LISTEN: 49ers Play It Smart on Day Two of the Draft →

There are 334 users in the forums

49ers Week 9 2016 - Thoughts after rewatching the game...

Shop Find 49ers gear online
There have to be moves as soon as the season is over. If Baalke somehow stays the Yorks are clueless. I know I'm in the minority but I think Chip can turn this around. Find a new D-coordinator, and let Chip pick his QB.
//
Originally posted by SmokeCrabtrees:
Wow NC.. I wouldn't have even bothered. You were as fair as you can be explaining yourself, if you're a fan of this team and still cannot understand then I don't really know what to tell them.

It's like that ugly girl that thinks she knows best,has the best taste,if it's not fancy it's trashy and you really want to tell her stfu you're ugly and people think you're a fool..but you don't so they continue to go on barking for attention lol.

I think McClusky just joined late to the conversation and didn't understand my original point. He's a good dude and I respect his points a lot. Truly. Just...let it go. It's not like I'm not frustrated either, as a fan! I can't even genuinely evaluate this roster because everyone is in the f**king ice tub or done for the year.
Originally posted by RishikeshA:
There have to be moves as soon as the season is over. If Baalke somehow stays the Yorks are clueless. I know I'm in the minority but I think Chip can turn this around. Find a new D-coordinator, and let Chip pick his QB.
//

I don't think you're in the minority. I think Kelly can succeed IF he makes some minor adjustments. Truly. That and find a legit DC like Bowles. I'm with you. Finding a FQB, ZWR, ILB, OLB and NT is no easy task though. Every team is looking for that.
How does any of the past couple of pages relate to rewatching the game?
Originally posted by Matchuu84:
Originally posted by NCommand:
So a team that was #1 in defense at home last year under Mangini that added more talent in the off season now is on a historical bad pace...how does that happen?

Injuries and a s**tty scheme?

100% on the dc

S#!%%y scheme. Really, really, really, really s#!%%y scheme.

I'm so tired of the constantly changing style of play the Niners put on the field. Back in the 80s and early 90s we had a system that worked. We simply plugged players and coaches into that system, and it worked. Guys like Matt Cavanaugh had 300+ yard games in THOSE days, when it wasn't a 'thing'. It was all because of a system the franchise stuck to.

Fast forward through the 2000s and we brought in everyone from a washed up GM from UCLA to 3rd rate coaches, with multiple systems (like the brutal hatchling of the 'greatest show on turf'), but the only time we got back a shred of our former selves was when we brought back a highly modified (and blended) version of that earlier system. Sure our offensive style was quite different, but Harbaugh's system had its roots in the style of play of our old teams in the 80s.

Since then, we allow another coach to come in and toy with a gimmicky system that hurts defences. Is the Niner ownership this dense? How the heck can Green Bay, New England, and teams like Pittsburgh and Dallas continue to have all sorts of success (with the odd bad couple of years)? They maintained good systems, and plugged players in. NE runs a very similar system we used to have - highly modified 'West-Coast/high percentage' system. Only reason their backup QB looked so good this year (he'd be brutal in SF)... Heck, since Drew Bledsoe they've run the same system, pretty much. Seattle does the same.

Get back to the modified WCO system - like GB, Seattle, and NE run, and we'll be back competitive again. We'll also have an easier time finding free agents that fit our schemes.

Vent over.
How did GB, NE, Dallas, Pitts do it? They all have two things in common. Great owners, and great coaches/staffs. We have neither....and the ownership isn't getting any better.
Originally posted by pasodoc9er:
How did GB, NE, Dallas, Pitts do it? They all have two things in common. Great owners, and great coaches/staffs. We have neither....and the ownership isn't getting any better.

A great QB makes up for everything. All the teams mentioned have franchise QB's.
Originally posted by SmokeCrabtrees:
Wow NC.. I wouldn't have even bothered. You were as fair as you can be explaining yourself, if you're a fan of this team and still cannot understand then I don't really know what to tell them.

