LISTEN: 49ers Play It Smart On Day Two Of The Draft →

There are 396 users in the forums

49ers Week 3 2016 - Thoughts after rewatching the game...

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by 49ers81:
Saw that Garrison Smith was in a few snaps. I really wish we had kept him as I think Purcell has sort of maxed out his level of play. He is OK and will occasionally show up in the stat line but I'm not sure he'll ever be a difference maker.

He was cut
Originally posted by eforbes12:
Most years I'd agree with you, but Gabbert is so bad that I can't blame him for wanting to run the ball on 1st and 2nd down. Good things rarely happen when we pass the ball.

I disagree only that while I agree Gabbert, imo, is not a franchise QB, I do believe he may be more than serviceable until we draft one. But I can't really tell because between the play calling and the lack of open receivers he is going to fail just like Kap was without an offensive line early last season.
If we continue to see the same thing from him and he isn't replaced by game 7 or 8 then I will know it's Kelly not adapting to the modern NFL and not passing on first down early in a game. I see a lot of Gabbert's passes being thrown to avoid an interception because the receiver hasn't separated themselves.
Originally posted by thl408:
Originally posted by Marvin49:
Ugg. MAN I hate Seattle.

3) Buckner: I have big hopes for him so don't get me wrong, but has he looked a bit invisible to you guys this season? I just haven't seen much from him. Now he's a 3-4 end so I realize he isn't going to pop on every play, but I just haven't seen much. I also realize he's young and learning on the job so I'm giving him a pass. Just wondering if anyone else is seeing what I am.
9) Murderers Row: OK. They are finally through the Murderers Row of front 7s. That is probably the worst 3 game stretch they'll see of defenses. The Cowboys and Cards will present their own challenges, but those were the best fronts they'll see all year (and they'll see 2 of them again). NOW I want to see if this O can get untracked. NOW I want to see if they can get this run game going and yes, I'd like to see a diff QB.
I thought DeFo had a bad game against the run. It seemed like SEA ran specifically at him. I saw him get blocked with TE on one play and that can't happen to a 290 pounder. SEA loves to go 3 WR to put the defense in nickel, then run against that.

That was such a back breaking drive when SEA overcame two offensive holding penalties to score a TD on their second drive of the game. For an OL that was supposed to be bad, they looked just fine. I would have liked to see the 49ers challenge the WRs more and put a safety over the top to discourage the deep throws. Maybe that was happening and the players just didn't execute.

The passing game needs to look functional against DAL next week. DAL has plenty of experience against Chip's offense so we'll see if he can add any wrinkles that make it less predictable.

Call it dumb blind faith, but I think this team is gonna look a lot better at home. Especially on the defensive end. That just seems to be our MO right now.

If we can get a win and be 2-2 after the first month, I will be feeling pretty good.
Originally posted by Niners816:
Call it dumb blind faith, but I think this team is gonna look a lot better at home. Especially on the defensive end. That just seems to be our MO right now.

If we can get a win and be 2-2 after the first month, I will be feeling pretty good.
That's a feeling I have to that I just can't shake. We'll see if it plays out that way.

I will forgive and forget this game as long as we beat the Cowboys I hate them so much. Wasn't expecting to beat the Seahawks at home anyway.

I truly hope you're right. I have to wonder if some of this is the road trip. Gettin back to some home cookin... I hope Chip has something up his sleeve. I just know he's better then this.
Originally posted by thl408:
Ugg. MAN I hate Seattle.

3) Buckner: I have big hopes for him so don't get me wrong, but has he looked a bit invisible to you guys this season? I just haven't seen much from him. Now he's a 3-4 end so I realize he isn't going to pop on every play, but I just haven't seen much. I also realize he's young and learning on the job so I'm giving him a pass. Just wondering if anyone else is seeing what I am.
9) Murderers Row: OK. They are finally through the Murderers Row of front 7s. That is probably the worst 3 game stretch they'll see of defenses. The Cowboys and Cards will present their own challenges, but those were the best fronts they'll see all year (and they'll see 2 of them again). NOW I want to see if this O can get untracked. NOW I want to see if they can get this run game going and yes, I'd like to see a diff QB.
I thought DeFo had a bad game against the run. It seemed like SEA ran specifically at him. I saw him get blocked with TE on one play and that can't happen to a 290 pounder. SEA loves to go 3 WR to put the defense in nickel, then run against that.

