There are 164 users in the forums

John Lynch - 49ers GM

Shop Find 49ers gear online
  • thl408
With Aiyuk starting to get revved up, bringing OBJ in could be a risk to stunt Aiyuk's growth. Just when Aiyuk is starting to get some targets, Kittle comes back, then OBJ is brought in - risky. OBJ has complained about lack of targets in the past.
Originally posted by Scooper1:
Originally posted by Aj_hwd954:
The fanbase wanted to trade Aiyuk just a week ago, now he's a star again because he put up 40 yards against the Bears? OBJ isn't washed, his QB just sucks.
You are speaking about the fan base. I never for an instant wanted to trade Brandon ayuik. He is still sitting in my fantasy roster. I don't think he can be a star because of a few catches in any game. I know he can be a star because I watched it last year with my own two eyes. Everyone wants these players to be on a linear trajectory to greatness immediately. These are people they will go through ruts which is exactly what is happening to Brandon. He will be a star. Odell had a few great years and an amazing catch that's now been replicated 100 times. He has done absolutely nothing in years. He is a locker room cancer and him and his dad are both f**king babies. Again hard pass we don't need him and his antics.

Lol a generational talent is a "locker room cancer" because the losing teams he plays on dont know how to utilize him?!?! I'm SHOCKED

the 49ers fanbase claims to hate the Yorks so much, and then they say things like this when a generational talent that this franchise was known for in their glory years because available. Baffled, absolutely baffled

LOL at him being considered a generational talent. That's Julio. Very good player with nice trajectory at one point sure, but I'd say generational talent is throwing the term around pretty loosely.

I can assure you if teams viewed him as generational the browns 100% would've got a trade done rather than having to cut him.

LOL generational talent. He's 5'11. He's not a burner. He's not good in the run game. He doesn't have nearly the ability to get in and out of his breaks after injuries.
Originally posted by FredFlintstone:
We have two potential stars on the roater. Obj is the opposite of vet leadership they need plus he's washed up. Hard pass.

The fanbase wanted to trade Aiyuk just a week ago, now he's a star again because he put up 40 yards against the Bears? OBJ isn't washed, his QB just sucks.

This, tf people crying over a low risk huge reward type player? Dude is only getting paid a mil not his 8 mil he was if he didn't restructure. The same people who says he's washed and he's a cancer will bi**h if he's in Seattle or LA looking like the NYG version and ripping Lynch.

Seattle's 3 spots higher on the waiver wire. If they want him, they'll easily get him before us.
Originally posted by thl408:
With Aiyuk starting to get revved up, bringing OBJ in could be a risk to stunt Aiyuk's growth. Just when Aiyuk is starting to get some targets, Kittle comes back, then OBJ is brought in - risky. OBJ has complained about lack of targets in the past.

All good WRs complain about not getting targeted, especially when you're losing football games. Does anyone remember Jerry Rice arguing with Steve Mariucci for not getting him more involved during blowout wins ? Aiyuk hasbeen a huge disappointment, last week was a step in the right direction, but keep it mind it was the Bears. Not even trying to get OBJ because the FO is putting its baskets into Aiyuk is pretty irresponsible, especially when this team is currently being crucified for not signing Brady in 2020
[ Edited by Aj_hwd954 on Nov 5, 2021 at 11:52 AM ]
  • GEEK
  • Veteran

We passed on OBJ before. We've passed on AB before. We've passed on other players that would erode the culture of the team. I rather let Aiyuk, Jennings, and others develop vs. dealing with OBJ culture clash.

He's talented, but not worth the noise.
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
Can the football gods shine on us once again!!! Actually just god.
You are speaking about the fan base. I never for an instant wanted to trade Brandon ayuik. He is still sitting in my fantasy roster. I don't think he can be a star because of a few catches in any game. I know he can be a star because I watched it last year with my own two eyes. Everyone wants these players to be on a linear trajectory to greatness immediately. These are people they will go through ruts which is exactly what is happening to Brandon. He will be a star. Odell had a few great years and an amazing catch that's now been replicated 100 times. He has done absolutely nothing in years. He is a locker room cancer and him and his dad are both f**king babies. Again hard pass we don't need him and his antics.

