LISTEN: 49ers Play It Smart on Day Two of the Draft →

There are 321 users in the forums

Tonight's win...a fluke?

Shop Find 49ers gear online

Tonight's win...a fluke?

Originally posted by PhillyNiner:

Torrey- remains to be seen but he has never seemed like a good fit to this offense for me that values quickness in short spaces over long straight line speed....this game furthered my concerns.

They need to start throwing it up to him ala Desean Jackson in 2013. Foles was throwing it deep a lot. I dont think they have a Torrey Smith problem as much as they have a Blaine Gabbert being unwilling to attack downfield problem.
Originally posted by Aj_hwd954:
Wouldn't say we're "legit" but we have a lot of young hungry talent. Offensive line is dramatically better from when Jordan & Pears were starting, and Chip Kelly runs circles around that sweaty swine Tomsula . However the terrible depth at WR & QB is what will keep this team down. If we could fill those holes we would be back in championship contending form

im very confident in our OL and DL

and running game on both sides of the ball

the passing game on both sides on defensive side lets say we are untested

offense needs improvement
Originally posted by WildBill:
It was so weird, they had so much time when they broke to the line in the 4th Q, they would stop and all the niners would then stand up and look to the right like what do call those animals in the wild that look like ferrets (?) when think there might be danger. Then you see the rams stopping look over also and thinking, wtf?

I was thinking the same thing. I called them prairie dogs.

Originally posted by Aj_hwd954:
Wouldn't say we're "legit" but we have a lot of young hungry talent. Offensive line is dramatically better from when Jordan & Pears were starting, and Chip Kelly runs circles around that sweaty swine Tomsula . However the terrible depth at WR & QB is what will keep this team down. If we could fill those holes we would be back in championship contending form

Pretty much this.

I think the masses here knew we would beat the Rams. I didn't expect a shutout but I certainly expected a double digit victory. Two big tests await us @CAR followed by @SEA. If we can avoid being skulldrug in back to back weeks like we were last year after our Minny win, arrow will be up, as sus would say. I think we can beat Dallas and Buffalo. AZ I'm on the fence but they lost to the Pats without Brady and Gronk so who knows. Their secondary looks very hittable
I had a post get eaten earlier where I basically said I voted yes in that we are better than anyone gave us credit for, but we are not legit in that I see us as a playoff contender. Last night we went from looking like a bottom feeder according to many to looking like a possible .500 team. That is good progress....
[ Edited by PhillyNiner on Sep 13, 2016 at 7:34 AM ]
I had a post get eaten earlier where I basically said I voted yes in that we are better than anyone gave us credit for, but we are not legit in that I see us as a playoff contender. Last night we went from looking like a bottom feeder according to many to looking like a possible .500 team. That is good progress....

This. It was going to be a rebuilding year no matter what. 6-8 wins sounds realistic right about now.
What we witnessed last year is still in our minds. And it scared many of us. The coaching was so bad the front office issues and CK were so bad it was just hard to see clearly. Just being professional and well coached and disciplined goes so far. Last year it seemed like we were a Canadian football team trying to cut it in the NFL.
Was our win last night a fluke? No. If not the way in which we won, the win itself was expected by me, and should have been expected by most.

Both of these teams are not Super Bowl contenders, or even playoff contenders at this point.

It's just that the 49ers are a better coached team (than the Rams) that is not as devoid of talent as the national experts or local detractors believe.
Originally posted by 9erred:
Bill bellichek rarely makes comments in press confeences, however when Chip Kelly was fired by the Eagles he publicy stated it was short sighted by the team owners and that Kelly has a great offensive mind and prepares his team well.

First penalty came in the 4th quarter of MNF, WOW that is good coaching!!!

I also like that they admit the WR core sucked and traded for Kerley and Streater. My prediction is Patton will be shown the bench soon in favor of Streater

Patton was awesome last night. He ran great routes and caught everything thrown his way. He ain't getting benched anytime soon.
let's see how this team fairs after the road trip. We're not this good and LA is not that bad. This to me is Deja Vu and the win was a fluke in the sense of how we won the game.

We go into Carolina and get a blow out like we did in Pitt last year this victory will mean very little. then you go into sea who CAN do the same. Lets see how this offense does on the road and against legit SB contenders.
[ Edited by mutant-man49 on Sep 13, 2016 at 8:29 AM ]

Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:

Torrey- remains to be seen but he has never seemed like a good fit to this offense for me that values quickness in short spaces over long straight line speed....this game furthered my concerns.

They need to start throwing it up to him ala Desean Jackson in 2013. Foles was throwing it deep a lot. I dont think they have a Torrey Smith problem as much as they have a Blaine Gabbert being unwilling to attack downfield problem.

This. Gabbert looked like he was expecting pressure that wasn't there. Makes sense, given the Rams front 7. In the 4th quarter, he seemed to adjust, settle into the pocket and deliver good throws downfield.

I'm hoping he settles in and has more confidence in his OL. We'll see in the coming weeks, but facing Carolina and Seattle back to back on the road is a crazy test for any QB.
Originally posted by mutant-man49:
let's see how this team fairs after the road trip. We're not this good and LA is not that bad. This to me is Deja Vu and the win was a fluke in the sense of how we won the game.

We go into Carolina and get a blow out like we did in Pitt last year this victory will mean very little. then you go into sea who CAN do the same. Lets see how this offense does on the road and against legit SB contenders.

I agree that next week @ Carolina will tell us where this season is headed. Just like Week 2 of last season when we got smoked in Pittsburgh and that set the tone for the year.

If we go @ Carolina, their home opener following a tough loss, and play a competitive football game...I'll be very happy. Just don't want to see a blowout loss.
Beat Carolina N we are deft in business. Get blown out by Carolina N yes this was deft. a fluke win
There is no way this team was going to be 0-16. If that crappy coaching staff from last season can win some games, there is no way in hell with this new coaching staff is going 0-16.

Good win but this team is still a franchise QB and a true #1 WR away from being a Super Bowl contender. It's like the pre Harb era. I'm not looking for wins, I'm looking for progress. But I'll take a win when I can.
[ Edited by sacleads on Sep 13, 2016 at 8:45 AM ]
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Originally posted by socal9er42:

My response probably belongs in the Baalke thread, but here goes anyway.

Baalke needs to accept the fact that he has a blind spot in his analysis of College Football receivers. He should absolutely abdicate any selection he is in favor of at the receiver position and let the guy who empties the garbage cans in the War Room on Draft Day make the choice instead. Better chance of producing a good receiver.

You know what leads to a better chance of finding a good receiver? Having consistent, quality quarterback play.

The teams that can "pick" wide receivers coincidentally also have top QBs, a consistent offensive philosophy and coaching stability but I am sure that has nothing to do with it.

Meanwhile Bil Belichick can't draft a WR to save his life and has largely given up on it but the Patriots have still been able to work around it.

Some truth there, but OTOH, how many of our Drafted Receivers that we let go have succeeded elsewhere with "better" QB play?
Share 49ersWebzone