Rep the Red & Gold: Shop 49ers Gear →

There are 504 users in the forums

49ers Week 2 2016 - Thoughts after rewatching the game...

Shop Find 49ers gear online
I was hoping that Gabbert would have a Sam Bradford minimum transformation this year. Don't think that's happening. Not yet anyways.
Bethea looks slow and should be up near the line and let Tartt run with the TE's.
The whole team looked sluggish yesterday. Thanks NFL schedulers.
Playing against 2 tough D lines in two weeks has shown how effective and ineffective the running game can be. The next game against Seattle should bring into clarity which one we really are
Looks like a repeat of last year so far with a dominant defense at home and a team that gets overwhelmed on the road.
Agree with everyone that we really need a QB whose second read isn't the ground and can effectively drive the ball down the field to soften defenses and an above average wide receiving corp
I think Brooks comment that teams were going to be afraid of this defense backfired and gave the opponents inspiration to keep throwing at the end of the game when it was well in hand. (my opinion).
I would have liked to have seen D. Johnson on Benjamin. Not that he's a shut down corner but he isn't 5'10" either.
I've never liked Carolina ever since they were the first expansion team to ever beat the Super Bowl champs their first season. So when they beat the 49ers in 95 and Joe Buck was ranting about it while they played Carolina On My Mind, it really made me dislike them. Was hoping we could take them down a notch.
Still a young season but I'm less encouraged than I was last Tuesday.
Good analysis.
We have a team that will struggle and have to overachieve to have an 8-8 season.

Gabbert is not a franchise QB. A solid back-up. We have no idea what's up with Kap. Will he ever play again for us or is he just the highest paid back-up in the NFL.

We have good solid recievers but no real threat. A bunch of guys that would be good number two and number three receivers but no real number one guy. Some teams have two or three of them and we don't have one.

Our last three first rounders barely take the field. Armstead and Buckner split time as two early first rounders and Garnett, a first rounder at guard which is early for a guard is still on the bench even with Martin and Tiller getting playing time. Hopefully all three develope into quality starters. Second rounders Carradine and Tartt also don't start.

We need a pass rush. Llynch is missing but we have Brooks, Harold and Tank is supposed to be coming on.

We have some good young players. Maybe another year of experience and a few key additions will get us back to being contenders again.
The team played cross country on a short week, in terrible weather conditions, against the NFC Champs and the league MVP and were down one score with 7 minutes to play. Seattle will be an easier match up in Seattle next week......who would have ever thought that a year ago?

Cam had one of the best games of his career and Kelvin Benjamin was equally good, they both made some ridiculous plays in the second half. I think thats ultimately what the game came down to. No pass rush and broken coverage's do not help either.

After really watching the plays run in the past two weeks one observation I have is that its such a shame Kap is not the Kap of 2013. 2013 Kap would be amazing in this offense.
Originally posted by kujon11:
Originally posted by cali2COniner:
Originally posted by reasonable1:
Chip called a good game. Gabbert blew it. No sense in trying to explain that away.

wait what? the playcalling returning from halftime has been abysmal the last two games.

I'll agree with that. Gabbert however is also terrible at the read option, both last week and this the linebackers have just keyed in on the running back in the read option. He'll have daylight in front of him and not keep it. It's frustating to watch and is going to get Carlos Hyde killed.
Originally posted by Marvin49:
Originally posted by Waterbear:
Hey marvin,

Don't you think that missing OLB could just be Aaron lynch? I think the guy is dynamic in what he can do. I do agree Gabbert should have ran the ball more that is one of the reasons we won in the fashion we did week 1. I think seattle's defense is still elite but im predicting a 49er win this sunday because the Seahawks offense is a shell of its former self. I really think we might actually be trending upwards for the first time since the NFC championship loss against this next team. Just seems like a lot of posters want to ignore that. Coaching is already much better then what we have seen even since harbaugh's last season which i thought was even very subpar running those five wide sets.

