There are 94 users in the forums

2016 Week 2 Carolina Panthers coaches film analysis

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by Izyniner:
I understand the microscopic critiquing but there also needs some context. To the facts that this is a new team with new coaches, new schemes, new players. Yet some expectations are that of a team that has been running the same system for years. Give it some time. The receiver are getting open the defense is showing life. When it all comes together it is going to be fun to watch. RELAX 😁

Haha, alright Aaron Rodgers...lol

I do understand your point - but, this is the webzone and, at least from my perspective, it's difficult because if you excuse a missed throw or read or seem to be too harsh on a missed play or give too much credit on way or another you're gonna get slammed as either being all over Gabbert's nuts or hating the guy and everyone in the organization.

I try and provide the best analysis I can and try not to be biased. But, it's football and football is an emotional game and we love our niners!!!!
How many out of all the incompletions were:
Bad throw
WR error
Timing/not on same page
Originally posted by SunDevilNiner79:
Oh another comment that I'm curious if its backed up on the replays, I thought Staley was a complete stud. I feel like he is playing the best football I've seen out of him in quite some time.

Good call. Staley has been a monster so far. Easily our best lineman, great to see him still performing at a high level.
Originally posted by matguy87:
Originally posted by 9moon:
Personally, with the type of skill positions we have on offense, we need to have much longer drives.. I don't care if we go no huddle, but what I'm saying is, more quick passes on 1st downs, run the ball up the gut, and set up an ez 3rd down .. .. we need to get everyone on offense on the same page as far as believing that "we can score on this drive"...

Little by little, confidence will grow and once it is there, then CHIP can run his DUCK ATTACK offense..

They definitely need to get that run game going better and it showed this game... put too much pressure on Gab and the WRs. I wonder what the o-line could have done against that tough front 7 and I wonder if AD and Garnet would help.

It seems like almost all of the o-line was outmatched in the run game.
What's more disconcerting to me is that they put Marcus Martin in when Tiller went out, not Garnett who was active..... no way, he can't be worse that Martin - I mean, dude had one play and gave up one sack....

If Garnett doesn't work out the Baalke thread will asssplode, and rightfully so.
I'm disappointed because you're talking a first round O-lineman. He was drafted in about the same spot as Staley was, who started his rookie year at RT and played pretty darn well.
Originally posted by jreff22:
How many out of all the incompletions were:
Bad throw
WR error
Timing/not on same page

uh.....dunno

I usually don't take the time during the season to go through that exhaustively. That's the kind of stuff that I leave for the off-season when I have a couple weeks per game, lol.
Originally posted by Izyniner:
I understand the microscopic critiquing but there also needs some context. To the facts that this is a new team with new coaches, new schemes, new players. Yet some expectations are that of a team that has been running the same system for years. Give it some time. The receiver are getting open the defense is showing life. When it all comes together it is going to be fun to watch. RELAX 😁

True, it's easy to second guess when we can roll back the film 100x and decipher what should have happened. I think most of us understand it will take some time for the offense to gel and nail down the timing. But there are quite a few concerns in regards to the player's abilities to execute the gameplan, especially at the skill positions.
Originally posted by jonnydel:
Personally, with the type of skill positions we have on offense, we need to have much longer drives.. I don't care if we go no huddle, but what I'm saying is, more quick passes on 1st downs, run the ball up the gut, and set up an ez 3rd down .. .. we need to get everyone on offense on the same page as far as believing that "we can score on this drive"...

Little by little, confidence will grow and once it is there, then CHIP can run his DUCK ATTACK offense..

They definitely need to get that run game going better and it showed this game... put too much pressure on Gab and the WRs. I wonder what the o-line could have done against that tough front 7 and I wonder if AD and Garnet would help.

What's more disconcerting to me is that they put Marcus Martin in when Tiller went out, not Garnett who was active..... no way, he can't be worse that Martin - I mean, dude had one play and gave up one sack....

If Garnett doesn't work out the Baalke thread will asssplode, and rightfully so.
I'm disappointed because you're talking a first round O-lineman. He was drafted in about the same spot as Staley was, who started his rookie year at RT and played pretty darn well.

