Rep the Red & Gold: Shop 49ers Gear →

There are 726 users in the forums

My thoughts live from Carolina

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Great take, man

Bummer the team unraveled and Panther fans gave you some grief, but that's to be expected as a visiting fan.

A lot of mistakes made today. We had an opportunity to steal the game if we played cleaner. Team is not good enough or talented enough to make these mistakes. Carolina made a bunch of mistakes too, but overcame it by simply being a better, more talented football team. We'll see what happens next week at Seattle.
I agree one thousand with your last paragraph.

We should have our heads held high. Gotta keep rounding out the rough edges and capatilize on opportunities. Good learning game, bring on Seattle. Whose losing by 6 to the Rams in the fourth
Originally posted by SofaKing:
Great take, man

Bummer the team unraveled and Panther fans gave you some grief, but that's to be expected as a visiting fan.

A lot of mistakes made today. We had an opportunity to steal the game if we played cleaner. Team is not good enough or talented enough to make these mistakes. Carolina made a bunch of mistakes too, but overcame it by simply being a better, more talented football team. We'll see what happens next week at Seattle.

Agreed 100 percent. Carolina has a few extra stars at key positions than we do right now and in the end that made the difference.
Good post. Tough game for players & coaches. We should look, learn and move on to next week now.
  • TyCore
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 12,998
"Open when covered" is the perfect description for Benjamin.
That is bs ..the way baalke built this team is out dated ..playing good defense is good when your offense is carrying there end of the load ...our problem is simple no deep threat not do we have a pass rush .we can fix this at this point having greg hardy & trading for josh Gordon & putting karlep as the start would be the injection we need ...side ? Benjamin & fuchess or over 6"1 ...why did we have ward & Brock ..on them ????
Originally posted by TyCore:
"Open when covered" is the perfect description for Benjamin.

Not even fair to see a 5'10" DB on him. It's laughable. For Carolina.
  • Hopper
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 12,412
Yeah Bethea had a pretty bad game.
Originally posted by 15crabtree:
That is bs ..the way baalke built this team is out dated ..playing good defense is good when your offense is carrying there end of the load ...our problem is simple no deep threat not do we have a pass rush .we can fix this at this point having greg hardy & trading for josh Gordon & putting karlep as the start would be the injection we need ...side ? Benjamin & fuchess or over 6"1 ...why did we have ward & Brock ..on them ????

Baalke hasn't built this team yet. It's far from a finished product. It is being rebuilt and what he has shown me is he is attempting to start with rebuilding the trenches. That's the most effective way to win in the NFL is winning in the trenches. Our remaining holes are pretty obvious, but you can't plug every hole in one offseason or even two after the caliber of players from which we lost.

I think Hardy and Gordon are two of those "on paper" upgrades. Both guys are close to being kicked out of the league and bringing in two guys with their checkered histories probably isn't a good move for a team with a young locker room. Besides the browns already said that Gordon is not up for grabs and I think it's telling that not one team in the NFL has signed Hardy at this point.

I will agree with you on the coverages. There's not much Brock can do with Benjamin with such a size differential. I did see Robinson and Johnson on him in the game as well but I don't think there was anybody that was going to cover Benjamin in the 49ers secondary, especially with no pass rush, regardless of who covered him so they stuck with their most experienced guy for the majority.
[ Edited by Willisfn4life on Sep 18, 2016 at 4:25 PM ]
Originally posted by Willisfn4life:
Baalke hasn't built this team yet. It's far from a finished product. It is being rebuilt and what he has shown me is he is attempting to start with rebuilding the trenches. That's the most effective way to win in the NFL is winning in the trenches. Our remaining holes are pretty obvious, but you can't plug every hole in one offseason or even two after the caliber of players from which we lost.

I think Hardy and Gordon are two of those "on paper" upgrades. Both guys are close to being kicked out of the league and bringing in two guys with their checkered histories probably isn't a good move for a team with a young locker room. Besides the browns already said that Gordon is not up for grabs and I think it's telling that not one team in the NFL has signed Hardy at this point.

