LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 281 users in the forums

49ers Week 12 2016 - Thoughts after rewatching the game...

Shop Find 49ers gear online
1) Kap: Gotta give the guy some props. He's been playing well. I had all but written him off as done by seasons end but I'm starting to turn on that one.

Its a players option so he can leave if he wants but he might have a hard time getting the kind of money he's making now particularly with the off the field stuff thats going on. I still think they need to take a QB, but Kap has impressed me in recent weeks. Imagine if he actually had a few WRs out there.

2) McDonald: He always seems to be good for a drop or two, but he's starting to show why I never really lost faith in him. I always feared he's leave the way another high draft pick at TE who wore #89 in SF did. Wesley Walls. Walls just couldn't put it together in SF and they let him walk away...and then he became a monster. Vance needs to spend the entire offseason catching the football, but I like where he's headed.

3) Kerley: Dude flat makes plays. Keeper.

4) Kelly: I'm really on the fence over whether I want him to stay or go. We are just kinda starting to see what his offense can be and in recent weeks he's even slowed the pace a bit showing that he is capable of doing so. It seems there are plays out there to be made if there were a few better players out there on the offensive side of the ball. With so much $$$ in free agency it seems like the Niners could make a real push there. We'll see.

5) O'Neal: His D has started to play a bit better particularly vs the run, but I'm still not a fan. The Niners have some young talent there but they need a lot more. Defensive Free Agents are likely never going to see a Kelly coached team as a destination, so might be all about the draft on D and all about Free Agency on O.

6) Hyde: Nice to see him running hard again. He trucked that guy on the long run. Just wish he could stay healthy for 16 games.

7) Draft: Will the Browns win a damn game or 2? Please? I'm afraid the Bears are worse than the Niners and the Niners will break their losing streak this weekend. I want Myles Garrett. Buckner, a healthy Armstead, maybe a healthy Ian Williams with Garrett and Lynch on the outside and Bowman back in the middle and maybe a draft pick? Thats possibly the makings of a nice front 7.

8) Garnett: I'm starting to become a Garnett fan. I wasn't a big fan of moving him into the starting lineup only because I didn't think Tiller had played himself out of a job, but while I see Garnett make some mistakes I also see some of the reasons the Niners moved up to take him in round one. Will he fit any system? Dunno...but seems he is fitting this one pretty well.

9) OLB: Is there a more underperforming position on the Niners than OLB? WR is a close second but this is a big reason I want Garrett. I think he could be a great OLB. Eli and Tank are total disappointments. In Tanks case, I just think he's miscast. He needs to be a 4-3 DE somewhere. Eli just never gets home. He's improved vs the run, but he might as well not even be on the field rushing the passer.

10) 5 more to go: Its kinda funny. The 49ers by record are a worse team this year than they were last year yet somehow I'm more positive about the teams direction than I was last year. Last year just seemed completely directionless with no hope whatsoever. Call me a homer but I see some direction this year. I see some pieces and I see some improvement in individual play even if the whole isn't putting it together into Ws.
[ Edited by Marvin49 on Nov 29, 2016 at 10:40 AM ]
Originally posted by Marvin49:
10) 5 more to go: Its kinda funny. The 49ers by record are a worse team this year than they were last year yet somehow I'm more positive about the teams direction than I was last year. Last year just seemed completely directionless with no hope whatsoever. Call me a homer but I see some direction this year. I see some pieces and I see some improvement in individual play even if the whole isn't putting it together into Ws.

This. Same here. This is what most reasonable fans said coming into the year...this year will not be measured by W's but installation of systems and progress within these new schemes. Many said, I don't care if we win or lose, just be competitive in every game and no 40-point blowouts and progress.

I think as we get closer to the end, we've found some nice additions who fit, some former players who made the transition, some individual growth and some players who clearly don't fit and/or didn't take that next step and they won't be back next year.

I have about 35-40 keepers (including ST and role players). We still have a long ways to go but it's nice to see this team not quitting and playing hard.
Originally posted by NCommand:

This. Same here. This is what most reasonable fans said coming into the year...this year will not be measured by W's but installation of systems and progress within these new schemes. Many said, I don't care if we win or lose, just be competitive in every game and no 40-point blowouts and progress.

I think as we get closer to the end, we've found some nice additions who fit, some former players who made the transition, some individual growth and some players who clearly don't fit and/or didn't take that next step and they won't be back next year.

I have about 35-40 keepers (including ST and role players). We still have a long ways to go but it's nice to see this team not quitting and playing hard.

Well said.
Well said.

Thanks for these each week!
Nice write up as usual. My only beef with Kelly was the clock management in the 4th. They had no sense of urgency getting the plays in and up to the line. They could have had another minute at the end when we needed it.
I'm getting sick and tired of Brock. Dude is good for 2 toasts per game.
Marvin, what did you think about Tartt in his start of the season? I didnt really see him that much
Originally posted by Joecool:
I'm getting sick and tired of Brock. Dude is good for 2 toasts per game.

With butter and jelly
Fine post as always.

7) Draft: Will the Browns win a damn game or 2? Please? I'm afraid the Bears are worse than the Niners and the Niners will break their losing streak this weekend. I want Myles Garrett. Buckner, a healthy Armstead, maybe a healthy Ian Williams with Garrett and Lynch on the outside and Bowman back in the middle and maybe a draft pick? Thats possibly the makings of a nice front 7.

I'm w/you on Garrett!!!

I have this terrible feeling we'll beat the Bears and lose out on a potential franchise player who would be a real difference maker for years to come.

• thl408
Dorsey was putting the MIA center on skates the whole game. He should be a high priority FA. In fact, get a deal done now before he hits the open market. I'm not trying to draft a rookie NT and expecting him to produce. It was interesting what Dorsey was doing in this game. Most 3-4 NTs are looking to two gap but Dorsey was firing upfield a number of times and was getting penetration.
had me at Myles Garrett on our Defense
I really want Chip to stay at least one more year! I think the having consistency from year to year will really help out a young team like this and he has gotten the offense play a lot better than last year with not a whole lot more.

On defense I'm not happy with O'neil but he was definitely hurt a lot by injuries/suspension by losing 3 of the top 4 defensive players from last year and basically all of our playmakers from last year except for Ward. Ian and Bowman our great run stuffers from last year and Lynch our best pass rusher from last year. So its understandable that the defense is worse this year.

Since Bowman went down I basically gave up on expecting this team to win any games and its better for the draft if we loose. I'm just afraid that upper management will fire Chip cause the record is worse than last year even though our team is playing better as a whole this year (listen to Better rivals). I wonder if Chip needs to win 2 or 3 of our last few games to keep his job which would definitely eliminate us from getting Myles Garret :(
For the love of god can we see Marcus Rush in the game
Originally posted by thl408:
Dorsey was putting the MIA center on skates the whole game. He should be a high priority FA. In fact, get a deal done now before he hits the open market. I'm not trying to draft a rookie NT and expecting him to produce. It was interesting what Dorsey was doing in this game. Most 3-4 NTs are looking to two gap but Dorsey was firing upfield a number of times and was getting penetration.

Yup! Dorsey is a fine NT and it showed in the past (when healthy) after he was moved inside, I'm all for resigning him and drafted someone a little later. Purcell isn't a backup and needs to go.
Share 49ersWebzone