There are 80 users in the forums

Tonight's win...a fluke?

Shop Find 49ers gear online

Tonight's win...a fluke?

I'm very pleased with the results, even with Harbaugh we seldom blew teams out. The Defense plays fast, and those two redwoods on the D-line will cause havoc for years. You can go up and down the D and I'm thinking, do we have something special here? Interesting observation, when Staley came out notice that Trent Brown went to LT and Davis RT, hmmmmm.
Originally posted by drakan:
Doesn't matter how angry they are. They ain't winning anything with Keenum at QB.

They went 3-2 with him as a starter last year including a win vs Seattle.

[ Edited by Phoenix49ers on Sep 13, 2016 at 6:47 AM ]
Originally posted by BleedsRedNGold:
Even better is that we're sending Seattle into LA with an embarrassed and angry team with their home opener. Donald is going to ragdoll Willow.

Nice warm thoughts
Originally posted by NinerGM:
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Before the game all the Negative Nancies were like:

After the game:

They played well, it was a good win. Hopefully they can build on it and put out a good showing versus Carolina.

This ALWAYS happens. I don't think we'll beat the panthers but they should make it competitive if Gabbert can improve accuracy just a little.

Much of the 49er fan base here at WZ has become bandwagoneers

We played good. The next two games should tell us where we are at vs playoff caliber teams. Doesn't change my mindset on Kap taking over the team eventually but a solid win.

I'm impressed with the defense.
[ Edited by Wu-5Rings on Sep 13, 2016 at 6:55 AM ]
Blaine didn't appear to be terrific, and was 22/35. But, Celek dropped two, McD one, and Torrey dropped two. I think there were two others but haven't review game yet. So that 22/35 should have been 27/35 with no INTs, altho a couple were close. Blaine managed game well, ran for what, 4 or 5 first downs on 3rd and long? Our OL just crushed them, the best DL in the league. Crushed them. And Gab had all sorts of time. D played lites out, Chip called a great game except for the start of 3rd Qtr. And we won big. And ONE penalty.

Overall huge win over a decimated Rams team, which will still look like this 2 yrs from now with no picks in rds 1-3. 2 yrs worth. Ouch. So it is a bit difficult to say what we have, but right now, I would say the talent is there. Both OL and DL just beat the Rams to death. This is a good team, well coached, Blaine who some say didn't play well had a QBR of 114.

Unhh....you don't have a QBR of 114 and play bad. You do that, you usually win. And our O looked fantastic, wiht huge holes in the line on most every play.

people that didn't like this game....need to find another team. Personally, I'll take this one and our Qb who ran for 4or 5 first downs on 3rd and long, had two pass TDs, and made it look effortless. He read the field well. Question: what do you folks who didn't like Blaine's performance want? That win was dominating and we had excellent QB play ...114...
[ Edited by pasodoc9er on Sep 13, 2016 at 7:03 AM ]
It's the Rams. I expected them to beat the Rams. Not sure why it should be called a fluke. We are a below average team but that doesn't mean they aren't going to win some games. Like are folks expecting 0-16 or some s**t. I mean if the team is 4-0 then you can start asking if these wins are fluke. But it's only 1 game. just a good win to me. nothing fluke. We dominated both lines
Originally posted by 9erred:
Bill bellichek rarely makes comments in press confeences, however when Chip Kelly was fired by the Eagles he publicy stated it was short sighted by the team owners and that Kelly has a great offensive mind and prepares his team well.

First penalty came in the 4th quarter of MNF, WOW that is good coaching!!!

I also like that they admit the WR core sucked and traded for Kerley and Streater. My prediction is Patton will be shown the bench soon in favor of Streater

My response probably belongs in the Baalke thread, but here goes anyway.

Baalke needs to accept the fact that he has a blind spot in his analysis of College Football receivers. He should absolutely abdicate any selection he is in favor of at the receiver position and let the guy who empties the garbage cans in the War Room on Draft Day make the choice instead. Better chance of producing a good receiver.
Originally posted by lamontb:
It's the Rams. I expected them to beat the Rams. Not sure why it should be called a fluke. We are a below average team but that doesn't mean they aren't going to win some games. Like are folks expecting 0-16 or some s**t. I mean if the team is 4-0 then you can start asking if these wins are fluke. But it's only 1 game. just a good win to me. nothing fluke. We dominated both lines

Well...most of the pundits expected us to be not just among the....but THE worst team in all of football. They really did think we were going close to 0-16 and the Rams were considered to be on the way up. I think you are taking in stride and rightly so because you never really bought into that....but certainly a lot of folks did.
Originally posted by socal9er42:
Originally posted by 9erred:
Bill bellichek rarely makes comments in press confeences, however when Chip Kelly was fired by the Eagles he publicy stated it was short sighted by the team owners and that Kelly has a great offensive mind and prepares his team well.

