LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 250 users in the forums

49ers Week 12 2016 - Thoughts after rewatching the game...

Shop Find 49ers gear online
  • AZ9er
  • Veteran
Thanks Marvin for another great post!
Originally posted by TheWooLick:
Originally posted by NCommand:
Originally posted by Marvin49:
10) 5 more to go: Its kinda funny. The 49ers by record are a worse team this year than they were last year yet somehow I'm more positive about the teams direction than I was last year. Last year just seemed completely directionless with no hope whatsoever. Call me a homer but I see some direction this year. I see some pieces and I see some improvement in individual play even if the whole isn't putting it together into Ws.

This. Same here. This is what most reasonable fans said coming into the year...this year will not be measured by W's but installation of systems and progress within these new schemes. Many said, I don't care if we win or lose, just be competitive in every game and no 40-point blowouts and progress.

I think as we get closer to the end, we've found some nice additions who fit, some former players who made the transition, some individual growth and some players who clearly don't fit and/or didn't take that next step and they won't be back next year.

I have about 35-40 keepers (including ST and role players). We still have a long ways to go but it's nice to see this team not quitting and playing hard.

I expect to see the defense rankings improve slightly, the offense rankings improve greatly and a solid improvement in point differential.
We shall see if that happens.

Oh I think the defense will be significantly better with just health alone. Add a healthy Aaron Lynch, Glenn Dorsey, Ian Williams, Arik Armstead, Ray-Ray Armstrong, Navarro Bowman, Chris Davis or Will Redmond & Eric Reid plus don't forget how many games Robinson, Ward, Tartt, etc. have missed as well and that's night and day different from where we're at today. We all see how much just a 75% Dorsey is making. A healthy Dial/Jones at LDE for Armstead.

In the off season, add a quality veteran DC/scheme here and add a Garrett and a real ILB for depth or push-starter, and I think we could see a HUGE improvement.
Marvin, #10, "Last yr seemed totally directionless with nowhere to go". Yup, that is the gift that keeps on giving. ...contrarily of course. "It is the mistake that keeps on hurting". Sure we got creamed by having tomsul as HC last yr, and everybody bemoaned what a bad yr it was. Worse tho, was the rollover to this yr, when last yr's fiasco/abortion yielded a team that no FAs wanted to go near. In addtion, add HCs to that list....we were the last stop for Chip. Same can be said for DCs also. The tomsul yr just beat us over the head and now is continuing to show its effect. We were DIRECTIONLESS last yr, but I don't think many looked forward to this yr and the damage it caused us...in FA for sure, and with HCs, DCs...same thing. So when a young kid like Jed blows it like that...it just isn't one goof up. It keeps on going as the yrs roll by. That one move set us back more than 2015. It cratered us for this yr and will still be holdover in 2017, when our 2016 record looks like we are the equivalent of a Cleveland.

It does answer , however, just how bad an owner can be and how effectively bad he can be when he makes major league mistakes. It just has ramifications that cause misery for us yr after yr. Somebody please save us from Jed.
[ Edited by pasodoc9er on Nov 30, 2016 at 2:21 PM ]
Jones and Blair both played well.Jones was stout against the run.
10) 5 more to go: Its kinda funny. The 49ers by record are a worse team this year than they were last year yet somehow I'm more positive about the teams direction than I was last year. Last year just seemed completely directionless with no hope whatsoever. Call me a homer but I see some direction this year. I see some pieces and I see some improvement in individual play even if the whole isn't putting it together into Ws.

This. Same here. This is what most reasonable fans said coming into the year...this year will not be measured by W's but installation of systems and progress within these new schemes. Many said, I don't care if we win or lose, just be competitive in every game and no 40-point blowouts and progress.

I think as we get closer to the end, we've found some nice additions who fit, some former players who made the transition, some individual growth and some players who clearly don't fit and/or didn't take that next step and they won't be back next year.

I have about 35-40 keepers (including ST and role players). We still have a long ways to go but it's nice to see this team not quitting and playing hard.

I expect to see the defense rankings improve slightly, the offense rankings improve greatly and a solid improvement in point differential.

Oh I think the defense will be significantly better with just health alone. Add a healthy Aaron Lynch, Glenn Dorsey,Ian Williams, Arik Armstead, Ray-Ray Armstrong, Navarro Bowman, Chris Davis or Will Redmond & Eric Reid plus don't forget how many games Robinson, Ward, Tartt, etc. have missed as well and that's night and day different from where we're at today. We all see how much just a 75% Dorsey is making. A healthy Dial/Jones at LDE for Armstead.

In the off season, add a quality veteran DC/scheme here and add a Garrett and a real ILB for depth or push-starter, and I think we could see a HUGE improvement.

Isn't this the same thing you said last season?
Originally posted by Paul_Hofer:

Oh I think the defense will be significantly better with just health alone. Add a healthy Aaron Lynch, Glenn Dorsey,Ian Williams, Arik Armstead, Ray-Ray Armstrong, Navarro Bowman, Chris Davis or Will Redmond & Eric Reid plus don't forget how many games Robinson, Ward, Tartt, etc. have missed as well and that's night and day different from where we're at today. We all see how much just a 75% Dorsey is making. A healthy Dial/Jones at LDE for Armstead.

Is that a serious question in response to what he wrote...not to mention his point was without free agency or the draft? Dunno what to say.
Originally posted by Paul_Hofer:

Oh I think the defense will be significantly better with just health alone. Add a healthy Aaron Lynch, Glenn Dorsey, Ian Williams, Arik Armstead, Ray-Ray Armstrong, Navarro Bowman, Chris Davis or Will Redmond & Eric Reid plus don't forget how many games Robinson, Ward, Tartt, etc. have missed as well and that's night and day different from where we're at today. We all see how much just a 75% Dorsey is making; a healthy Dial/Jones at LDE for Armstead as well.

Um, did you see the list above? I was never a fan of losing Fangio/Donatell.

Obviously in pre season, any predictions are based on the caveat we don't lose 6+ starters from your 11 starters (and various others in/out of the lineup each week d/t more but less serious injuries that knock players out for multiple games). I was one of the few fans who felt we should probably stick with Mangini b/c despite the complicated schemes, he at least had the #1 defense at home (something to build on) with some obvious adversity (first-time young starters, key injuries/lost players, etc.). But Kelly went with O'Neil and we knew nothing about him...as it turned out, as a young DC, he still is learning our personnel today and happens to run a completely counter scheme to what our players were most familiar with from the previous year(s).

I.R.'s:
2015: Quinton Dial, Glenn Dorsey, Michael Wilhoite, Jimmie Ward, L.J. McCray, Jaquiski Tartt & Antoine Bethea
2016: See above.
[ Edited by NCommand on Dec 1, 2016 at 6:59 AM ]
Things that if you're a fan, you should know already. Its like talking to our moms, always gotta repeat ish on the reg.
I don't like the direction of this years team at all
how can u re-watch this game.. ughh.. we need pass rush and solid free agents to join our team.. i think we have a pretty solid roster, nothing too spectacular but its not as bad as people think.. look at the panthers.. they got playmakers and cant win

• Morgy
  • Hey bud, what’s your problem?
Did Marvin quit on us?
Originally posted by Morgan49:
Did Marvin quit on us?

Can you blame him after last weekend's game?
Originally posted by Morgan49:
Did Marvin quit on us?

Not really much to say other than this whole team is trash lol
Share 49ersWebzone