LISTEN: 49ers Play It Smart on Day Two of the Draft →

There are 207 users in the forums

49ers Week 9 2016 - Thoughts after rewatching the game...

Shop Find 49ers gear online
  • Goatie
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Kolohe:
Kap made some solid passes, showed good quick decision making at times. But it seemed like the whole offense started to get a bit inconsistent and deflated once Mike Davis fumbled....I really wish Baalke traded him for a 7th round pick or whatever. I can't believe how they mistreated DuJauan Harris the past few weeks, if anything he showed in the preseason that he belonged on the roster much more than Davis.

I am with you on Harris. He showed some real spark in his first game last year and then they seem to forget about him. Yesterday showed they can not afford to forget about him. He is a good RB to complement Hyde and mix it up with their different styles to wrong foot the opposition.

For me the jury is still out on Kap and this scheme. He has showed he is playing better than Gabbert but it is only his 3rd game back. He needs time to get his eye in, get his confidence up, learn the scheme so he can react to it without thinking, and get himself in his groove with the team. This could still happen. I have seen improvement since his first game back in over a year. It take time.

It also takes time to see if Chips scheme will work with this team. You cannot expect instant results immediately. I have seen gradual improvement in the offence with a big change in the OLIne to give our QBs more time in the pocket. If Chip's scheme is going to work it will work this way... The will be time where the guys are awkward and running into each other until it becomes natural. Then within a couple of games everything will click with the team and Chip will call more aggressive plays and we will turn around the rot. I think this will happen, if it is gonna happen, after about three more games. If not it will just be more of the same and then Management will have to reassess at the end of the season. And if the latter occurs then Baalke has to be pushed aside and a new GM has to rebuild, yet again.
Originally posted by Marvin49:
First off I have to apologize to anyone who actually cares if I post this every week for not posting last week. Rough week at work highlighted by the knowledge that my company has been acquired. Yay.

Anyway...

1) Kap: Some good throws, some bad throws. Bad reads and good reads. This will be his last year in SF. I think that was all but a forgone conclusion before Sunday but this pretty much cinched it for me. His numbers look pretty and he did make some good quick throws that turned into big gainers...but I don't think he's the guy. Again...not exactly an earth shattering revelation.

I think all he's doing is trying to look good to the rest of the league because he already knows the writing is on the wall.

2) McDonald: Maddening. The dude has so much athletic ability and should be a dominating player...but those hands drive me nuts. He needs to spend like 4 hours a day every day on the jugs machine. Speed, Size, Athletic ability....all there.

3) Harris: Carving himself a future in SF as a backup. I don't think Hyde will ever be a 16 game per season back and having serviceable players behind him is a must. Mike Davis has been disappointing.

4) Armstead: Shut him down. 1-7. No reason for him to risk greater injury.

5) O'Neal: Yeah. Done with him.

6) Baalke: I don't hate Baalke but as I said a few weeks ago, its time for him to go. They need another GM tho. No Kelly taking over the team. GOD no. That leads me to...

7) Kelly: 49ers are kinda stuck now. They really can't afford to fire Kelly and then pay Tomsula, Kelly, AND the new guy. If they don't like Kelly they need to hope Oregon comes calling. I have serious doubts right now with Kelly. He's better than Tomsula (not saying much) but I'm just not confident that his system is going to lead to wins in big numbers. He pops one here or there for big gainers when he catches the defense unaware, but against a disciplined defense, he will never IMO be prolific. Disciplined defenses don't make the mistakes Kellys O seems to rely on.

Just my opinion tho...I'm sure other will agree or disagree.

8) Buckner: I'm not calling him a bust, but I am disappointed in what I've seen so far. He just seems invisible out there and when I do see him he's making a move to the outside of an offensive lineman and the RB cuts right inside and past him untouched. Dunno how much of that is scheme as I don't know what they are asking of him, but he was the guy I really wanted in the draft and so far there hasn't been a lot to be excited about.

9) Draft: Damnit Browns, will ya just win a game or 2? :D

10) Half: Halfway there till this nightmare of a season is over and we can at least begin the process of possible hopefulness again.

