There are 669 users in the forums
49ers Preseason Week 1 2016 - Thoughts on the game...
Shop Find 49ers gear online
Aug 15, 2016 at 8:45 AM
- braap49er
- Veteran
- Posts: 7,911
You know the season has begun when Marvin's After The Game posts are back. Yay!!! Looking forward to reading everyone
Aug 15, 2016 at 8:51 AM
- SofaKing
- Veteran
- Posts: 27,442
Marv's thoughts after the game = football is back
Aug 15, 2016 at 8:54 AM
- SofaKing
- Veteran
- Posts: 27,442
Also dissapointed Kap didn't get to play. I agree, if he can show his playmaking ability, he still has a shot to win the job.
The improved o-line and running game bodes very well for him, especially to open up play-action. In 2012 and 2013 he was lethal throwing intermediate-deep off play action. He's never gonna be a drop-back, pick you apart type of QB. But at his best he can get chunk plays that change a game.
In regards to Gabbert, I don't think he was as bad as people suggest. The misthrows on those gimmes were ugly, but I'm more focused on the decision making which was there. He'll make those gimmes in the future. A couple nice scrambles as well.
The improved o-line and running game bodes very well for him, especially to open up play-action. In 2012 and 2013 he was lethal throwing intermediate-deep off play action. He's never gonna be a drop-back, pick you apart type of QB. But at his best he can get chunk plays that change a game.
In regards to Gabbert, I don't think he was as bad as people suggest. The misthrows on those gimmes were ugly, but I'm more focused on the decision making which was there. He'll make those gimmes in the future. A couple nice scrambles as well.
[ Edited by SofaKing on Aug 15, 2016 at 8:55 AM ]
Aug 15, 2016 at 8:56 AM
- SoCold
- Hall of Dumb
- Posts: 133,138
I thought it was meh.
The chick on the radio sucks.
The chick on the radio sucks.
Aug 15, 2016 at 8:57 AM
- Marvin49
- Hall of Fame
- Posts: 16,506
Originally posted by SofaKing:
Also dissapointed Kap didn't get to play. I agree, if he can show his playmaking ability, he still has a shot to win the job.
The improved o-line and running game bodes very well for him, especially to open up play-action. In 2012 and 2013 he was lethal throwing intermediate-deep off play action. He's never gonna be a drop-back, pick you apart type of QB. But at his best he can get chunk plays that change a game.
In regards to Gabbert, I don't think he was as bad as people suggest. The misthrows on those gimmes were ugly, but I'm more focused on the decision making which was there. He'll make those gimmes in the future. A couple nice scrambles as well.
No, I don't think Gabbert was horrible either, but I don't think he did anything to secure the job either.
Aug 15, 2016 at 8:58 AM
- Marvin49
- Hall of Fame
- Posts: 16,506
Originally posted by SoCold:
I thought it was meh.
The chick on the radio sucks.
Didn't hear any of her until they played some of her highlights in the stadium...was kinda hard to listen to. I don't have any problems with a woman doing the game, but her voice was a bit shrill for my taste.
Aug 15, 2016 at 9:01 AM
- SoCold
- Hall of Dumb
- Posts: 133,138
Originally posted by Marvin49:
Originally posted by SoCold:
I thought it was meh.
The chick on the radio sucks.
Didn't hear any of her until they played some of her highlights in the stadium...was kinda hard to listen to. I don't have any problems with a woman doing the game, but her voice was a bit shrill for my taste.
Didn't even sound excited for the TD. She was just like uh 49ers have their first touch of downs on the year.
lol really that was your TD call?
TOUCHDOWN 49ERS! is what I want to hear got damn it.
Aug 15, 2016 at 9:04 AM
- crabman82
- Veteran
- Posts: 17,024
Lol there's a female play by play radio voice? Interesting
Aug 15, 2016 at 9:04 AM
- sdaddy101269
- Veteran
- Posts: 4,737
Nice post Marvin! The only place I disagree with you is concerning the oline and Brown. He seemed to struggle with a couple of the Zone run, getting beat inside (see Hyde fumble play). I think Davis will supplant him at RT. Tiller looked good so it'll be interesting to see how they handle the guard spot with 3 good players vying for 2 spots.