I will agree with you on the coverages. There's not much Brock can do with Benjamin with such a size differential. I did see Robinson and Johnson on him in the game as well but I don't think there was anybody that was going to cover Benjamin in the 49ers secondary, especially with no pass rush, regardless of who covered him so they stuck with their most experienced guy for the majority.
The problem with the Baalke is just getting started on the rebuild is the issue. He's taken three years on drafting DEs and CBs. Not one year.
Originally posted by 15crabtree:
That is bs ..the way baalke built this team is out dated ..playing good defense is good when your offense is carrying there end of the load ...our problem is simple no deep threat not do we have a pass rush .we can fix this at this point having greg hardy & trading for josh Gordon & putting karlep as the start would be the injection we need ...side ? Benjamin & fuchess or over 6"1 ...why did we have ward & Brock ..on them ????


Originally posted by Paul_Hofer:
The problem with the Baalke is just getting started on the rebuild is the issue. He's taken three years on drafting DEs and CBs. Not one year.

Yeah I don't want to turn this into another Baalke thread and I'm not going to make excuses for him either. I will say this though. We just lost a litter of upper echelon players last season and he has added two potential cornerstones on the dline to replace McDonald and Smith and the best guard in college last season to help ease the loss of Iupati. I thought adding Garnett was a good counter to what looks like misses with Brandon Thomas and Marcus Martin. It will take them time to develop but like I said, starting a rebuild in the trenches is a good start to rebuilding your football team. That's still where the games are won.
[ Edited by Willisfn4life on Sep 18, 2016 at 5:22 PM ]
Originally posted by 15crabtree:
That is bs ..the way baalke built this team is out dated ..playing good defense is good when your offense is carrying there end of the load ...our problem is simple no deep threat not do we have a pass rush .we can fix this at this point having greg hardy & trading for josh Gordon & putting karlep as the start would be the injection we need ...side ? Benjamin & fuchess or over 6"1 ...why did we have ward & Brock ..on them ????
Originally posted by Willisfn4life:
First off I'll say win or lose, living on the east coast is tough for a 49ers fan so seeing the niners live is a rare treat for me.

The Carolina fans were incredibly annoying. I was pretty much minding my own business as I was walking out the arena and the shots were coming left and right. Finally I had enough and had to retort and when one guy said you niner fans sure are quiet after losses, my reply was...yeah it's our attempt at our best Cam Newton impression which drew a reaction.

My concerns came to life. I told my dad going in that if the 49ers were unable to get pressure with our front four than Cam would make us pay for it and he did. When we blitzed and got in the backfield, Cam was able to escape.

From what I saw the receivers weren't getting a ton of separation and a couple times that they did Gabbert missed them. There were of course some drop passes that didn't help Gabbert's stats either. Gabbert seems to throw low alot. Maybe it will look different when I rewatch the game and it was just a live misconception, I don't know.

Bethea was getting torched out there alot and became a liability in the game.

Kelvin Benjamin is a complete animal. The dude is open when covered and makes tough catches look easy.

I'm not sure what Chip was doing on some of his play calling. We were in alot of third and longs and what was with the 3rd and 10 and we throw a wide receiver screen?

I do want to accentuate here that this team has grit and fight in them. Carolina was pulling away in this one and the niners got it to a 10 point game late in the fourth by not giving up. If McDonald makes that catch across midfield, who knows what happens then when it was only a ten point lead and the team was building some momentum. The better team won today but I think it's important to remember how young the 49ers are and they played hard. I think their best football is still in front of them. The game today was closer than the score indicated. We still need some pieces. We need an upgrade to the wide receiver unit. Another pass rusher. Lynch will help but he can't do it alone. Gabbert looks to be a bridge gap like we expected but the team is alot closer to competing than the so called "experts" are giving them credit for.

On to Seattle. Let's do this!

Cheers guys...

Great post mate!
Open Menu Search Share 49ersWebzone