Listen: 49ers Legend Vernon Davis Joins the Show →

There are 121 users in the forums

Chip Kelly's Coaching Staff: Who Will They Be?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by Jcool:
Matt Miller ‏@nfldraftscout

OK, 49ers fans, here's my wishlist coordinators to work with Chip Kelly:

John DeFilippio as OC, Tim Lewis as DC

I'd be good with that.
Originally posted by Joecool:
Would a legit DC want to be a DC of a team that has the Chip Kelly offense? I mean, who wants that much stress.

Maybe a DC that enjoys taking risks? If we're going to score a lot, might as well try getting the ball back soon.
Originally posted by baltien:
Matt Miller ‏@nfldraftscout

OK, 49ers fans, here's my wishlist coordinators to work with Chip Kelly:

John DeFilippio as OC, Tim Lewis as DC

How's Tim Lewis as a DC? Anyone have any stats right offhand?

Ranks: 7, 1, 7, 9, 13, 24, 25.

Hasn't been a DC though since 04-06 with the Giants so probably too long. Just like Ed Donatell who I wish we kept as secondary coach. He hasnt' been dc since 08 so even if he wanted to come back which I doubt it's probably been too long.
I've heard his QB coach Ryan Day will come in some capacity. But I like Pettine as DC. Didnt he coach for Seattle. OC wont matter
[ Edited by filthyrich49er on Jan 14, 2016 at 1:48 PM ]
  • Cjez
  • Hall of Fame
baalke gonna force him to keep mangina
Originally posted by KajunNiner:
You can bet on it Ryan Day will be OC. He played QB in college under Chip at New Hampshire then he brought him on as a coach for the Eagles.

Gimme Shurmur. Lots of history in the WCO and has been coaching in Chip's system for a few years now. If it doesn't work out with Chip you have an experienced, offensive-minded coach already on the staff.

How's that for continuity?
I never liked Mangini, always hated him actually. With our personnel, and Kelly's fast paced offense this is the one scenario where I think he would actually work. Complex scheme, sometimes too complex for defensive players to execute. But with an offense that scores points and a complex, opportunistic defense that relies on agressive blitz packages and causing turnovers it might actually work.
  • Cjez
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by bopicksix:
I never liked Mangini, always hated him actually. With our personnel, and Kelly's fast paced offense this is the one scenario where I think he would actually work. Complex scheme, sometimes too complex for defensive players to execute. But with an offense that scores points and a complex, opportunistic defense that relies on agressive blitz packages and causing turnovers it might actually work.

how about with an offense that has the fastest 3 and outs in the NFL?
A vanilla bend but don't break defensive scheme would be worst case scenario.
Originally posted by bopicksix:

But we weren't creating turnovers. I wouldn't mind Mangini but his scheme is complex AND ineffective.

I pray we fire him and go after someone who makes sense for the personnel we have on defense.

Originally posted by ChazBoner:
how about with an offense that has the fastest 3 and outs in the NFL?

Who cares if they score enough points in 60 mins that's all that matters. an agressive defense will put pressure back on the opposing offense
Originally posted by baltien:
But we weren't creating turnovers. I wouldn't mind Mangini but his scheme is complex AND ineffective.

I pray we fire him and go after someone who makes sense for the personnel we have on defense.

Year 1, starters weren't old enough to rent a car. We had one of if not the best defense in the NFL at home
Eagles led the league in turnovers the last two years
Tim Lewis for DC!! Either him or Pettine and I'll be happy. Just no more Mangini
Originally posted by saniner:
Tim Lewis for DC!! Either him or Pettine and I'll be happy. Just no more Mangini

Eric Reid votes for Tim Lewis
Share 49ersWebzone