I think Lynch is part of the answer, but they need another OLB this offseason to pair with him.

Brooks is aging. Haven't seen anything from Harold. I had hopes for Carradine but still haven't seen it. Long season ahead so maybe somebody steps up.

On Lynch tho...I like Lynch, but I don't think he's a game changer. I think he's a good part of a good defense, but he's not Aldon. He's not Von. Perhaps thats too high a standard, but at the very least they need someone rushing the other edge.

Good news is the 49ers have a ton of cap room to find a WR and OLB should the opportunity present.

I ignored QB because usually the ones you want never reach free agency.
[ Edited by bzborow1 on Sep 19, 2016 at 6:12 PM ]
Originally posted by northoakland510:
Originally posted by Method:
I think you're being awfully hard on gabbert. There were some other throws to make but he put up 27 points in a brand new offense in week 2. Could have been more if Vance doesn't drop a perfectly thrown pass in his hands.

And imo, Hyde was terrible yesterday. There were holes created but he either tried cutting outside or didn't hit them hard so made minimal gains. Plus his fumble to Carolina td was the worst play a rb could make. He has to step up.

The team got 20 of those points buy only having to go 67 yards. We had 6 possessions in a row where we only had 74 yards.


Originally posted by captveg:
I think people are overthinking Garnett. He's strictly learning LG right now. That's why he didn't enter at RG.
A specialist. Not a middle lineman, not a RG, a LG. A specialist's specialist on a talent poor team.
Originally posted by pho_t_9er:
The problem with Gabbert is that he doesn't take shots down field he stares down Wr's and always hits his check down.. it seems he's playing not to lose the game more than trying to win the game..defense will get better and the pass rush will come along, but if Gabbert cannot sustain long drives and score points I'd like to see Kap in there with this o-line he is clearly what chip wants.. the Gabbert start was Baalkes call I guarantee it 100%... You can already see how Chip is hinting Gabberts inaccuracies, he's setting it up for the switch up..

This is my biggest problem with Gabbert right now is he won't attack a defense early in the game when there are opportunities. It seems like once we are getting dominated and there is nothing to lose he seems to relax and doesn't hesitate to throw the ball on what he sees and trusts. Not sure if he can overcome this or not
[ Edited by tohara3 on Sep 19, 2016 at 6:29 PM ]
Originally posted by Method:
I think you're being awfully hard on gabbert. There were some other throws to make but he put up 27 points in a brand new offense in week 2. Could have been more if Vance doesn't drop a perfectly thrown pass in his hands.

And imo, Hyde was terrible yesterday. There were holes created but he either tried cutting outside or didn't hit them hard so made minimal gains. Plus his fumble to Carolina td was the worst play a rb could make. He has to step up.

Also could have been more if he had hit some WIDE OPEN targets at many points of the game ... crucial points. Gabbert is a stop gap, nothing more. I don't think he will ever be anything but a middle of the road QB, perennial back up.
Gabbert is really bad. He hears footsteps that aren't there. His fundamentals are all over the place.
Originally posted by Sourball:
I was hoping that Gabbert would have a Sam Bradford minimum transformation this year. Don't think that's happening. Not yet anyways.
Bethea looks slow and should be up near the line and let Tartt run with the TE's.
The whole team looked sluggish yesterday. Thanks NFL schedulers.
Playing against 2 tough D lines in two weeks has shown how effective and ineffective the running game can be. The next game against Seattle should bring into clarity which one we really are
Looks like a repeat of last year so far with a dominant defense at home and a team that gets overwhelmed on the road.
Agree with everyone that we really need a QB whose second read isn't the ground and can effectively drive the ball down the field to soften defenses and an above average wide receiving corp
I think Brooks comment that teams were going to be afraid of this defense backfired and gave the opponents inspiration to keep throwing at the end of the game when it was well in hand. (my opinion).
I would have liked to have seen D. Johnson on Benjamin. Not that he's a shut down corner but he isn't 5'10" either.
I've never liked Carolina ever since they were the first expansion team to ever beat the Super Bowl champs their first season. So when they beat the 49ers in 95 and Joe Buck was ranting about it while they played Carolina On My Mind, it really made me dislike them. Was hoping we could take them down a notch.
Still a young season but I'm less encouraged than I was last Tuesday.