Agree on Kaepernick, in spite of a decent stat line it is pretty obvious that he is not a QB you can build around. There are just too many flaws in his game.
Agree on MacDonald as well.
Harris clearly has some pop but he also has a penchant for putting the ball on the ground. There has to be a reason that he has failed to catch on with the other teams he has been with but he gives them a play maker which they sorely need.

I had hoped Armstead, Buckner and Dial would have a chance to show what they could do along the defensive line this year and maybe give the team something to build on but that hasn't really materialized. As the season goes on it becomes clearer and clearer that the team needs to find that disruptive edge player who can get pressure on the QB and help the rest of the line be more effective. the lack of a pass rush, among other things is just killing them. really surprised that they haven't brought up Marcus Rush. Wonder what the deal is with that. They have been so bad against the run I can't believe that they can be concerned about his shortcomings there. My word, how much worse could he he be. I think they have some players in the secondary who would be more effective if they had some help from the front seven. Still sorry that they let Garrison Smith go.

Time for Bethea to be moved out in favor of Tartt. He was a real asset his first year with the team and a big improvement over Whitner but he has looked like a liability much of this year.

On track for one of the worst defenses in the history of the NFL. Is it players or scheme, who knows, but O'Neil seems to be in over his head. Hoping that Jaguars will fire Bradley this year and that the team will make a play for him.

As for Kelly it seems as though there are elements of his scheme that are working if he just had the players to execute them. I think he deserves more time if for no other reason then they have to try and get some stability in the organization. The constant turnover of coaches is not helping them. I am probably the only poster in here who would have been willing to give Tomsula another year. As with every other position on the team I suspect there is a learning curve to being a head coach and Tomsula was making a pretty big jump. The real test for him would have been whether or not he would have had what it took to move on from his coordinators who I don't think were helping him much.

I really hope that the team will not make the same mistake they did last year by not playing some of the guys that have been sitting, just so they can see what they have to build with. Burbridge is someone I would like to see more of. Apart from the foul up on the punt a couple of weeks ago he has made some terrific plays on special teams and it would be interesting to see if that never say die attitude could translate to the rest of his game. Still hoping Patton will grow up a bit more. He is clearly a guy who wants to be good and wants to contribute but he can't seem to get out of his own way sometimes and plays with a little bit too much emotion. That new kid looked pretty good on kick returns, what was his name, Shepherd? Wonder if he can play corner. It seems like there is some real potential in the guys we have at that position, especially Robinson, but somebody needs to step up and really take hold of those spots.

I would have no problem with Baalke being moved out at the end of the year. He has had his moments and I want to see the same type of team that he does, power running game with a good defense, but his drafting has just set the team back too much and I think its time for a fresh set of eyes at that position
Originally posted by 49ers81:
Still sorry that they let Garrison Smith go.

Not sure if there was a preexisting condition but Garrison Smith is on the Hawks I.R. list.
I agree that we need to give chip Kelly some time, but I suspect Marvin is right about his offense. I don't think it stands up to the best defenses in this league. This has long been talk in the NFL, good defenses start to call out his plays before they're even run.

With that said, I'm not positive. Sadly, with some of the worst personnel we've had in years, Kelly has produced the best offense we've seen in a while.

Will it ever work consistently? I have my doubts, but I'm willing to wait and see.
Originally posted by Marvin49:
7) Kelly: 49ers are kinda stuck now. They really can't afford to fire Kelly and then pay Tomsula, Kelly, AND the new guy. If they don't like Kelly they need to hope Oregon comes calling. I have serious doubts right now with Kelly. He's better than Tomsula (not saying much) but I'm just not confident that his system is going to lead to wins in big numbers. He pops one here or there for big gainers when he catches the defense unaware, but against a disciplined defense, he will never IMO be prolific. Disciplined defenses don't make the mistakes Kellys O seems to rely on.

Just my opinion tho...I'm sure other will agree or disagree.

Is he? On offense he is, but on defense he isn't. And that's rather pathetic.

I'm all for moving on from Kelly if the new GM wants to hire his own HC. And the new GM better have the option to fire Kelly if he wants.
Originally posted by eforbes12:
I agree that we need to give chip Kelly some time, but I suspect Marvin is right about his offense. I don't think it stands up to the best defenses in this league. This has long been talk in the NFL, good defenses start to call out his plays before they're even run.

