Rep the Red & Gold: Shop 49ers Gear →

There are 338 users in the forums

John Lynch - 49ers GM

Shop Find 49ers gear online
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
  • Posts: 67,113
Originally posted by Ottawa49er:
Originally posted by NYniner85:

I recall really hoping that we could have drafted Josh Sweat. He hasn't really panned out, but might be a decent rotational piece if the price was cheap?

Doesn't matter if Sweat only cost a 7th round pick, Cards aren't trading him in the NFCW.
Originally posted by Kolohe:
Originally posted by Ottawa49er:
Originally posted by NYniner85:

I recall really hoping that we could have drafted Josh Sweat. He hasn't really panned out, but might be a decent rotational piece if the price was cheap?

Doesn't matter if Sweat only cost a 7th round pick, Cards aren't trading him in the NFCW.
And he's expensive and their best pass rusher
What we giving up for Mack? That's the most likely trade
Originally posted by NYniner85:
What we giving up for Mack? That's the most likely trade

Day 3 pick at most. Certainly less that what they gave for Chase.
[ Edited by 9ers4eva on Oct 5, 2026 at 10:16 AM ]
Originally posted by Giedi:

I will agree on the fact that every draft is different and the coaching staff and particularly Kyle has a lot of input on the offensive side.

But I also think that things have been different since Adam Peter's left. For whatever reason, whether we've gotten over the Trey Lance disaster, or because John Lynch has taken more control since Adam left, there have been some strategic changes. Things like trading down instead of trading up, and an emphasis on great athleticism (example Enrique Cruz)

When you say *they* gave Saleh the 2025 draft, I agree with you, and I think they also gave the 2026 draft to Raheem. Matt Eberflus and Gus Bradley (i think) have been instrumental in those two drafts also. Halton, Ephiseians and Dugger, I think, are Raheem/Eberflus/KJ Wright picks. I think Kyle finally got the DC that he wanted all along and Raheem and Eberflus have changed the valuation of certain defensive positions.

I also like how they have built young depth even at QB and every other position (Rourk, James Thmpson, Sebastian Valdez) i think they really tried to bolster depth due to our Substation's annual required player sacrifices. All in all, I think Kyle has stepped back a bit from the draft and is trusting John more on his abilities to pick players for him. We'll see if John's contract is extended. 4-0 record, for now, shows the answer should be a big *yes!*

I personally don't think Lynch has any say whatsoever in the draft. Shanahan runs the show and all the picks go through him

Lynch is there to be a spokesperson
Originally posted by 9ers4eva:
Originally posted by NYniner85:
What we giving up for Mack? That's the most likely trade

Day 3 pick at most. Certainly less that what they gave for Chase.

For a 4th I would do it in a heartbeat but I feel he'll go for a 3rd, just because his production is good,
the Chargers will be taking on more dead cap than the new team needs to pay him, and there will likely be multiple suitors.

Perhaps a 4th + 5th for Mack + 6th?

EDIT: I just read that Mack almost retired this past offseason? If that's the case maybe he could be had for less than a 3rd since nobody should expect a comp pick with him.
[ Edited by Fanaticofnfl on Oct 5, 2026 at 10:47 AM ]

I was called many horrible things for suggesting this last week, but the idea seems to be picking up steam, though who knows how either FO actually feels about it.

I just don't think Watkins, Cowing, Cooks, or Pettis are the answer and a banged up Evans being our only viable WR is limiting the offense. Who knows what, if anything, we get from Stribling this year. A trade for a WR that knows the system would make a lot of sense.
Originally posted by 49ersRing:

I was called many horrible things for suggesting this last week, but the idea seems to be picking up steam, though who knows how either FO actually feels about it.

I just don't think Watkins, Cowing, Cooks, or Pettis are the answer and a banged up Evans being our only viable WR is limiting the offense. Who knows what, if anything, we get from Stribling this year. A trade for a WR that knows the system would make a lot of sense.

I just can't see the Vikings trading him to us for the reason why we wouldn't trade them Mac Jones:

We're literally the only undefeated NFC teams left
Originally posted by 49ersRing:

I was called many horrible things for suggesting this last week, but the idea seems to be picking up steam, though who knows how either FO actually feels about it.

I just don't think Watkins, Cowing, Cooks, or Pettis are the answer and a banged up Evans being our only viable WR is limiting the offense. Who knows what, if anything, we get from Stribling this year. A trade for a WR that knows the system would make a lot of sense.
This doesn't make it any better, there's no steam

JJ can't get any production on his new team and we need speed on ours to get past good defenders
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 34,531
Originally posted by Sask49erFan:
Originally posted by Giedi:

I will agree on the fact that every draft is different and the coaching staff and particularly Kyle has a lot of input on the offensive side.

