There are 349 users in the forums

49ers Week 12 2016 - Thoughts after rewatching the game...

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by thl408:
Dorsey was putting the MIA center on skates the whole game. He should be a high priority FA. In fact, get a deal done now before he hits the open market. I'm not trying to draft a rookie NT and expecting him to produce. It was interesting what Dorsey was doing in this game. Most 3-4 NTs are looking to two gap but Dorsey was firing upfield a number of times and was getting penetration.

Good call.
All good points.

On the offensive side, love the progress we're seeing from Vance McDonald and Carlos Hyde.. particularly in this system. This suits McDonald very well. Interested to see how Ellington would do in this system if healthy.

Even a few newbies showing some nice progress. Joshua Garnett is improving every week. Got a ways to go but I think he'll be a good one. Liked the way Rod Streater played when Patton went out. Still think we could improve that LG/C position but we'll see how it pans out through the rest of the year. Can't forget Kaep.. guys been playing a hell of a lot better. I have to believe Chip Kelly has a lot to do with that.

On the defensive side of the ball, Buckner had been strong through the past 4-5 weeks. I'll have to watch that tape again but based on memory, he might have been double teamed a lot vs. Miami. Even Eli Harold has shown improvement setting the edge and creating some pressure this past week. Albeit, against a backup tackle. Nonetheless, better than what we've seen. Rashard Robinson's athletic ability stands out. Made some nice plays vs. Miami. Glenn Dorsey needs to be re-signed. He was in the backfield ALOT this past week and has been strong for 3 weeks now. Still think Ward is better suited at FS but at least he's on the field. A healthy Lynch & Armstead would help this unit! Still not crazy about J O'Neill though.

Like where things are heading overall. No sense winning next week though if we can control it.
Forgot to mention, I agree on T. Brock. He's gotta go. Regardless of what PFF says, he has been toasted so many times this year. Why is he still starting?

The other player I've become very frustrated with.. Garrett Celek. Is that 3 fumbles on the year? WTF. Is Blake Bell that bad? I know he can't block for sh*t but neither can Celek. He was crushed on a number of plays. V-Mac is much better then the 2 of these guys.
Originally posted by lamontb:
For the love of god can we see Marcus Rush in the game

Nope. Baalke knows best
Originally posted by Joecool:
I'm getting sick and tired of Brock. Dude is good for 2 toasts per game.

Agreed. Him & Bethea need to sit to let some young guys get there shot on the field to see what we have
Anybody know what is going on with Bethea? I keep seeing him in what seems to be out of position, unable to change direction as quickly as it seemed like he used to, taking bad angles and too often having bad tackling technique. He had a bad injury and hasn't seemed the same since he came back from it - or is it more age catching up to him - or a combination of the two? Or is it maybe more about Bethea trying to make up for the really bad weakness at ILB and that hurts his play at safety? I would like to see Ward move to FS and Reid (who I hope comes back soon) move down to SS, but with Brock not playing particularly well, moving Ward would weaken the CB position even more.

That Kerley reception at the side line was probably one of the very best catches by a receiver this week. It's too bad it happened on a losing team that was losing another game because I think otherwise it would have gotten more recognition.

Edit: I must have been composing this post while tohara3 was posting his - I didn't see his comment on Bethea.
[ Edited by 49erphan on Nov 29, 2016 at 1:47 PM ]
Originally posted by LasVegasWally:
Dorsey was putting the MIA center on skates the whole game. He should be a high priority FA. In fact, get a deal done now before he hits the open market. I'm not trying to draft a rookie NT and expecting him to produce. It was interesting what Dorsey was doing in this game. Most 3-4 NTs are looking to two gap but Dorsey was firing upfield a number of times and was getting penetration.

Good call.

Totally agree. Run D much improved too with him in there.
The team lacks talent on both sides of the ball.

ILB- Bowman only NFL calibur LB. The rest is UDFA's, no wonder everyone is running up the middle all day on the Niners.

WR- What will it take for the Niners to get receiving threats so the defenses cannot clamp down knowing they are throwing less than 10 yards.

QB- what will it take to find a franchise qb. I see Carson Wentz and even with the Eagles losing you know he is doing a great job, knows the whole play book and the commander on the field. When I see Kaepernick I see a college qb looking to the side (along with 10 other players) to get the call from the sideline.

