LISTEN: Way Too Early 49ers Roster Prediction →

There are 169 users in the forums

2016 Week 2 Carolina Panthers coaches film analysis

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by thl408:
Originally posted by communist:
So, guys, would mind to mention players who stood out with a good or at least promising performance? Any word on AA and Buckner, respectively? players who sucked, save for Bethea?

I thought Tiller, Staley, and Brown had good games in pass protection. For defense, I thought Brock did well. The one catch by Ginn was an amazing throw with Brock on him step for step. All OLBs were subpar. I don't generally watch individual players so unless they really stood out positively/negatively, I won't notice them.

How's Bow looking two years removed from the gruesome knee injury. I see him flash, but is he resembling anything like the uber LB he was pre injury. I know he had numbers last year but how has his coverage been.
jonnydel & thl, thanks so much for all of this. Didn't pay much attention to what you did last year as it was all to painful. Confirms what I've been seeing but figured it was just my cockeyed optimism getting the better of me.
Great work, and know how much this is appreciated.
  • thl408
Originally posted by Niners816:
How's Bow looking two years removed from the gruesome knee injury. I see him flash, but is he resembling anything like the uber LB he was pre injury. I know he had numbers last year but how has his coverage been.

There are big differences from present Bow compared to pre-injury Bow and it doesn't have to do with Bow. Losing stud DEs in RayMac and Justin (and Willis) has really affected how Bow plays the run. He has always been good diagnosing plays and blowing it up, but he hasn't been kept clean as in years past. He seems quick and agile, so in a vacuum, I think he's back to pre-injury Bow, but his supporting cast is night and day from 2013. Regarding pass coverage I think we'll have a better idea after the ARI/NO games.
There are big differences from present Bow compared to pre-injury Bow and it doesn't have to do with Bow. Losing stud DEs in RayMac and Justin (and Willis) has really affected how Bow plays the run. He has always been good diagnosing plays and blowing it up, but he hasn't been kept clean as in years past. He seems quick and agile, so in a vacuum, I think he's back to pre-injury Bow, but his supporting cast is night and day from 2013. Regarding pass coverage I think we'll have a better idea after the ARI/NO games.

Thanks.....his injury in the 2013 NFC title game was almost like a microcosm of the deterioration of the team. I'm serious in saying that my last really good memory of the niners was his pick to close up the stick vs Atl.
  • thl408
This should have been a highlight.

(inverted) Smash Divide vs Cover6
The Divide route (yellow) is designed to split a two safety shell. The seam is down the middle.

Gabbert completes his drop and waits for the route combination to develop. Notice the Quarters safety has much less depth than the Cover2 safety. This exposes a larger seam down the middle of the field.

Purple and red vertically stretch the Flat defender (orange). Yellow and red horizontally stretch the Cover2 safety (blue). Gabbert is mid windup. Good anticipation of Vance about to get open.

Damn it Vance, get it together.

The Divide route (yellow) is designed to split a two safety shell. The seam is down the middle.

Gabbert completes his drop and waits for the route combination to develop. Notice the Quarters safety has much less depth than the Cover2 safety. This exposes a larger seam down the middle of the field.

Purple and red vertically stretch the Flat defender (orange). Yellow and red horizontally stretch the Cover2 safety (blue). Gabbert is mid windup. Good anticipation of Vance about to get open.

Could have laid our for that. Too many guys want to run before they catch. And what's the deal with some guys taking one hand off the ball when they are going to the ground. Woosies as far as I'm concerned and a good way to jam a shoulder, break a wrist or finger. Took a little bit of judo as an eight grader and learned how to fall, made me a better receiver later. Again Mac, not a natural pass catcher.
I know jonnydel broke this play down, but I also had it cut up and wanted to show how it was a very good route combination given the coverage call and how Gabbert didn't give this play a chance.

CAR shows pressure presnap, but will back off at the snap to play Cover 2 Zone. It looks odd because it's in the red zone and everything is condensed, but it is Cover 2 Zone. The two "deep" safeties are highlighted in blue.
The yellow, orange, and green routes are designed to bust two Cover2 safeties with a horizontal stretch. As the play unfolds, jonny showed how Patton came open.

Gabbert looks to the Smash and it's covered. His next progression should be to move to his left. If the safety covers the Corner (yellow), then who is covering Patton? It's not the other safety because the other safety is covering the green route. It's basically three routes attacking two defenders. Since none of the LBs in the middle of the field gain depth, Patton is uncovered.

Gabbert has a nice pocket but hears ghost and bails out of the pocket for no reason. The moment Patton puts his arm in the air to say "I'm open" is the exact moment Gabbert starts to evade phantom pressure. If Gabbert sticks to his progression, there is a window to hit Patton. That's as big a window as you're going to get versus CAR zone coverage in the red zone.

Gabbert sees dead people.

Could have had a TD to open the game.

kap has done this exact same thing before as well. this is why we need a real QB....
Originally posted by jonnydel:
So, if you look at the above plays, there does seem to be a disconnect on the depth of the route - on the incompletion, Kerley breaks at 7 yards and then drifts back to 9-10 yards. He should break at 7 and either square it off or come back slightly. This is one of the problems with this next play, inconsistent route running.

So, we're going to come out in the same formation as the switch verts and run a variation off this play. We're going to show switch verts but then Patton is gonna hook his route short.

You see Carolina is running a cover 4 look on this side, which defeats the switch verticals and the other side of the field is triple covered.

