There are 119 users in the forums

2016 Week 2 Carolina Panthers coaches film analysis

Shop Find 49ers gear online
  • thl408
When the 49ers played CLE last season, JoN showed various fronts all game long. These plays below are all from the 1st quarter.

Just looking at the 3 DL, here is the standard 3-4 Okie front with a 4-0-4 technique.

This is a Bear front with both Guards covered. This is done to combat the run game between the tackles.

This is the front I saw a lot of in the Rams game. Not sure how often it showed up in this game. The Center and only one of the Guards is covered, also used to prevent between the tackles running. Sure enough, most of CAR's big gains in the run game were outside the tackles.
  • fan49
  • Veteran
Originally posted by jonnydel:
Originally posted by Izyniner:
I understand the microscopic critiquing but there also needs some context. To the facts that this is a new team with new coaches, new schemes, new players. Yet some expectations are that of a team that has been running the same system for years. Give it some time. The receiver are getting open the defense is showing life. When it all comes together it is going to be fun to watch. RELAX 😁

Haha, alright Aaron Rodgers...lol

I do understand your point - but, this is the webzone and, at least from my perspective, it's difficult because if you excuse a missed throw or read or seem to be too harsh on a missed play or give too much credit on way or another you're gonna get slammed as either being all over Gabbert's nuts or hating the guy and everyone in the organization.

I try and provide the best analysis I can and try not to be biased. But, it's football and football is an emotional game and we love our niners!!!!

no. hes right. Remember when peyton went to denver, and they switched his offense? He flat out sucked.... So they switched back to hs offenses... yet we expect gabbert to completely own this offense weeks 1 and 2....
Originally posted by thl408:
When the 49ers played CLE last season, JoN showed various fronts all game long. These plays below are all from the 1st quarter.

Just looking at the 3 DL, here is the standard 3-4 Okie front with a 4-0-4 technique.

This is a Bear front with both Guards covered. This is done to combat the run game between the tackles.

This is the front I saw a lot of in the Rams game. Not sure how often it showed up in this game. The Center and only one of the Guards is covered, also used to prevent between the tackles running. Sure enough, most of CAR's big gains in the run game were outside the tackles.

Great snapshot of the different fronts - I always called "okie" "even". It helped me because the alignments were all even numbers and balanced :)
Originally posted by fan49:
no. hes right. Remember when peyton went to denver, and they switched his offense? He flat out sucked.... So they switched back to hs offenses... yet we expect gabbert to completely own this offense weeks 1 and 2....

Gabbert owns the offense, his throwing is the issue.
Originally posted by northoakland510:

I think there is something to learning a new offense. While he was never lights out, in 2/3 first games Mike Vick played in Kelly's offense his completion % was 51.8 and 45.9.

While that's not necessarily a good omen for Gabs, Vick's career numbers were always better than that. So, sometimes it takes a while for QB's to get used to new systems.

In 2015 in his first year under Adam Gase, Jay Cutler only completed 50% of his passes opening day, then didn't finish the 2nd game

Sam Bradford's first 4 games under Kelly(which Bradford was just valued as a franchise QB contract and also valued as a 1st round trade value)

He had two games at or near 50%

It takes time and even guys who are seen as great throwers of the ball can see numbers sink when changing systems.
I think there is something to learning a new offense. While he was never lights out, in 2/3 first games Mike Vick played in Kelly's offense his completion % was 51.8 and 45.9.

While that's not necessarily a good omen for Gabs, Vick's career numbers were always better than that. So, sometimes it takes a while for QB's to get used to new systems.

In 2015 in his first year under Adam Gase, Jay Cutler only completed 50% of his passes opening day, then didn't finish the 2nd game

Sam Bradford's first 4 games under Kelly(which Bradford was just valued as a franchise QB contract and also valued as a 1st round trade value)

It takes time and even guys who are seen as great throwers of the ball can see numbers sink when changing systems.

Johnnydel I know you watch all the tape and definitely are more versed with the play by play. I am just going off what I see, Blaine looks the part of a quarterback no doubt. He scans the field and knows his reads. After that is where he runs into issues. I do not know if Chip can stop him from seeing ghost and having happy feet. The pockets are clean and he still is scared and ready to get out of there.
Originally posted by thl408:
This play started the comeback that wasn't. 3rd & 2. Cover1

Haha

I know they end up looking silly after all taking each other out but ignoring that Arik Armsteads raw power is scary once he gets a bit of help from the edge in the form of Lynch will mean good things for us on D
I do not know if Chip can stop him from seeing ghost and having happy feet. The pockets are clean and he still is scared and ready to get out of there.

Gotta give it time. He's had two games in his career with that kind of protection, and they both happened in the last 10 days.
Originally posted by captveg:
I do not know if Chip can stop him from seeing ghost and having happy feet. The pockets are clean and he still is scared and ready to get out of there.