With that said, I'm not positive. Sadly, with some of the worst personnel we've had in years, Kelly has produced the best offense we've seen in a while.

Will it ever work consistently? I have my doubts, but I'm willing to wait and see.

Against one of the worst defenses in the league.
Originally posted by Allx9er:
Good read as always...

Season is toast

This
Originally posted by NCommand:
Originally posted by 49ers81:
Still sorry that they let Garrison Smith go.

Not sure if there was a preexisting condition but Garrison Smith is on the Hawks I.R. list.

Incredibly stupid.
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
How can you rewatch that?......

Right
Originally posted by 16to87:

Gotta disagree here. Yorks are making money hand over fist and coaches salaries don't count on the cap. They can hire and fire And pay for a new GM & coaching staff. The only thing that will keep them from doing that is their well known tight fisted nature. If Jed really cares and wants to fix the team and his rep, he needs to clean house and get some good NFL people in charge. The he needs to put the ledger book down and get out of the way.

Good thots 16to 87. Maybe, just maybe, if Jed realizes he has to get a HoFOps, and literally clean house (coaching staff and GM), maybe the thot of paying 3 HCs and 2 GMs all at the same time, that will put a big enough dent in his pocket book, that he finally will be forced to do the right thing. Keeping chip and Trent around is a bad move, and if he comes to that conclusion, maybe he will at long last accept the recommendations of a talented search committee, and choose a HoFOps from amongst their recommendations.

At some point, besides the ridiculous event of paying 3 HCs , and 2 GMs, it has got to be embarrassing going to the owners meeting where everyone there knows what Jed is having to do, and will have sit there while the whispers say that Jed is just a spoiled dumb kid and has no business being an owner. Wonder if they would bar him from the meeting for being such a fool...that might be a way for him to have to hire a HoFO, from a list of candidates given him by a committee.

If Chip stays and passes on college openings they will promote Gamble if Baalke is let go. That's the best Dork will do. IMO. He has proven over and over he will take the easy cheap way
[ Edited by Wisconsininer on Nov 9, 2016 at 5:41 AM ]
122nd
I think you guys need to review all the "disciplined" defenses that were schooled by chip when he was in Philadelphia, patriots in foxboro last year comes to mind last year.

Didn't realize sea, car, az, la, buf are all were undisciplined defenses? With the trash hes used this year and scored with relative ease.
The losses came from ST melt downs, and obvious problem at DC.
Attack his choices of DCs, the offense is fine
  • thl408
Originally posted by Matchuu84:
I think you guys need to review all the "disciplined" defenses that were schooled by chip when he was in Philadelphia, patriots in foxboro last year comes to mind last year.

Didn't realize sea, car, az, la, buf are all were undisciplined defenses? With the trash hes used this year and scored with relative ease.
The losses came from ST melt downs, and obvious problem at DC.
Attack his choices of DCs, the offense is fine

I remember watching that NE game when Chip was first hired as 49ers HC to see how well his offense did. It was bad. I think PHI got something like a pick6 and 2 ST touchdowns to win that game.

edit: just looked it up. PHI did get a pick6 and 2 ST touchdowns. Bradford's line was 14/24 120yds, 2td/0int. 128 yards rushing at 3.9 ypc. Maybe "bad" wasn't a good way to describe the offense that game, but I think that's a closer description than "schooled".
[ Edited by thl408 on Nov 9, 2016 at 1:09 PM ]
Originally posted by thl408:
I remember watching that NE game when Chip was first hired as 49ers HC to see how well his offense did. It was bad. I think PHI got something like a pick6 and 2 ST touchdowns to win that game.

edit: just looked it up. PHI did get a pick6 and 2 ST touchdowns. Bradford's line was 14/24 120yds, 2td/0int. 128 yards rushing at 3.9 ypc. Maybe "bad" wasn't a good way to describe the offense that game, but I think that's a closer description than "schooled".

Nit pick all you want, its near impossible to win @foxboro. People need to watch jags, houston, denver offense then start spouting crap about chip being figured out. Unless of course you think gabbert and off the street weapons is better talent than bortles/robinson semen/thomas/sanders osweiler/hopkins. Because we look much better on offense then they do
Share 49ersWebzone