Lol a generational talent is a "locker room cancer" because the losing teams he plays on dont know how to utilize him?!?! I'm SHOCKED

the 49ers fanbase claims to hate the Yorks so much, and then they say things like this when a generational talent that this franchise was known for in their glory years because available. Baffled, absolutely baffled

LOL at him being considered a generational talent. That's Julio. Very good player with nice trajectory at one point sure, but I'd say generational talent is throwing the term around pretty loosely.
imagine believing a player isnt great because the team around him is complete garbage
Julio is awesome, but his situations and QB in Atlanta were wayyy better than the dumpster fire Giants and Browns. I know the Niners won't go after OBJ because, niners gonna niner. So not worth the energy

Imagine believing that not a single team in the nfl would trade anything for generational talent. When the team is willing to basically eat his salary. Eli Manning will be in the hall of fame. He did plenty of b***hing around Eli. The browns are better than the 49ers right now. He is in a better situation there than he would be here and he is whining enough his coach would not allow him at practice. Think about that. Maybe say it out loud to yourself.
If we get him I will cheer for him just like I did Richard Sherman, and I will hope to god I am completely wrong and he's a "generational talent" selected off the waiver wire…and I will eat plates full of crow, but I will not be holding my breath on that.

I can assure you if teams viewed him as generational the browns 100% would've got a trade done rather than having to cut him.

OBJ had a better start to his career than Julio and it's actually not even close.
Originally posted by GEEK:

We passed on OBJ before. We've passed on AB before. We've passed on other players that would erode the culture of the team. I rather let Aiyuk, Jennings, and others develop vs. dealing with OBJ culture clash.

We passed on OBJ because that idiot Gettleman wanted the 2nd overall pick which was Bosa and Buckner which was an easy no. They were interested in him but not for that ridiculous price. AB was an easy pass with the off the field and locker room issues

Originally posted by FredFlintstone:
Originally posted by GEEK:

We passed on OBJ because that idiot Gettleman wanted the 2nd overall pick which was Bosa and Buckner which was an easy no. They were interested in him but not for that ridiculous price. AB was an easy pass with the off the field and locker room issues

Understand Gettleman gets the last laugh. He destroyed the Browns with that trade. The Browns mistake was betting on OBJ.
Originally posted by Hysterikal:
OBJ had a better start to his career than Julio and it's actually not even close.

I agree 2014-16 he was a great player. Luckily when you throw around the word generational talent you take a players entire career and it isn't close. Julio is this generation generational talent.

I agree 2014-16 he was a great player. Luckily when you throw around the word generational talent you take a players entire career and it isn't close. Julio is this generation generational talent.

A player can have generational talent and have it lost in an instant (Saquan Barkley is heading that way). I don't think anyone is saying Julio isn't a phenomenal receiver and a generational one at that. OBJ came in with generational talent but due to injuries and possibly a bad offensive fit and a bad QB he is now just a receiver with name recognition. The tape and advanced stats says he is still getting open and we could benefit from that if we are serious about trying to get to the playoffs. Unless you actually think we are better having Sanu play instead of adding OBJ but I know you're smarter than that.

People may not agree but I think a good comp for Beckham is LeVeon Bell. Great start to the career but in both cases you can see cracks beneath the surface. They both appeared to be malcontents and not really team guys. They both really wanted their big deals and once they got them the wheels fell off. They collected the fat checks while the performance fell off a cliff. Going with this comparison the post Browns phase for Odell will go over about as well as the post Jets phase for Bell.
A player can have generational talent and have it lost in an instant (Saquan Barkley is heading that way). I don't think anyone is saying Julio isn't a phenomenal receiver and a generational one at that. OBJ came in with generational talent but due to injuries and possibly a bad offensive fit and a bad QB he is now just a receiver with name recognition. The tape and advanced stats says he is still getting open and we could benefit from that if we are serious about trying to get to the playoffs. Unless you actually think we are better having Sanu play instead of adding OBJ but I know you're smarter than that.
I can't disagree with what you're saying here. Part of being a generational talent is putting it all together though. Two teams have decided he wasn't worth the headache. He is on the waiver wire. He would likely be better than sanu. I still stand by the fact he isn't great for our young receivers. One of which we are just getting through work ethic/professionalism issues whatever you may call it. Again, if we get him I hope I am eating crow and he loves it here. I will not be crying if we don't go after him tho.
[ Edited by Scooper1 on Nov 5, 2021 at 12:19 PM ]
Share 49ersWebzone