Gabbert is reading #24, he appears to be playing in between the outside and the inside routes so he takes the inside route as it's the shorter throw(I think). Based off of #24, it's not a terrible throw. The problem is that the route combo is so similar to the switch verts that we ran twice before Keuchly immediately recognizes it and starts to break on the route. Notice Kerley breaks at 7 yards - like he's supposed to.

He then drifts again after his break to a depth of 11 yards. You never, never, never want to drift on a curl/out route. If anything, come back to the ball and help your QB out. If you've ever played WR, or any receiver of any kind you've almost surely been taught, come back to the ball on those, don't let that ball hang out there. Because he drifts, it allows Keuchly to under-cut the pass. I think #24 was expecting that route as well as he jumps on the route too. Patton looks really open here, but it's only because the pass has already been thrown so the underneath defender is jumping the route. In theory, Kerley's route is the right throw against a cover 4. You should have a soft spot between the middle and outside underneath defenders. Carolina just expects this route and jumps it.

The pass is intercepted at a depth of 10 yards. If he really breaks that route off at 7, this probably isn't picked off - at worst it'd be an incompletion.

I think this has a lot to do with some of Gabberts bad passes. Chip even mentions it in his presser today.

With that said, where did QB Blaine Gabbert kind of run into some issues in his first two games?

"Again, I think it's not always the quarterback. And I try to say that not to take pressure off of Blaine, but just because that's the case. We had one in the preseason game and he's like, 'Well, it was a bad pass to the running back.' Well, the running back is supposed to run a flat route and the running back didn't run a flat route. So, the quarterback looks like he's very inaccurate on the throw, but it's not the quarterback's fault. He's expecting the running back to go up three yards, plant and drive to the sideline at five yards and deliver the ball on time there. When the running back runs the wrong route everybody looks at it and says, 'What a bad throw by the quarterback.' Well, sometimes it's not the quarterback's fault. It's a combination of everything. Or the quarterback gets put off his launch point because we missed something in protection. We had a play the other night when we had everything blocked up well, but the three-technique just beat our guard and was in the quarterback's face before he had an opportunity to throw the ball. Now, that's not the quarterback's fault, but that's what he has to deal with. There's a lot that's involved in all of that and I think being good in the passing game on the offensive side of the ball takes all 11 guys. It doesn't just take a quarterback that's an accurate guy because if you can't protect him he's not going to be very active. Or, if your receivers and the quarterback aren't on the same page, you're not going to be very accurate."
Here was an example of bad laundry on the field - not sure how the refs call Tiller for a hold - this was big because it was on a 3rd and 5 in 4 down territory late in the game.

Super late flag and to me it doesn't look like Tiller does anything to cause a hold

It actually doesn't look like Tiller does anything, period .. lol. Tried to block two different guys and ended up blocking no one.
Originally posted by Bluesbro:
Here was an example of bad laundry on the field - not sure how the refs call Tiller for a hold - this was big because it was on a 3rd and 5 in 4 down territory late in the game.

Super late flag and to me it doesn't look like Tiller does anything to cause a hold

It actually doesn't look like Tiller does anything, period .. lol. Tried to block two different guys and ended up blocking no one.

He might've grabbed the defenders shoulder/jersey. You can see his left shoulder pulled back as he goes past Tiller. I think it's correct call by the official who was standing at a clear view.

It's never the right call when it's against the Niners doe
[ Edited by qnnhan7 on Sep 21, 2016 at 8:05 PM ]

Man Vance always finds a way to get open.

That's a big boy throw right there. At the end of the day, it just counts against his completion % but that's why these threads are gold.

The thing that stood out most to me is how Kelly highlighted the offense as multiplicited. Last game he noted one of the two penalties was his fault. This game he recognized he should have passed more on first downs to set up the run. He also noted the depth of receivers, incorrect routes, lack of chemistry, etc.

As fans it's easier to just say, "47% sucks" and move on.

But right now, we're seeing an evolution of an offense in its early stages facing two of the best...now three...in football.

We're seeing moments of brilliance followed by head scratchers.

And Chip is evolving right there along with Blaine and all the offensive parts.

I don't expect to see this offense clicking for a long time, if ever, on a consistent basis. Week 10+?

As fans, we need to remember that Kelly is evaluating himself, his QB and everyone else on the offense in a different manner. These film threads help a ton in catching a glimpse into what Kelly and his coaching staff are seeing and what their evaluation might be.

So "47% sucks" won't apply to their evaluation in full context. They'll have a completely different grading system and for all we know, Blaine had a fine game. And games where we thought he did well, he could be evaluated poorly by his coaches. We need to remember that.
[ Edited by NCommand on Sep 22, 2016 at 8:02 AM ]
Originally posted by northoakland510:

He's probably the most consistent at getting open of all our receivers.
Originally posted by NCommand:

needs more targets (decent Targets)
Originally posted by 49AllTheTime:
Originally posted by NCommand:

needs more targets (decent Targets)

Asking him to primarily block for three quarters and then make big plays in the receiving game in the fourth quarter for two straight games probably isn't fair. He's done it but did it cold.

Kelly and his staff absolutely need to see what a mismatch he is over Celek (odd) and get him involved early and often. He'll also pull more of the front 7 out of the box. Plus he and Blaine already have excellent chemistry.

Celek is an excellent blocker so use him that way and use him in the passing game in the RZ.

I think Kelly is still figuring out our personnel.
[ Edited by NCommand on Sep 22, 2016 at 8:41 AM ]
Share 49ersWebzone