It's like that ugly girl that thinks she knows best,has the best taste,if it's not fancy it's trashy and you really want to tell her stfu you're ugly and people think you're a fool..but you don't so they continue to go on barking for attention lol.

Listen, NC is one of the most active and influential posters on this board. He posts as much content as anyone, and repeatedly posts it once he has completed an analysis. Why I get on him so much is because his analysis is always slanted to reach a specific answer rather than to look at the data, and come to a conclusion.

If you look at his posts there is a consistent slant to them both to over-emphasize the upside of the team in the offseason, and then catastrophize the unfortunate events that happen during the season as the reason why the team didn't live up to the potential he saw. I'm simply trying to be the mediating force that clarifies for other posters the inherent bias in the data he's using.

In this instance saying the team lost 6 of 11 starters to IR on defense is preposterous. Chris Davis played well in the offseason, and may have locked up the CB role, but he was a fringe roster player for most of his career, and clearly fell out of favor by weeks 4 and 5 since he simply was not playing, he played 2 snaps in 2 games! In the same breath he mentioned Will Redmond as a starter, despite most projections were for him to play nickel if he was healthy (NC's own posts from the offseason show this), thus undoing Chris Davis's potential hold on the nickel spot and still failing to get him to his 6 starter statement.

I don't mind NC, and there is some truth to some of the things he posts. Yes, the 49ers have had a rougher go of injuries in 2014 and 2016 than most teams. However, I don't want to see clearly false data in every thread. There is no way you can honestly say that the team is missing 6 of 11 starters.
[ Edited by McClusky on Nov 13, 2016 at 8:57 AM ]
Originally posted by RishikeshA:
A great QB makes up for everything. All the teams mentioned have franchise QB's.

A great QB helps...but imo it doesn't make up for everything... let's say Tom Brady started for us at the beginning of this season with the same exact roster, coaches, etc...how many wins do we have this season?? I'd say not a lot...maybe 4.. take a look at the year we were in the super bowl with harbs...we had a GREAT team, and that was without a GREAT QB... Lots of these GREAT QBs are great because of their environment. Just my opinion.
Originally posted by ReturningVet1968:

I'm so tired of the constantly changing style of play the Niners put on the field. Back in the 80s and early 90s we had a system that worked. We simply plugged players and coaches into that system, and it worked. Guys like Matt Cavanaugh had 300+ yard games in THOSE days, when it wasn't a 'thing'. It was all because of a system the franchise stuck to.

Fast forward through the 2000s and we brought in everyone from a washed up GM from UCLA to 3rd rate coaches, with multiple systems (like the brutal hatchling of the 'greatest show on turf'), but the only time we got back a shred of our former selves was when we brought back a highly modified (and blended) version of that earlier system. Sure our offensive style was quite different, but Harbaugh's system had its roots in the style of play of our old teams in the 80s.

Since then, we allow another coach to come in and toy with a gimmicky system that hurts defences. Is the Niner ownership this dense? How the heck can Green Bay, New England, and teams like Pittsburgh and Dallas continue to have all sorts of success (with the odd bad couple of years)? They maintained good systems, and plugged players in. NE runs a very similar system we used to have - highly modified 'West-Coast/high percentage' system. Only reason their backup QB looked so good this year (he'd be brutal in SF)... Heck, since Drew Bledsoe they've run the same system, pretty much. Seattle does the same.

Get back to the modified WCO system - like GB, Seattle, and NE run, and we'll be back competitive again. We'll also have an easier time finding free agents that fit our schemes.

Vent over.

Originally posted by NCommand:
Originally posted by ReturningVet1968:

Vent over.

I agree. The reason why is Baalke hates the WCO. Remember he is a Parcells disciple and Parcells was all about the power run game and play action. He said it himself when Tomsula took over. "We are going to run the ball". He has shot down both Holmgren and Shanahan twice. I would support a return to a modified WCO as you mentioned but its not going to happen until Baalke is fired.
Share 49ersWebzone