LISTEN: 49ers Play It Smart on Day Two of the Draft →

There are 255 users in the forums

49ers Week 9 2016 - Thoughts after rewatching the game...

Shop Find 49ers gear online
ugh, he's not nit picking. you said chip's offense "schooled" the patriots in foxboro when it clearly didn't happen that way. it was the exact opposite of a schooling. stop trying to put lipstick on a pig to fit your agenda.
  • thl408
Originally posted by Matchuu84:
Originally posted by thl408:
I remember watching that NE game when Chip was first hired as 49ers HC to see how well his offense did. It was bad. I think PHI got something like a pick6 and 2 ST touchdowns to win that game.

edit: just looked it up. PHI did get a pick6 and 2 ST touchdowns. Bradford's line was 14/24 120yds, 2td/0int. 128 yards rushing at 3.9 ypc. Maybe "bad" wasn't a good way to describe the offense that game, but I think that's a closer description than "schooled".

Nit pick all you want, its near impossible to win @foxboro. People need to watch jags, houston, denver offense then start spouting crap about chip being figured out. Unless of course you think gabbert and off the street weapons is better talent than bortles/robinson semen/thomas/sanders osweiler/hopkins. Because we look much better on offense then they do

I wasn't talking about winning in Foxboro. We are talking about Chip's offense, correct? This is the statement I addressed in your post (the bolded):
I think you guys need to review all the "disciplined" defenses that were schooled by chip when he was in Philadelphia, patriots in foxboro last year comes to mind last year.

Didn't realize sea, car, az, la, buf are all were undisciplined defenses? With the trash hes used this year and scored with relative ease.
The losses came from ST melt downs, and obvious problem at DC.
Attack his choices of DCs, the offense is fine

What I took out of that bolded statement was Chip schooled the Patriots defense. Let me know if I interpreted that wrong, but those are your words, not mine. I don't even care if the Eagles won or lost. You said that Chip's offense schooled Belichick's defense.

So I said that I remember watching that game and that they benefited from 3 TDs that were not a result of their offense. Maybe you didn't watch that game, went straight to the boxscore, saw 35 points, and thought Chip's offense was schooling the Pats. It could be that our definition of the term "schooling" is different. But if 128 yards rushing, 120 yards passing, 6-14 3rd downs, is Chip schooling the Pats, then the 49ers offense this season is schooling defenses left and right (124 rush yds/190 passing average per game).

I get that you are providing a case for Chip's offense and how it is good, but using that NE game to support your case of how he has done well against disciplined defenses is not a good example.
Did someone say our offense is good? Koolade anyone?
Originally posted by Matchuu84:
Originally posted by thl408:
I remember watching that NE game when Chip was first hired as 49ers HC to see how well his offense did. It was bad. I think PHI got something like a pick6 and 2 ST touchdowns to win that game.

edit: just looked it up. PHI did get a pick6 and 2 ST touchdowns. Bradford's line was 14/24 120yds, 2td/0int. 128 yards rushing at 3.9 ypc. Maybe "bad" wasn't a good way to describe the offense that game, but I think that's a closer description than "schooled".

Nit pick all you want, its near impossible to win @foxboro. People need to watch jags, houston, denver offense then start spouting crap about chip being figured out. Unless of course you think gabbert and off the street weapons is better talent than bortles/robinson semen/thomas/sanders osweiler/hopkins. Because we look much better on offense then they do

14 points is schooling?
[ Edited by Paul_Hofer on Nov 9, 2016 at 4:39 PM ]
Originally posted by 16to87:
7) Kelly: 49ers are kinda stuck now. They really can't afford to fire Kelly and then pay Tomsula, Kelly, AND the new guy. If they don't like Kelly they need to hope Oregon comes calling. I have serious doubts right now with Kelly. He's better than Tomsula (not saying much) but I'm just not confident that his system is going to lead to wins in big numbers. He pops one here or there for big gainers when he catches the defense unaware, but against a disciplined defense, he will never IMO be prolific. Disciplined defenses don't make the mistakes Kellys O seems to rely on.

Gotta disagree here. Yorks are making money hand over fist and coaches salaries don't count on the cap. They can hire and fire And pay for a new GM & coaching staff. The only thing that will keep them from doing that is their well known tight fisted nature. If Jed really cares and wants to fix the team and his rep, he needs to clean house and get some good NFL people in charge. The he needs to put the ledger book down and get out of the way.

By saying they can't afford it, I didn't mean they don't have the money.

My point was that I have high doubts that they will pay 8 mil per year BEFORE they get to the contract of their new coach. I just don't see it.
The Yorks never seem to pay for much. They need to be Scrooged by a few ghosts before Christmas.
Until the pre game thread arrives for the Cardinals game I just wanna say lol at Bruce Arians for his reverse trolling on Kap.
Originally posted by Marvin49:
7) Kelly: 49ers are kinda stuck now. They really can't afford to fire Kelly and then pay Tomsula, Kelly, AND the new guy. If they don't like Kelly they need to hope Oregon comes calling. I have serious doubts right now with Kelly. He's better than Tomsula (not saying much) but I'm just not confident that his system is going to lead to wins in big numbers. He pops one here or there for big gainers when he catches the defense unaware, but against a disciplined defense, he will never IMO be prolific. Disciplined defenses don't make the mistakes Kellys O seems to rely on.