Pass Rush- why is Marcus Rush not active on game day??
Originally posted by 9erred:

ILB- Bowman only NFL calibur LB. The rest is UDFA's, no wonder everyone is running up the middle all day on the Niners.

WR- What will it take for the Niners to get receiving threats so the defenses cannot clamp down knowing they are throwing less than 10 yards.

QB- what will it take to find a franchise qb. I see Carson Wentz and even with the Eagles losing you know he is doing a great job, knows the whole play book and the commander on the field. When I see Kaepernick I see a college qb looking to the side (along with 10 other players) to get the call from the sideline.

Your last sentence with qbs looking to the sideline has nothing to do with him not knowing the offense, that's how chip runs his offense. He want looking to the sidelines when Jim was the HC.
  • thl408
I've seen JoN use many different fronts this season, but this is the first time I noticed the 3-4 NT one gapping. Most likely it's been going on all season, just didn't notice until now because Dorsey was flying into the backfield. He is clearly not two gapping in the plays below when the 49ers are in base 3-4.

All these plays are from the 1st quarter.
3-4 Under (NT shifted to the strongside, weakside DE inside of the Tackle): Dorsey playing 1tech. One gapping into the strongside A gap.

This looks like a 4-3 Over with Eli having his hand in the dirt. Again, Dorsey as a one gapping 1tech. Traditional 4-3 fronts are one gapping so this play isn't odd in any way.

49ers in a nickel front here so it's not odd that Dorsey (1tech) is one gapping. Just wanted to show more of Dorsey working that MIA center.

3-4 Under: Dorsey one gapping as a 1tech, busting into the backfield.

Just occurred to me that this is MIA's backup center. That kinda puts a damper on things. Would have meant more if that was Pouncey at center.

Originally posted by Joecool:
I'm getting sick and tired of Brock. Dude is good for 2 toasts per game.

Me too!
Originally posted by 9erred:

You sure about Wentz knowing the entire playbook? I'm not so sure he does. He has a great coaching staff spoon feeding him what they want him to do. Eagles may have their guy for the long term, but he still has a way to go.
I have to agree with the OP on this one. What has surprised me of late is the play of Colin Kaepernick over the last month and a half, all the while having a group of WR's that's borderline embarrassing. The only regret now is that Baalke, correctly at the time, renegotiated his deal to allow him an out. Next season somebody is going to have to QB this team and I'm confident a rookie probably shouldn't be there.

Obvious needs:
1. WR
2. OLB
3. QB (if CK stays)

We'll see what happens come draft time, but with this years crop of QB's having more questions than answers it might behoove the 49ers to try and trade back to grab more picks and a top WR/OLB later in round 1.
Originally posted by NYniner85:

Yup! Dorsey is a fine NT and it showed in the past (when healthy) after he was moved inside, I'm all for resigning him and drafted someone a little later. Purcell isn't a backup and needs to go.

How the hell do we go strength down the middle with Williams/DorseyBowman/Ray-Ray/Reid to Purcell/Bellore/Wilhoite/Bethea

...only now Dorsey is above 75% health.

Would have been fun with a healthy Armstead and Buckner all year too.
Originally posted by amosmac28:
All good points.

On the offensive side, love the progress we're seeing from Vance McDonald and Carlos Hyde.. particularly in this system. This suits McDonald very well. Interested to see how Ellington would do in this system if healthy.

Even a few newbies showing some nice progress. Joshua Garnett is improving every week. Got a ways to go but I think he'll be a good one. Liked the way Rod Streater played when Patton went out. Still think we could improve that LG/C position but we'll see how it pans out through the rest of the year. Can't forget Kaep.. guys been playing a hell of a lot better. I have to believe Chip Kelly has a lot to do with that.

On the defensive side of the ball, Buckner had been strong through the past 4-5 weeks. I'll have to watch that tape again but based on memory, he might have been double teamed a lot vs. Miami. Even Eli Harold has shown improvement setting the edge and creating some pressure this past week. Albeit, against a backup tackle. Nonetheless, better than what we've seen. Rashard Robinson's athletic ability stands out. Made some nice plays vs. Miami. Glenn Dorsey needs to be re-signed. He was in the backfield ALOT this past week and has been strong for 3 weeks now. Still think Ward is better suited at FS but at least he's on the field. A healthy Lynch & Armstead would help this unit! Still not crazy about J O'Neill though.

Like where things are heading overall. No sense winning next week though if we can control it.

Rarely read a post where I agree with everything. Well stated.
Share 49ersWebzone