it was(maybe Jimmie Ward) but I remember them throwing some shade at Paraag for making things tough.

Just like how coaches need to understand that different players may need to be coached differently(some do well with tough coaching, some don't) feels like Paraag and our cap guys need to understand which players may not respond well to the low ball start offer and break our tradition.

I do feel like Purdy is not a guy who would take it to heart.
Originally posted by genus49:
Yeah I don't want a cap guy getting involved in football moves. I get annoyed seeing Eagles and Lions get their deals done so early in the process while we're back doing our negotiations through the media and stretching it out.

Don't recall which player it was(maybe Jimmie Ward) but I remember them throwing some shade at Paraag for making things tough.

Just like how coaches need to understand that different players may need to be coached differently(some do well with tough coaching, some don't) feels like Paraag and our cap guys need to understand which players may not respond well to the low ball start offer and break our tradition.

I do feel like Purdy is not a guy who would take it to heart.

That's the thing. Paraag is clearly not just a cap guy and he's above the coach and 'GM' in the organizational hierarchy despite having a lesser title. Paraag is Jed's right hand man and has survived every regime change and will continue to do so for the foreseeable future.
[ Edited by SmokeyJoe on Mar 7, 2025 at 5:18 PM ]
this is an interesting read

https://www.49erswebzone.com/articles/189201-insider-sheds-light-philosophical-shanahan/
[ Edited by Sanfran_chrisco on Mar 7, 2025 at 7:24 PM ]
Originally posted by SmokeyJoe:
Originally posted by genus49:
Yeah I don't want a cap guy getting involved in football moves. I get annoyed seeing Eagles and Lions get their deals done so early in the process while we're back doing our negotiations through the media and stretching it out.

Don't recall which player it was(maybe Jimmie Ward) but I remember them throwing some shade at Paraag for making things tough.

Just like how coaches need to understand that different players may need to be coached differently(some do well with tough coaching, some don't) feels like Paraag and our cap guys need to understand which players may not respond well to the low ball start offer and break our tradition.

I do feel like Purdy is not a guy who would take it to heart.

That's the thing. Paraag is clearly not just a cap guy and he's above the coach and 'GM' in the organizational hierarchy despite having a lesser title. Paraag is Jed's right hand man and has survived every regime change and will continue to do so for the foreseeable future.

I don't like it either, but I can also understand having someone you can trust involved in the $. It's bad business but from a pure relationship standpoint it makes sense.

Hard to find people you trust.
  • Crown
  • Hall of Fame
  • Posts: 37,244
Sorry.

I am just not buying the rumours and alleged leaks.

If the niners are changing strategy so what? That doesn't mean a power struggle or FO Drama. Companies alter strategy all the time.

+ anyone who believe Mike Silver is getting bamboozled.
The more Kyle is focusing on scheme the better. I see nothing alarming about getting him out of contract negotiations. I don't necessarily think this is a shift in direction or a change in philosophy. The story is a nothing burger. Press looking to stir the pot while claiming there is no pot to stir.
There should be push and pull between ownership, the GM, and the coach. A little contention between the three is not a bad thing, but it is a fine line. I see silver's report as a positive - Kyle needs to stay out of negotiations. Saying publicly that he loves Brock, for instance, does not help the team negotiate Brock's contract. Telling Kyle to coach, John to gm, paraag to negotiate, and Jed to cut checks is exactly the structure the team needs.
  • Jcool
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 44,532
Originally posted by Crown:
Sorry.

I am just not buying the rumours and alleged leaks.

If the niners are changing strategy so what? That doesn't mean a power struggle or FO Drama. Companies alter strategy all the time.

+ anyone who believe Mike Silver is getting bamboozled.

If you actually read his article. It's pretty reasonable take on the situation.
My concern is any time the owner or non football guys start to take control away from the football guys things can unravel quick.

I 100% understand the frustration after last season when you not only have a poor result record wise but the big contracts you gave out that offseason almost all failed to produce. CMC, Trent and Aiyuk all played the holdout game and came in either injured or not playing up to their own standard.

The thing is it's a double edged sword. Kyle usually stays out of contract stuff but from
what we know the BA last minute move wasn't the first time. He did it before with Trent Williams almost ready to sign with the Chiefs before Kyle intervened last moment and we got the deal done.

I'm pretty sure nobody had a problem with that since we got several all pro seasons from him that saw us go to 2 straight NFCCG and a SB. And had we let him go to KC you KNOW people would've been bashing him big time for letting someone of his talent go, especially to the Chiefs and fans would be bashing us trading for him only to let him walk after a bad 2020 season.

Obviously it's easy to bash the Aiyuk deal when he came out and played poorly and then got injured and we didn't even have a winning season let alone make the playoffs.

Feels like if Paraag had his way Trent would've been a Chief and then wtf are we doing at LT?

As a team you want to have players good enough that they're eligible for market setting contracts. Obviously with the salary cap you can't retain them all…it's why they traded Buckner. So we do have examples of them making the tough call and losing talented players due to positional value.

But it's easy to have buyers remorse but just can't let one year cloud your judgment where you start moving your top players cuz you don't want to pay them market value and then a couple of tough drafts and you're looking at a roster dying for the type of player you traded.
  • Jcool
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 44,532
Originally posted by genus49:
My concern is any time the owner or non football guys start to take control away from the football guys things can unravel quick.

When has it ever been a good idea to have the coach be the GM? Kyle has proven to be bad at that side of things and Lynch has given in to him way to much because of the success Kyle has had & power he was given to get him to sign here. It can only help things to give some power back to the front office.
  • Crown
  • Hall of Fame
  • Posts: 37,244
Originally posted by Jcool:
Originally posted by Crown:
Sorry.

I am just not buying the rumours and alleged leaks.

If the niners are changing strategy so what? That doesn't mean a power struggle or FO Drama. Companies alter strategy all the time.

+ anyone who believe Mike Silver is getting bamboozled.

If you actually read his article. It's pretty reasonable take on the situation.

Reasonable? sure
Factual? sus
Open Menu Search Share 49ersWebzone