Gotta disagree here. Yorks are making money hand over fist and coaches salaries don't count on the cap. They can hire and fire And pay for a new GM & coaching staff. The only thing that will keep them from doing that is their well known tight fisted nature. If Jed really cares and wants to fix the team and his rep, he needs to clean house and get some good NFL people in charge. The he needs to put the ledger book down and get out of the way.

My point was that I have high doubts that they will pay 8 mil per year BEFORE they get to the contract of their new coach. I just don't see it.

And that , Marvin, is why I hope that Jed finally sees the the light and tries the HoFO route. ..At least one can always hope.
Originally posted by pasodoc9er:
Originally posted by Marvin49:

And that , Marvin, is why I hope that Jed finally sees the the light and tries the HoFO route. ..At least one can always hope.

Give the man a QB,offensive weapons and some pass rushers. Something another coach would require to be successful too. Then we'll further discuss if you're down.
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
Originally posted by SmokeCrabtrees:
Give the man a QB,offensive weapons and some pass rushers. Something another coach would require to be successful too. Then we'll further discuss if you're down.

Yeah, I agree. Give him some better talent and he'll probably have a better product on the field. Can't judge him with the current players on the team.
[ Edited by mayo49 on Nov 12, 2016 at 1:07 AM ]

Originally posted by mayo49:

Yeah, I agree. Give him some better talent and he'll probably have a better product on the field. Can't judge him with the current players on the team.

Agreed, until we have a FQB, ZWR, top ILB, NT and dominant edge rusher to compliment the current group of HEALTHY starters, it's not fair to fully judge Kelly...and really, O'Neil either (although he seems way in over his head). O'Neil is missing 6 of 11 starters to I.R. and only a few players are left healthy on defense through only 8 games (not sure even Fangio would be able to keep that unit competitive).
[ Edited by NCommand on Nov 12, 2016 at 9:48 AM ]
Originally posted by NCommand:
Originally posted by mayo49:

Agreed, until we have a FQB, ZWR, top ILB, NT and dominant edge rusher to compliment the current group of HEALTHY starters, it's not fair to fully judge Kelly...and really, O'Neil either (although he seems way in over his head). O'Neil is missing 6 of 11 starters to I.R. and only a few players are left healthy on defense through only 8 games (not sure even Fangio would be able to keep that unit competitive).

I don't subscribe to the myth that we were good before the injuries. We were losing, just not as bad. Unlike college, NFL teams don't run up scores. How bad the Niners are presently hasn't been fully tested. But, the Niners were looking to be worse than last year before Bowman's injury. No other injured player was making much of an impact when healthy.

Who exactly are these 6 of 11 starters on IR? I count Armstead, Williams, Armstrong, and Bowman. As usual your accounting on this one seems quite shady.
Originally posted by McClusky:

Who exactly are these 6 of 11 starters on IR? I count Armstead, Williams, Armstrong, and Bowman. As usual your accounting on this one seems quite shady.

Know your team.

Ian Williams, Arik Armstead, Ray-Ray Armstrong, Navarro Bowman, Chris Davis & Will Redmond.

All original starters or slated to be by now (Redmond) and far more talented than their fill ins.

Not making excuses for O'Neil but you can't lose these guys and replace them at this stage of the rebuild.

You can minimize that all you want too but that's just on the surface. To date, the only players who have been healthy on defense beyond these guys has been Wilhoite, Hodges, Bellore, Brock and Bethea.

Check the injury lists each week which always minimize the true severity of injuries for competition reasons. Typically if you're on it, you're hurting.

And we're only into 8 games.
[ Edited by NCommand on Nov 12, 2016 at 12:24 PM ]
Know your team.

Ian Williams, Arik Armstead, Ray-Ray Armstrong, Navarro Bowman, Chris Davis & Will Redmond.

All original starters or slated to be by now (Redmond) and far more talented than their fill ins.

Not making excuses for O'Neil but you can't lose these guys and replace them at this stage of the rebuild.

You can minimize that all you want too but that's just on the surface. To date, the only players who have been healthy on defense beyond these guys has been Wilhoite, Hodges, Borland, Brock and Bethea.

Check the injury lists each week which always minimize the true severity of injuries for competition reasons. Typically if you're on it, you're hurting.

And we're only into 8 games.

I do know the team, neither Chris Davis or Will Redmond were ever likely to be starters. Chris Davis was healthy until a few weeks ago and played 38 snaps. He's not a starter. Will Redmond was picked coming off an ACL and barely practiced, calling him a starter over a 1st round pick like Ward, or a long established team starter like Brock is absurd.

You need to dial back this ridiculous accounting style every once and awhile and your takes might actually stick for once.
Share 49ersWebzone