Gotta give it time. He's had two games in his career with that kind of protection, and they both happened in the last 10 days.

Can't emphasize this enough. Only 2 games of his entire NFL career with good pass protection.

Plus, Kelly's system in PHI had some better receiving options:

2013 Vick: D.Jackson/Cooper/Avant with Ertz/Celek
2014 Foles: Maclin/Matthews/Cooper with Ertz/Celek
2015 Bradford: Matthews/Cooper/Agholor with Ertz/Celek

2016 Gabbert: Smith/Kerley/Patton with McDonald

Johnnydel I know you watch all the tape and definitely are more versed with the play by play. I am just going off what I see, Blaine looks the part of a quarterback no doubt. He scans the field and knows his reads. After that is where he runs into issues. I do not know if Chip can stop him from seeing ghost and having happy feet. The pockets are clean and he still is scared and ready to get out of there.

There definitely is that piece of playing scared. But, after reading Kelly's presser, one thing I'm curious about with a couple throws - especially the one to T. Smith is going back and looking at route depths and things of that nature to see if that might have been the culprit. Kelly talked about Gabbert and his receivers not being on the same page and that it's not all on the QB. Kind of seemed like he was saying routes were not run real well in the game.

It was good that he talked about that pre-season pass to Hyde that everyone dogged Gabbert for too.

"We had one in the preseason game and it's like, 'Well, it was a bad pass to the running back.' Well, the running back is supposed to run a flat route and the running back didn't run a flat route. So, the quarterback looks like he's very inaccurate on the throw, but it's not the quarterback's fault. He's expecting the running back to go up three yards, plant and drive to the sideline at five yards and deliver the ball on time there. When the running back runs the wrong route everybody looks at it and says, 'What a bad throw by the quarterback.'

It's got me wondering if there are more cases like this and how many of them are on the receiver. That's what's hard to tell from film sometimes. Especially with a new system, what are the nuances of the routes that are being run.

All those things take time in a system for everyone to gel - usually you get the off-season. But, when 8 of the 10 receivers you were working with from the summer are either hurt or cut and you're offense is a heavy 3 and 4 WR offense - it takes a while. It means you have guys like Patton and Smith running routes and positions that they probably didn't practice a ton at because they weren't being planned on being used in those spots as well.

There definitely is that piece of playing scared. But, after reading Kelly's presser, one thing I'm curious about with a couple throws - especially the one to T. Smith is going back and looking at route depths and things of that nature to see if that might have been the culprit. Kelly talked about Gabbert and his receivers not being on the same page and that it's not all on the QB. Kind of seemed like he was saying routes were not run real well in the game.

It was good that he talked about that pre-season pass to Hyde that everyone dogged Gabbert for too.

"We had one in the preseason game and it's like, 'Well, it was a bad pass to the running back.' Well, the running back is supposed to run a flat route and the running back didn't run a flat route. So, the quarterback looks like he's very inaccurate on the throw, but it's not the quarterback's fault. He's expecting the running back to go up three yards, plant and drive to the sideline at five yards and deliver the ball on time there. When the running back runs the wrong route everybody looks at it and says, 'What a bad throw by the quarterback.'

It's got me wondering if there are more cases like this and how many of them are on the receiver. That's what's hard to tell from film sometimes. Especially with a new system, what are the nuances of the routes that are being run.

All those things take time in a system for everyone to gel - usually you get the off-season. But, when 8 of the 10 receivers you were working with from the summer are either hurt or cut and you're offense is a heavy 3 and 4 WR offense - it takes a while. It means you have guys like Patton and Smith running routes and positions that they probably didn't practice a ton at because they weren't being planned on being used in those spots as well.

Between Gabbert and Smith there have been 15 targets and only 5 catches over the first two weeks... that's on both of them. Their chemistry should be better since they had the last half of last season and all off season this year. I'm not sure whats going on with that.
So, guys, would mind to mention players who stood out with a good or at least promising performance? Any word on AA and Buckner, respectively? players who sucked, save for Bethea?
Originally posted by communist:
So, guys, would mind to mention players who stood out with a good or at least promising performance? Any word on AA and Buckner, respectively? players who sucked, save for Bethea?

Well, the guys who stuck out to me were on the Panthers team, lol.

It's hard in a game where we give up 46 points to say I don't think anyone, "sucked". But I didn't see one guy, over and over again as the source of all our woes on defense or offense.

Staley's a stud and playing like it. Brock played good coverage for the most part and Reid was pretty good. I thought he was too deep as a safety a few times and wasn't able to make some plays on some balls. We desperately need a couple edge rushers and a stud to pair with Bow.
  • thl408
Originally posted by communist:

I thought Tiller, Staley, and Brown had good games in pass protection. For defense, I thought Brock did well. The one catch by Ginn was an amazing throw with Brock on him step for step. All OLBs were subpar. I don't generally watch individual players so unless they really stood out positively/negatively, I won't notice them.
Share 49ersWebzone