Solid post.
Did anyone here really expect a W in Carolina? Yeah, me neither. Maybe a slim single digit chance, but realistically nobody was expecting a W here. The fact we kept it close for a half and then again near the end we were only behind by 7...and McD dropped a pass he had just caught a couple series before for a TD. So even tho the score said no, I would say was stayed in it pretty much of the time, but we played a mature bunch of all pros, guys who have played together for4-6 yrs now, and Cam was the deserved MVP last yr. So expecting a W was unrealistic...but we held our own for awhile in the heat and humidity. That was a huge advantage for them, in that they are accustomed to playing in that steam room heat. Our guys were a bit off with only W, Thurs and Fri to get ready. Panthers had 10 days. QBs? Unhh, maybe Cam is better? WRs? Maybe they look like all pros. LBs? They were all pros, and Kueckhly(sp?) is something else. This was a front 7 lite yrs ahead of the Rams. Coaching wise Riverboat Ron has had this team yrs now.

We OTOH, have a coach who never coached here prior to last week. We got a stud OL, wiht everyone new but Staley. Kilgore missed most of last two yrs wiht broken leg and then had to have it re operated on .So he is relatively recent back to the game. WRs...we got none except those that walked in off the street or we just got in trade. Virtually no experience here, and all guys are unfamiliar with our QB. RBs..ok, decent. DL was good, LBs not superior. NO OLB. Our DBs, mostly new, got roasted a number of times by big huge long armed guys.

Put all that together and it is amazing at one point in Q4 we were just 7 pts down. I felt our guys played well, played hard in really awful circumstances. Would like to get a shot at these guys again much later after end of reg season. Won't happen this yr, but next? I like our chances. FR QB, FA all pro WRs, and we got it made.

All that said...I was extremely pleased we played so well, mistakes aside. The guys came to play, showed heart and didn;t quit. This was a very positive game from my perspective.
[ Edited by pasodoc9er on Sep 19, 2016 at 9:30 PM ]
Originally posted by pasodoc9er:
Did anyone here really expect a W in Carolina? Yeah, me neither. Maybe a slim single digit chance, but realistically nobody was expecting a W here. The fact we kept it close for a half and then again near the end we were only behind by 7...and McD dropped a pass he had just caught a couple series before for a TD. So even tho the score said no, I would say was stayed in it pretty much of the time, but we played a mature bunch of all pros, guys who have played together for4-6 yrs now, and Cam was the deserved MVP last yr. So expecting a W was unrealistic...but we held our own for awhile in the heat and humidity. That was a huge advantage for them, in that they are accustomed to playing in that steam room heat. Our guys were a bit off with only W, Thurs and Fri to get ready. Panthers had 10 days. QBs? Unhh, maybe Cam is better? WRs? Maybe they look like all pros. LBs? They were all pros, and Kueckhly(sp?) is something else. This was a front 7 lite yrs ahead of the Rams. Coaching wise Riverboat Ron has had this team yrs now.

We OTOH, have a coach who never coached here prior to last week. We got a stud OL, wiht everyone new but Staley. Kilgore missed most of last two yrs wiht broken leg and then had to have it re operated on .So he is relatively recent back to the game. WRs...we got none except those that walked in off the street or we just got in trade. Virtually no experience here, and all guys are unfamiliar with our QB. RBs..ok, decent. DL was good, LBs not superior. NO OLB. Our DBs, mostly new, got roasted a number of times by big huge long armed guys.

Put all that together and it is amazing at one point in Q4 we were just 7 pts down. I felt our guys played well, played hard in really awful circumstances. Would like to get a shot at these guys again much later after end of reg season. Won't happen this yr, but next? I like our chances. FR QB, FA all pro WRs, and we got it made.