That was such a back breaking drive when SEA overcame two offensive holding penalties to score a TD on their second drive of the game. For an OL that was supposed to be bad, they looked just fine. I would have liked to see the 49ers challenge the WRs more and put a safety over the top to discourage the deep throws. Maybe that was happening and the players just didn't execute.

The passing game needs to look functional against DAL next week. DAL has plenty of experience against Chip's offense so we'll see if he can add any wrinkles that make it less predictable.

Great. Now we can play our way out of the #1 pick.
Originally posted by 951NINER:
Originally posted by 49ers81:
Saw that Garrison Smith was in a few snaps. I really wish we had kept him as I think Purcell has sort of maxed out his level of play. He is OK and will occasionally show up in the stat line but I'm not sure he'll ever be a difference maker.

He was cut

And what was it that line that suggested I thought otherwise?
Originally posted by Hitman49:
Sucks for Ward getting injured. But man, why is a starting corner playing ST in the first place? Goes to show the true lack of depth on this team.

Exactly!
Ugg. MAN I hate Seattle.

1) Gabbert: Really not much to say. Was Gabbert THE reason they lost? Nope. Did he do ANYTHING to prevent it from happening? Nope. League worst yards per completion.

This isn't all his fault. Not by a long shot. He doesn't really have many weapons...but he is SOOOO risk averse and so seldom lets plays develop that he is effectively completely inefective. I'll just leave it there. Not much else to say.

Tyrod Taylor's weapons
1. Lesean McCoy
2. Robert Woods
3. Walt Powell
4. Nick Oleary
5. Marquise Goodwin
6. One legged Sammy Watkins (DNP)

Joe Flaccos weapons
1. 37 year old Steve Smith (acl recovery)
2. 30 year old Mike Wallace
3. Dennis Pitta
4. Terrance West
5. Justin Forsett
6. Kamaar Aiken
7. Breshad Perriman (acl recovery)

Sam Bradfords weapons
1. Stephon Diggs
2. Kyle Rudolph
3. Adam Theilen WR
4. Rhett Elison TE
5. Jerick McKinnon
6. Matt Asiata

Cody Kesslers weapons
1. Isaiah Crowell
2. Duke Johnson Jr
3. Terrelle Pryor
4. Gary Barnidge
5. Ricardo Louis
6. Andrew Hawkins

Carson Wentzs weapons
1. Jordan Mathews
2. Darren Sproiles
3. Ryan Mathews
4. Dorial Green Beckham
5. Nelson Agholor
6. Garrett Celek

Phillip Rivers weapons
1. Travis Benjamin
2. Melvin Gordon
3. Hunter Henry
4. Tyrell Williams
5. Dontrelle Inman

Every single QB on this list other than Tyrod Taylor completed passes over 63%. Of those, three of them won and two of them lost in final minute on the road. Outside of McCoy I see 0 superstar weapons, with Jordan Mathews, Diggs, and Watkins being somewhat close.

Every single QB other than Bradford had completions longer than 20 yards. Three of them (Wentz, Rivers, Kessler) had completions over 40 yards. Case Keenum, as bad as he is and as bad as the Rams WR talent is, had a 43 yard TD pass and a 44 yard td pass. (Not in garbage time)

I understand Gabbert doesn't have a star or superstar WR. But if we did, would it matter? Do you think Gabbert could effectively get him the ball? I don't think so. His yards per attempt and completion percentage are embarrassing.

This ship has sailed. It's time to move on.

• thl408
Originally posted by vermonator:
Sucks for Ward getting injured. But man, why is a starting corner playing ST in the first place? Goes to show the true lack of depth on this team.

Exactly!

It's not that odd to play your good players on STs if they are the best players suited for the job. Antonio Brown and Patrick Peterson will return punts on occasion. When Ward went down without contact I thought the worst. Glad it's "only" a muscle injury.
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
Originally posted by vermonator:

Exactly!

He was running and untouched it could have happened at anytime.
It's not that I expected to win in Seattle. It's just that I didn't expect us to get murdered even worse than we did last year with Jim Tomsula at the helm.
  • zinn
  • Veteran
So now the Niners have two QB's they know are not NFL competent, probably three with Ponder who flashed in preseason but with a history of failure. With the season already looking shot to bits I think the focus should be on the Defense, pulling those kids together and finding out who can play or not. Offensively, Kelly needs to call a more wide open playbook. I don't care if receivers are open or not or the ball gets picked or not. Stretch the field with a lot more medium/deep throws and force defenders to cover more space. Offensively they look like they are playing in a phone booth..
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
What happen to Vance McDonald yesterday??
Share 49ersWebzone