LISTEN: 49ers Play It Smart On Day Two Of The Draft →

There are 270 users in the forums

John Lynch - 49ers GM

Shop Find 49ers gear online
  • dj43
Originally posted by KiwiM:
Interesting tidbits from this article

https://theathletic.com/452282/2018/07/30/as-49ers-and-levis-stadium-enter-the-college-football-spotlight-a-look-at-how-the-local-teams-stack-up/

"I saw him so much on tape, over and over," Lynch said of McGlinchey. "But one of the things that sold me: They were playing Stanford. I was on field in Notre Dame's end zone, and I watched him in pregame warmups.

"I watched how he did his job. It's almost like he played a game before he played the game. And that always stuck with me. Sometimes, little things differentiate these great players."

Lynch emphasized that he believes the 49ers operate differently than many teams when it comes to the machinations of their front office, even saying that the franchise earns a comparative edge here.

"First of all, you surround yourself with great people," Lynch said. "One of the big things when we came in here, we evaluated everything. One of the things we pride ourselves on with the Niners, my group, the front office, the scouting department, and the coaches, we really collaborate and work together.

"I don't know why but that doesn't happen everywhere, but that's where we can get an advantage, because we work together extremely well."

Given the fact Lynch had many opportunities during his broadcast career to see how other teams operate, that statement has some credibility.
I love a couple of things I'm seeing, one is how quickly we went from a collection of broken on draft day, slow, road grades, with no wide receiver talent to a perfectly scheming fit TEAM of fast, athletic player, with depth growing everywhere...in just two off seasons! What a turn around of the roster, we should see the dividends this season, through the emergence of previously unheard of star players, at multiple positions.
Originally posted by GolittaCamper:
I love a couple of things I'm seeing, one is how quickly we went from a collection of broken on draft day, slow, road grades, with no wide receiver talent to a perfectly scheming fit TEAM of fast, athletic player, with depth growing everywhere...in just two off seasons! What a turn around of the roster, we should see the dividends this season, through the emergence of previously unheard of star players, at multiple positions.

+1
Originally posted by NYniner85:
I'd throw a 1st rd pick for Mack in a heartbeat!

but as you said it's pointless to talk about it, no way they let him walk. zero chance.

Especially a team in the same market.
Originally posted by Bluesbro:
I'd throw a 1st rd pick for Mack in a heartbeat!

but as you said it's pointless to talk about it, no way they let him walk. zero chance.

Especially a team in the same market.

Only for like two more yrs right?
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by NinerBuff:
Originally posted by English:
Originally posted by dj43:
I hope you are correct about that. I would not be making a huge trade unless I was sure it would be the final piece...and we could live without a #1 draft pick next year and possibly the year after that.

The only position I would ever consider trading 2 first rounders for would be quarterback. If the Raiders wont take a 1st and say a 3rd, they can walk. This is still a rebuild.

I don't know English...

With Mack, Buckner, and Thomas, we'd have a stacked D-line. And Foster and Warner flying around behind them. I think we'd be very close to playoffs if not already there. We appear to have hit on two drafts in a row, so there aren't that many spots up for grabs in the next few years.

At a minimum, it's intriguing, but an exercise in futility. The Raiders won't let him walk. You don't let of of the top 5 best defenders in the game walk.

Well I'm still hopefull. Reggie White was like a shoe in to be signed by the Iggles. Everybody thought he'd be back with the Iggles until he signed with Green Bay. They came out of nowhere and got him. So it's a possiblity and I hope ShanaLynch is pursuing that possiblity appropriately. That *one* move got them a super bowl and multiple playoff appearances.
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by NinerBuff:
Originally posted by GolittaCamper:

+1

+1 + 1
Originally posted by Giedi:
Well I'm still hopefull. Reggie White was like a shoe in to be signed by the Iggles. Everybody thought he'd be back with the Iggles until he signed with Green Bay. They came out of nowhere and got him. So it's a possiblity and I hope ShanaLynch is pursuing that possiblity appropriately. That *one* move got them a super bowl and multiple playoff appearances.

Reggie was also 32 when he went to the Packers and it didn't involve a trade

I'm all for making it happen anyone that thinks it wouldn't be a smart move needs to rethink that comment...I will say I wouldn't be giving up multiple 1st rd picks for him either.

I'm all for making it happen anyone that thinks it wouldn't be a smart move needs to rethink that comment...I will say I wouldn't be giving up multiple 1st rd picks for him either.
I'll give up next years 1st for Mack in a heartbeat since I believe we'll be targeting a pass rusher in the 1st or 2nd. Plus I don't think we're picking top 15. If we were to add Mack we would have a potential stud at every level of our
Originally posted by FredFlintstone:

I'll give up next years 1st for Mack in a heartbeat since I believe we'll be targeting a pass rusher in the 1st or 2nd. Plus I don't think we're picking top 15. If we were to add Mack we would have a potential stud at every level of our

That sure is possible Fred, but i think that is only half what they would demand. Two #1s plus a #2 and who knows they may not even be happy with that. Mack is such a force i could see him bringing two#1s and two #2s, believe it or not. Now if Mr Mack says he isn't playing in Oakland again ever, well then, it Is possible they come to their senses. Raids aren't in a position where they can give away a guy like Mack. HEnce they retool and come up with something doable. Two #1s ? That is a big bite, but for Mack...i'd Do it . I just don't see him going for a single #1
Originally posted by pasodoc9er:
That sure is possible Fred, but i think that is only half what they would demand. Two #1s plus a #2 and who knows they may not even be happy with that. Mack is such a force i could see him bringing two#1s and two #2s, believe it or not. Now if Mr Mack says he isn't playing in Oakland again ever, well then, it Is possible they come to their senses. Raids aren't in a position where they can give away a guy like Mack. HEnce they retool and come up with something doable. Two #1s ? That is a big bite, but for Mack...i'd Do it . I just don't see him going for a single #1

Uh, not a chance. That is laughable for any position other than QB, and is probably too much for that even.
Uh, we shouldn't do anything with next year's picks with that loaded defensive class.

Mr Lynch do you want multiple championships or what?

Get Rashan Gary whatever it takes. We are in position to pick quality..

Foster behind Gary is a deadly combination. Get him Mr. Lynch and you can thank me some time in the future with some playoff tickets 🤪
[ Edited by Wu-5Rings on Aug 2, 2018 at 6:43 AM ]
Originally posted by Wu-5Rings:
Uh, we shouldn't do anything with next year's picks with that loaded defensive class.

Mr Lynch do you want multiple championships or what?

Get Rashan Gary whatever it takes. We are in position to pick quality..

Foster behind Gary is a deadly combination. Get him Mr. Lynch and you can thank me some time in the future with some playoff tickets 🤪

If Gary does good this year, we won't be able to get him. If we do we will be giving up more for an unproven player.

Or give up less for a proven DPOY?
Share 49ersWebzone