LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 314 users in the forums

2016 Team Information (Needs)

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by jonnydel:
I'd like to see them possibly go after Tom Clements. http://www.packers.com/team/coaches/tom-clements/bb67e02f-a2b1-4543-83af-00f437249c9f

He's a bright offensive mind who's been under one of the best offensive coaches for a number of years and has earned the respect of both mccarthy and thompson enough that they've promoted him several times. Wed still have a WCO with west coast nomenclature, and you know he'd know how to coach qb's. I mean this was an offensive staff that got matt Flynn to throw for 500 yards in a game.

From there, the guy has been around enough and has enough gray hair that I think he'd be able to put together a quality staff.

Interesting thought. I like this line of thinking, indeed. Add him to the list.
I'd like to see them possibly go after Tom Clements. http://www.packers.com/team/coaches/tom-clements/bb67e02f-a2b1-4543-83af-00f437249c9f

He's a bright offensive mind who's been under one of the best offensive coaches for a number of years and has earned the respect of both mccarthy and thompson enough that they've promoted him several times. Wed still have a WCO with west coast nomenclature, and you know he'd know how to coach qb's. I mean this was an offensive staff that got matt Flynn to throw for 500 yards in a game.

From there, the guy has been around enough and has enough gray hair that I think he'd be able to put together a quality staff.

The GB flavor of the WCO is my favorite in the league right now. I'm sure a lot has to do with the efficency in which the QB operates it, but I just love watching that offense work.
Excellent choice. There are also 31 other OCs out there, and i would recommend getting them all lined up for interviews the moment the NFL reg season ends.

Read recently that Clements had playcalling taken from him by McCarthy...is that a comment on his relationship with Rodgers? The sluggishness of the GB offense? He has a tough time calling plays when there are no healthy receivers?
Originally posted by dtg_9er:

Read recently that Clements had playcalling taken from him by McCarthy...is that a comment on his relationship with Rodgers? The sluggishness of the GB offense? He has a tough time calling plays when there are no healthy receivers?

Which was fascinating to me b/c McCarthy called the offense for the first time last game and they ran for like 400 yards.
[ Edited by NCommand on Dec 15, 2015 at 1:53 PM ]
Originally posted by pasodoc9er:
Excellent choice. There are also 31 other OCs out there, and i would recommend getting them all lined up for interviews the moment the NFL reg season ends.

That won't be easy, teams can block lateral moves, so if we want another teams OC who is under contract, we have to have permission, and that team can deny it. Heck teams can deny position coaches from being interviewed. The Colts did that with Chud last offseason.
Originally posted by AB81Rules:

That won't be easy, teams can block lateral moves, so if we want another teams OC who is under contract, we have to have permission, and that team can deny it. Heck teams can deny position coaches from being interviewed. The Colts did that with Chud last offseason.

Yeah, we should know first hand how hard it is to get coaches. HC, OC, DC, etc. That's roughly 22+ coaches a FO needs to replace if they wipe everyone out...not only are you facing potential blocks for lateral moves but you're competing with a number of other FO's in need of a HC, OC, DC, etc. Many, like the Colts last year, will just use us for bargaining power at their current job.
[ Edited by NCommand on Dec 15, 2015 at 1:55 PM ]
Originally posted by AB81Rules:

I think that perhaps the Clement thing could work in this case. If he's mad about getting the play calling ripped he might want to go to a new team that guarantees a shot at playcalling duties. Now, I'm not saying that would be us given how s**tty it all played out last off season. To say we have a damage rep is putting it lightly.
Originally posted by Niners816:
I think that perhaps the Clement thing could work in this case. If he's mad about getting the play calling ripped he might want to go to a new team that guarantees a shot at playcalling duties. Now, I'm not saying that would be us given how s**tty it all played out last off season. To say we have a damage rep is putting it lightly.

That could be our big F...U... to the Packers for stealing McCarthy. Or...not.
Originally posted by NCommand:

Why not go after McCarthy...he's ten years younger than Clements.

Originally posted by dtg_9er:

Why not go after McCarthy...he's ten years younger than Clements.
To be clear - I was mentioning Clements as a potential HC. That would make the most sense to me - he wouldn't have to be the play-caller as the HC - even Bill Walsh stopped calling a lot of the plays once Holmgren arrived. In February he was promoted from OC to Assistant head coach/offensive coordinator. So, he's obviously being groomed as a top coach type guy - so there's that experience, plus, he's been a coordinator for a high powered offense for a long time, been on McCarthy's staff for 10 years and has a SB ring, so we know he knows how to win. Plus, it'd be a super D--k move by GB from blocking a guy who's been climbing the coaching ladder from taking a HC job. Very rarely do teams block other teams from interviewing guys as HC's - it's just kind of an unwritten rule of something you don't do. It really discourages any coaches from coming to your organization.

But, we know he knows how to coach an offense, build game-plans, work with QB's - which is the most important thing our team needs right now, to me. Some guys are like that, they can craft wonderful game plans and have all the HC type stuff together but aren't the best play-callers.

I think Jason Garrett is one of those type guys - though not the greatest example, I know.
[ Edited by jonnydel on Dec 15, 2015 at 2:43 PM ]
To be clear - I was mentioning Clements as a potential HC. That would make the most sense to me - he wouldn't have to be the play-caller as the HC - even Bill Walsh stopped calling a lot of the plays once Holmgren arrived. In February he was promoted from OC to Assistant head coach/offensive coordinator. So, he's obviously being groomed as a top coach type guy - so there's that experience, plus, he's been a coordinator for a high powered offense for a long time, been on McCarthy's staff for 10 years and has a SB ring, so we know he knows how to win. Plus, it'd be a super D--k move by GB from blocking a guy who's been climbing the coaching ladder from taking a HC job. Very rarely do teams block other teams from interviewing guys as HC's - it's just kind of an unwritten rule of something you don't do. It really discourages any coaches from coming to your organization.

But, we know he knows how to coach an offense, build game-plans, work with QB's - which is the most important thing our team needs right now, to me. Some guys are like that, they can craft wonderful game plans and have all the HC type stuff together but aren't the best play-callers.

I think Jason Garrett is one of those type guys - though not the greatest example, I know.

Yes, got that, but I was just having some fun! Clements may not have the personality to be a HC, a position he's never held. I think it's unlikely he would want to take on the niners, but who knows? I'd rather see someone with experience, but then you get the "retread" label and will have some negatives. I'm still wondering about Shanahan Sr. as HC/Pres, Baalke as GM, Gase as Assistant HC/OC and Mangini at DC. That would add two very good offensvie football minds, one experienced and one young. Not sure if Shanahan and Gase could coexist.

Edit: if you substitute Clements for Gase it might work as well...but with a shorter shelf life.
[ Edited by dtg_9er on Dec 15, 2015 at 2:56 PM ]
Needs:
1) HC
2) RT
3) C (If Kilgore can't stay healthy)
4) a passrush
Originally posted by TheXFactor:
Needs:
1) HC
2) RT
4) a passrush

Truthfully...you get those 4 cornerstones and you're rolling.
Originally posted by TheXFactor:
Needs:
1) HC
2) RT
4) a passrush

Truthfully...you get those 4 cornerstones and you're rolling.

Plus an OG or two, ILB, and a QB.
[ Edited by dtg_9er on Dec 15, 2015 at 2:57 PM ]
Share 49ersWebzone