Hah! I think the coaches learned their lesson with MM... I hope.
Originally posted by Joecool:
After looking at a lot of plays, it seemed like CAR was overcommitting and taking some gambles a lot. Not sure why we didn't run more misdirections to break them.

Yep, hence my OP saying I felt we got out-coached. But it wasn't in the, "our coach has no freakin' what's going on out there" kind of way. It was the, "panthers did their homework and had a great game-plan against us that worked in a number of ways."

You gotta wonder how having 5 more days to prepare factored into this.
  • thl408

Totally agree they were outmatched in the run game. Makes sense though because the quality of competition was very high. Short/Star/Kuechly could be the best trio in the NFL up the middle. 49ers tried to avoid them by running outside the tackles. Between that and some of the tricks CAR used with disguising looks/fronts to bait the 49ers into run plays, it was tough all game.

Yeah, that was confusing to me as well considering how bad he's been in general. I'll just assume Garnett isn't up to speed yet considering he didn't attend OTA's, etc. Hopefully he get some snaps in going forward because Martin is absolute garbage.

Originally posted by thl408:

Totally agree they were outmatched in the run game. Makes sense though because the quality of competition was very high. Short/Star/Kuechly could be the best trio in the NFL up the middle. 49ers tried to avoid them by running outside the tackles. Between that and some of the tricks CAR used with disguising looks/fronts to bait the 49ers into run plays, it was tough all game.

They should learn from it and hopefully Chip comes up with ways to fight this stuff because I see a lot of other teams doing the same stuff until Chip shows they can defeat it.

The run game will get going if they come out and pass for 4-7 yards on 1st down a few times. Pass sets up the run.
Originally posted by captveg:
The run game will get going if they come out and pass for 4-7 yards on 1st down a few times. Pass sets up the run.

Chip mentioned the same thing in his presser when asked what they could have done to get the run game going. I think you'll see them make adjustments like that as the year goes on. We're still finding out what these guys are capable of within the offense.
Originally posted by SofaKing:
Originally posted by captveg:

Chip mentioned the same thing in his presser when asked what they could have done to get the run game going. I think you'll see them make adjustments like that as the year goes on. We're still finding out what these guys are capable of within the offense.

Agreed.

I also think that while some of these things are due to the talent level, some of that will get coached up because we have better coaches. But also, looking at a player like Kerley not running that curl as sharp as needed on the INT - he's still only been with the team 3 weeks. This is a work in progress with the WRs.
  • thl408
I spent a lot of time yesterday on the offense and the good and bad - today, we're going to look at, "D-Fence, D-Fence, D-Fence".
Here's one of those head-scratcher plays . I understand what they're trying to do, they're trying to create some pressure on Cam while taking away the deep shot late in a half, but it's a play that you should really never run against a mobile QB like Cam. It was just too easy for a guy like him.

:33 2nd QTR.

(snipped)

What do you think of the defense? I'm not talking about the execution in this game. From the two games, what do you think of the scheme? Compared to Chip's playbook, I think JoN's playbook is huge. All the various fronts, personnel groups, blitz packages, split coverages. I see zone, man, pattern matching, it's pretty crazy the amount of things he shows. I worry he might put too much on the players' plate, but if he can get the team to learn it and apply it, it has a lot of potential scheme wise. JoN himself still has to call a good game, scout well, and teach it, but the scheme itself I am liking what I see.

These are two slides from a Mike Pettine coaching clinic. While JoN is his own person, I would think that Pettine would not hire JoN unless he bought into some of these coaching points:

Every scheme nowadays is multiple, but just from 2 games, I think this 49ers defense is considered very "multiple". I forgot if I read it or heard JoN say in a presser, but JoN mentioned how he wants to, "put a lot of things on film so that it increases an offense's preparation time (paraphrase)". Force the opposing offense to scout every blitz package, personnel group, coverage, etc. I think this is a high risk/high reward scheme.
Share 49ersWebzone