Aug 15, 2016 at 9:05 AM
- Marvin49
- Hall of Fame
- Posts: 16,506
Originally posted by crabman82:
Lol there's a female play by play radio voice? Interesting
Just for yesterday and Broncos game. Ted Robinson is doing the Olympics.
Its Kate Scott from KNBR.
Aug 15, 2016 at 9:05 AM
- NYniner85
- Veteran
- Posts: 119,126
Originally posted by Marvin49:
Originally posted by SofaKing:
Also dissapointed Kap didn't get to play. I agree, if he can show his playmaking ability, he still has a shot to win the job.
The improved o-line and running game bodes very well for him, especially to open up play-action. In 2012 and 2013 he was lethal throwing intermediate-deep off play action. He's never gonna be a drop-back, pick you apart type of QB. But at his best he can get chunk plays that change a game.
In regards to Gabbert, I don't think he was as bad as people suggest. The misthrows on those gimmes were ugly, but I'm more focused on the decision making which was there. He'll make those gimmes in the future. A couple nice scrambles as well.
No, I don't think Gabbert was horrible either, but I don't think he did anything to secure the job either.
That's where I'm at...didn't really impress to the point of securing the job IMO. Sucks because I'd rather have a answer now. Also I agree with our OLBs Eli was nowhere to be found which is not good. I thought Tank made some plays which is a positive and our WRs are gonna be a real problem this yr IMO.
Aug 15, 2016 at 9:06 AM
- Marvin49
- Hall of Fame
- Posts: 16,506
Originally posted by sdaddy101269:
Nice post Marvin! The only place I disagree with you is concerning the oline and Brown. He seemed to struggle with a couple of the Zone run, getting beat inside (see Hyde fumble play). I think Davis will supplant him at RT. Tiller looked good so it'll be interesting to see how they handle the guard spot with 3 good players vying for 2 spots.
Not sure that was all on Brown on the fumble as I don't know what Tillers assignment was, but point taken.
[ Edited by Marvin49 on Aug 15, 2016 at 9:08 AM ]
Aug 15, 2016 at 9:07 AM
- PhillyNiner
- Veteran
- Posts: 8,995
Originally posted by sdaddy101269:
Nice post Marvin! The only place I disagree with you is concerning the oline and Brown. He seemed to struggle with a couple of the Zone run, getting beat inside (see Hyde fumble play). I think Davis will supplant him at RT. Tiller looked good so it'll be interesting to see how they handle the guard spot with 3 good players vying for 2 spots.
Everybody on the line had a blown assignment or two...it is to be expected. New scheme, new players around you etc. It will come together when they settle on who is starting.
Aug 15, 2016 at 9:07 AM
- sdaddy101269
- Veteran
- Posts: 4,737
Originally posted by NYniner85:Originally posted by Marvin49:Originally posted by SofaKing:Also dissapointed Kap didn't get to play. I agree, if he can show his playmaking ability, he still has a shot to win the job.
The improved o-line and running game bodes very well for him, especially to open up play-action. In 2012 and 2013 he was lethal throwing intermediate-deep off play action. He's never gonna be a drop-back, pick you apart type of QB. But at his best he can get chunk plays that change a game.
In regards to Gabbert, I don't think he was as bad as people suggest. The misthrows on those gimmes were ugly, but I'm more focused on the decision making which was there. He'll make those gimmes in the future. A couple nice scrambles as well.
No, I don't think Gabbert was horrible either, but I don't think he did anything to secure the job either.
That's where I'm at...didn't really impress to the point of securing the job IMO. Sucks because I'd rather have a answer now. Also I agree with our OLBs Eli was nowhere to be found which is not good. I thought Tank made some plays which is a positive and our WRs are gonna be a real problem this yr IMO.
I agree. I think our WRs will be the reason we struggle. I hate to say this but having Crabtree along with Torrey Smith would've been a good tandem.