But I also think that things have been different since Adam Peter's left. For whatever reason, whether we've gotten over the Trey Lance disaster, or because John Lynch has taken more control since Adam left, there have been some strategic changes. Things like trading down instead of trading up, and an emphasis on great athleticism (example Enrique Cruz)

When you say *they* gave Saleh the 2025 draft, I agree with you, and I think they also gave the 2026 draft to Raheem. Matt Eberflus and Gus Bradley (i think) have been instrumental in those two drafts also. Halton, Ephiseians and Dugger, I think, are Raheem/Eberflus/KJ Wright picks. I think Kyle finally got the DC that he wanted all along and Raheem and Eberflus have changed the valuation of certain defensive positions.

I also like how they have built young depth even at QB and every other position (Rourk, James Thmpson, Sebastian Valdez) i think they really tried to bolster depth due to our Substation's annual required player sacrifices. All in all, I think Kyle has stepped back a bit from the draft and is trusting John more on his abilities to pick players for him. We'll see if John's contract is extended. 4-0 record, for now, shows the answer should be a big *yes!*

I personally don't think Lynch has any say whatsoever in the draft. Shanahan runs the show and all the picks go through him

Lynch is there to be a spokesperson

Disagree, John is a hall of fame defensive back. It would be insane for Kyle not to take his defensive draft advice. He's been the GM now for almost a decade, he's picked up some stuff during his on the job training under Adam Peters. He was the one that spotted Patrick when Kyle didn't see him as an option in the draft.

It's a collaborative effort under John Lynch. He's not just a potted plant.

Quarterbacks coach Brian Griese and assistant Klay Kubiak, along with scout Steve Slowik and director of college scouting Tariq Ahmad, all had high opinions of Iowa State's Brock Purdy.
https://www.nbcsportsbayarea.com/nfl/san-francisco-49ers/how-shanahan-gave-lynch-confidence-purdy-would-succeed/1446995/
Originally posted by 9ers4eva:
Originally posted by NYniner85:
What we giving up for Mack? That's the most likely trade

Day 3 pick at most. Certainly less that what they gave for Chase.

Yeah I'd give a 5th. I can't see him going for more than that.

Not sure why people think Vita is still in play?
Originally posted by Fanaticofnfl:
Originally posted by 9ers4eva:
Originally posted by NYniner85:
What we giving up for Mack? That's the most likely trade

Day 3 pick at most. Certainly less that what they gave for Chase.

For a 4th I would do it in a heartbeat but I feel he'll go for a 3rd, just because his production is good,
the Chargers will be taking on more dead cap than the new team needs to pay him, and there will likely be multiple suitors.

Perhaps a 4th + 5th for Mack + 6th?

EDIT: I just read that Mack almost retired this past offseason? If that's the case maybe he could be had for less than a 3rd since nobody should expect a comp pick with him.

I mean his contract is 1 yr $18M and they would be saving $8M (or whatever that works out to as far as game played and stuff).

He's a half season rental regardless of where he goes…he's still decent, but not the dominant force he once was. I'd offer a 5th…possibly a conditional 4th. I can't see him going for more than that.
  • Cosmo
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 2,422
Originally posted by 49AllTheTime:
Originally posted by 49ersRing:

I was called many horrible things for suggesting this last week, but the idea seems to be picking up steam, though who knows how either FO actually feels about it.

I just don't think Watkins, Cowing, Cooks, or Pettis are the answer and a banged up Evans being our only viable WR is limiting the offense. Who knows what, if anything, we get from Stribling this year. A trade for a WR that knows the system would make a lot of sense.
This doesn't make it any better, there's no steam

JJ can't get any production on his new team and we need speed on ours to get past good defenders

His story is no different than Deebo's: Kyle's system made him what he was.
Originally posted by Cosmo:
Originally posted by 49AllTheTime:
Originally posted by 49ersRing:

I was called many horrible things for suggesting this last week, but the idea seems to be picking up steam, though who knows how either FO actually feels about it.

I just don't think Watkins, Cowing, Cooks, or Pettis are the answer and a banged up Evans being our only viable WR is limiting the offense. Who knows what, if anything, we get from Stribling this year. A trade for a WR that knows the system would make a lot of sense.
This doesn't make it any better, there's no steam

JJ can't get any production on his new team and we need speed on ours to get past good defenders

His story is no different than Deebo's: Kyle's system made him what he was.
Please don't compare JJ to Deebo
Originally posted by 49ersRing:

I was called many horrible things for suggesting this last week, but the idea seems to be picking up steam, though who knows how either FO actually feels about it.

I just don't think Watkins, Cowing, Cooks, or Pettis are the answer and a banged up Evans being our only viable WR is limiting the offense. Who knows what, if anything, we get from Stribling this year. A trade for a WR that knows the system would make a lot of sense.

He'd be a good big slot receiver for us. Would be even better if we trade for him before we face the Vikings in Mexico. :-)
Open Menu Search Share 49ersWebzone