All that said...I was extremely pleased we played so well, mistakes aside. The guys came to play, showed heart and didn;t quit. This was a very positive game from my perspective.

So thankful and relieving to have dudes like you around. Sometimes this place gets so flooded by whiners it can get exhausting trying to keep people level minded.

I'll take a snap for you. Our squads only getting better by the week baby, gotta pay the cost to be the boss. on to the next one. I'd love to send a message in their house, looking REALLY forward for this game, our team will be fired up for it as well.
Originally posted by pasodoc9er:
Did anyone here really expect a W in Carolina? Yeah, me neither. Maybe a slim single digit chance, but realistically nobody was expecting a W here. The fact we kept it close for a half and then again near the end we were only behind by 7...and McD dropped a pass he had just caught a couple series before for a TD. So even tho the score said no, I would say was stayed in it pretty much of the time, but we played a mature bunch of all pros, guys who have played together for4-6 yrs now, and Cam was the deserved MVP last yr. So expecting a W was unrealistic...but we held our own for awhile in the heat and humidity. That was a huge advantage for them, in that they are accustomed to playing in that steam room heat. Our guys were a bit off with only W, Thurs and Fri to get ready. Panthers had 10 days. QBs? Unhh, maybe Cam is better? WRs? Maybe they look like all pros. LBs? They were all pros, and Kueckhly(sp?) is something else. This was a front 7 lite yrs ahead of the Rams. Coaching wise Riverboat Ron has had this team yrs now.

We OTOH, have a coach who never coached here prior to last week. We got a stud OL, wiht everyone new but Staley. Kilgore missed most of last two yrs wiht broken leg and then had to have it re operated on .So he is relatively recent back to the game. WRs...we got none except those that walked in off the street or we just got in trade. Virtually no experience here, and all guys are unfamiliar with our QB. RBs..ok, decent. DL was good, LBs not superior. NO OLB. Our DBs, mostly new, got roasted a number of times by big huge long armed guys.

Put all that together and it is amazing at one point in Q4 we were just 7 pts down. I felt our guys played well, played hard in really awful circumstances. Would like to get a shot at these guys again much later after end of reg season. Won't happen this yr, but next? I like our chances. FR QB, FA all pro WRs, and we got it made.

All that said...I was extremely pleased we played so well, mistakes aside. The guys came to play, showed heart and didn;t quit. This was a very positive game from my perspective.

Nice post. Admittedly, I didn't get to see the first half because the bar I was at refused to play the game because of the Kap protest. So dumb.

I did see the second half, and I was encouraged that they didn't lay down. Kevin Lynch was on KNBR ripping the NFL for scheduling Monday night teams traveling to the east coast. Highly recommend the podcast if you can listen.

They were really up against it. Monday night late game, four days of prep, 2 days of actual practice, travel to the east coast, play the NFC champs in a game in which they had six more days to prep.

I thought they'd end up like in Pittsburgh last year, but they kept fighting. The other thing I would like to think is a lot of the mental and physical breakdowns happened because they were less prepared than the team they were up against.
[ Edited by PowderdToastMn on Sep 19, 2016 at 10:14 PM ]
Originally posted by pwillis52beasty:
Lol Gabbert is not the guy, but you don't know if Kap is or not. I'll help you out, Kap isn't the guy either and that's even more clear. Kap would have never made the touchdown throw to Torrey Smith because he would have never went through his progressions like that. Gabbert sees the field a million times better than Kap does. Gabbert may be s**t, but Kap is diarrhea plain and simple. At least Gabbert goes through his progressions and can read a defense. All Kap has on Gabbert is top end speed and arm strength.

Uh...what about the long TD against the (very poor) Ravens last year?
Be careful before making blanket statements like that.

And what about Gabbert's inaccurate passes?
He needs to take Throwing Mechanics 101 all over again.
Open Menu Search Share 49ersWebzone