First penalty came in the 4th quarter of MNF, WOW that is good coaching!!!

I also like that they admit the WR core sucked and traded for Kerley and Streater. My prediction is Patton will be shown the bench soon in favor of Streater

Baalke needs to accept the fact that he has a blind spot in his analysis of College Football receivers. He should absolutely abdicate any selection he is in favor of at the receiver position and let the guy who empties the garbage cans in the War Room on Draft Day make the choice instead. Better chance of producing a good receiver.

Or just concede it and pay for them in free agency. Smith isn't the right fit in my opinion but most of the others we have gotten from other teams...Bolden now Kerely for example have worked out. For as good as Baalke is at finding corners...dude has a huge blind spot at receiver and in my mind hasn't really attempted to seriously get a QB.
Originally posted by socal9er42:

You know what leads to a better chance of finding a good receiver? Having consistent, quality quarterback play.

The teams that can "pick" wide receivers coincidentally also have top QBs, a consistent offensive philosophy and coaching stability but I am sure that has nothing to do with it.

Meanwhile Bil Belichick can't draft a WR to save his life and has largely given up on it but the Patriots have still been able to work around it.
[ Edited by Phoenix49ers on Sep 13, 2016 at 7:14 AM ]

too early

D looked great you couldnt ask them to play any better - but keenum was horrible we had 10 guys in the box you cant do that against normal qbs

but i would say we are hands down lefit on the DL and OL which is key to winning every games

our run game on both sides are legit which is another key to victory

gabbert look meh i like how he can extend plays with his legs but throwing the ball may be a problem on a consistant basis
Originally posted by WildBill:
It was a good win, not a fluke in the sense that they were lucky. However, it is not indicative of how good or bad they are. We at least know that they are not a team that is going to get the first pick in the draft.

Plus we won big last year in the first game, but crashed. People did not know what to expect from the niners and Chip Kelly just like Tomasula, now they know, so we will see.

Defense was good, but, Rams have no QB, so the niners just stacked the box, plus as Steve Young said, they just played horizontal. Cam will give a better litmus test, cause he can pass and run. The only thing is if he is still feeling the punishment from game 1.

The offense was efficient. Nothing special, would have been a different game if the Rams made the picks. There were three of them that they dropped. Not to mentio all those passes knocked up in the air, one of those could have been picked also. The one he caught, should have been batted down and away.

Still, better than losing, especially a division game.

Let's get one thing straight. Chip is nothing like Tomsula. We don't have the same issues this year that we had last year.
Originally posted by Regina:
Originally posted by BleedsRedNGold:
Even better is that we're sending Seattle into LA with an embarrassed and angry team with their home opener. Donald is going to ragdoll Willow.

Nice warm thoughts

I doubt Donald play next week after the tantrum he did after being ejected.
What I liked and didn't like about a few players....

Liked

Bow - back to form, the spiritual and physical leader of our D that everyone feeds on.

Ray Ray- he may be a perfect compliment to Bow, his speed and coverage skills allow him to fill into those small gaps in Bow's game.

The D-line- They are huge, strong, and athletic....and they are going to get better from here. They could be scary.

The Oline- good pockets, big holes, held up even without Tiller.

Kerely- Great hands and a sense for where the soft spots are...he is going to be the security blanket

Mixed

Gabbert- He runs the offense really well, but his accuracy is badly scattershot for long sections of the game. It has been that way for a while now, so I fear it isn't going anywhere.

Hyde - He is a stud...but man he take so many hits, I just don't see him making it a whole season.

Chip- He called a great game.....except that third quarter. I don't know what the hell he was doing there but it was way to early to take the foot off the gas. Run, Run, incomplete ....all up the gut. Scary....don't do that anymore.

Patton- protect the ball son!

Bad-

Celek....2 drops on a night when your QB needed you badly to capitalize on his better throws.

Torrey- remains to be seen but he has never seemed like a good fit to this offense for me that values quickness in short spaces over long straight line speed....this game furthered my concerns.

Draugn- debated putting him in mixed because he did some good things...but the turn overs are an issue stemming back to preseason. He HAS to clean that up. We need him to play a good bit if he have a prayer of seeing Hyde a whole season.
Wouldn't say we're "legit" but we have a lot of young hungry talent. Offensive line is dramatically better from when Jordan & Pears were starting, defense is NASTY and Chip Kelly runs circles around that sweaty swine Tomsula . However the terrible depth at WR & QB is what will keep this team down. If we could fill those holes we would be back in championship contending form
[ Edited by Aj_hwd954 on Sep 13, 2016 at 9:23 AM ]
Share 49ersWebzone